Slazenger Hogan Starburst Irons

I picked up a set of these for very little on eBay last week. The pictures and listing were terrible so I didn't hold out much hope that they'd be any good. However, they're in really decent condition despite the grooves being worn. 

I wasn't expecting them to feel that great having owned a set of PTs and not getting on with them, but these feel so lovely. Solid, great feel/sound off the face and the razor sharp leading edge cut through the rough over the local field with ease. Can't wait to be able to take them out properly. 

precision.jpg

Edited by TheDeanAbides

51 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I picked up a set of these for very little on eBay last week. The pictures and listing were terrible so I didn't hold out much hope that they'd be any good. However, they're in really decent condition despite the grooves being worn. 

I wasn't expecting them to feel that great having owned a set of PTs and not getting on with them, but these feel so lovely. Solid, great feel/sound off the face and the razor sharp leading edge cut through the rough over the local field with ease. Can't wait to be able to take them out properly. 

precision.jpg

Lovely irons!

These are not Precision but the follow on "Sunburst" or "Sabre" irons. They are very similar. The only difference I see is these have a more rounded toe than the high squared toe of Precisions. Precision's also carry the Precision name where these have the Ben Hogan script.

I notice no real difference in playing characteristics- both are fabulous!

The only downside is the sharp leading edge and lack of bounce; great for sything through rough but axe like on soft turf!

I have commented before that somethings are just right first time - Precision irons as Hogan's first issue and these as a comtempory derivation are an example of that!

2 hours ago, Foozle said:

Lovely irons!

These are not Precision but the follow on "Sunburst" or "Sabre" irons. They are very similar. The only difference I see is these have a more rounded toe than the high squared toe of Precisions. Precision's also carry the Precision name where these have the Ben Hogan script.

I notice no real difference in playing characteristics- both are fabulous!

The only downside is the sharp leading edge and lack of bounce; great for sything through rough but axe like on soft turf!

I have commented before that somethings are just right first time - Precision irons as Hogan's first issue and these as a comtempory derivation are an example of that!

Thank you for the correction. Yes, I've noticed that they love a dig if you're not precise with the strike... especially with the amount of rain we've had. 

I love the size of the clubhead and styling - I think you're right that Ben got it right first time... although I do adore my 99s. 

15 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

Love my 59 Hogan Sabers.  Have been gaming them for the last 3 years.  The other difference in these vs American Made Hogans is they are made of stainless steel.  Love the deep stampings.  You will love them.

My PTs were Slazenger ST version too, and that put me off initially as I thought they were a little harsh, but these seem softer. 

18 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

Love my 59 Hogan Sabers.  Have been gaming them for the last 3 years.  The other difference in these vs American Made Hogans is they are made of stainless steel.  Love the deep stampings.  You will love them.

Have you played both?

I have posted a few times that I would be keen to know any playing differences between the Slazenger and Ft Worth versions?

Problem seems to be Slazengers are scarce in the States and Hogan versions are like hens teeth over here - and I imagine other countries where Slazenger produced - so few have the privilege of playing both.

44 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Have you played both?

I have posted a few times that I would be keen to know any playing differences between the Slazenger and Ft Worth versions?

Problem seems to be Slazengers are scarce in the States and Hogan versions are like hens teeth over here - and I imagine other countries where Slazenger produced - so few have the privilege of playing both.

I'd love to try them side by side too, and you're right about the scarcity of true Hogans from that era over here. They're extortionate! 

Foozle,

I have not played the "Slazenger" Sabers.  I have the U.S. Hogan version of the Sabers which are chromed over forged steel.  It is my understanding that the forged versions have a bit more feel since they are softer than the stainless versions, but I do not have any stainless clubs I could compare that to.  The Redlines would be similar, at least the U.S. versions.  Pretty sure they did not make a stainless steel version of the Redlines anyway.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

Foozle,

I have not played the "Slazenger" Sabers.  I have the U.S. Hogan version of the Sabers which are chromed over forged steel.  It is my understanding that the forged versions have a bit more feel since they are softer than the stainless versions, but I do not have any stainless clubs I could compare that to.  The Redlines would be similar, at least the U.S. versions.  Pretty sure they did not make a stainless steel version of the Redlines anyway.

Northplatteriver, thanks for the response. Are you saying the Hogan Sabers play like '88 Redlines? That would be a great reference as I regularly play Redlines - see profile pic (not that you can tell).

Strangely, i would say the Redlines actually feel harder off the face than the Slazenger Precision's or Starburst/Sabers but that could be partly down to shafts.

I hate to admit but as I get older and more decrepit my favoured Apex4's are getting to be a bit of a struggle. ☹ Switched to a set of regular flex Fg17's mid season! 

