2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

golfballselector.com

Sean2

Got the 1 year membership and of the top 5 balls in my list I have found 4 out of 5 (not the e5) to be balls I love to play. In fact my favorite ball even before joining was the Nike One Platinum, they were just a bit pricey for me.

My top 5:
Nike ONE Platinum
Nike Ignite
Wilson PX3 Performance
Bridgestone e5
Titleist Pro V1

Nike Covert Tour w/ Accra Tour Z 65
TM RocketBallz Stage 2 w/ Accra LT70
Adams Dhy 18 w/ Nunchuk
Nike VRS Forged 4-GW, DGX100
TM ATV Wedges 56* and 64*
Odyssey Black Tour #2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My results are:

Bridgestone Tour B330S
Callaway HX Tour
Callaway HX Hot
Titleist Pro V1x
Titleist NXT Tour
Bridgestone Tour B330

The list seems very credible to me, since I've found the HX Tour to be noticeably better for me than any other ball I've tried (although I haven't tried the B330S). Several balls I tried last year appear way down the list. None of them did well when I compared them to the HX Tour.

I did it multiple times and really thought hard about the questions. Over and over I got this:

1) Nike Platinum
2) ProV1
3) Bridgestone e5

I have been using a ProV1x for years. I guess I will try domething different!

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max Driver 10.5*

Taylor Made M2 HL 4 Wood 16.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 7 Wood 21*

Ping G430 Irons 5-PW, GW

Taylor Made M4 Wedges 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I just joined the site and tried a few tests. I'm on a vector frequently enough to have an accurate understanding of my numbers and some of the recommendations don't jive.

I find it perplexing to say the least how someone would be recommended a Nike One Platinum and the second best choice a Nike Ignite ball.... Huh? These two balls are on other ends of the planet from each other.

I cross referenced my recommendations with the recent Golf Magazine article and found large discrepancies. Who is right, and who is wrong? I have no idea. I just found the lack of corresponding numbers to be interesting.

The one thing that bothered me is the final stage of the test. You see shots of the top five balls that are best suited to you. The pictures show many of the balls tested as far back as 2006. That is now 2 model years old. For example it will show you a picture of a box of balls and it will say, "Model year tested: 2006".

So to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. I think it's a 'fun' tool. There's definitely some money's worth in it if you don't have a clue. It has some nice features as well. After you're done you can 'slide' the graph bars to emphasize a different desire from your game and it changes the recommendation based on the graph in real time (so you don't have to redo the entire questionnaire).

What I would like to do is take this website's recommendation which is probably the Srixon Z-URS or the Taylormade TP Red, and compare them against the best choice for my game in this month's Golf Magazine.

WOW.

That site is killer. Just joined and throuroughly impressed whith the amount of information and exacting standards they apply.
:drinks:

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I just signed up and was very impressed, i could however use a little assistance here. My top three were
1. Bridgestone Tour B330S
2. Nike Ignite
3. Srixon Z-URS
[b]I am currently playing the srixon trispeed and wonder how it compares to these balls[/b], because when i looked through their list of reviewed golf balls it was not present. I am going to try the bridgestones and come to find out the Nike ignites are on sale at TGW so i will pick up a box to see how they play as well.

[quote name='sanddog28' post='859298' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:49 PM']I just signed up and was very impressed, i could however use a little assistance here. My top three were
1. Bridgestone Tour B330S
2. Nike Ignite
3. Srixon Z-URS
[b]I am currently playing the srixon trispeed and wonder how it compares to these balls[/b], because when i looked through their list of reviewed golf balls it was not present. I am going to try the bridgestones and come to find out the Nike ignites are on sale at TGW so i will pick up a box to see how they play as well.[/quote]

These are the numbers taken from the Golf Magazine test. Now these were taken with a 90 mph swing speed, 137 mph ball speed, 13.75 degree launch angle, and 2900 rpm off the driver for the calibration club. And 75 mph swing speed, 80 mph ball speed, and 38.5 degree launch angle for the calibrated wedge. So this may or may not match your swing characteristics. Hope this is of some help to you

--------------------------Driver Distance----Wedge Spin
Srixon Tri Speed________251.3__________7,814
Bridgestone Tour B330S__255.2__________11,866
Nike Ignite_____________249.1__________7,071
Srixon Z-URS___________247.5__________12,137

[quote name='rdbivyleagun' post='859317' date='Jan 11 2008, 03:01 PM']--------------------------Driver Distance----Wedge Spin
Srixon Tri Speed________251.3__________7,814
Bridgestone Tour B330S__255.2__________11,866
Nike Ignite_____________249.1__________7,071
Srixon Z-URS___________247.5__________12,137[/quote]

Thanks rdbivyleagun, guess i will have to go ahead and take a look at the Bridgestones, we are having a huge demo day here in Orlando tomorrow and the bridgestone ball fitting will be going on there so i will just have to pop in and let them do their thing.

