2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Keeping Golf Stats

RJ_MJ_JJ

Does anyone keep their own golf stats? I know there are programs/products out there that help you track stuff via grip plugs, GPS, etc. Who out there uses them? Any feedback on accuracy, usefulness, etc?

Personally, after every round, I enter every shot into an excel spreadsheet. I'm one of those nuts who can recall every shot, every distance, every lie, etc. It's a curse... I also found a dataset that helps estimate "Strokes gained" vs an average pro (although I think the baseline is closer to a +2 hcp or so...as opposed to an actual tour pro at around a +12 hcp).

I'd love to hear if there are any other golf stats nerds out there!!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Call me old fashioned. But I think the best way to do it is a note pad + a pencil / pen to note everything down hole by hole. I hate those apps. I have a course I play and I've mapped most of the greens on it. I know most of the reads before I get to the green because of that.

In terms of distance to hole. If not able to use a range finder then a course booklet/handbook, or simply feel from playing the course multiple times (or more) is usually what I go by.

The old fashioned way is good for driving distance averaging, fairways hit, putts etc . To be honest I think looking at a notebook or bunch of scorecard sis nicer than at a screen anyway.

I keep golf stats, but I have them on my own Excel spreadsheet. I have a scoring system that I call the 5/2 score that basically helps give an easy and quick estimate of Strokes Gained - Tee to Green. Then I can derive a quick estimate of Strokes Gained -Putting from it based on my actual score.

If I want to really keep my Strokes Gained - Putting more precisely, I have a spreadsheet hooked up where I pace off the length of the first putt. I'll just place a marker next to my ball and after I putt out, I'll pace off from the hole to the marker.

The other things I keep track of are Hit Fwy's, 'Impeded Shots' (any tee shot that ends up O.B, water, hazard, fwy bunker, in the long rough, or results in a shot that I have to hit over, under or around trees).

I then keep them by hole so I can determine trends of how I'm playing certain holes.

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

> I keep golf stats, but I have them on my own Excel spreadsheet. I have a scoring system that I call the 5/2 score that basically helps give an easy and quick estimate of Strokes Gained - Tee to Green. Then I can derive a quick estimate of Strokes Gained -Putting from it based on my actual score.

>

> If I want to really keep my Strokes Gained - Putting more precisely, I have a spreadsheet hooked up where I pace off the length of the first putt. I'll just place a marker next to my ball and after I putt out, I'll pace off from the hole to the marker.

>

> The other things I keep track of are Hit Fwy's, 'Impeded Shots' (any tee shot that ends up O.B, water, hazard, fwy bunker, in the long rough, or results in a shot that I have to hit over, under or around trees).

>

> I then keep them by hole so I can determine trends of how I'm playing certain holes.

>

>

>

>

>

> RH

What's the jist on 5/2? Sounds interesting.

I put my stuff into thegrint.com. I became a pro member a few months back and found the stats to be adequate for the time I willing to devote and the detail of data I am willing to collect.

For the longest time I used the scorecard from this Golf Digest article > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/challengestats <. The link to the scorecard seems to be dead but I believe I have it on a thumb drive. What I eventually started doing was just using a regular scorecard and keeping up with fairways hit, direction of miss if I did miss, penalties including fairway sand, GIR, pitches and chips and did they save a shot, greenside sand and did I get up and down, # of putts.

You can get a pretty good idea of where you are losing strokes by keeping up with fairways, greens hit or near misses and did you get up and down. If you are on or near the green in regulation and when you miss you pitch or chip it close enough to one putt you will be a dang good scorer. My mindset is to get the ball within 6' of the hole from anywhere off the green. That is my goal when I miss or even when I have a long putt as well. But of course I am trying to make all those shots too not just leave them close.

• Like 1

This is what my dashboard looks like, FYI. @smashdn - it sounds a lot like what you do, perhaps visualized differently.

b4auf9e6gz5m.png

• Like 2

Here are two graphs you can see from about 20 or so options. It doesn't have a real clean dashboard screen like what you are showing. It breaks down percent of outcomes (birdie, par, bogey, etc.) from fairways hit vs. missed, gir vs not, average score per hole distance. They tell me it will calculate a sort of strokes gained stat if you use the app and the gps on your phone while you play and measure your yardages. I just can't get myself to do that. I just don't like breaking the flow of my game to dicker with my phone. Plus I can't see the screen in the sun anyway.

vkmz8lp3ajze.gif

a5t1zehwo1gm.gif

> @smashdn said:

> Here are two graphs you can see from about 20 or so options. It doesn't have a real clean dashboard screen like what you are showing. It breaks down percent of outcomes (birdie, par, bogey, etc.) from fairways hit vs. missed, gir vs not, average score per hole distance. They tell me it will calculate a sort of strokes gained stat if you use the app and the gps on your phone while you play and measure your yardages. I just can't get myself to do that. I just don't like breaking the flow of my game to dicker with my phone. Plus I can't see the screen in the sun anyway.

>

AMEN. Yea - I tried to get into using my phone, but it was certainly a distraction. I write stuff on a scorecard and remember most of it. That just works better for me.

