2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Thanks. Added Chalk Mountain to the list.

Yeah, after Monterey I'll head to San Martin, and then south again as I work my way towards Las Vegas. 

I'll be in the bay area this fall as I conclude my trip heading down the west coast from Vancouver. 

Yes, I played Pasitiempo in 2017, along with Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass, and Poppy Hills. 

More than happy to provide some local knowledge if you head through Bend Oregon on that leg of your trip. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Thanks. Added Chalk Mountain to the list.

Yeah, after Monterey I'll head to San Martin, and then south again as I work my way towards Las Vegas. 

I'll be in the bay area this fall as I conclude my trip heading down the west coast from Vancouver. 

Yes, I played Pasitiempo in 2017, along with Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass, and Poppy Hills. 

Got it.  Cordevalle?

Just now, Mullenboy said:

Got it.  Cordevalle?

Yes, it's definitely on the list. San Martin will be the next stop after Monterey.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

12 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yes, it's definitely on the list. San Martin will be the next stop after Monterey.

Cordevalle is the only course in San Martin.  Nearby would be Eagle Ridge (hard and expensive and not worth your time); The Institute (very very very private); Gilroy GC (9 holes, cheap, kinda fun) and Gavilan GC (9 holes, very raw, bare bones golf_.

If you are willing to go a little farther north you have Cinnabar Hills (three nines, all cool, worth playing); and Coyote Creek (two 18s, both overpriced, both OK at best).

It's not a great area for golf.  I live here.  San Jose.

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Cordevalle is the only course in San Martin.  Nearby would be Eagle Ridge (hard and expensive and not worth your time); The Institute (very very very private); Gilroy GC (9 holes, cheap, kinda fun) and Gavilan GC (9 holes, very raw, bare bones golf_.

If you are willing to go a little farther north you have Cinnabar Hills (three nines, all cool, worth playing); and Coyote Creek (two 18s, both overpriced, both OK at best).

It's not a great area for golf.  I live here.  San Jose.

I was considering Cinnabar Hills, Coyote Creek, and Eagle Ridge. Looks like I'll skip Eagle Ridge and possibly pick up the 2nd course at Coyote. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

I was considering Cinnabar Hills, Coyote Creek, and Eagle Ridge. Looks like I'll skip Eagle Ridge and possibly pick up the 2nd course at Coyote. 

That's a wise plan.  At Coyote Creek... Tournament is a little more interesting, and more expensive.  It also would be a very painful walk as it has two long stretches between holes going from one side of the freeway to the other.   Valley is flat and less interesting and cheaper but also a frustrating walk due to the routing.. you pass by several tees you thin should be your next only to be taken to what is your next which is miles away.

Cinnabar is also a difficult walk only due to hills and lots of ups and downs.

This is the land of cart golf.  🙂

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mci711 said:

What dates will you be in Vegas? I have a few trips there over the next few months. Have you done any of the mesquite or St George courses? 

the new Black Desert looks awesome - https://www.blackdesertresort.com/

Right now I'm looking at a mid-April arrival in Vegas. I'll likely spend two weeks there. Really depends on the forecast for Utah, as I'll head north when the weather allows. 

Yeah, I have Black Desert on the list, along with Coral Canyon, Copper Rock, and Falcon Ridge. 

I made one previous trip to St Georges and Mesquite. Played Sky Mountain, Sand Hollow, Conestoga, Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, and Casablanca. 

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Right now I'm looking at a mid-April arrival in Vegas. I'll likely spend two weeks there. Really depends on the forecast for Utah, as I'll head north when the weather allows. 

Yeah, I have Black Desert on the list, along with Coral Canyon, Copper Rock, and Falcon Ridge. 

I made one previous trip to St Georges and Mesquite. Played Sky Mountain, Sand Hollow, Conestoga, Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, and Casablanca. 

We are in Santa Clara, UT, and have been here since early January. We walk along the lava field trail in the mornings and get a nice view of several holes at Black Desert. It looks to be in great condition. If the whole course is as good as the few holes we can see I don't think you'll  be disappointed.