[b]Original Balls Tested by GolfBallSelector.com this past year[/b]

Bridgestone e5
Bridgestone e6
Bridgestone Tour B330 07
Bridgestone Tour B330S 07
Callaway Big Bertha Red
Callaway HX Hot
Callaway HX Tour
Callaway HX Tour 56
Maxfli Fire
Maxfli Noodle Long & Soft
Nike Ignite
Nike ONE Black 07
Nike ONE Platinum 07
Nike Power Distance Power Soft
Pinnacle Exception
Srixon AD-333
Srixon Soft Feel
Srixon Z-UR
Srixon Z-URC
Srixon Z-URS
TaylorMade TP Black
TaylorMade TP Red
Titleist DT Solo
Titleist NXT
Titleist NXT Tour
Titleist Pro V1 07
Titleist Pro V1x 07
Top-Flite D2 Straight
Top-Flite D2 Feel
Volvik PROs Pect
Wilson DX2 Distance
Wilson Fifty
Wilson PX3 Performance
Wilson TX4 Tour

[b]2008 Balls Tested this coming year by GolfBallSelector.com[/b]

Callaway Big Bertha (2007)
Callaway HX Hot (2007)
Callaway HX Pearl (2007)
Callaway Warbird (2007)
Maxfli Lady Noodle (2008)
Maxfli Noodle (2008)
Maxfli Tour Fire (2007)
Nike Ignite (2007)
Nike Juice 312 (2007)
Pinnacle Gold FX Long (2008)
Pinnacle Gold FX Soft (2008)
Pinnacle Platinum Distance (2008)
Pinnacle Platinum Feel (2008)
Pinnacle Ribbon (2008)
Precept Distance iQ 180 (2007)
Precept Lady iQ 180 (2007)
Srixon AD333 (2007)
Srixon Tri-Speed (2007)
Srixon Z-URS (2007)
TaylorMade Burner (2008)
TaylorMade Burner TP (2008)
TaylorMade TP Black (2008)
TaylorMade TP Red (2008)
Titleist DT Solo (2007)
Titleist NXT Extreme (2007)
Titleist NXT Tour (2007)
Top-Flite D2 Straight (2007)
Volvik Crystal Soft Feel (2007)
Wilson Hope (2007)
Wilson TX4 Pro (2007)
Wilson Zip (2007)
[attachment=206483:MPI_Comp...ess_Test.pdf]

Big Jess,
I dont like to spin the ball off the driver as i sometimes have an issue with a hook. but i do like to have decent spin around the greens. i loved the way the px3 performed. it is a very soft ball maybe a little too soft. i ordered a dozen of the tx4 pro. i probably wont be able to try them on the course as the one course that is open is closing on sunday till spring. i would also like to try the e5+.

One thing that confused me about the site is that step 14 gives you "your top ranked ball reccomendations". and then step 15 gives 5 other choices that dont match the list on step 14. confusing!!

Robert

[quote name='Robmc826' post='859789' date='Jan 11 2008, 05:41 PM']Big Jess,
I dont like to spin the ball off the driver as i sometimes have an issue with a hook. but i do like to have decent spin around the greens. i loved the way the px3 performed. it is a very soft ball maybe a little too soft. i ordered a dozen of the tx4 pro. i probably wont be able to try them on the course as the one course that is open is closing on sunday till spring. i would also like to try the e5+.

One thing that confused me about the site is that step 14 gives you "your top ranked ball reccomendations". and then step 15 gives 5 other choices that dont match the list on step 14. confusing!!

Robert[/quote]

Same for me. That's why I like prov1/TP reds etc. The reason I asked about the px3's is that they are so cheap here at my local golfsmith ($15.99) and since they were so cheap I tried hitting a few on the range and at least on the range it seemed like they spun too much off the driver. I'm gonna give them another try. Thanks Robert.

Jesse

Sorry didn't see it posted above.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

[quote name='dlnljl' post='857801' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:52 PM']Those wishing to try Golf ball selector.com Here is a promo code I found valid until Feb 15,2008 for 30% off the joining fee
" OFFER300 "[/quote]

Thanks for posting the promo code - it helped me pull the trigger. At about $5 - $7.50 per sleeve, I was thinking the $22 annual fee will save money by not trying balls that really won't be a good option.

At my first go-around, I laughed out loud when I saw the recommendations - Pro V. I thought to myself, "I spent $20 for [i]that?[/i]," because I already know I like the Pro V. I'm hoping to find a less expensive choice and really haven't bonded with the NXT Tour. I went through the questions initially without a lot of thought, mainly out of curiosity.

