2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Oh man, played a round at Crystalaire CC today (CA) and in the 70s weather, sunshine and just a slight breeze, I really enjoyed my driving on this course. I even tried to work the ball but this thing is sooo damn straight - the end result is that it JUST moves the fade or draw that I wanted.

Judging by where I landed, this is the longest driver I've ever hit on that course and that includes the FS2 with the Gramman 780.

The pype is an amazing shaft and it carried the ball past all the danger bunkers with ease...this allowed me to absolutely murder my foursome that I played it and that includes on 250+ guy that hits a 8.5 Callaway Tour X460 a friggin mile. Lil ole me was keeping up with him, if not past him and more accurate while he was spraying left right and and all over the place. Sure they gave me sh*t about the sound but there's nothing like whistling as I drove past his ball at the end...

Except for a couple of f00ked up holes due to the poor wedge work, it was about my best score on course so far and it's dropping!

If anyone is in doubt - just get the L4V and add in the pype. Freakin amazing driver! The Kool Aid continues...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I have a 9* X and want to keep my launch angle about the same (about 13*) and reduce spin. The stock redboard is giving me about 3500-3600 RPM. Would the X flex redboard do this or should I look at a blueboard or Rombax 6W06? I'm guessing that a protopype or whiteboard might kill my launch angle.....

Another option would be to switch to a 10* F L4V and go with one of the lower lauchning shafts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My swing speed is around 103-104.

Thanks!

If anyone is in doubt - just get the L4V and add in the pype. Freakin amazing driver! The Kool Aid continues...

Great to hear Swing...still waiting patiently...for winter to end here.

it'll come soon saw - hang in there...or you could always fly over to Los Angeles..:rolleyes:

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

Great to hear Swing...still waiting patiently...for winter to end here.

it'll come soon saw - hang in there...or you could always fly over to Los Angeles.. ;)

LOL...okay, okay you buy the (return) flight tickets for me...and I'll cover our green fees! :rolleyes: Yeah...I'm hoping our season starts within a month, or so.

Okay...back on topic...L4V's

I have a 9* X and want to keep my launch angle about the same (about 13*) and reduce spin. The stock redboard is giving me about 3500-3600 RPM. Would the X flex redboard do this or should I look at a blueboard or Rombax 6W06? I'm guessing that a protopype or whiteboard might kill my launch angle.....

Another option would be to switch to a 10* F L4V and go with one of the lower lauchning shafts.

Thanks!

Can anybody help me out with this question?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Can anybody help me out with this question?

Thanks!

Put the Blue Board in there and enjoy it.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I always hate picking a shaft. I'm stuck between the VS Proto, Pershing, PM702, or PYPE all in stiff. My SS is 105-110ish, I hate boardy feeling clubs, so I'm looking for a smooth shaft. The more I read the more I wanna slam my head in a door. :rolleyes:

If I may suggest...and you did not mention this particular shaft...but it sounds like the Diamana Whiteboard 63X would be ideal for you. That is what I am using and it's a dream to swing. Very smooth...loads well...and really helpled me bring the ball flight down from the stock shaft. Granted my SS is higher than yours...and I still hit the ball a touch higher than what I consider ideal...but if I lower the tee height just a bit, all is dead perfect.

Worth consideration IMHO.

RIDE

I notice alot of people are going with X-stiff shafts, is this due to the weight of the head, or are all of you beasts. :rolleyes:

I've contemplated putting the Whiteboard in it, which seems like alot of people are having great success with it. Is the WB more tip stiff than the Protopype? Gonna search around for a good price on that and see what I come up with. ;)

I can't compare it to the Pype as I have never hit it. But to answer your question....YES, we are all beasts! :rolleyes: At least we are now! LOL

Seriously though...the head weight of the L4V and shallow insertion depth of the shaft, make the shaft you choose play softer than it's flex. That is why you see many people tipping their shafts and going up a flex. In retrospect, I should have tipped mine a 1/2" or so....but I am playing it at 44.75" as is, and have no room to do that.

RIDE

I was laughing during your post because I did the same thing. Same reaction with the L4V, FT-5, etc. I bought the FT-5 with the Aldila NVS 65 S. WOW.

L4V was solid, but FT-5 worked better for me.

Why don't you try an L4V with an NVS-65 or similar shaft if you want to make an informed decision. I mean come on...comparing just about any stock OEM shaft w/ a custom Nano-tech shaft is hardly a good comparison. I'm sorry but unless I'm missing something in your post it just does not make sense.

You know, with all the talk around here about swapping in and out shafts, it seems some of you have no clue that 99% of the golfing public does not have the time nor the $$$ to do so.