• Like 1

Dreary day. Rain continues, and is heavy at times. Thankfully it was an uneventful drive to Northridge this morning. Still boggles my mind that driving from one suburb of the city to another takes 90 minutes. Only two accidents on the way slowing things down. Seems a lot of people wisely stayed home today, as traffic was relatively light. I just don't understand why some drivers have a death wish by driving in heavy rain with no headlights on. Take a black, grey, or silver vehicle, throw in some spray kicked up by the trucks, and you simply can't be seen. I don't know if the state mandates headlights when wipers are on, but it's just common sense to be seen in poor visibility. 

The RV park is small, but cozy. Decent amount of width to park Bessie and the Honda. I'll be here until next Wednesday when I head to Ventura. Certainly hope things dry out there by next week. 

I moved tomorrow's tee time at Los Robles Greens to next Monday, as it'll probably still be raining off and on. Booked a tee time at Balboa for tomorrow. Just received an email from them stating that it will be walking only tomorrow. Should help with the pace as I expect most players to cancel. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mullenboy said:

"Still boggles my mind that driving from one suburb of the city to another takes 90 minutes. "

That's LA.. be thankful it was only 90 minutes.

Ahhhhh Balboa... one of my former home courses as a kid.  It is nothing special whatsoever.  But I am truly looking forward to your report.

It looks rather ho hum, but given the weather it's probably a good course to play in the rain. 

41 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It looks rather ho hum, but given the weather it's probably a good course to play in the rain. 

Ho hum is a compliment.  🙂

It's just a bit of home for me... I grew up playing that course.

Now if you go to Weddington Golf & Tennis (9 hole par 3) or Van Nuys GC (18 hole par 3, 9 hole executive) and post pics of those... I might die happy.  Those were the first courses I ever played... ahh the memories.

None of these are truly worth playing.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Ho hum is a compliment.  🙂

It's just a bit of home for me... I grew up playing that course.

Now if you go to Weddington Golf & Tennis (9 hole par 3) or Van Nuys GC (18 hole par 3, 9 hole executive) and post pics of those... I might die happy.  Those were the first courses I ever played... ahh the memories.

None of these are truly worth playing.  

Lol. The courses I starting playing back when I was 12 years old wouldn't win any beauty contests, but they too hold a special place in my heart. Well, except for the one that drove me away from the game for 15 years after another 6 hour round in 103 degree heat. Oy. 

Wow, it actually stopped raining. At least for an hour or so. Got out for a beer at Blue Palms Brew House. 20 taps with a decent mix of regional brews. Enjoying a Common Space Brewery Tripel Dragon Belgian Tripel. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Dreary day. Rain continues, and is heavy at times. Thankfully it was an uneventful drive to Northridge this morning. Still boggles my mind that driving from one suburb of the city to another takes 90 minutes. Only two accidents on the way slowing things down. Seems a lot of people wisely stayed home today, as traffic was relatively light. I just don't understand why some drivers have a death wish by driving in heavy rain with no headlights on. Take a black, grey, or silver vehicle, throw in some spray kicked up by the trucks, and you simply can't be seen. I don't know if the state mandates headlights when wipers are on, but it's just common sense to be seen in poor visibility. 

Yes, that is in the California Vehicle Code.  IIRC, it went into effect in 2005.  Of course, common sense isn't all that common.  I take a company bus to-and-from work 5 days-a-week with nothing much else to do other than "people watch" on the ~60 minute ride and it's enough to make shake your head almost constantly at the stuff you see drivers do - or don't do.  LOL.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* / New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

Woke up at 3:30 am to the sound of heavy rain on Bessie's roof. The forecast called for rain through the morning, so I figured it was going to be a soggy round. It still turned out to be extremely wet, but at least I played under blue skies. Balboa today. I didn't have high expectations, and they were clearly met. It sure ain't no Rancho Park. The flat parkland muni is about as boring as they come. Only thing that kept it interesting was the huge splashes as tee shots hit the lakes in the fairways. Lol. Light bunkering. No water in play other than a couple of small concrete drainage channels that cross a couple of the fairways. Only one sweeper, the par 4 16th. That said, it was probably the right course to play after several days of rain. Just a handful of diehards out there, so it was nice to have a quick round. 

Very easy off the tee with generous fairways and light bunkering. Minor misses were no problem other than the inconsistent height of the rough. Big misses might find an adjacent fairway, or be played out of the trees. Approaches were easy as the greens were moderately sized with light bunkering. The ground was saturated, so no chance running a shot up the throat. Greens had little contouring, and gentle slope. Putting was easy peasy, but the slow speeds proved difficult to overcome. Up and downs were straightforward. 

