2019 CP Women's Open Aug 22 - 25

Argonne69

> @18majors said:

> In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

>

> ___________

> Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

I agree In Gee is as nice as it comes; but like Brooke, she plays to win. She’s won 14 professional events as you know.

Her recent struggles are caused by back injuries from Singapore that necessitated swing changes; it takes time for new swings to dial in.

When she won KEB Hana Bank last year; she chipped in to save par at par 3 #12. She’s as determined and cool handed as any other players.

> @18majors said:

> > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> >

> > ___________

> > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

>

> I agree In Gee is as nice as it comes; but like Brooke, she plays to win. She’s won 14 professional events as you know.

> Her recent struggles are caused by back injuries from Singapore that necessitated swing changes; it takes time for new swings to dial in.

> When she won KEB Hana Bank last year; she chipped in to save par at par 3 #12. She’s as determined and cool handed as any other players.

Whoa ... in In Gee's time on tour (the LPGA) she has only won 3 times in 4 years. Her rookie year was her best year. But, you simply cannot compare her to Brooke or any other player for that matter ... it's a "stand alone" question. Nonetheless, she does have a knack for winning the bigger events such as the USWO and the Evian in a dominant manner.

You simply cannot compare success on the KLPGA or JLPGA to that of the LPGA. The strength and depth of field is just so much better on the LPGA.

Don't get me wrong, I really do hope she can recapture her form, and she is very tough to root against (I dont know anyone that does to be frank)! Her persona is such that I just can't help but cheer for her!

Anyway, the gist of your comment is that you think that she's a "baby faced assassin" so to speak. I'm not as strong in my conviction as you are ... but I guess we shall see -- I definitely hope that she does.

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

>

> ___________

> Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> >

> > ___________

> > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

>

> Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

I suspected that someone would rely on Lydia as an example, but Lydia is irrelevant to In Gee and the discussion ... it's how In Gee responds to the situations that are facing her and not Lydia.

Anyway, I will most likely stop responding to the question ... I was curious if anyone else shared similar "thoughts" .... and so far, the answer is "no" ... and rather than trying to better describe my thoughts on the question, I will cease as i dont want this to deteriorate into a "bash In Gee" topic. I will continue to cheer her on ... as stated, how does anyone root against her!!

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> > >

> > > ___________

> > > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

> >

> > Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

>

> _____________

> I suspected that someone would rely on Lydia as an example, but Lydia is irrelevant to In Gee and the discussion ... it's how In Gee responds to the situations that are facing her and not Lydia.

> Anyway, I will most likely stop responding to the question ... I was curious if anyone else shared similar "thoughts" .... and so far, the answer is "no" ... and rather than trying to better describe my thoughts on the question, I will cease as i dont want this to deteriorate into a "bash In Gee" topic. I will continue to cheer her on ... as stated, how does anyone root against her!!

>

>

If In Gee was in contention frequently, and simply not getting it done on Sunday, I'd say the lack of "killer instinct" might be a factor. However, I believe her recent troubles are tied to her drop in driving distance ('19: 246 vs. '16: 254), which leads to a drop in GIR ('19: 70.4% vs. '16: 72.5%) and very likely a worsening of proximity to the hole. That leads to fewer birdies ('19: 3.33 vs. '16: 4.08). Her scoring average is currently 71.3, and it was 69.6 in 2016.

She does seem more prone to bogies. Like Lydia, poor driving often puts pressure on the short game, and she's not getting up and down as often in seems. She's had 9 rounds of 75 or worse this year. She only had 3 in 2016.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @"North Texas" said:

> Does anyone know the story behind Lori Kane having 51 putts yesterday while hitting 14 greens in regulation? Today, she hit 5 greens and only had 28 putts. Either something is off with the stats or there's a story we don't know about.

_________

I have not heard anything in particular about Lori, and in the absence of that information, I'd venture to say that its probably due to a combination of age and tournament rust. This is the only LPGA event that she typically plays as she's an ambassador for CP -- the tournament sponsor.

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > Does anyone know the story behind Lori Kane having 51 putts yesterday while hitting 14 greens in regulation? Today, she hit 5 greens and only had 28 putts. Either something is off with the stats or there's a story we don't know about.

>

> _________

> I have not heard anything in particular about Lori, and in the absence of that information, I'd venture to say that its probably due to a combination of age and tournament rust. This is the only LPGA event that she typically plays as she's an ambassador for CP -- the tournament sponsor.