Can not say about the 88 Redlines, I had the 92 Ft. Worth Redlines that I loved dearly until I started playing 1957  Precisions and finally the 1959 Sabers.  They have the TrueTemper ProFit S Flex shafts and are perfect for me.  Comparison is a  bit different, but mostly comes down to the weight of the heads.  The heads on the Precisions and Sabers are the heaviest ever made by Hogan and I really enjoy the feel of the heavier head.  I can't speak to what the Slazenger feels like since mine is not a Slazenger Saber, it is a Hogan Saber.  The Sabers and Precisions DO play different than the 92 Redlines in addition to all the other Apex class Hogans I have hit from the 70, 80's and 90's.  The heavier heads and the vintage shafts make a difference.  I just know what works for me.  I think the 1959 Hogan Saber is where Ben Hogan perfected the Precision design.  Had nothing left to prove and made the radical change with the 1960 Power Thrusts that I am in love with the look, but cannot hit them.  I think you will really enjoy your Slazenger's.  Just something about the way they sit behind a ball gives a ton of confidence and the muscleback design on them is one of the all time classics.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, northplatteriver said:

Can not say about the 88 Redlines, I had the 92 Ft. Worth Redlines that I loved dearly until I started playing 1957  Precisions and finally the 1959 Sabers.  They have the TrueTemper ProFit S Flex shafts and are perfect for me.  Comparison is a  bit different, but mostly comes down to the weight of the heads.  The heads on the Precisions and Sabers are the heaviest ever made by Hogan and I really enjoy the feel of the heavier head.  I can't speak to what the Slazenger feels like since mine is not a Slazenger Saber, it is a Hogan Saber.  The Sabers and Precisions DO play different than the 92 Redlines in addition to all the other Apex class Hogans I have hit from the 70, 80's and 90's.  The heavier heads and the vintage shafts make a difference.  I just know what works for me.  I think the 1959 Hogan Saber is where Ben Hogan perfected the Precision design.  Had nothing left to prove and made the radical change with the 1960 Power Thrusts that I am in love with the look, but cannot hit them.  I think you will really enjoy your Slazenger's.  Just something about the way they sit behind a ball gives a ton of confidence and the muscleback design on them is one of the all time classics.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to hit them properly. I only have space for up to 9 iron until we're out of lockdown again. It's unlikely to be this side of Christmas. 

9 hours ago, northplatteriver said:

I agree with you about the Precision's being a design classic and that the slight tweak that produced the Starburst or Sabers just perfected that design. I am not so struck on the Power Thrusts that followed - I have Slazenger versions of those too.

Like you I like the look and weight of the Precision and Sabers. I think the heavier head makes me swing slightly slower and so more controlled. I love the feeling and feedback they provide.

The only downside for me, playing in Scotland where it occasionally rains 😬 even links turf can be soft in the early/ late stages of the season and the lack of bounce / sharp leading edge can result in axe like turf interaction! I tend to reserve them for firm summer play.

3 hours ago, northplatteriver said:

Very jealous, the only clubs I like to hit more than my Sabers are my Tom Stewarts.  Sounds like your in the perfect place for that.

Now I am jealous! I have a set of Tom Stewart's but a  later "branded" set probably from the 50's/60's.Nothing from the glory era of Tom Stewart when they made up the better part of Bobby Jones's bag! Glad you enjoy them.

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

Now I am jealous! I have a set of Tom Stewart's but a  later "branded" set probably from the 50's/60's.Nothing from the glory era of Tom Stewart when they made up the better part of Bobby Jones's bag! Glad you enjoy them.

Are they the Swilken set?  I'd like to see a picture too as I've only seen an advert in an old magazine for those.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

2 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Are they the Swilken set?  I'd like to see a picture too as I've only seen an advert in an old magazine for those.

Jiggered, my task for the winter is to build a better storage system. These are buried! This is the best I can do at the moment. I think you may have commented on these before?

20201120_125707.jpg

• Like 1

The Sabers will get one more shot here in Omaha before the winter next week.  Funny thing about playing vintage, at least for me, is that I just keep sliding further back into history.  Started with the 70's 80's 90's Hogan Apex types and then converted my collection to all Hogan irons and Mac woods from the 50's and early 60's with the Precisions, Sabers and Power Thrusts.  Now I am in the process of converting it all to Hickory with the exception of a set of 54 Precisions and my Sabers.  Just seems to be more fun and enjoyable the further back I get.  I consider the Sabers\Sunbursts and Precisions as gateway drugs to wood shafted.  Will keep the Sabers and Precisions as part of permanent collection because they are too beautiful to part with, but most likely moving to full time hickory next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

The Sabers will get one more shot here in Omaha before the winter next week.  Funny thing about playing vintage, at least for me, is that I just keep sliding further back into history.  Started with the 70's 80's 90's Hogan Apex types and then converted my collection to all Hogan irons and Mac woods from the 50's and early 60's with the Precisions, Sabers and Power Thrusts.  Now I am in the process of converting it all to Hickory with the exception of a set of 54 Precisions and my Sabers.  Just seems to be more fun and enjoyable the further back I get.  I consider the Sabers\Sunbursts and Precisions as gateway drugs to wood shafted.  Will keep the Sabers and Precisions as part of permanent collection because they are too beautiful to part with, but most likely moving to full time hickory next year.

