2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

P90X DVD

Emperoryder

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To anyone who has done the Kenpo disc, would it matter if I did the workout 3 hrs before I hit the range or should I do it after. If it doesn't have to much affect on the swing I'll do it before.

i've done kenpo a few times before heading out to play. i think it's a great pre-round workout/warm up.

Sweet, thanks.

i slacked off last night and didn't do chest, shoulders, and tri plus abn ripper x. so today i have to do that plus plyometics! i just got done with chest shoulders tri and ab ripper so who knows if i will survive plyo.

on the plus side i am in week 7 now and definitely seeing improvement. i did much better during pushups today and actually managed 20 plyometics pushups (the full airborne version). in the first week i could barely make it to the second round in chest and back so it is promising. i like to gauge my results off the plyo pushups because i see these as being the most useful for golf because of their explosive nature.

so those wondering about kenpo and then golfing you should be fine, it is the easiest workout. and as for the soreness mine has been relatively gone since the first week aside from some leg issues which is mostly due to poor hamsting flexibility.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

It turns out it was yoga day for me, not kenpo. My goodness some of those stretches were hard, even more so when you've got a gut in the way. What really killed me were the yoga ab poses, burnnnnn. During the first part, I had to stop doing the vayasa(?) and just stay in plank until they did downward dog.

Can someone clarify some things. Is this literally a dvd workout which you whack on your tv and go along too? Do you need any additional things? weights? Yoga Mats?

I have a gym membership which i pay quite a bit for. I barely ever use it though due to the cretins that occupy it and the tiny size.

you do need a few other things, a pullup bar and a set of dumbells are what most prefer. i myself use resistance bands instead of dumbells and i much prefer going that route. if you have a very nice set of resistance bands you could also get away without having a pullup and use the bands to do pulldowns.

i highly recommend pushup bars as it allows for deeper pushups with better form and less strain on the wrists. i do not own a yoga mat, but i will be buying one as the sliding a bit on a carpet is annoying.

but really to get started without spending a lot of money i would suggest a pullup bar and i cheap set of resistance bands (maybe 3 to 5 bands) to get you going and then from there you can decide what will work best.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

It's a set of 13 dvds. You need: mat, resistance bands or dumbells, pull up bar. The pullup bar excercises can be done using resitance bands but a pull up bar is recomended.

I started with just a mat, yoga block, resistance bands for pullups, and a set of adjustable bumbells. I later added a pullup bar and don't use the bands. Hope this helps.

I finally ordered P90x. I ended up getting it from Ebay, even though I said I was getting it from Beachbody. But it was about half off and I had some money in the Paypal account. It's DVDs only, no manuals or guides. Is this a big deal, do I really need those? If I really need those, I'm sure I can find them somewhere online.

I finally ordered P90x. I ended up getting it from Ebay, even though I said I was getting it from Beachbody. But it was about half off and I had some money in the Paypal account. It's DVDs only, no manuals or guides. Is this a big deal, do I really need those? If I really need those, I'm sure I can find them somewhere online.

The guides really help. There are really three versions of P90X, Classic, Doubles, and Lean. The Fitness Guide lays out the sequencing of the workouts, and the nutritional guide is also very helpful. If you want maximum results, I would suggest you look for the Fitness Guide.

Ok thanks, I'll do that. When I bid, the auction said the manuals and guides were included. After I won (buy it now) the guy added info that said no guides were included. He's selling more than one P90x. That's Ebay for you. Oh well.

That is so wrong. If you won an auction that included the guides, you should receive the guides. If not, I would file a claim.

Ok thanks, I'll do that. When I bid, the auction said the manuals and guides were included. After I won (buy it now) the guy added info that said no guides were included. He's selling more than one P90x. That's Ebay for you. Oh well.

That is so wrong. If you won an auction that included the guides, you should receive the guides. If not, I would file a claim.

I know. I'm going to wait until I get the DVDs and make sure that they are ok. Everything on Ebay is time stamped, so i I file a complaint I can prove that I ordered it before he "updated" the info.

Is this what I would need?

- P90X NUTRITION PLAN

- P90X FITNESS GUIDE

- P90X FIT TEST

- P90X CALENDAR (original)

- P90X WORKSHEETS

- P90X CALENDAR (MY VERSION)

- BEACHBODY DIET GUIDE

- P90X DIET GUIDE

- P90X HYBRID WORKOUT GUIDE

- P90X EXCEL WORKSHEETS

- P90X SCHEDULE

That sounds about right.