I agree her skills have deminished over time but I think we can chalk it up to "Just one of those days" but it was a really bad "just one of those days" lol

> @"North Texas" said:

> Does anyone know the story behind Lori Kane having 51 putts yesterday while hitting 14 greens in regulation? Today, she hit 5 greens and only had 28 putts. Either something is off with the stats or there's a story we don't know about.

There're many erroneous stats from the morning wave yesterday.

It showed Yealimi Noh had 49 putts and hit all 18 greens; that's a score of +13. In reality, she shot +1.

What's true is Lorie shot +15; but she didn't hit 14 greens and she didn't have 51 putts.

> @18majors said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > Does anyone know the story behind Lori Kane having 51 putts yesterday while hitting 14 greens in regulation? Today, she hit 5 greens and only had 28 putts. Either something is off with the stats or there's a story we don't know about.

>

> There're many erroneous stats from the morning wave yesterday.

> It showed Yealimi Noh had 49 putts and hit all 18 greens; that's a score of +13. In reality, she shot +1.

> What's true is Lorie shot +15; but she didn't hit 14 greens and she didn't have 51 putts.

>

>

In my experience the LPGA always fixe the errors post round if tey're wrong during live play and Judy mentioned early in the broadcast thatlorie had multiple three and four putts. I checked it out at the time it was mentioned and at 9 holes Lorie was in the high 20's at the time, so I think the 51 putts is legit.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> > > >

> > > > ___________

> > > > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

> > >

> > > Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

> >

> > _____________

> > I suspected that someone would rely on Lydia as an example, but Lydia is irrelevant to In Gee and the discussion ... it's how In Gee responds to the situations that are facing her and not Lydia.

> > Anyway, I will most likely stop responding to the question ... I was curious if anyone else shared similar "thoughts" .... and so far, the answer is "no" ... and rather than trying to better describe my thoughts on the question, I will cease as i dont want this to deteriorate into a "bash In Gee" topic. I will continue to cheer her on ... as stated, how does anyone root against her!!

> >

> >

>

> If In Gee was in contention frequently, and simply not getting it done on Sunday, I'd say the lack of "killer instinct" might be a factor. However, I believe her recent troubles are tied to her drop in driving distance ('19: 246 vs. '16: 254), which leads to a drop in GIR ('19: 70.4% vs. '16: 72.5%) and very likely a worsening of proximity to the hole. That leads to fewer birdies ('19: 3.33 vs. '16: 4.08). Her scoring average is currently 71.3, and it was 69.6 in 2016.

>

> She does seem more prone to bogies. Like Lydia, poor driving often puts pressure on the short game, and she's not getting up and down as often in seems. She's had 9 rounds of 75 or worse this year. She only had 3 in 2016.

>

At her best (2016-2017) In Gee's game was as good as anyone else's / clearly in the top tier of elite players. It wasn't flashy but just look at the stats she put up. However, relatively speaking she did not book a lot of wins over this period, and had like eight 2/T2 finishes. I don't recall any collapses and sometimes I think she just got beat (others may know the specifics better). For example, at Kingsmill she played well but Lexi just kept her foot on the gas and wasn't going to be caught. She also lost in a playoff to Ariya and Lexi that year - hard to say this was anything more than a jump ball.

Still, I get the point that some people find a way to win the close ones and others don't (even if you didn't blow it). I am quite surprised that the confidence and motivation from the UL Int'l Crown and win at KEB Hana Bank last year did not propel her forward in a bigger way this year (at least so far). I would have thought these two experiences would have freed up any mental blocks, although the Korean press can be pretty hard on these players, and with the way Jin Young Ko and Lee6 are playing she could be in a bit of a negative environment again.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Michelle Liu is having a round two days. It's tough to watch the young amateurs struggle in these events. Hopefully she'll take away only positives from the experience.

>

It's just a little too much course for her at this point. She's hitting long irons and hybrids/woods into greens other players have mid-short irons on.

I am actually up at the tournament all week - beautiful course, immaculate condition, though to be fair I have only seen the back nine. Tough walk for spectators, especially the front nine, as noted. Fairways are wide but not a lot of level lies. Greens are big, with a lot of slope and rolling fast so lots of tricky lag putts and angles into the greens are important or else you can get some major ejections. They are also pretty firm so when approaching with longer than a short iron, have to play for a bit of release. Tons of big, deep bunkers on the fairway guarding the "right" angles in and rough is pretty gnarly.

