Charlotte, NC area private golf clubs

DCgolfnut91

Hello all - by this time next year my fiancé and I should be living in Charlotte. Ideally we will move to south Charlotte, but being about 10 months out from moving, thats not set in stone. I noticed that some of the recent Charlotte posts are outdated so I began doing a little research into the private clubs and was hoping anyone in the area with more insight could chime in. It seems that Charlotte CC, Myers Park, Quail, and Carmel are out of the question. A little about myself... I'm 29, I like to play 3 or 4 days a week, I enjoy getting into the weekday and especially weekend games, I'm a 7 handicap, I enjoy walking the course, and I would much prefer a nice golf course with nice conditions opposed to a fancy club house..however I do enjoy sticking around the clubhouse for a post round beer/food so a decent clubhouse would be a nice addition. 

As far as dues and initiation fees go, I would like them to be reasonable. I don't have any business spending 50k on initiation and 5/600+ per month on dues, but for the right club/fit I would spend what is necessary because I view it as an investment.  Some clubs that keep popping up on my radar are Carolina Golf Club, Cedarwood CC, Providence CC, and Ballantyne. If anyone has anymore info they're willing to share on these clubs that you can't find on the internet, it would be greatly appreciated. Also..if there are any other clubs that you could suggest based on the information about myself above that would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Carolina - 30k

Cedarwood - 3k (because of you're age)

Providence - 25k

Ballantyne - 25k

FWIW Piper Glenn is 5k, Firethorne is 12k, Raintree is 6k (2 courses though), and Longview is 75k.

I think thats it for the south Charlotte ones.

Anyhow, i have played Firethorne, feel it was ok. Most people ive talked to say its the worst layout of all the private Charlotte courses haha. But its a Clubcorp course, as well as Piper Glenn, and you have Riverrun up in Davidson. So at least you get reciprocal playing. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I'm a member at Irish Creek in Kannapolis, lots of walkers. Its a little bit of drive (45 min) from South Charlotte though. 

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I just moved to South Charlotte late this summer and like you have been looking for a place to join. I have been playing a lot of public golf and have played a handful of private clubs. I have looking at a lot of the options that you are debating. I was able to play Firethorne but was really not impressed for the price. I considered Palisades and was able to play there once. Like you, I enjoy walking and that is a course that would be very tough to walk. At this point I'm planning to join Rock Hill Country Club next spring. Dues around 220 per month and no initiation for the young professional. It is a little outside the city but it is a course that you are able to walk and checks the boxes for me.

16 hours ago, CCtrey5 said:

I just moved to South Charlotte late this summer and like you have been looking for a place to join. I have been playing a lot of public golf and have played a handful of private clubs. I have looking at a lot of the options that you are debating. I was able to play Firethorne but was really not impressed for the price. I considered Palisades and was able to play there once. Like you, I enjoy walking and that is a course that would be very tough to walk. At this point I'm planning to join Rock Hill Country Club next spring. Dues around 220 per month and no initiation for the young professional. It is a little outside the city but it is a course that you are able to walk and checks the boxes for me.

Rock Hill can be a very long drive from some portions of South Charlotte, particularly if you are trying to go on a weekday afternoon.  It's on the south side of Rock Hill and the range is that in name only.  Honestly, if you are looking to join somewhere inexpensive, Raintree and Cedarwood are totally fine.  I'm not sure what Carmel costs to join as a junior, I know they try to chase Charlotte, Quail, and Myers Park for full freight membership, or what you are looking to spend, but if you can write the check, you can get in there.

Pine Island might be an option to consider.

Edited by ncgolfer1234

On 10/14/2020 at 9:12 AM, spineshank said:

Carolina - 30k

Cedarwood - 3k (because of you're age)

Providence - 25k

Ballantyne - 25k

FWIW Piper Glenn is 5k, Firethorne is 12k, Raintree is 6k (2 courses though), and Longview is 75k.

I think thats it for the south Charlotte ones.

Anyhow, i have played Firethorne, feel it was ok. Most people ive talked to say its the worst layout of all the private Charlotte courses haha. But its a Clubcorp course, as well as Piper Glenn, and you have Riverrun up in Davidson. So at least you get reciprocal playing. 

Thanks for your response. Do you know if the 30k at Carolina is the initiation for the young golfers? 

18 hours ago, CCtrey5 said:

Solid pricepoint but a little bit of a hike for me. Thanks for your response 

1 hour ago, ncgolfer1234 said:

Rock Hill can be a very long drive from some portions of South Charlotte, particularly if you are trying to go on a weekday afternoon.  It's on the south side of Rock Hill and the range is that in name only.  Honestly, if you are looking to join somewhere inexpensive, Raintree and Cedarwood are totally fine.  I'm not sure what Carmel costs to join as a junior, I know they try to chase Charlotte, Quail, and Myers Park for full freight membership, or what you are looking to spend, but if you can write the check, you can get in there.

