2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade-adidas Tour Staff Professional Brandt Snedeker Named 2007 PGA Tour Rookie of the Year

TaylorMade-adidas Tour Staff Professional Brandt
Snedeker Named 2007 PGA Tour Rookie of the Year

Snedeker Finishes 20th on the FedEx Cup Points List and Earns more
than $2 million in his First Tour Season

?ui=2&ik=5e604ce55e&attid=0.4&disp=emb&view=att&th=116cb7c74922a1e9

CARLSBAD, Calif. (December 12, 2007) – TaylorMade-adidas Golf Tour Staff Professional Brandt Snedeker was named PGA Tour Rookie of the Year after a sensational 2007 season which included a win at the Wyndham Championship and six top-10 finishes.

"This has been a wonderful season for me and to finish it by being voted by my peers as the Rookie of the Year is tremendous," Snedeker said. “When I looked at the list of TOUR players who have been honored in such a way, I am humbled to have my name alongside them."

Snedeker, 27, who played on the Nationwide Tour a season ago, elevated his status on the PGA Tour when he captured his first career PGA Tour win at the Wyndham Championship.  On the final day of the tournament at Forest Oaks Country Club, Snedeker needed what he called the "best swing of his life," a TaylorMade® r7® TP 3-iron to land the ball close on the par-three 17th to setup a birdie that moved him ahead of fellow TaylorMade-adidas Staff professional Tim Petrovic.

Snedeker finished 20th on the FedEx Cup points list and earned $2,836,643 – the third highest rookie total in history.

This was the second time in three years that a TaylorMade-adidas Golf Tour Staff Professional took home Rookie of the Year honors (Sean O’ Hair in 2005). 

In Snedeker’s bag this season:

• [*]TaylorMade r7 425 TP [*]Burner® TP 14.5-degree FW [*]TaylorMade Rescue® club (19°) [*]TaylorMade r7 TP (3-PW) [*]ClimaCool® apparel [*]adidas Golf POWERBAND footwear

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='soflahack' post='821026' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:27 PM']Can he really be a staff pro if he is sponsered by Bridgestone and wears their hat ,plays their ball, and carries their staff bag. He may play TM clubs, but TM is not his main sponsor.[/quote]

Yeah.... I am a little confused. Its kinda cheap. They had better be paying him a heck of a lot more than just a free set. He needs to be fully compensated for being announced like that for Taylormade to sell clubs.

Here is a cut/paste of Bridgestone's press release:

[b]December 11, 2007

BRIDGESTONE YOUNG GUN NAMED 2007 PGA TOUR ROOKIE OF YEAR

Brandt Snedeker Relies on Tour B330-S Ball in Rise to Top of Rookie Class

Covington, GA — Today, the PGA TOUR announced that Bridgestone Golf staff player Brandt Snedeker was chosen as the 2007 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year. Snedeker was a model of consistency in his rookie year, recording six top ten finishes and making the cut in 23 events. In addition, Snedeker became the youngest Bridgestone Golf tour team member to win a PGA TOUR event, when he secured the title at the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, N.C. For the year, Snedeker finished in 17th place on the Money List (the best finish ever by a rookie), and ranked 20th in the inaugural final FedEx Cup standings.

Snedeker relied on the Bridgestone Golf Tour B330-S golf ball for a competitive edge during his rookie campaign. The new Tour B330-S features an enhanced Gradational Compression Technology Core for increased initial velocity at impact resulting in added distance off the tee. Moreover, the new softer core and cover provide added spin and enhanced feel on an around the greens.

"Brandt has been a tremendous addition to our TOUR Team," said Dan Murphy, Senior Director of Marketing – Bridgestone Golf, Inc. "You couldn't ask for a better brand ambassador on and off the course. Brandt is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of. With his strong all-around play, great attitude and pleasant demeanor, combined with Bridgestone's technological prowess, the possibilities are endless." [/b]

why all this uproar about Snedker's deal?

It's been this way all season, but now that he's won an award, people are shocked to see he plays TaylorMade clubs, wears adidas clothes, and is outfitted by Bridgestone for his ball, hat, and bag...give me a break guys!

Bridgestone has been in golf for DECADES for one reason--the golf ball! Just recently did they really start pushing their club line, and even this recent push lags far behind the marketing of their golf ball. When was the last time you saw a Bridgestone J33 iron commercial? I can't honestly EVER remember one...but I can remember plenty of B330 promos--magazines, tv, etc.

Brandt is in a dream of a contract. He is signed to play and rep a company's ball...this company wants the bag and hat exposure to help promote their ball, so they pay him for his services. He's then signed with another company for his equipment--TaylorMade (yes, he's officially on TaylorMade's tour staff--check the website).

What's wrong with this picture? It happens on a VERY regular basis on the LPGA tour...but most of us are blind to that. The LPGA Tour is littered with players that sign bag and clothes deals then play a mix bag (not even signing a club deal).

TaylorMade cares about the driver count--and they pay whoever will swing a driver during the tourney handsomely.

Bridgestone cares about the ball count.

Maybe in the coming years this could become a conflict of interest for Bridgestone--as they become more and more indebted to the club side of the business...but right now, I'm sure they feel that the exposure that Brandt has gotten for the B330 and the Bridgestone brand is far worth what they're paying him. --OR-- this may also become the same for TaylorMade as they become more and more serious about their golf ball.

As of today, I'm pretty sure they both feel as though they're getting their money's worth out Brandt. I'm sure he was signed to a [b]relatively[/b] cheap deal considering all the exposure he's brought the two companies by having such a stellar rookie season.