I've gone through the fitting process several more times, each time varying my answers, and the ball recommendations have changed significantly. It's important to know how much you value feel vs. distance and distance vs. accuracy/shot shaping to get an accurate recommendation.

A few of the lesser-recommended balls are ones I've tried and didn't like, which confirmed that the info is has some validity. I think the site will have much more value when it adds the current ball models.

yeah my biggest thing was being able to REALLY UNDERSTAND the question as I care more about hitting fairways and greens than long drives off tee....i also want good feel and spin around green and feel when putting. Once I figured out how my required accuracy and feel over rode the need for long distance...then I was better able to interpret and answer the questions. I really like to slide the bars around to see how it changes ball percentages. Some answer surprised me as I did not realize different swing speeds affected the way a ball will react. I figured a ball would react to 110mph ss the same as 93mph ss...just at shorter distances. This proves that balls vary significantly from style of play, swing speed, launch angle, rpms and your desire for "feel" off the club. I think the more I learn about golf and learn about my own game the more I will be able to appreciate that website.

They did select a number of balls that I know I like, with some other surprises. The only problem I have with the site is they are recommending balls that are not manufactured anymore like the PX3, E5's and E6's, and others. The recommendation doesn't mean much if the product is not made anymore. Yes they can still be found if you look for them but for a site that charges to get a recommendation based on their tests it should be updated constantly. Especially with the new balls that are out.
Anthony007 an earlier post stated he found some PX3's at Walmart

i have 100% for Nike One Platinum...not tried them as I was not ready to chance that much on a box of balls so went with Nike Ignites and also have a box of Bridgestone e-5+ to try. I loved the Ignites....they apparently dont spin as good as the ProV1 or NOP but I was playing TF D2 Straight and Wilson 50 before and they play much better than those. I compare it very close but slightly better to when I tried the TF D2 Feel though the cover is more durable than D2 Feel unless I just had bad luck on mishits and cart paths that day.

I am going to try the NOP and e-5s this spring.

[quote name='rdbivyleagun' post='863624' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:41 PM']This service is intriguing but I just can't see myself dropping the cash on it. I think the golf magazine article gave me enough information to make very similar decisions myself and try those balls out in the spring.[/quote]

Well I'm just going to let you know that what I gleaned from the article numbers wise and what golfballselector.com told me were very different. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, it was just quite different.

I won't get a chance to try any of the new balls that the site recommended but oddly enough I really did try the ball that the site recommended as my top pick last year and I wasn't very impressed. It felt... shorter to me on drives. I bought and tried a whole box and just kinda left with a mixed impression.

The MaxFli-Fire tour was a friggin' rocket for me. I am not even a maxfli fan, and I found it had a good deal of spin. Golfballselector doesn't cover or recommend that one to me. Weird. So I have mixed feelings... what are you going to do though if you don't have the time to spend hours in front of a Vector every week? It's a lot of work figuring this stuff out by yourself. I've tried... and even with a vector it's very time consuming.

[quote name='ColinMB' post='863981' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:33 PM']... what are you going to do though if you don't have the time to spend hours in front of a Vector every week? It's a lot of work figuring this stuff out by yourself. I've tried... and even with a vector it's very time consuming.[/quote]

Well for me it has a lot to do with my budget and skill level. I play on a very limited budget that gives me enough to play a round of golf and maybe a range session a week. I have also only been golfing a little over a year so I am still low on the skill level. The amount I spend on something like this will keep me off the course a week and I think I would improve more from playing than selecting the perfect ball for me. But that is of course me. Who knows though...my birthday is coming up and maybe I will get some cash to put towards a membership :)

• 2 months later...

Funny, i LOVE the E-5 and I got five balls in front of it with the Srixon Z-URC number one followed by TM TP-Black, Titleist Pro V1 and Nike Ignite. I hit so many I'll probably go with the low bidder and try the Ignite. That's how I found the E5, going with the low bidder, golf is expensive enough. One thing that is consistently coming through on this board is that the Bridgestone E-5 is sure making a lot of hit lists, even if it is unpopular. Must be something to the little $24.95 per dozen rolly polly!

The Chile Guy

After reading this post i decided to use it... But the results I got was BAD..... I would not even think about trying 7 of the top 10 it said I should use...... I guessing being a +1 I should have known better but o well... I think it would help a 20-30 capper...

Wilson PX3 Performance

Wilson TX4 Tour

Titleist Pro V1

Nike Ignite

Bridgestone e5

Callaway HX Tour 56

Nike ONE Platinum

Srixon Z-URC

Wilson DX2 Distance

• 2 months later...