2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Cheap Ball??

NGulhar

mojo, noodle, dt solo, maxfli rev, mc, ....
I've seen the topics about the pricey 40-50 dollar per dozen threads but for the player like me who just started and is shooting in the high 90's, what's a good ball to use?

I started using the cheapest ball one could find (Cougar) because I was super slicing my balls into the woods. That ball is made of rocks though and just feels horrible! I've started using the noodle and MC Distance as my game has progressed from horrible to managable. Both are good. Just looking for other opinions as I'm not sleeping in bed with any ball yet and would like to hear what some of you prefer.

Thanks for the input!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the topics about the pricey 40-50 dollar per dozen threads but for the player like me who just started and is shooting in the high 90's, what's a good ball to use?

I started using the cheapest ball one could find (Cougar) because I was super slicing my balls into the woods. That ball is made of rocks though and just feels horrible! I've started using the noodle and MC Distance as my game has progressed from horrible to managable. Both are good. Just looking for other opinions as I'm not sleeping in bed with any ball yet and would like to hear what some of you prefer.

Thanks for the input!

I like the Pinnacle Exception for a cheap ball along with the DT Solo.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Thanks for the input!

you can get the premium balls so cheap if you looka round you should try them. Bridgestone 330-S for $24 and Hogan tour Deeps for even less also closeouts on Black Max from Maxfli all at GPPgolf.com.

Dan

I'm in the same position as you and have experimented with a few different balls and have the one, that I think, is the best overall value and quality. I have to go with the Dunlop Super Loco balls, on ebay I bought 3 dozen of these for $33 and they come with 15 balls in each pack because of the 3 free extra's that Dunlop puts in every package (so $11 for 15 or $.74 per ball). These balls are great, especially for high handicappers, they have barely any side spin and are really soft, a 65 compression rating on them I beleive. Also, I have heard, but dont know if its true, that Dunlop and Titleist make their balls in the same factory but Dunlop is cheaper because they only sponsor one tour player (John Daly).

But don't just take my word for it, read reviews of the ball here: http://golfreview.com/mfr/dunlop/balls/PRD...56_2943crx.aspx

& here

http://www.golf-gear-review.com/reviews/Ma...gory-Balls.html

Good luck!

the maxfli revolution solid.. is 19.99 for 2 boxes at target.. i really like that ball.. better than the mojo.. also like the noodle al denti...

but the best is the srixon ad333 as mentioned above.. and the hrx 333 is 20.00 right now at some placed.. best ball i have ever used and was pissed when they stopped making it.

It doesnt really matter what hcp people play to IMO they could benifit using a premium ball. By premium I mean one that has similiar playing characteristics to a V1 or V1X. These could be had for a very decent price from lostgolfballs.com. They are in great condition and they have great prices.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,][size=4]?️ UnProfessional Golfer
? Indiana and ? Florida Raised

It doesnt really matter what hcp people play to IMO they could benifit using a premium ball. By premium I mean one that has similiar playing characteristics to a V1 or V1X. These could be had for a very decent price from lostgolfballs.com. They are in great condition and they have great prices.

Isn't the problem with a high hcp'er playing a 'premium' ball that they probably don't have high swing speeds (>100mph) and therefore will not be able to utilize the full potential of the ball and also might lose distance on shots? Aside from that whats the point of using a 3 piece ball in order to get spin when you don't even know how to put spin on the ball?

Well if your really struggling and losing lots of balls then you really can't beat the, "range ball" :) They can be found at almost any pro shop and usually go for around $3.00 per 50 or so.

The above was my weak attempt at humor.....

I also like the Maxfli tour revolution. I recently bought a box of MC ladies balls for next to nothing and they actually play very nice.

i'm going to have to disagree. as stated before many high handicappers just don't possess the swing peed to benefit from a premium 3-piece ball as well as some 3-piece balls creating more side spin and thus accentuting some high handicappers slices and so forth. that being said i think that the bridgestone E5 and E6's are worth taking a look at as well as the callaway Hx red and Hx hots

Top Flites are fairly inexpensive and are used on the Tour. They are an excellent ball. If you shoot in the 90s you will not be able to tell the difference between a Top Flite or a Pro V. The Pro V, and like, are for players who are able to fine tune their game and use the most of their ability, they are not worth the extra money to an average player. Have fun, don't worry about ball performance too much, most are the same if from a reputable maker.

i think you need to be a little more specific when you say you can't tell a difference between a top flite or a pro-v. i had to quite using top flite xl3000's when i started using my nike pro combos because they were too harsh. now the infinitely lines were pretty good balls, and the stratas are great. i stocked up last winter on the strata tour soft (discontinued).

i agree, that there is a lot to be said about better balls, but that doesn't mean you need to spend $40 a dozen.

definetly look at used balls, AAAA grade. these can be had real cheap and are as good as new.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

as stated before many high handicappers just don't possess the swing peed to benefit from a premium 3-piece ball as well as some 3-piece balls creating more side spin and thus accentuting some high handicappers slices and so forth.

Is there a point of reference for how fast your ss needs to be before you can utilize the benefits of these higher priced balls?