The three par 3s were meh. Decent mix of lengths, though. The three 5s were also ho hum. The 3rd could be reached in two on a dry day, but no risk. The three short 4s were benign. 

Conditions were barely playable. Walking only. Small lakes littered the fairways. Geese were having a grand time. Every step brought water to the surface when you weren't actually walking through a puddle. I gave up trying to find a somewhat walkable path through the wet minefield. Turf obviously hadn't been cut in days, and was a mix of heights. Same with the rough. Bunkers were washed out, but looked like they had sand. Greens looked quite nice, but they were very soft and slow. 8 would be generous. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6240 yds (68.8/113). Got off the tee well, but drives were going nowhere. Two birdies and five bogies. Stuck a pair of wedges to kick in birdie distance on the first two par 5s. Highlight of the day was the 30' par putt on the long par 3 17th. There was a ballmark halfway to the hole that I was too lazy to fix, but I planned to go high (right) of it. Pulled my putt, and hit the ballmark, which redirected the putt right and into the hole. Just like I drew it up. Lol. 

Going with 3 cows here. Not going to ding it on the conditions. The course, along with its sister course Encino, are built on a flood plain. No surprise it was sloppy. The $35 walking rate was about right. Nice course to learn the game, but it can safely be skipped. It did remind me of a couple of the munis I grew up playing, so there was a positive side to the round in addition to simply getting out to walk after a couple of days. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Balboa GC, Encino, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/w3dpsai73dru7gla6l2fx/h?rlkey=ffv00q90y50q3gf58wousy1sc&dl=0

• Like 2

Finished my round this morning before the brewpubs opened, so it was back to Bessie for a shower and a nice nap. Headed out to Finney's Taphouse. 30 taps of local brews with a nice mix. Starting with the 818 Gravity Hill Belgian Tripel. Debating if I'll follow that with a Belgian Golden Strong or a nitro imperial stout. 

spacer.png

No luck finding a tee time for Saturday. Harding, Wilson, and Hansen Dam are all booked until mid-afternoon. Will keep trying. Hopefully something opens up on Friday afternoon when the cancelations start rolling in. 

Probably going to take a day off on Sunday. Thinking about visiting the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's been 34 years since I last visited the area. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Balboa!!!!  Love it.  Yeah I thought it might only get two cows.  You described it perfectly.  It was a fine course to grow up on.  But even I rarely go back.. and I have nostalgia reasons.

My gosh it looks wet but you're right, it's in a flood plain.

Be careful in Hollywood.  It's not awful nor highly dangerous but.. just keep your eyes open.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:36 AM, Argonne69 said:

Planning ahead, there aren't any RV parks near San Luis Obispo, so I'm probably going to split the stay between Pismo Beach (Cypress Ridge, Monarch Dunes, Morro Bay, Avila Beach, Sea Pines) and Los Robles (Paso Robles, Hunter Ranch) before heading up to Monterey. 

Monterey looks even less promising for RV parks. There's one in Carmel, but it's $140 a night. Another only has one spot that can fit a 35' motorhome. Ouch. Looks like I'll have to stay north of the peninsula, and drive 40 minutes each day. 

When are you going to be in Pismo?

Cypress and Monarch are our go to's around here

8 minutes ago, Kurtis4K said:

When are you going to be in Pismo?

Cypress and Monarch are our go to's around here

Tentative arrival date is Friday, March 15th. Plan is 6 nights. 

Excellent burger at Finney's. The Jalepeno Egg Burger with white cheddar, bacon, and chipotle aioli was delicious. The nitro imperial stout was a worthy addition. Burgers are a la carte, so I passed on the fries/o-rings. Gotta watch my figure. Lol. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StoutKing said:

Balboa Encino would do well to cut down 60% of the trees.  Many are diseased and overgrown.  They keep the greens/turf shaded and in bad shape.  These courses will never be Riv but they could be somewhat better.  

Whoa.  I played  the course in the late 70s / early 80s and we were saying that THEN.  Must be scary now.

4 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Whoa.  I played  the course in the late 70s / early 80s and we were saying that THEN.  Must be scary now.

It's bad.  They literally just planted a tree in a fairway on Balboa; head scratcher.  In fact I'd rather not play golf than play there.  Still, it seems fairly busy.