2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How long were you out of golf after Achilles surgery?

Barfolomew

47 minutes ago, Shizeman said:

It's my lead foot.  The surgeon cleared me to play golf and my PT has pushed me to hit the range.  I went yesterday actually and hit about 40 balls or so.  Mostly just wedges and one driver. Felt decent today.  Still can feel it after I give the tendon some work. 

My big hurdle is I'm going to St Andrews with my dad at the end of May which will be 6 months out from surgery.  It'll be a solid test to walk 18 every day.

Thats good to hear, listen to everything you PT says.

I just got home from playing my first round post injury. Felt fine but leg is sore now, not my achillies but everything else around it. How many rounds are you playing?

My challenge today was uneven lies, downhill slope with all weight on front foot on follow through biggest test mentally as well as physically 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, Priceyd said:

Thats good to hear, listen to everything you PT says.

I just got home from playing my first round post injury. Felt fine but leg is sore now, not my achillies but everything else around it. How many rounds are you playing?

My challenge today was uneven lies, downhill slope with all weight on front foot on follow through biggest test mentally as well as physically 

I'm learning that the days it feels great turn out to be the most frustrating.  Most days it's not where I want it to be and it just reminds me of how much more work there is to put in. Def progressing well....but man it blows. 

Glad you're just at typical soreness and nothing with the tendon. Ooo...hadn't thought about the uneven downhill lies. I'm guessing it'll be a solid few months of playing before the game is back where we'd like to see it. 

Gotta love a challenge, right?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:09 PM, Scoot2519 said:

40 yrs old Complete tear playing flag football on 2/19..surg on 2/23… cast w/leg up for 2 weeks.  Started PT the day my sutures came out (2 wks post op) Crutched it in a boot for 2 weeks…been walking full weight bearing for 2 weeks in boot at a 90 hoping to get boot off nxt Wed Aprl 6th and into reg shoes.  I do my PT and at home PT religiously!  Helps a tooon!  I will be golfing by May 2nd start of my club league.  Be smart, push yourself, only YOU know ur body!   Heal up gents! 

Hey just curious how everything is going a year later? Had a complete tear myself this year playing basketball with a very similar timeline as your. 

Ruptured my Achilles playing pickle ball on April 14. Had surgery on April 18. Just finished reading all the above posts.....hope most/all of you are back on course. 

2 week post-op is this week. Pain has been, I believe, typical so far. 

Annual golf trip (16th consecutive year) in Northen Michigan on August 8. 

Going to do all I can in PT to be ready. I was in fairly good shape when injury happened, so I'm hoping that helps. The injury is on my lead foot, which I hope is an advantage. 

I'm 50, but have the desire to give 110% in PT to get back. 

Diablo Octane Driver/ 3w
Diablo Edge 3, 4, 5 Hybrids
TM Rocketblabez PW-6i
Callaway x Tour 60, 56, 52

15 hours ago, Slatty said:

Ruptured my Achilles playing pickle ball on April 14. Had surgery on April 18. Just finished reading all the above posts.....hope most/all of you are back on course. 

Going to do all I can in PT to be ready. I was in fairly good shape when injury happened, so I'm hoping that helps. The injury is on my lead foot, which I hope is an advantage. 

Thats a reasonable goal for sure, how many rounds of golf is the trip? Northern Michigan is amazing.

The lead foot I feel is the worst foot to injure as its the one where putting all your weight on the follow through and twisting. Depending on swing speed etc.

Let your PT know about golf being your sport and they should start doing some stuff that will help your golf swing, mine had me swinging a golf club early on just to get the feel etc

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, Barfolomew said:

So I snapped my Achilles last weekend riding skateboard and had surgery yesterday.... Anyone have Achilles surgery and how fast were you back to playin golf and to what degree?  Thanks!

I'm 49 go to the gym everyday and will have no prob following the PT protocols....

S

Edited by Long Shot

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

18 hours ago, Slatty said:

Just make sure to do the PT after they cut you loose as easy to back off.... good luck amigo!

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

4 hours ago, Priceyd said:

Thats a reasonable goal for sure, how many rounds of golf is the trip? Northern Michigan is amazing.

The lead foot I feel is the worst foot to injure as its the one where putting all your weight on the follow through and twisting. Depending on swing speed etc.

Let your PT know about golf being your sport and they should start doing some stuff that will help your golf swing, mine had me swinging a golf club early on just to get the feel etc

Only three rounds over three days, with the first two being a variety of formats. The last day is singles match play. 

Everyone says to be diligent with PT and PT homework, so that's the plan. 

Just have to stay positive and do the work. 

Diablo Octane Driver/ 3w
TM Rocketblabez PW-6i

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm 9 weeks removed from tearing my achilles, right handed and right foot.  I went non-op and was told I'd lose "explosiveness."  Just wondering if anyone else went this route and if it resulted in a significant loss of swing speed?  I'm 49 and reasonably athletic, but not high swing speed (~95 mph driver).  thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, alfredw74 said:

Hi, I'm 9 weeks removed from tearing my achilles, right handed and right foot.  I went non-op and was told I'd lose "explosiveness."  Just wondering if anyone else went this route and if it resulted in a significant loss of swing speed?  I'm 49 and reasonably athletic, but not high swing speed (~95 mph driver).  thanks in advance!

I don't see why you'd lose much if anything. The trail leg doesn't do a ton in the downswing. If it had been your lead leg, that'd be much more important.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

4 hours ago, alfredw74 said:

I tore my Achilles playing soccer when I was about your age.   It took time to heal but I've not suffered any long-term problems since.   Do the PT

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think you will be good to go by September. I completely tore mine mid April 2023 and was able to play nine with cart wearing my boot about 3 1/2 months later. It was my lead side Achilles. Started playing with out boot at 4 1/2 months after surgery.....dunked my leg in bucket of ice after my rounds for about a month. This was all in a cart, btw. I'm about as far away from surgery as you will be when your trip takes place and I am 💯 confident I could make it. Have patience...recovery is a long road, but you will get there. Follow doctor's order and be consistent with PT when the time comes. It will be good to have this trip as a motivator in your recovery. Good luck!

Diablo Octane Driver/ 3w
TM Rocketblabez PW-6i