> @RJ_MJ_JJ said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > I keep golf stats, but I have them on my own Excel spreadsheet. I have a scoring system that I call the 5/2 score that basically helps give an easy and quick estimate of Strokes Gained - Tee to Green. Then I can derive a quick estimate of Strokes Gained -Putting from it based on my actual score.

> >

> > If I want to really keep my Strokes Gained - Putting more precisely, I have a spreadsheet hooked up where I pace off the length of the first putt. I'll just place a marker next to my ball and after I putt out, I'll pace off from the hole to the marker.

> >

> > The other things I keep track of are Hit Fwy's, 'Impeded Shots' (any tee shot that ends up O.B, water, hazard, fwy bunker, in the long rough, or results in a shot that I have to hit over, under or around trees).

> >

> > I then keep them by hole so I can determine trends of how I'm playing certain holes.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > RH

>

> What's the jist on 5/2? Sounds interesting.

It's something I came away with to essentially determine your ballstriking and what you should project to shoot if you're close to 0.00 strokes gained - putting. The best thing about it is that you really don't have to pay that close attention to it during the round. So if you forget to track your score, you should be able to remember fairly easily what happened and track your score accordingly.

This scoring system is not quite as complete as my excel spreadsheet which factors in scoring if you go OB or in the water. I'm saving that for creating this as an app. But this should get you started with a good estimate.

If you have an eagle putt from 5 paces or less to the hole (roughly 15 feet), give yourself +3 points

Birdie putt from 5 paces or less, give yourself +2 points

Par save putt from 2 paces or less (roughly 6-feet), give yourself +1 point

If your par shot is NOT within 2 paces or less, take away -3 points.

A 5/2 score of +10 should equate to even par. Every point in the 5/2 score from +10 is worth 0.35 strokes relative to par.

Here's a quick table explaining it.

by35kd7xf99j.png

What the 5/2 score does is based on the table it gives a good estimate of what score you should shoot relative to par if your Strokes Gained - Putting was at 0.000 (average).

So, let's say you have a 5/2 score of +10. The table calculates that you 'should' shoot a score of even par.

But, let's say you shoot +2 over par. Then you can deduct that you roughly lost -2.00 strokes with your putter.

However, if you shot -1 under par, then you can deduct that your roughly gained +1.00 strokes with your putter.

You only give yourself one 5/2 score per hole. So, let's say you have a 12-foot birdie putt, but you miss the putt and have a tap-in for par. You would only give yourself the first score possible (+2 for a birdie putt 5 paces or less to the hole).

Don't get confused by the GIR. Let's say you have a 30-foot birdie putt, but you miss it 8-feet past the cup. You would give yourself a -3 because your par shot was not within 2 paces of the hole.

You'll find that those -3 scores on the 5/2 score really eat away at your chances.

I can't go into how the score changes if you go OB or water as that's proprietary information. But I think you'll understand your game better using the 5/2 score as I prescribed and you'll figure out where your issues are.

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

>

> It's something I came away with to essentially determine your ballstriking and what you should project to shoot if you're close to 0.00 strokes gained - putting. The best thing about it is that you really don't have to pay that close attention to it during the round. So if you forget to track your score, you should be able to remember fairly easily what happened and track your score accordingly.

>

> This scoring system is not quite as complete as my excel spreadsheet which factors in scoring if you go OB or in the water. I'm saving that for creating this as an app. But this should get you started with a good estimate.

>

> If you have an eagle putt from 5 paces or less to the hole (roughly 15 feet), give yourself +3 points

> Birdie putt from 5 paces or less, give yourself +2 points

> Par save putt from 2 paces or less (roughly 6-feet), give yourself +1 point

> If your par shot is NOT within 2 paces or less, take away -3 points.

>

> A 5/2 score of +10 should equate to even par. Every point in the 5/2 score from +10 is worth 0.35 strokes relative to par.

>

> What the 5/2 score does is based on the table it gives a good estimate of what score you should shoot relative to par if your Strokes Gained - Putting was at 0.000 (average).

>

> So, let's say you have a 5/2 score of +10. The table calculates that you 'should' shoot a score of even par.

>

> But, let's say you shoot +2 over par. Then you can deduct that you roughly lost -2.00 strokes with your putter.

>

> However, if you shot -1 under par, then you can deduct that your roughly gained +1.00 strokes with your putter.

>

> You only give yourself one 5/2 score per hole. So, let's say you have a 12-foot birdie putt, but you miss the putt and have a tap-in for par. You would only give yourself the first score possible (+2 for a birdie putt 5 paces or less to the hole).

>

> Don't get confused by the GIR. Let's say you have a 30-foot birdie putt, but you miss it 8-feet past the cup. You would give yourself a -3 because your par shot was not within 2 paces of the hole.

>

> You'll find that those -3 scores on the 5/2 score really eat away at your chances.

>

> I can't go into how the score changes if you go OB or water as that's proprietary information. But I think you'll understand your game better using the 5/2 score as I prescribed and you'll figure out where your issues are.

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

That's really interesting. It's almost like an assumed adjusted Stableford to come up with Tee to Green SG. Really cool. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your app!