2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist 905R coming soon.

easyyy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In "coming soon" are you saying it is coming to retail soon, or you have one coming to you soon ??

I see the latest 905R on ebay went for $1,700USD, purchased by a guy who also paid $800+ for a Steel R7 TP fairway !!!

Pete

I wish there was one coming. I meant this will be coming to retail soon for all of us to try. 460cc from Titleist. It is about time. :)

In "coming soon" are you saying it is coming to retail soon, or you have one coming to you soon ??

I see the latest 905R on ebay went for $1,700USD, purchased by a guy who also paid $800+ for a Steel R7 TP fairway !!!

Pete

I wish there was one coming. I meant this will be coming to retail soon for all of us to try. 460cc from Titleist. It is about time. :cheesy:

Anyone heard any more regarding the release date for the 905R.........??????

Called the Belfry in the UK to book for a fitting on the launch monitor for an FT3...... :)

This is supposedly the National fitting centre......... :cheesy:

None in stock to test either right of left handed :cheesy:

Callaway stocking and availability here in the UK is shocking at the moment.....

PING LST 8.5' / Stretch 13.5' / G400 17'
Callaway Apex Pro 4 to PW, Mack Daddy Forged 50, 55, 60
Scotty X5, Vice Pro Plus in White

Just spoke this weekend to one of the advisory board members with Titleist. He is getting his in mid-January. Will be available retail around April 1, o6. However, if you know a Titleist Pro with the fitting system, you may be able to try one around March 1, o6. This guy says it is the best sounding Titleist driver ever.

It better have the low spin of the S or there better be a model that does or we could have a problem here if you know what I mean

Over the summer, I was with one of the top Titleist pro's. During the practice round, he was hitting a T and a R. He was hte first staffer to put the R into play. On one fo the tee's he hit both driver. The R went higher. So we then talked briefly about the spinand he said it seems like the R goes higher in overall ballflight, but doesn't get to the peek as early as the T. From that I got that it ti high spin, just not as much as the T. So, mabye it is somewhat like the S, but in a bugger buffer T body. Can't wait to try one out.

In the newest Golf Digest there is a small article about the R. It says it's 455c, but Ernie's page at Titleist.com says it's 460cc. Also the article in GD says it is a higher spinning bigger version of the 905S. While most web posts say it is a bigger 905T. I'm betting it will be released sometime this coming March.

In the mean time I'm in search of the "perfect" shaft for my future 905R. Do you guys think hitting various shafts in the T or S is a good basis for judging a shaft for the R or will the increase in head size negate any of my findings? The Titleist hosel is so different than my current Ping Si3, so I'm wondering if I may need to go down in shaft stiffness.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

In the newest Golf Digest there is a small article about the R. It says it's 455c, but Ernie's page at Titleist.com says it's 460cc. Also the article in GD says it is a higher spinning bigger version of the 905S. While most web posts say it is a bigger 905T. I'm betting it will be released sometime this coming March.

In the mean time I'm in search of the "perfect" shaft for my future 905R. Do you guys think hitting various shafts in the T or S is a good basis for judging a shaft for the R or will the increase in head size negate any of my findings? The Titleist hosel is so different than my current Ping Si3, so I'm wondering if I may need to go down in shaft stiffness.

I also read on GolfWorld a while back that the R was 455cc's and actually posted on it here, but maybe the prototype is 455, but the retail version will be 460 to compete w/consumers who want a max-size driver? Also interesting to hear that it will be modeled off of the S, as the T... I really like my T, but sometimes it's affected by headwind by 30-40 yards because it doesn't pierce that well due to higher spin.

re: your shaft question, I would say wait until the R. there will be a lof of factors that will be different: hosel length, head weight, spin characteristics... if you already have a preferred shaft you use, maybe it will still work, but titleist heads spin so low generally and quite differently from model to model that you might need to tweak the shaft to change spin/launch characteristics...

I also read on GolfWorld a while back that the R was 455cc's and actually posted on it here, but maybe the prototype is 455, but the retail version will be 460 to compete w/consumers who want a max-size driver? Also interesting to hear that it will be modeled off of the S, as the T... I really like my T, but sometimes it's affected by headwind by 30-40 yards because it doesn't pierce that well due to higher spin.

re: your shaft question, I would say wait until the R. there will be a lof of factors that will be different: hosel length, head weight, spin characteristics... if you already have a preferred shaft you use, maybe it will still work, but titleist heads spin so low generally and quite differently from model to model that you might need to tweak the shaft to change spin/launch characteristics...

Regarding the shaft, if you go to Titleist's website it shows Ernie with the 905R. The text says he's got a Speeder in it, but the picture looks like a Diamana...anyone else notice this?

Regarding the shaft, if you go to Titleist's website it shows Ernie with the 905R. The text says he's got a Speeder in it, but the picture looks like a Diamana...anyone else notice this?

yeah definitely diamana, there's no way he plays the titleist speeder... also changed back to rifle steel, not project x in his irons...

Guys,

The 905R was tested by Titleist staffers and robots prior to production order (obviously this is true of all clubs).

150 more rpm's than the 905T (same loft and shaft set up) and 350 more than the 905S. In the grand scheme of things this is not a big increase in spin - 5-10% for most golfers.

golow

How can this "increase" in spin be reduced? By a stiffer tipped shaft? Or a lower spinning shaft?

If so, what are the popular shaft choices for this club so far?

Diamana 83? Or the Vista Tour Fujikura? (What else?!)

Guys,

The 905R was tested by Titleist staffers and robots prior to production order (obviously this is true of all clubs).

150 more rpm's than the 905T (same loft and shaft set up) and 350 more than the 905S. In the grand scheme of things this is not a big increase in spin - 5-10% for most golfers.

golow

How can this "increase" in spin be reduced? By a stiffer tipped shaft? Or a lower spinning shaft?

If so, what are the popular shaft choices for this club so far?

Diamana 83? Or the Vista Tour Fujikura? (What else?!)

It depends. If you are smack dab in the middle of optimal LA and spin for your ballspeed you won't need to change the set up at all. If you are on the upper border of launch monitor numbers for your ballspeed maybe a lower loft or just a tighter shaft - Prolite vs. T-speeder for example.

I personally hate the Diamana in the Titleist head and most pros agree that the ZComs are a very good fit. Ther US spec Zcoms have a long PTS to begin with so the full bore installation works great.

The nominal increase in spin won't be all that noteworthy unless you already sit on the extreme edge of optimal numbers.

golow

• 1 month later...

I personally really like my T and have no plans to get the R. All it really is a big 905T. But for you guys who love the 460cc's then I guess you'll like the R. I have no problem with a 400cc head. I think it is the perfect size for a driver. Maybe when my swing gets faster I'll look into a 460cc head. The 460cc's drivers are usually like 5º closed (exaggeration) and have monster heel weighting to make it easier to square the clubhead. Just my opinion...

I hit it on the Rheingolf messe in Köln yesterday, looks sharp and felt great, I would really like to take it out on the course for a try, but that will come later this year.

The driver will be introduced to Germany and Holland at the end of march and will cost 479 euro.

Here you see me hitting it with the Fujikura Speeder shaft.