While with things like clubs, etc, I understand the appeal of ebay, when it comes to things that can easily be pirated, do these hassles not completely remove any value of the "discount"?

Just a word of advice from someone who is in day 79 of it.

Take it slow. There are very few people who can keep up with the workouts while keeping form when you just start. Don't discourage yourself and try to do EXACTLY what they do because you will fail and crash hard.

The important thing with all the moves is FORM. You can do 25 reps with 25lb weights with the wrong form and it is useless.

Make sure you spend at least 2 weeks taking it slow, learning all the moves and only doing a small amount of what the video shows.

Get a Yoga mat, 8,10,15,20 lb weights...no more than 20lbs weights will be needed. Make sure you have a stool and a chair for some of the dips and kicks, you don't really need a Yoga block unless you have bad balance. It's basically only used for a guide for people who can't touch a certain spot.

But take my first advice when doing this...there is no way someone who needs to use this can keep up with the workouts in your first week...absolutely no chance so don't kill yourself, take it slow learn the moves and do the moves properly I can't stress that enough.

Get a Yoga mat, 8,10,15,20 lb weights...no more than 20lbs weights will be needed. Make sure you have a stool and a chair for some of the dips and kicks, you don't really need a Yoga block unless you have bad balance. It's basically only used for a guide for people who can't touch a certain spot.

It will depend for each individual if more then 20 is needed. I routinely use 30 - 45 lbs for some of the back excercises. Most of the other ones I'm in the 15 - 25 lbs range. It also depends on your goals. If you are looking to tone which is the 13 - 15 rep, then you'll use lower weight. if you're trying to build some size it's 6 - 8 reps with higher weights.

The yoga block is real handy if you don't have good balance and flexibility. There's a number of stretches/positions where I can't touch the floor and get the full extension they are looking for. A yoga block really helps with that.

- P90X NUTRITION PLAN

- P90X FITNESS GUIDE

- P90X FIT TEST

- P90X WORKSHEETS

- BEACHBODY DIET GUIDE

- P90X DIET GUIDE

- P90X EXCEL WORKSHEETS

- P90X SCHEDULE

That sounds about right.

While with things like clubs, etc, I understand the appeal of ebay, when it comes to things that can easily be pirated, do these hassles not completely remove any value of the "discount"?

You have a point for sure. Although, I would be more scared to buy golf clubs on Ebay than anything else. If the DVDs are legit and after paying $10 for the guides, I'll have spent $80. There's always that risk of getting ripped off. Anyway, I hate to take this thread any more off topic than I already have. Sorry.

It will depend for each individual if more then 20 is needed. I routinely use 30 - 45 lbs for some of the back excercises. Most of the other ones I'm in the 15 - 25 lbs range. It also depends on your goals. If you are looking to tone which is the 13 - 15 rep, then you'll use lower weight. if you're trying to build some size it's 6 - 8 reps with higher weights.

The yoga block is real handy if you don't have good balance and flexibility. There's a number of stretches/positions where I can't touch the floor and get the full extension they are looking for. A yoga block really helps with that.

I thought the guy said he was doing the "Lean" in which case no more than 20 Lbs is needed maybe I was mistaken.

- P90X NUTRITION PLAN

- P90X FITNESS GUIDE

- P90X FIT TEST

- P90X WORKSHEETS

- BEACHBODY DIET GUIDE

- P90X DIET GUIDE

- P90X EXCEL WORKSHEETS

- P90X SCHEDULE

That sounds about right.

You have a point for sure. Although, I would be more scared to buy golf clubs on Ebay than anything else. If the DVDs are legit and after paying $10 for the guides, I'll have spent $80. There's always that risk of getting ripped off. Anyway, I hate to take this thread any more off topic than I already have. Sorry.

I guess I just figured that what you will have paid is not much more than it would have cost to get a legit copy, whereas clubs or other hard goods are sold and resold. The odds are much less that a golf club is stolen when sold on ebay....or maybe that my naivete would like to think.

Anyway,to get back on topic, I started the lean program on Thursday(works out so that the day off is my hockey night). So I did Shoulders and Arms today, and it wasn't quite as bad as Core Synegistics, but then I did Ab Ripper X. My wife joined me for that, and even accounting for the fact she has done many more situps than I have, both she and Tony kicked my a**.