One really interesting hole is the par-5 14th. 535 or so, downhill. Huge drop in the fairway around 250ish as the hole bends to the left. Hit it in the right spot and players are left with an iron in. Flare out to the right and it is a fairway wood downhill to a small-ish, well guarded green or a not easy, sometimes blind lay-up. Deep bunkers and long rough/native area protect the inside of the dogleg off the tee so going for that extra roll is a risk if you don't get the line right, and the wind today was pushing everything towards those bunkers.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > > > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> > > > >

> > > > > ___________

> > > > > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

> > > >

> > > > Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

> > >

> > > _____________

> > > I suspected that someone would rely on Lydia as an example, but Lydia is irrelevant to In Gee and the discussion ... it's how In Gee responds to the situations that are facing her and not Lydia.

> > > Anyway, I will most likely stop responding to the question ... I was curious if anyone else shared similar "thoughts" .... and so far, the answer is "no" ... and rather than trying to better describe my thoughts on the question, I will cease as i dont want this to deteriorate into a "bash In Gee" topic. I will continue to cheer her on ... as stated, how does anyone root against her!!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If In Gee was in contention frequently, and simply not getting it done on Sunday, I'd say the lack of "killer instinct" might be a factor. However, I believe her recent troubles are tied to her drop in driving distance ('19: 246 vs. '16: 254), which leads to a drop in GIR ('19: 70.4% vs. '16: 72.5%) and very likely a worsening of proximity to the hole. That leads to fewer birdies ('19: 3.33 vs. '16: 4.08). Her scoring average is currently 71.3, and it was 69.6 in 2016.

> >

> > She does seem more prone to bogies. Like Lydia, poor driving often puts pressure on the short game, and she's not getting up and down as often in seems. She's had 9 rounds of 75 or worse this year. She only had 3 in 2016.

> >

> At her best (2016-2017) In Gee's game was as good as anyone else's / clearly in the top tier of elite players. It wasn't flashy but just look at the stats she put up. However, relatively speaking she did not book a lot of wins over this period, and had like eight 2/T2 finishes. I don't recall any collapses and sometimes I think she just got beat (others may know the specifics better). For example, at Kingsmill she played well but Lexi just kept her foot on the gas and wasn't going to be caught. She also lost in a playoff to Ariya and Lexi that year - hard to say this was anything more than a jump ball.

>

> Still, I get the point that some people find a way to win the close ones and others don't (even if you didn't blow it). I am quite surprised that the confidence and motivation from the UL Int'l Crown and win at KEB Hana Bank last year did not propel her forward in a bigger way this year (at least so far). I would have thought these two experiences would have freed up any mental blocks, although the Korean press can be pretty hard on these players, and with the way Jin Young Ko and Lee6 are playing she could be in a bit of a negative environment again.

My gut says she's dealing with a lingering injury. Her driving stats early in the season just don't add up to a player at 100%.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @"Golf Dino" said:

> > > > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > > > In Gee had a timid round; no bogeys but only two birdies.

> > > > > > > Her day will come, she's been averaging 260 yards off the tee; she'll contend once she gets her approach shots dialed in.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ___________

> > > > > > Does it strike you or anyone else for that matter, that In Gee might be "too nice" to win consistently? I mean, more specifically, that the "killer instinct" in her is not as strong as in some other players?? I really like her as a player and personality, so I do hope she regains some of her previous form.

> > > > >

> > > > > Lol. Doesn't Lydia's streak of 12 wins from 2014 to 2016 kill that theory? There's no friendlier player on the planet than the Librarian.

> > > >

> > > > _____________

> > > > I suspected that someone would rely on Lydia as an example, but Lydia is irrelevant to In Gee and the discussion ... it's how In Gee responds to the situations that are facing her and not Lydia.

> > > > Anyway, I will most likely stop responding to the question ... I was curious if anyone else shared similar "thoughts" .... and so far, the answer is "no" ... and rather than trying to better describe my thoughts on the question, I will cease as i dont want this to deteriorate into a "bash In Gee" topic. I will continue to cheer her on ... as stated, how does anyone root against her!!

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > If In Gee was in contention frequently, and simply not getting it done on Sunday, I'd say the lack of "killer instinct" might be a factor. However, I believe her recent troubles are tied to her drop in driving distance ('19: 246 vs. '16: 254), which leads to a drop in GIR ('19: 70.4% vs. '16: 72.5%) and very likely a worsening of proximity to the hole. That leads to fewer birdies ('19: 3.33 vs. '16: 4.08). Her scoring average is currently 71.3, and it was 69.6 in 2016.