I mean come on now - when Cobra has a cart full of shafts they can swap in and out of the L4V head, perhaps THEN we can make a "good comparison" ?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Unless *I* am missing something in your post it just doesn't make sense.

I can't compare it to the Pype as I have never hit it. But to answer your question....YES, we are all beasts! ;) At least we are now! LOL

Seriously though...the head weight of the L4V and shallow insertion depth of the shaft, make the shaft you choose play softer than it's flex. That is why you see many people tipping their shafts and going up a flex. In retrospect, I should have tipped mine a 1/2" or so....but I am playing it at 44.75" as is, and have no room to do that.

RIDE

I kinda figured it was due to the head weight making the tip softer than it traditionally plays. Well if all else fails and it doesn't work, I pull the shaft and sell it. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know the insertion depth of the L4V x? i just picked up one with a Ozik xcon 5 that measures out a bit longer than 45" and just wondering what that means. How long are these shafts before they are prepared for a clubhead? Do they come in varying lengths. Have not had a chance to hit this yet and do not yet know what it cpms at. It was professionally installed by a very reputable Matrix ozik dealer. Btw my swing speed is around 102-106 with a smooth swing. Have a bit of a of flat swing so I thought this might be a good combo. Got a decent price on this given you are talking about a $700 retail club with the shaft upgrade. already have a friend who will take it off my hands for more than I paid if I don't like it. I am starting to trade drivers more than i trade stocks!

thx

dff

I notice alot of people are going with X-stiff shafts, is this due to the weight of the head, or are all of you beasts. ;)

I've contemplated putting the Whiteboard in it, which seems like alot of people are having great success with it. Is the WB more tip stiff than the Protopype? Gonna search around for a good price on that and see what I come up with. :D

It just depends on your SS, and proper fitting. Some may find themselves in between flexes...so a tipped S could work, or a stock X might fit the bill.

No...the Pype is more tip stiff (stock).

You know, with all the talk around here about swapping in and out shafts, it seems some of you have no clue that 99% of the golfing public does not have the time nor the $$$ to do so.

I mean come on now - when Cobra has a cart full of shafts they can swap in and out of the L4V head, perhaps THEN we can make a "good comparison" ?!?!?! :rolleyes:

I've read the other threads on other current Drivers out right now. Guess what...they're all doing the same thing...SWAPPIN' SHAFTS to find the optimal set-up. Some people trying other Drivers have already gone the L4V route, and decided it wasn't for them. Most of us on GolfWRX would not be in the 99% you talk about. Most times the 99% have no clue.

Someday they may have one...until then...sorry. You can always ask nicely here, and someone will most certainly help. You can always try to find someone here with similar SPEC's, and ask for assistance. None of us work for Cobra...so just coming on here whining, won't accomplish anything.

Does anyone know the insertion depth of the L4V x? i just picked up one with a Ozik xcon 5 that measures out a bit longer than 45" and just wondering what that means. How long are these shafts before they are prepared for a clubhead? Do they come in varying lengths. Have not had a chance to hit this yet and do not yet know what it cpms at. It was professionally installed by a very reputable Matrix ozik dealer. Btw my swing speed is around 102-106 with a smooth swing. Have a bit of a of flat swing so I thought this might be a good combo. Got a decent price on this given you are talking about a $700 retail club with the shaft upgrade. already have a friend who will take it off my hands for more than I paid if I don't like it. I am starting to trade drivers more than i trade stocks!

thx

dff

Insertion depth is 1.25".

Most are 46" uncut (brand new).

I was laughing during your post because I did the same thing. Same reaction with the L4V, FT-5, etc. I bought the FT-5 with the Aldila NVS 65 S. WOW.

Why don't you try an L4V with an NVS-65 or similar shaft if you want to make an informed decision. I mean come on...comparing just about any stock OEM shaft w/ a custom Nano-tech shaft is hardly a good comparison. I'm sorry but unless I'm missing something in your post it just does not make sense.

Yes you missed something... Problem is, and you would have seen this if you read deeper, is that Cobra doesn't offer anything else. And unless you know others with the L4V with different shafts, you can't exactly try it, right? I didn't feel like dropping the cash for an experiment. The FT-5 worked for me, Opti Fit worked for me. Clear now?

Oh look, a pissing match...

Anyway, I did get to hit mine today and it was interesting. Hitting the ball low on the face is a no-no IMO. Tee it high and then lift it to the moon worked best for me. And don't worry about it going left... Going to shorten it to 44.5" from 45.25". Didn't sound bad either.

Couldn't tell much on distance or roll since I was hitting into snow banks. It is certainly impossible to tell how far the ball is going/went when it lands in a field of snow in full sunshine...:rolleyes:

So far, so good.