Bluefan75,

i looked at the lean version workouts and noticed that the rest day is rest or x stretch. as a golfer i would highly recommend that if you are going to drop one of the workouts you drop kenpo x and do x stretch on that day. kenpo is basically only working cardio and it seems like your hockey would take care of that while the streching will probably be a very good benefit to you.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Hey all I just started las night. Wow if you push yourself, I think this will work. I am stiff this mourning, I used to go to gym and have not felt like this in a long time. I am 5'5" and 162 my waist is 33, and my game needs help. Let's see what happens, I hope to get to 150 and be able to walk and shoot in the 70's. We shall see.

Bluefan75,

i looked at the lean version workouts and noticed that the rest day is rest or x stretch. as a golfer i would highly recommend that if you are going to drop one of the workouts you drop kenpo x and do x stretch on that day. kenpo is basically only working cardio and it seems like your hockey would take care of that while the streching will probably be a very good benefit to you.

Thanks, I hadn't really considered dropping a workout, I was just going to follow the program...I haven't watched the stretch, but I don't think it's overly tiring?? I could do it in the morning before work. I've done half marathons the past two years, so straight cardio doesn't bother me that much(shin splints tough have forced me to find other ways of getting the cardio than running for the time being). It's adding the weights to the routine that kills me. Bt that is good thought if I wasn't going to stretch on Wednesdays...

I suppose this will be confesional as well. This is my first week, so today was #4, Yoga X. I lasted 45 minutes. All the holding yourself up in plank and downard dog, etc., just wiped me out.....next week if I can make to an hour I will be happy....That Yoga is brutal when yo have little flexibility!

(PS., I'm a little upset I got the program at a store here in Canada. I'm waiting for hte Euro tour coverage to startm and the infomercial is on, and man are they tossing in goodies!!)

the stretching isn't tiring at all. my point about the kenpo is that it doesn't build any muscle and its only goal really is cardio, so if you are already in shape then i doubt kenpo will push you too hard. do the dvd maybe once and you will see what i mean.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Just "finished" my first week of P90X. Man, this stuff is hard! I couldn't get through any of the workouts without hitting the pause button multiple times. Even the yoga was killer. I've also got some limitations due to my left knee quadriceps tendonitis so I can't do the plyometrics or some of the leg work. I think I'll substitute cardio or kenpo on the plyometric day.

Just "finished" my first week of P90X. Man, this stuff is hard! I couldn't get through any of the workouts without hitting the pause button multiple times. Even the yoga was killer. I've also got some limitations due to my left knee quadriceps tendonitis so I can't do the plyometrics or some of the leg work. I think I'll substitute cardio or kenpo on the plyometric day.

that's too bad hogan, as i think the plyo workout is one of the better ones for golf, helps build that explosiveness. i know what you could be going through in the quad section though, i don't have any injuries in the quad, but i was sore for first two months in both quads during p90x consistently. you do plyo which wipes them out, then yoga does again, then the legs and back workout and by the time they feel good its plyo time again !. i would hate to imagine what that is like with tendonitis.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

I recv'd my P90x package last week friday but unfortunately I've been very sick the last 8 days. Unable to workout has afforded me the time to read and review the documentation and the DVD's. After reading all the P90x threads, I've chosen to start with the Lean program then start the P90x program. I'm 53 years old, 5'9", 218lbs (most of the weight in my midsection) and poor flexibility. My plan is to lose about 40-45 pounds by my birthday (June). I feel I need to get the heart and lungs functioning better before I jump into the P90x program and struggle.

So, at what point in this program does the soreness become "less noticeable?" I've lifted before and the soreness was always there to some degree, it just became a non-issue. After yesterday's Plyo, my hip-flexors are freaking sore like a mofo. I'm doing shoulder and arms tonight so this should be a little bit of a rest, for the hips at least.

Cesar! Sup punk! :) I'm starting week 7 today and I'm still sore after all the resistance workouts. The soreness is less than it used to be, and doesn't last quite as long, but it's still there the day after the workout...or even two days after. I don't know if that's typical--I'm pushing myself pretty hard.

If you have actual PAIN when trying the Plyo then yeah, substitute something else. If you can do some of it and only have to skip a few exercises that might be another option. They use some of the Plyo moves in the cardio DVD so take a look and see if that'll work for you.

Anyone else noticed that this thread is on page 6 and there's been overwhelmingly positive praise for P90X? I don't remember reading that anyone's tried it and been displeased. :partytime2: