2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

My L4VF lasted 2 rounds. Just too much spin for me, typical of all the high MOI drivers for me. Straight but short and because I wnt to get that distance back I swing extra then lose the straightness.

I really wanted to like it because I used the Forged SS for so long and felt bad for ditching them for TB1000s. :good:

I even put my favorite shaft the Graman 640 in there. Maybe my 100ss just was too puny.

Looks like I will sell it soon to pick up a MP600. I have hit that really well.

Guys I just do not understand how you can cope with the sound. Everytime I see someone on the course with one of these things or the nike square headed job I just think to myself what a moron. No matter how good they are. It is DEAFININGLY loud. I would much prefer to give up the 10 yards and save my ears as well as everyone within a mile radius of me. There is a reason you do not see or I should say hear any pros drivers sound like this. They would be laughed off the course.

Doesn't Camilo play a L4V X?

Edit: Yes he does

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

Shortly after the Buick, he switched to a 9* driver because his spin rate was too low.

I presume I should have expected this response. There are so many things to respond to here I guess I will just pick my favorites.

1) The driver is long. I have hit it. However it is tough to work and like I said I cannot and will not get over the sound. Its a deal breaker for me. If I could get it muted I would buy one.

2) I have no desire to buy a driver that I need to put a 200 dollar shaft in and spend another 100 dollars to mute it. That becomes a pricey little toy.

3) If you gain 30 yards with this club then the stick you were hitting before either did not fit you, was an outdated model or a combination of both. You cannot achieve 30 yards by just switching clubs unless the previous stick was a poor fit. It is impossible. You truely are drinking the kool-aid.

4) I am aware Camillo plays it. If you took the time to read my post i said I cannot imagine a pro playing a driver that SOUNDS like that. His does not sound ANYTHING like the ones you guys are killing peoples ears with.

Theres a reason for that however. And it is not just the sound. The sound takes away from the sensation of a shot. As a golfer who plays in competition I like to hear and feel solid shots. Instead of hearing an NCAA baseball tournament when I tee off I prefer a solid thump. Much like each and every single professional does since ALL of these guys are doing something to mute these heads.

If it works for you...great. That is what golf is all about but give yourself some credit its you hitting the ball 30 yards further...not the club. You also may want to look up "placebo effect" I hear it's about 50 percent typically.

Give me a reasonble cost to mute one and I will put it up against my 905R and see which wins. With a ball speed of 177 and a swing speed of 125 it will be interesting to see if it can knock out my gamer.

With all the positive reviews I am sure it is possible.

Long live the kool-aid hopefully I can get a cup without the noise.

Cheers.

Spot on.

Just hit my L4V-X w/stock stiff today at the range for the first time. It went up against my R7 425 TP w/stiff GD PM-702 and G10 w/stiff Pershing-65.

Even with the stock shaft, I was impressed. Straighter than all-get-out and plenty long. Seemed to be close in length to my 425, which is the longest club I've hit (w/present set-up). Ball-flight was definitely on the high side, but no ballooning. Solid and very, very stable through impact.

In order to lower ball-flight some, I have another PM-702 shaft slated for the L4V (was bummed, BTW, my proshop didn't want to reshaft due to the composite head and fear of damaging it. Now I have to find someone who can do it!).

The 702 is my favorite shaft to date, so I'm anxious to hit the L4V with it. I'm not sure if I'll get the distance gains of others, and frankly, I don't care. I'm just looking for a fairway splitter that can get out there. One time at the range is next to meaningless, but still, there was enough there to impress and intrigue.

As for sound, sure, it's louder than most. I tend to notice when others are hitting a loud club but when I'm doing the hitting, I don't even notice it. So it's really a non-factor for me. Besides, if my regular partners take exception to its sound, that will probably only make me like the club even more. ;-)

Without going through almost 1800 posts, would people recommend the X or F for a swing speed of about 110 with a tendancy to hit fades?

F speed. Most of them sit very square, but they are heel weighted slightly which will help with the fades. You may end up slicing the X model due to its usually open face. In all likelihood, your SS will balloon any of the stock shafts so be prepared to change shafts or do a custom order.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

I llllove the sound, I didn't notice it to be louder than Cleveland XLS or any other drivers. Nike and Wilson are waaaay louder.

What should I care about when I reshaft the head? Is it dangerous for destroying the head? :good:

Thanks

Just heat away from the carbon and wrap the body of the head with a wet towel and you will be just fine. Not hard to reshaft at all.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Without going through almost 1800 posts, would people recommend the X or F for a swing speed of about 110 with a tendancy to hit fades?