TIA

as stated before many high handicappers just don't possess the swing peed to benefit from a premium 3-piece ball as well as some 3-piece balls creating more side spin and thus accentuting some high handicappers slices and so forth.

Is there a point of reference for how fast your ss needs to be before you can utilize the benefits of these higher priced balls?

TIA

I believe that you need a swing speed of >90mph, obviously the higher the better and the better the ball will perform for you

Pinnacle Exception is the best value IMO.... :)

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

best balls in the world are the ones found on the golf course while you are searching for yours. this is the perfect opportunity to test out a different kind of ball by using someone elses money/ball before you go out and spend your hard earn money on your own balls! found soo many balls out there, from nikes, callys, titleists, maxis, butt load of top flites, almost everything and anything! search and you shall find! peace out homes and happy golfing!

Pinnacle Gold Distance is a pretty descent cheap ball. Titleist DT Solo's and NXT's are good as well. Maxfli Noodle is also a descent ball. I usually play Pinnicale's and Noodles in the early spring, while I dust off my swing.

If you're really having a problem slicing them into the woods or lakes, and short game feel isn't an issue, go with the x outs, or recycled balls. They should be about the cheapest things on the shelves. Best thing to do though is fix the swing.

Precept MC Lady and Wilson i-wound can both be had for around $10. Both of these are great balls for the money. Maxfli Rev Tours are superior balls for anywhere around $20. I think you are right in concluding that it is kind of dumb to spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest golf ball if you are just starting out and this is particularly true during the fall and early spring when courses tend to be soggy or damp. All balls are long at this point, and most of them feel pretty soft. Any ball will hold a green when the green is mud.

Thanks for the input!

Titleist DT Solo or NXT both good quality balls at a very good price

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

As a high handicapper, Nike Distance SFT was recently recommended to me. Double dozens right now for $20.

Also, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think it applies. Multiple times people mentioned high handicappers not having the swing speed to take advantage of a premium ball. What does handicap have to do with swing speed? If you are a big (6'7") former baseball player like myself, you can generate plenty of swing speed and still have a high handicap, right? With the hacks I have played with, often the faster the swing, the higher the handicap.

Also, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think it applies. Multiple times people mentioned high handicappers not having the swing speed to take advantage of a premium ball. What does handicap have to do with swing speed? If you are a big (6'7") former baseball player like myself, you can generate plenty of swing speed and still have a high handicap, right? With the hacks I have played with, often the faster the swing, the higher the handicap.

Your right in saying that being a high handicapper does not necissarily mean you have a slow swing speed, but your missing a few factors. For one high handicappers who have high swing speeds will generally hit the ball of center and therefore put a lot of unwanted side spin on the ball, this problem will then be accenuated by the premium balls which are made to spin more.

Also, high handicappers should not be trying to have high swing speeds. The reason why a high handicapper doesn't hit the ball far is because they don't hit the clubs sweet spot. They (actually we cuz I'm a high handicapper too) should be focusing on having a nice steady and fairly slow swing speed in order to try to make the best contact possible. I'm sure a lot of people can swing just as hard as Woods but they can't swing that hard and hit the ball right, thats the problem.

And finally hacks usually have high swing speeds because when they hit the ball it goes nowhere and they get frustrated and try to hit it farther on their next shot. This leads to them overpowering a shot and mishitting the ball for another 20 yards. Its just a vicious cycle :)

Your right in saying that being a high handicapper does not necissarily mean you have a slow swing speed, but your missing a few factors. For one high handicappers who have high swing speeds will generally hit the ball of center and therefore put a lot of unwanted side spin on the ball, this problem will then be accenuated by the premium balls which are made to spin more.

Also, high handicappers should not be trying to have high swing speeds. The reason why a high handicapper doesn't hit the ball far is because they don't hit the clubs sweet spot. They (actually we cuz I'm a high handicapper too) should be focusing on having a nice steady and fairly slow swing speed in order to try to make the best contact possible. I'm sure a lot of people can swing just as hard as Woods but they can't swing that hard and hit the ball right, thats the problem.

And finally hacks usually have high swing speeds because when they hit the ball it goes nowhere and they get frustrated and try to hit it farther on their next shot. This leads to them overpowering a shot and mishitting the ball for another 20 yards. Its just a vicious cycle :)

Nice points. I'm sure I don't strike the ball consistently. I don't intentionally try to swing hard, but I'm sure I could benefit by backing off sometimes.

Nice points. I'm sure I don't strike the ball consistently. I don't intentionally try to swing hard, but I'm sure I could benefit by backing off sometimes.

Thanks, and I feel the same way, I don't purpously swing hard but it happens because I get frustrated or annoyed at how I'm playing, thats what makes this game so difficult :)

Thanks for the input!

Pinnacle Exception is an outstanding ball for the money. Also very good in cold weather.

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member

For the price I like the Noodle myself with Pinnacle not far behind. Hate Top Flites, they feel & sound like I'm hitting a rock. I got a good deal on some Pro V1s practice balls off eBay, $.75/ea and really like these. I'll use just about anything I find but if I'm buying then I'm back to my Noodles.

:)