Pine Island might be an option to consider.

Thanks NC golfer. I agree that it could be a hike. I currently live in SE DC near the Capitol and play out of a club in MD. It’s only 11 miles away but can take about 45 minutes to get there sometimes. I’m definitely trying to avoid that when moving south. From what I’ve seen via Instagram and the little info I have cedarwood seems awesome. I’m young and don’t really care about the fancy stuff some clubs have to offer but maybe some day I will so I’m not opposed to seeing if I could get in a place like Carmel if the price was right. From what I read it’s an invitation only place. I don’t know anyone in Charlotte. Are you implying that if you’re able to stroke the check the reference goes out the window? Is that at Carmel or some of the other ones like MP and Charlotte CC too? 

8 hours ago, DCgolfnut91 said:

Thanks NC golfer. I agree that it could be a hike. I currently live in SE DC near the Capitol and play out of a club in MD. It’s only 11 miles away but can take about 45 minutes to get there sometimes. I’m definitely trying to avoid that when moving south. From what I’ve seen via Instagram and the little info I have cedarwood seems awesome. I’m young and don’t really care about the fancy stuff some clubs have to offer but maybe some day I will so I’m not opposed to seeing if I could get in a place like Carmel if the price was right. From what I read it’s an invitation only place. I don’t know anyone in Charlotte. Are you implying that if you’re able to stroke the check the reference goes out the window? Is that at Carmel or some of the other ones like MP and Charlotte CC too? 

I think Carmel is by invitation in name only. There is a lot of turnover out there from folks coming and going with the banks. 

Writing a check won’t get you in other ones.

Edited by ncgolfer1234

On 10/23/2020 at 4:09 PM, DCgolfnut91 said:

Thanks for your response. Do you know if the 30k at Carolina is the initiation for the young golfers? 

I do believe its cheaper. Though i dont know the price. I never inquired. The easiest thing is to just request info. 

Edited by spineshank

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can only speak to playing most of these courses as I live about an hr from most of them.  My favorites from design and condition standpoint would be:

1. Carolina
  2. Providence
  3. Longview
  4. Pallisades
  5. Raintree
  6. Pine Island
  7. Firethorne

I have not played cedarwood or ballantyne cc so cant chime in on those.  Pine island is fun but has some quirky holes that seem like they just ran out of room.  As someone else mentioned, Pallisades is definitely not a course you want to walk.  Raintree gives you options having 36 holes but I dont feel like it is in as good of shape as the others.  I have not played providence since the renovations but plan to play with a buddy later this summer but in my opinion its one of the best layouts in Charlotte...

[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G400 Max 10.5*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Silver 130ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Epic Flash 15*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black 130ts[/size][size=1][/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G410 21*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno MP20 4-P[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno T20 50*, 54*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Jaws MD5 60*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X 6.0[/size]
[color=#ff0000][b]Taylormade Spider[/b][/color]

My wife and I are looking to move to the Charlotte area and just got back from visiting a few weeks ago. We played Cedarwood and Ballantyne. If everything goes according to plan I see us joining Cedarwood. It's just a solid, no frills golf club. I hate golfing in a housing development, and seems like that is what the majority of Charlotte private clubs are that aren't High end. Cedarwood was a solid course, easily walkable, on the cheaper side, and the few members we met were very nice. 

I did have a round lined up at Carolina Golf Club that fell through. I still want to get out there before I make my final decision, but don't think it will be the one. With where I am at life and career wise a don't want to drop 20k+ on an initiation somewhere, and end up moving again 2 years later. 

On 3/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, tjl48 said:

My wife and I are looking to move to the Charlotte area and just got back from visiting a few weeks ago. We played Cedarwood and Ballantyne. If everything goes according to plan I see us joining Cedarwood. It's just a solid, no frills golf club. I hate golfing in a housing development, and seems like that is what the majority of Charlotte private clubs are that aren't High end. Cedarwood was a solid course, easily walkable, on the cheaper side, and the few members we met were very nice. 

I did have a round lined up at Carolina Golf Club that fell through. I still want to get out there before I make my final decision, but don't think it will be the one. With where I am at life and career wise a don't want to drop 20k+ on an initiation somewhere, and end up moving again 2 years later. 

Curious, you just call them up asking to play a round to take a look to see if you like it? 

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

36 minutes ago, spineshank said:

Curious, you just call them up asking to play a round to take a look to see if you like it? 

I just emailed filling them in on my situation and asking for membership information. If I was still interested I asked to come check out the club when we were in town. At that point some offered to get us on the course. If they didn't and I was really interested I asked if we could play. If they believe you are serious in joining it is pretty easy to get on. I've had mixed experience on paying. Some have comped my round. Others I have had to pay the guest fee.  

19 hours ago, tjl48 said:

I just emailed filling them in on my situation and asking for membership information. If I was still interested I asked to come check out the club when we were in town. At that point some offered to get us on the course. If they didn't and I was really interested I asked if we could play. If they believe you are serious in joining it is pretty easy to get on. I've had mixed experience on paying. Some have comped my round. Others I have had to pay the guest fee.  

Thats cool. I looked into a few clubs last year just to see. Didnt go past that. I am a member of a semi private group of courses currently. 

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

7 hours ago, spineshank said:

Yup.

How is that?  Thinking about joining as I live ten minutes from Fort Mill and Springfield and have also played at Lancaster frequently and Chester a couple of times.  It looks pretty straightforward but was wondering if I was missing anything.  Was planning on playing weekday evenings and weekend afternoons so I could walk.

20 hours ago, bluehose said:

How is that?  Thinking about joining as I live ten minutes from Fort Mill and Springfield and have also played at Lancaster frequently and Chester a couple of times.  It looks pretty straightforward but was wondering if I was missing anything.  Was planning on playing weekday evenings and weekend afternoons so I could walk.

I like it. I play Springfield the most. Lancaster is almost an hour drive for me. I just got tired of scrambling for tee times a week in advance mainly. I havent had any issues booking tee times now. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

2 hours ago, spineshank said:

I like it. I play Springfield the most. Lancaster is almost an hour drive for me. I just got tired of scrambling for tee times a week in advance mainly. I havent had any issues booking tee times now. 

How long does a round take at Springfield? Is the course easy to walk?

Cedarwood waitlist is bumped to 18-21 months. Trying to figure out what to do in the meantime when we move down this fall. 

14 hours ago, tjl48 said:

Cedarwood waitlist is bumped to 18-21 months. Trying to figure out what to do in the meantime when we move down this fall. 

Springfield is not an easy course to walk. Fort Mill, and Chester arent bad. Cant remember how Lancaster is. Pace of play has been good though. They do 10 min tee times. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, tjl48 said:

Lancaster is a very easy walk and probably my favorite out of the Springs group.  I was kind of in the same boat, and joined Rock Hill Country Club recently.  They re-instituted an initiation fee in 2021, but it's a pittance compared to the ones in Charlotte.  My fiancée plays as well so the Rock Hill membership worked out to be cheaper than the Springs 4 course membership.  That was my second choice.   Rock Hill also doesn't have a F&B minimum and walking is allowed at anytime, including the weekends which was important to me. 

I got information from Cedarwood and reading in between the lines on their latest newsletter, it sounds really tough getting a tee time out there.  The course looks great, and would strike a good balance on the value scale if you wanted to be in Charlotte proper, but I would have a hard time paying that much and not getting reasonable times.

Edited by bluehose
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, bluehose said:

Lancaster is a very easy walk and probably my favorite out of the Springs group.  I was kind of in the same boat, and joined Rock Hill Country Club recently.  They re-instituted an initiation fee in 2021, but it's a pittance compared to the ones in Charlotte.  My fiancée plays as well so the Rock Hill membership worked out to be cheaper than the Springs 4 course membership.  That was my second choice.   Rock Hill also doesn't have a F&B minimum and walking is allowed at anytime, including the weekends which was important to me. 

I got information from Cedarwood and reading in between the lines on their latest newsletter, it sounds really tough getting a tee time out there.  The course looks great, and would strike a good balance on the value scale if you wanted to be in Charlotte proper, but I would have a hard time paying that much and not getting reasonable times.

Thanks for the heads up. We are headed down to firm up housing beginning of June. Was thinking of trying to hit Pine Lake and Rolling Hills country club. We are looking in that South to South East side. Those seem to be in the price range and area we are looking. 

9 hours ago, tjl48 said:

Thanks for the heads up. We are headed down to firm up housing beginning of June. Was thinking of trying to hit Pine Lake and Rolling Hills country club. We are looking in that South to South East side. Those seem to be in the price range and area we are looking. 

Awesome!  Some friends of ours are out that way and exploring options there as well.  The course at Rolling Hills looks great from social media and when I drove by.  And Monroe Golf Club is a fantastic public option there too.

Edited by bluehose

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, bluehose said:

I was kind of in the same boat, and joined Rock Hill Country Club recently.

2 years later but it's still worth a shot....
Are you still at Rock Hill? Curious if there is a waiting list or any details that you can share before I inquire with them directly.

33 minutes ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

2 years later but it's still worth a shot....
Are you still at Rock Hill? Curious if there is a waiting list or any details that you can share before I inquire with them directly.

I am…. Send me a note directly and we can talk about it.  No waiting list to my knowledge but the initiation was raised back in the beginning of summer as an alternative to that.