Without a Shadow of doubt , the F ........i had the slightest of fade in my drives now its almost NIL to Straight................ The Diamana Redboard is also exellent , altho ive got a EPIC going in 2mrw.

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Took my new L4V X (with stiff PL red @ 44.5") over the weekend out for the first time with mixed results. Lots of shots hooking to the left...but I'm sure that was due to my swing and not the club...the few I was able to hit straight were Looong...hard to judge cause of the windy conditions...but every bit as good as my FT5.

Just curious...what swing weight is every one swinging this club with? I have a fairly aggresive swing...last measured swing speed was about 108.

My L4V currently measures in at D2. Thinking of upping this a bit to D4 or 5.

comments are welcome...thanks

PB

Took my new L4V X (with stiff PL red @ 44.5") over the weekend out for the first time with mixed results. Lots of shots hooking to the left...but I'm sure that was due to my swing and not the club...the few I was able to hit straight were Looong...hard to judge cause of the windy conditions...but every bit as good as my FT5.

Just curious...what swing weight is every one swinging this club with? I have a fairly aggresive swing...last measured swing speed was about 108.

My L4V currently measures in at D2. Thinking of upping this a bit to D4 or 5.

comments are welcome...thanks

PB

Is that an untipped S flex

My L4VF lasted 2 rounds. Just too much spin for me, typical of all the high MOI drivers for me. Straight but short and because I wnt to get that distance back I swing extra then lose the straightness.

I really wanted to like it because I used the Forged SS for so long and felt bad for ditching them for TB1000s. :D

I even put my favorite shaft the Graman 640 in there. Maybe my 100ss just was too puny.

Looks like I will sell it soon to pick up a MP600. I have hit that really well.

Something does not sound right here. If you find the right shaft I don't think spin will be a problem for you. But it does take some time and money though.

A +1 golfer.

If you're a +1 why are you even worried about getting the L4V anyway. Clearly whatever you are hitting now (905R?) is working for you...just stick with that and stop complaining about the sound already. It's horse that's already been beat to death a long time ago on this thread. If you didn't notice yet...the people who are now hitting it straighter and farther don't seem to care very much....

A little PSA for those people worried about the noise made by your L4V as the ball sails 10-15 yds past your old drive: The noise will be drowned out by the sound eminating from your playing partners mouths and that of the gallery behind you yelling "Holy *$%#!!!" in unison. Trust me. You won't hear a thing. :D ;) :D

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

I don't think Immelman has done much to mute his driver!!! The L4V couldn't possibly sound as bad as that Nike abomination he hits could it???

Watched every shot of the tourney. Did not noitce the sound of his driver one time. The l4v sounds MUCH worse.

Exhibit A

Sound just fine in this clip... I think the L4's sound is great... of course, my last driver was the old F-speed that would make my ears ring for 5 minutes when I nutted one.

A +1 golfer.

If you're a +1 why are you even worried about getting the L4V anyway. Clearly whatever you are hitting now (905R?) is working for you...just stick with that and stop complaining about the sound already. It's horse that's already been beat to death a long time ago on this thread. If you didn't notice yet...the people who are now hitting it straighter and farther don't seem to care very much....

A +1 shouldn't look to improve his/her equipment? Contrary to popular belief a lot of people do care about the sound. Let's go for the trifecta...longer, straighter and quieter.

A +1 golfer.

A +1 shouldn't look to improve his/her equipment? Contrary to popular belief a lot of people do care about the sound. Let's go for the trifecta...longer, straighter and quieter.

Boy how much stock do you guys own in cobra? Let's see I guess you also think that the club is what makes someone a good golfer since it is "working for me" Here is a hint...When you are playing golf around par EVERY stroke matters. Especially when you play competitively. I have a simple rule. If something makes me play better I put it in my bag. If it does not then I keep what I got. I am ALWAYS trying new stuff. For instance I now use scratch wedges. Knocked my trust clevelands right out of the bag because they perform better. I have a very repetitive swing so I can tell what will benifit me right off the bat. We will see if a muted l4v is that stick.

Since you guys are SO hypersensative on this topic I guess you fail to see what I have been saying all along. I LIKED THE DRIVER JUST NOT THE SOUND!!! Re freaking lax. No one is going to break into your rooms with the WWE posters on the walls, Pantera blasting so loud it is shaking the natural ice out of the can and steal your precious beat stick and on the way out key your cherry 97 z28.

