Iron length and grip size

handicap122003

My first question is do all taller player needs extra length in their irons?   I’m 6 foot four and I’ve always played extra length like 1 inch over standard.  I bought a standard length set of Callaway Irons and I’m struggling with posture any thoughts?  

My next question is about standard grip size I’ve always used midsize grips now these are standard is it supposed to be easier to release the club with a smaller diameter grip rather than the midsize.   I’m in engineer so I think the midsize grip should be easier to rotate with less amount of force any thoughts?  

I'm interested in the science of the grip as well.

I can for 100% say that it applies for me.. I'm a big and a half dude, but play regular grips. The second I get a midsize or above in my hand (every fitter starts there unless I preempt it), I push the ball 15yds right. Without deviation that always happens.

I can't feel/tell why though, so I'm interested to learn as well!

Length of iron shafts doesn't bother me as much, I can relatively easily adjust to that. But I still prefer at least +1 inch (depending on how long the standard is). Grip size though - no, gotta be regular.

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Not all tall players, have lengthened irons.  Depends on how a person addresses the ball, including where their height is, body wise.  My buddy is 6'3, but plays standard length irons.  My son is 6'2, and plays standard length. 

Midsize or larger diameter grips can help slow the hands from rolling over too quickly.  But size tends to depend more on hand size.  I have large hands, and still play standard size GP Align with 3 wraps.  I could play midsize grips, but chose not to.  My buddy has really large hands, and his hands turn over too quickly, ball go left, so he has 10 wraps under a standard grip.

Standing too upright can also influence the ball direction.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1.  The only real reason one needs extra length irons is if the wedges are too short.   The posture issue shouldn't exist for anything other than the 9/PW in the std length set if it's just a length issue.  This is because the 8I in the standard length set would be the same length as the PW in the 1" extra length set.  So if you have no posture issues with the 1" over set, you shouldn't have any issues with the 8I down to whatever your lowest iron is in the std length set.  (this all assumes both sets are based on the same stds).   What could be causing your posture issue is that at std length the lie angle is too flat for you and you feel as if you need to lower your hands to get the head to appear properly soled to your eye.   Another reason you might be having trouble hitting the std length set is that all your sets at 1" over most likely had pretty high swingweights and the std length set is playing at 'normal' swingweights.  

2.  People react in different ways to changes in grip size.  The general rule is that larger grips make it harder to release and smaller make it easier.  But again, some might react just the opposite.   

Edited by webwarmiller

1 hour ago, handicap122003 said:

My first question is do all taller player needs extra length in their irons?   I’m 6 foot four and I’ve always played extra length like 1 inch over standard.  I bought a standard length set of Callaway Irons and I’m struggling with posture any thoughts?  

Depends as much on arm length as it does height.   And athletic ability certainly can play a big part in at what point the a club becomes too short.

However, struggling with posture - especially if it's mostly in the shorter irons - is a very common indication of them being too short for you.

My next question is about standard grip size I’ve always used midsize grips now these are standard is it supposed to be easier to release the club with a smaller diameter grip rather than the midsize.   I’m in engineer so I think the midsize grip should be easier to rotate with less amount of force any thoughts?  

Smaller being easier to release is a common misconception.   it was thought that was the case due to the biomechanics of the hand (internal effects not external effects).  But in truth there is no direct correlation for the more typical variations in grip size.  Sure if you want to compare holding a 1/2" diamter grip with a 2" diameter grip, the biomechanics might come into play, but not for difference of only 1/16" or even 1/8".  

It really all comes down to how the different size effects how secure the grip feels to the player and how much that feel effects the levels of tension in the wrist, hand and forearm.   The more secure the grip feels, the less tension the player feels might be needed and the more free the wrist motion can potentially be.    When the grip feels less secure because of the change in size, anything can happen.   Just think about what can happen when you the grips get wet or worn out (or without a glove).

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, Stuart_G said:

effects how secure the grip feels to the player and how much that feel effects the levels of tension in the wrist, hand and forearm.   The more secure the grip feels, the less tension the player feels might be needed and the more free the wrist motion can potentially be

In my mind a "free the wrist motion" would make the wrist more inclined to "turn over", and therefore create a left missing shot (for a right handed player). Or am I misunderstanding you?

(edit: I base that on lack of a wrist motion would result in a block / right miss.. but I'm open to that being a misunderstanding on my part as well)

What you say makes sense in my head. It's orthogonal to my personal experience, but it's logical... so I'm a bit stuck here.

Just goes to show golf is still a dark art, and fitters/pros/coaches have one heck of a difficult job 😄

Edited by Rocky Ball-boa
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

19 minutes ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

In my mind a "free the wrist motion" would make the wrist more inclined to "turn over", and therefore create a left missing shot (for a right handed player). Or am I misunderstanding you?

(edit: I base that on lack of a wrist motion would result in a block / right miss.. but I'm open to that being a misunderstanding on my part as well)

I look at it this way.  Less tension doesn't mean less control or that the club will go off and do whatever it wants.  We're talking about less excess tension, not a free uncontrolled joint.   The less excess tension, the more likely the club will do what you've intended it to do and will be controlled the way you've learned to control it. And therefore the more consistent the result.    The more tension the more you have to fight against that excess tension to compensate and the less chance you have of being successful at the intended motion.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1