> > >

> > > She does seem more prone to bogies. Like Lydia, poor driving often puts pressure on the short game, and she's not getting up and down as often in seems. She's had 9 rounds of 75 or worse this year. She only had 3 in 2016.

> > >

> > At her best (2016-2017) In Gee's game was as good as anyone else's / clearly in the top tier of elite players. It wasn't flashy but just look at the stats she put up. However, relatively speaking she did not book a lot of wins over this period, and had like eight 2/T2 finishes. I don't recall any collapses and sometimes I think she just got beat (others may know the specifics better). For example, at Kingsmill she played well but Lexi just kept her foot on the gas and wasn't going to be caught. She also lost in a playoff to Ariya and Lexi that year - hard to say this was anything more than a jump ball.

> >

> > Still, I get the point that some people find a way to win the close ones and others don't (even if you didn't blow it). I am quite surprised that the confidence and motivation from the UL Int'l Crown and win at KEB Hana Bank last year did not propel her forward in a bigger way this year (at least so far). I would have thought these two experiences would have freed up any mental blocks, although the Korean press can be pretty hard on these players, and with the way Jin Young Ko and Lee6 are playing she could be in a bit of a negative environment again.

>

> My gut says she's dealing with a lingering injury. Her driving stats early in the season just don't add up to a player at 100%.

Previously, I heavily discounted this theory because her play was quite good in 2016 (after some time off) and 2017, and it was never a reason mentioned for not winning tournaments then (ex-Evian). But more recently I found an article from early 2017 that implies she was still hurt all of 2016 and making various compensations to play. I still wonder about 2017, as she said she was healthy. But you never know exactly what they are doing or how long you can band-aid things together until it becomes worse.

Edit: said another way, just blindly looking at the stats I don't see any evidence that the Changi airport incident itself is the problem. But it also doesn't make sense that she lost distance in 2018-2019. As discussed elsewhere, many top players have picked up 10 yards (+/-) and there's no reason why she shouldn't be hitting it 260 off the tee. So I am more open to some other issue behind the scenes holding things up.

Many players deal with nagging injuries that flair up from time to time. Some are able to regain their old form for stretches of time, while others struggle (e.g. Na Yeon). In In Gee's case, having Korea host the International Crown may have been a huge motivator to overcome the hurdles for that short stretch late last season.

> @18majors said:

> Early scores are over par; it may be a tougher day than yesterday.

I think it's probably mornng start time that hurts the early starters I'm a 7 hour drive from the course and it was freezing here this morning. In Canada we are at the point in the season where yes by mid day the temp gets in the 80's but temp in the evening and early morning drops dramatically. The one thing that my game does share with the pro's is that we both probably hate playing in the cold lol. It seems the players going out now are starting to post the better scores.

Nice 6 under rounds by Danielle and Cydney. Not quite back in the hunt if the leaders go low, but should be within shouting distance if they stumble.

That was fun. Good job Brooke rising to the occasion!

Since the crew was along with Brooke every step, I wish we could have seen some of Yu Liu playing too. Would like to see her.

That swoon of relief after that putt circled the hole and finally went in was cute and relatable:

lq1v14j1rao0.jpg

This season I've gone from "well I guess Jin Young's ok, for a newer player" to being really excited to see her playing. Love how steady and smooth her game is.

omg, Team Brooke are going to be out in division level strength tomorrow, should be great stuff!

tsnxseirdb4w.jpg

More trouble off the tee for In Gee today. After averaging 260 and 255 in the first two rounds, she's back to 232 today. 14 greens, and three birdies, but two bogies and a double.

Not including the Dow team event, Jin Young has had nine final rounds in the 60's this season, including five at 67 or better. Brooke has had four final rounds in the 60's, and one at 67 or better. She hasn't had a final round in the 60's since May. She had an incredible day today, but I think she's going to have a real battle on her hands tomorrow.

Nicole has had two final rounds in the 60's, but has averaged only even par for the final rounds.

I didn't even think about this till I read the point on the GC website but it seems some are questioning Le Ann Pace WD from the event after posting a big number on the Aeon Risk hole keeping her in the lead for the million dollar prize. Lee Ann says the WD was legit but even if it wasn't I can appreciate the shadiness of trying to get that million doolars lol.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/i-know-what-it-looks-lee-anne-pace-says-cp-womens-open-wd-legit