Isn't is awsome that golf has become all about I hit the ball longer than you and I dont give a s*^t that my drivers too loud because you can kiss my a** I CRUSH THE BALL MO FO!!!! Thats right little man I CRUSH IT!!!!! That is what you guys sound like.

Truth be told I hit the ball plenty far. The accuracy of this club is what I am after.

I willl let you know how my muted one works out. I am working with Joe to build one.

I think it smells funny too !!!!

ARE WE REALLY going to post endless posts about sound ... REALLY ???

If you don't like it - DON'T BUY IT !!!!!!!

and apparently Cobra isn't too worried about the few who hate the sound cuz they can't make these fast enuf - Trust me I KNOW !!!!!!!!

WE GET IT .... some don't like the sound ... BUt ANYONE who has ever hit ANY Cobra is used to from word one - and those who weren't according to the 19 QUINTILLION emails I have rcvd seem to like the extra yardage/accuracy

BUT NO MATTER HOW MANY times you post about it ...... psssstttttt .... It's not going to change :D

Turn the channel .... ;) - Quit the hating ... It gets SOOOOOOOOO tired SOOOOOOOOO quickly ... It really does

and apparently Cobra isn't too worried about the few who hate the sound cuz they can't make these fast enuf - Trust me I KNOW !!!!!!!!

WE GET IT .... some don't like the sound ... BUt ANYONE who has ever hit ANY Cobra is used to from word one - and those who weren't according to the 19 QUINTILLION emails I have rcvd seem to like the extra yardage/accuracy

BUT NO MATTER HOW MANY times you post about it ...... psssstttttt .... It's not going to change :D

Turn the channel .... ;) - Quit the hating ... It gets SOOOOOOOOO tired SOOOOOOOOO quickly ... It really does

Actually what gets tired is people who don't read entire posts. Your a credible guy so I will go easy but if you actually read my post I stated that

A) I liked the driver minus the sound

B) I plan on getting a muted one built

Shouldn't that make you happy?

I guess you cannot please everyone. Especially those who flip out at the first sign of negativity over there precious product.

Step away from the computer....you can keep your l4v...

I am going to get one too.

We will all win.

Exhale....

dont take this personal but you dont get it. for many its not about not liking the sound but not bearing the sound.

also, this doesn`t be mean those people dont like or hate the driver. they are very interested because it performs. they just dont like the sound.

i have realized you dont care about the sound. thats great. but there are others who do care and STILL are interested in this driver.

i personally am tired of reading post #1414155 about how far this driver is. now i want to know if theres a way to mute it.

Hold on there ... I took your post in the spirit intended :D

And looking forward to your review I might ad !!!!

BUT AS WE HAVE ALL SEEN on the net ... Once a slant gets a little momentum it's becomes a cult following of it's own ... Juuuussstttttt cutting it off at the pass

ALL GOOD !!!!!!!!

and again .... looking forward to your review

I think & hope we have addressed the sound issue (which I don't even think it's loud anyway)

A +1 golfer.

Boy how much stock do you guys own in cobra? Let's see I guess you also think that the club is what makes someone a good golfer since it is "working for me" Here is a hint...When you are playing golf around par EVERY stroke matters. Especially when you play competitively. I have a simple rule. If something makes me play better I put it in my bag. If it does not then I keep what I got. I am ALWAYS trying new stuff. For instance I now use scratch wedges. Knocked my trust clevelands right out of the bag because they perform better. I have a very repetitive swing so I can tell what will benifit me right off the bat. We will see if a muted l4v is that stick.

Since you guys are SO hypersensative on this topic I guess you fail to see what I have been saying all along. I LIKED THE DRIVER JUST NOT THE SOUND!!! Re freaking lax. No one is going to break into your rooms with the WWE posters on the walls, Pantera blasting so loud it is shaking the natural ice out of the can and steal your precious beat stick and on the way out key your cherry 97 z28.

Isn't is awsome that golf has become all about I hit the ball longer than you and I dont give a s*^t that my drivers too loud because you can kiss my a** I CRUSH THE BALL MO FO!!!! Thats right little man I CRUSH IT!!!!! That is what you guys sound like.

Truth be told I hit the ball plenty far. The accuracy of this club is what I am after.

I willl let you know how my muted one works out. I am working with Joe to build one.

I've followed this thread from day #1, I think this is quite possibly the funiest post I have ever read- no offense to anyone, it's just really funny. :D

By the way, I really am in a love/ hate relationship with this thread/ driver... I LOVE my FT-5, but I really want to pick one up off EBAY or the BST with an aftermarket shaft... We shall see.