307golf

Exactly my point, thank you Rock. I am sure the L4V is awesome, but I tried it with the resources I had and it didn't work. Unfortunately for Cobra, Callaway and others are one up on the whole fitting process (Opti fit). It works, simple as that.

I would love to try an L4V with an aftermarket shaft if anyone is in Manhattan and wants to share...

I notice alot of people are going with X-stiff shafts, is this due to the weight of the head, or are all of you beasts. ;)

I've contemplated putting the Whiteboard in it, which seems like alot of people are having great success with it. Is the WB more tip stiff than the Protopype? Gonna search around for a good price on that and see what I come up with. :D

It just depends on your SS, and proper fitting. Some may find themselves in between flexes...so a tipped S could work, or a stock X might fit the bill.

No...the Pype is more tip stiff (stock).

I've read the other threads on other current Drivers out right now. Guess what...they're all doing the same thing...SWAPPIN' SHAFTS to find the optimal set-up. Some people trying other Drivers have already gone the L4V route, and decided it wasn't for them. Most of us on GolfWRX would not be in the 99% you talk about. Most times the 99% have no clue.

Someday they may have one...until then...sorry. You can always ask nicely here, and someone will most certainly help. You can always try to find someone here with similar SPEC's, and ask for assistance. None of us work for Cobra...so just coming on here whining, won't accomplish anything.

thx

dff

Insertion depth is 1.25".

Most are 46" uncut (brand new).

LOL, too much Kool Aid Phil!!!

You make several good points, but I think what we're trying to say is that other companies are making it easier to swap out and try other shafts BEFORE you buy.

Even someone with similar specs could have different results. Taking a $6-700 risk isn't in most people's budgets.

Again, just trying to point out that when people are comparing OFF THE SHELF (and options available off the shelf, before you have to buy), Cobra is coming up short BECAUSE of their stock shafts. No harm intended, just an observation.

LOL, too much Kool Aid Phil!!!

You make several good points, but I think what we're trying to say is that other companies are making it easier to swap out and try other shafts BEFORE you buy.

Even someone with similar specs could have different results. Taking a $6-700 risk isn't in most people's budgets.

Again, just trying to point out that when people are comparing OFF THE SHELF (and options available off the shelf, before you have to buy), Cobra is coming up short BECAUSE of their stock shafts. No harm intended, just an observation.

More like not enough...I've been ready to go with my L4V since Feb.19th. I can't do much of anything (golf wise) until winter gives up here. I agree it would have been great if Cobra had something like Callaway has. Very cool. Takes alot of guess work out of the equation. No problem...I see where you're coming from. Another thing...that may have helped Cobra, is if they would have tipped shafts for people. They wouldn't tip anything.

May have helped to some extent.

please excuse my ignorance as i know nothing about clubmaking. If Ozik xcons come 46" uncut, and the insertion depth of the L4V is 1.25-1.5", how do you get a 45-45 1/4 finished length? is it not a full bore job? is that what blind boreing is? (inserting only part way in before epoxy/glue? won't that lower cpm and make shaft a bit softer? is there any minimum insertion requirement?

thanks in advance

dff

please excuse my ignorance as i know nothing about clubmaking. If Ozik xcons come 46" uncut, and the insertion depth of the L4V is 1.25-1.5", how do you get a 45-45 1/4 finished length? is it not a full bore job? is that what blind boreing is? (inserting only part way in before epoxy/glue? won't that lower cpm and make shaft a bit softer? is there any minimum insertion requirement?

thanks in advance

dff

A blind bore would be like a 905R where its a full bore. You could blind bore it so the shaft would play true to flex.

L4V is not full bore.

Depending if you want to tip it based on the manufacturer. You glue the shaft all the way in and then you butt trim to desired length.

A good example of a shaft installation preperation is here from Diamana's web site

Trimming Instructions for Diamana Series (All Flexes)

Use the following guidelines to fine tune the performance of your Diamana shaft.

Basically for standard performance you would not tip and insert the shaft to full depth in the l4v at 1 1/2.

For Stiffer performance you would tip 1/2 inch then inserts to depth of 1 1/2

For Standard Performance:

* Blind Bore - No Tip.

* Bore Through - No Tip. Insert shaft to 1 ½" depth.

Stiffer Performance for Driver and Standard Performance for Fairway wood:

* Blind Bore - ½" Tip.

* Bore Through - No Tip. Insert shaft to 2" depth.