To me it seemed kind of cheap but then I thought for a moment. A few years ago when there were just a few
OEM's out on tour this happened often. A number of guys had Titleist bags with a full line of other OEM's clubs. There also
used to be guys wearing Titleist hats that only played the ball. I can remember Mike Weir when he was with Wilson wore
a Titleist hat with a Wilson bag. Frank Lickliter and JP Hayes for awhile had Mizuno bags and clubs but wore Titliest hats. Now with Nike in
the picture and Callaway and TMAG with golf balls the full line sponsorship deal is more standard today which is why this seems odd.

[quote name='Foreleft' post='821150' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:51 PM']On the flip side, if I was Bridgestone, I would be embarassed to hold him out as a staff pro when all he did was play the ball. Bstone has a full line of equipment and look what found its way into his bag.[/quote]

[quote name='NikeDD59' post='821335' date='Dec 12 2007, 03:03 AM']WOW. I was under the impression that he was with Bridgestone. Had no clue he was just with bridgestone for the balls.[/quote]

[b]Bridgestone[/b] does this all the time. Will MacKenzie is another (Mainly TaylorMade). Some say this is a good deal for Players to be able to choose their own clubs. Others would say the Bridgestone club line up is so weak, they have to allow these deals in order to get players signed and have their ball and Hat in play. Me? A little of both. Watch for Charles Howell III to have a mixed bag as well.

Privately [b]TaylorMade[/b] is not crazy about these arrangements, but parent [b]adidas[/b] has long sponsored clothing and/or shoes for [b]Bridgestone[/b] and [b]Srixon[/b] staffers. Many [b]Srixon[/b] staffers use [b]TaylorMade[/b] Drivers and Woods. [i]Now that [b]SRI Sports [/b]owns [b]Cleveland[/b] the [b]Srixon/TM[/b] arrangement may change.[/i]

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

I don't see what the big deal here is. This used to be very common on tour when guys would wear a Titleist Hat or visor, and carry Titleist bag with no Titleist clubs in it.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Regardless of what he plays, I'm glad to see a local boy do well. Congrats to Brandt!! :):rolleyes:

Bill

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member

Back in the day this was ok, I don't think it is as leniant as it was back then. The major oems all seem to produce their own balls and for someone to use another ball is odd, especially when they are wearing the hat and sporting the bag. I could understand pros using the prov1, ala many pros who still sport their equipment sponsors such as Vijay.

I think it is unfair for taylormade to see a bridgestone hat and bridgestone bag. No one including myself knew Brandt was even using taylormade until this thread popped up. I am not your average golf fan who found out about him being with taylormade for equipment until now. A normal person watching golf on tv would think the same thing. Either way, this is only good for taylormade in terms of the darrell survey and on their website. Bridgestone has the advantage of exposure for the bridgestone brand over taylormade in this scenario.

I could understand why Jason Gore left Nike even though he liked all the clubs, he only felt comfortable with the prov1 and Nike wanted him to use the Nike ball. Now he ended with Cobra golf where he can use the titleist ball since it is the same company.

Anyone else besides Brandt and Will under this type of contract presently? thx

[quote name='NikeDD59' post='822286' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:55 PM']Back in the day this was ok, I don't think it is as leniant as it was back then. The major oems all seem to produce their own balls and for someone to use another ball is odd, especially when they are wearing the hat and sporting the bag. I could understand pros using the prov1, ala many pros who still sport their equipment sponsors such as Vijay.

I think it is unfair for taylormade to see a bridgestone hat and bridgestone bag. No one including myself knew Brandt was even using taylormade until this thread popped up. I am not your average golf fan who found out about him being with taylormade for equipment until now. A normal person watching golf on tv would think the same thing. Either way, this is only good for taylormade in terms of the darrell survey and on their website. Bridgestone has the advantage of exposure for the bridgestone brand over taylormade in this scenario.

I could understand why Jason Gore left Nike even though he liked all the clubs, he only felt comfortable with the prov1 and Nike wanted him to use the Nike ball. Now he ended with Cobra golf where he can use the titleist ball since it is the same company.

Anyone else besides Brandt and Will under this type of contract presently? thx[/quote]

I don't know that you can call it unfair for taylormade. It is a business deal and they agreed to it.

I agree that it looks worse on bridgestone that Brandt has a full bag of taylormade clubs.

I assumed that Brandt played most bridgestone clubs until i found out about it in this post.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9* - Diamana GT 6S

Sim Ti 15* - Evenflow Riptide CB 70S
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange S

Srixon ZX5/7 Accra TZI 105 S

Vokey 49F 

Vokey 54D - KBS

Vokey 60M - KBS

Scotty Phantom X9 

[quote name='chwebb63' post='822059' date='Dec 12 2007, 05:28 PM']doesnt kevin stadler play cleveland while carrying a bridgestone bag[/quote]

Kevin Stadler appears to have a similar obligation as Snedeker to play the Bridgestone ball, carry their bag, and wear their headwear.

I am inclined to think that these types of contracts are not as lucrative for the player when the clubs are part of the deal. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Brandt Snedeker sporting a Taylormade bag & headwear when his Bridgestone deal comes to an end, but who knows...

Regardless, Adidas ITSELF provides staff deals for clothing and shoes. And, since Adidas is the parent company of TaylorMade, and not the other way around, thay can probably say whatever they want.

That said. TaylorMade, I am sure, knows that their golf ball division is new on the scene and not everyone is as excited about it as they are. If a seamless ball is your thing, then for God's sake, don't play a TaylorMade ball. So they make adendums to their contract to let staffers, for instance David Toms, play something else (Toms if you notice is a TaylorMade staffer who plays a Titleist ball, and is not wearing a stitch of Adidas clothing or footwear).

As their ball lineup progresses, I think you'll see more guys moving toward it, but the other guys (Bridgestone, Callaway, Srixon and the Evil Empire of Titleist) are gonna play a better ball if allowed.

Just my 2 cents.