You've got it bad, my friend. I've never hit hickory, but I know that I'll get hooked on it in the same way as any other classic club. Playing with a slice of history is so compelling. 

32 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

I am on the same path but just a couple of steps behind you on my journey.

Started by collecting iron sets from the 70's & 80's that I lusted after as a youth but could only dream to own.

As I tracked those down I got intrigued by other and mostly older sets I found and then researched.

My "habit" is now barely controlled and i know that i need to focus and rationalise. 

Hickory keeps calling me but I am proven to be weak and I know what will happen if I give into hickory even for a second...I will get hooked and a whole new world of collecting and playing will open up before me!

I fear there may be no coming back from there! 

• Like 1

Yep, it is a slippery slope.  The more exacting a club is to hit, the more addicting and the more useful.  The bomb and gouge era is done for me.  I like to play our local courses the way they were architected.  We still have a couple that were put in during the 20's when hickory was still king.  Playing those courses with modern clubs is basically cheating.  I am trying to turn myself into a well rounded golfer that can play the shots that need to be played in a particular situation.  The game improvement clubs that don't penalize you for misstrikes are not interesting to me at all.  I am more than happy to take the hit for a shank.  I actually appreciate it, because I can learn from it.  What is there to learn from hitting a poor shot that still lands on the green.  Do you even know if your hitting a poor shot?  There is also something about just playing with a 5-7 club set that really forces you to be creative.  Getting excited just thinking about it.  I will always hang onto and play my Precisions, Sabers, and 1952 MacGregor M85's because they require the same precision that hickory does, but I am guessing they will be relegated more to guard duty in the mancave in the coming years rather than on the course.  Actually I figure I will by doing a bit of both depending on the course.  If we are playing a longer course I will just substitute my hickory shafted woods for the M85's.  Once your in iron range, it really doesn't matter if your hitting a 5 iron or a mashie.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, northplatteriver said:

Yep, it is a slippery slope.  The more exacting a club is to hit, the more addicting and the more useful.  The bomb and gouge era is done for me.  I like to play our local courses the way they were architected.  We still have a couple that were put in during the 20's when hickory was still king.  Playing those courses with modern clubs is basically cheating.  I am trying to turn myself into a well rounded golfer that can play the shots that need to be played in a particular situation.  The game improvement clubs that don't penalize you for misstrikes are not interesting to me at all.  I am more than happy to take the hit for a shank.  I actually appreciate it, because I can learn from it.  What is there to learn from hitting a poor shot that still lands on the green.  Do you even know if your hitting a poor shot?  There is also something about just playing with a 5-7 club set that really forces you to be creative.  Getting excited just thinking about it.  I will always hang onto and play my Precisions, Sabers, and 1952 MacGregor M85's because they require the same precision that hickory does, but I am guessing they will be relegated more to guard duty in the mancave in the coming years rather than on the course.  Actually I figure I will by doing a bit of both depending on the course.  If we are playing a longer course I will just substitute my hickory shafted woods for the M85's.  Once your in iron range, it really doesn't matter if your hitting a 5 iron or a mashie.

I am beginning to wonder if we might be related?! I could not agree more!

My vintage gear often gets quizzical looks but nowhere near the puzzlement when I say I am less frustrated with mis-hits than i am "getting away" with bad shots using modern clubs. There is no satisfaction for me scoring well and knowing I am playing badly. With vintage I earn my score and like you, revel in the creativity and precision it demands.

I also abhor the mockery of classic courses and bomb and gouge game that golf is becoming today. Playing courses as they were designed and having to think, navigate, imagine and create your way round is surely what this great game is all about? 

• Like 1

My first vintage set were Harold Bird & Sons "Max Faulkner Avenger", a budget brand if ever there was one but they got me hooked on the pleasure and reward of playing old clubs.

I soon after began to build up and restore a set of hickory clubs and began playing those too.

My set are nothing like your beauties northplatteriver but are a rag-tag assembly of different makes, but still great fun to play with.

It's difficult finding someone to play classic clubs with but, strangely, hickory has more events organised for players to meet up and enjoy playing together.

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

• TheDeanAbides changed the title to Slazenger Hogan Starburst Irons