L4VX & Diamana Blueboard 103X is glued/gripped & ready and has trip to the range pending in 30 minutes

Oh FT guys .... Since I have owned a couple jillion of them LCGS - Tour this - Tour That ... Ummmm

Lemme know how it goes when you need to reshaft it .. Takes us L4 guys about 60 minutes from "I hate this" to "Cool - I like this shaft better"

Lemme know how it feels drilling out a $300 shaft jjuuuuuusssstttttt bcuz it didn't work quite right ... Yeah - Lemme know how it goes have to buy 3 drill bits and dremmel reemer bit - or hire "your guy" who's an "expert" .... Uh huh .. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. Lemme know how ya like taking 3 hours careful drilling whats left of your shaft being sure to not make contact with the crown cuz there is no hossel. ;) - ALL IN FUN !!!!!!!!! ;)

Juuussstttt sayin .... But NO knock on FT-5 - It did have some good firepower - but its not in the L4s league - IN MY OPINION ... and that's just me ;) ... FT-5 was pretty anti-left - I did like that ;)

Rob,

That is why I Mix is such a good idea for your type of guy.

Wait till a few more months this thing on the markets and people start swapping them on ebay, you'll hear " this is the best thing ever happen to us" :D " I love it ". :D

Basically, interchangeable head and shaft are going to be a fun stuff for junkies like us. Lots of new story gonna come out for them for sure. ;)

Reshafting them going to be less and easy, buy and sell will be more action, etc

Joe

L4VX & Diamana Blueboard 103X is glued/gripped & ready and has trip to the range pending in 30 minutes

Oh FT guys .... Since I have owned a couple jillion of them LCGS - Tour this - Tour That ... Ummmm

Lemme know how it goes when you need to reshaft it .. Takes us L4 guys about 60 minutes from "I hate this" to "Cool - I like this shaft better"

Lemme know how it feels drilling out a $300 shaft jjuuuuuusssstttttt bcuz it didn't work quite right ... Yeah - Lemme know how it goes have to buy 3 drill bit and dremmel reemer bit - or hire "your guy" who's an "expert" .... Uh huh .. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. Lemme know how ya like taking 3 hours careful drilling whats left of your shaft being sure to not make contact with the crown cuz there is no hossel. ;) - ALL IN FUN !!!!!!!!! ;)

Juuussstttt sayin .... But NO knock on FT-5 - It did have some good firepower - but its not in the L4s league - IN MY OPINION ... and that's just me ;) ... FT-5 was pretty anti-left - I did like that ;)

Yeah but Cobra will catch up on it. Just cause Callaway got the 1st horse out of the gate doesn't mean Cobra will still sleep at the helm, remember the L4V has been out a while now, longer than this iMix stuff...and then Cobra can charge the extra buku for it.

Who knows, maybe by then there's a new 2nd edition of the L4V out then...

Alls good...and YES, this driver is NOT FOR EVERYONE, each to their own.

Yes you missed something... Problem is, and you would have seen this if you read deeper, is that Cobra doesn't offer anything else. And unless you know others with the L4V with different shafts, you can't exactly try it, right? I didn't feel like dropping the cash for an experiment. The FT-5 worked for me, Opti Fit worked for me. Clear now?

Sir, you are in fact way off base. Cobra offers plenty of custom shafts options ranging from $0-$160 upcharge when ordered through Cobra Custom. If you had read this thread you would have known that and you could have ordered one with your NVS shaft too. The point you are making about Opti Fit is a valid point and I don't disagree that it's a good system. It was not at all clear on your post that you were making this correlation as the main factor in your decision to get the F5. If you had bothered to read at least a good portion of this thread you would have realized that it's main purpose is for L4V owners and potential owners to trade information about what shafts work well with this club. Your point about cost and feasibility was not clear in your original post and is not really relevant anyway. You just sounded like another uniformed poster who hit the stock shaft on a range....saw this popular thread...and decided to post some useless diatribe about how you made a better decision. Problem is you didn't make an informed decision and you post sure did not succeed at informing anyone of anything.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who suggested the Pershing.........always liked the YS-6 but felt it was a little soft..........I've honestly picked up 25 to 30 yards, due to ball hitting and rolling instead of plugging............much more control with the Pershing, I've got to really try to turn it over....I am 54(old fart) swing speed around 102.....Thanks again

I went with a 65S...tipped one inch per mfg instructions and then an additional 1/2 inch.....at 45

A bit off topic but in the hands of a qualified fitter like Joe there is clear benefit to fitting systems like the Opti-fit. I do not dispute that. The problem for me is that I can go to 5 different fitters in my area and receive 5 different loft/shaft recommendations. I'm not sure if this has to due with the different monitors, calibration, spec differences or what have you but it's a real issue. It also concerns me that the head I receive is most definitely not going to measure the same as the head I was fitted with. You should be able to walk out of the store with the exact head that you hit. I mix is better in this regard. End of manifeso

An I-Mix L4 would be so sweet.

Rob, how has the heavy shaft testing been? I am thinking about building a second one with a lower launching shaft. I hit the Blue Board to the moon, but it just spins so freakin low that it doesn't matter.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5