2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

Yeah, I saw that in the California travel subforum. Tee times selling out in seconds. 'Hope they clamp down on it. Simple solution is to require an ID when checking in to confirm that the person playing is the one who made the tee time. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Short walk on the beach adjacent to the RV park today. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Had to run to the hardware store to pick up a nylon tie down strap for Bessie's Roadmaster towbar, as the old one has deteriorated from UV exposure. Luckily Apogee Brewing Company is a couple of blocks away. Go figure. Lol. 

Enjoying their Space Cadet Belgian Strong Golden Ale. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Enjoyable morning. Again. Lol. Almost hot today with brilliant sunshine and temps in the 60s. Morro Bay today. The course is located inside Morro Bay State Park, but I believe it's operated by the county Lovely piece of property overlooking Morrow Bay. The parkland course is basically carved on the side of a hill with the front nine being on the higher part, and the back playing down towards the bay. Most of the holes play perpendicular to the slope, so plenty of sidehill lies. No water in play on the course. Fairway bunkering was almost nonexistent. Greenside was very light. Two gentle sweepers and one dogleg were the limit of left/right movement. 

With no fairway bunkers it was easy off the tee. Only consideration was the side slopes. Definitely needed to work the ball into the slopes to avoid running down into the rough. Minor misses were playable, but the rough was high enough to extract some penalty. Big misses could generally be found and played from the trees or adjacent fairways. Approaches were straightforward with decent sized greens with little danger in front. Greens had very little contouring, but a ton of slope (towards the ocean minus the 15th green). You did not want to be putting perpendicular to the slope. Oy. Up and downs were straightforward as long as you factored in the slope. The 12th was a treat. With the pin in the back right I had to pitch to the front right fringe and allow the ball to work it's way down. Good stuff. 

Par 3s were meh. Not much to look at. Two were long, but little trouble. The three 5s were also benign. The short, uphill 14th could be reached in two with a very good drive, but not much danger. Plenty of short 4s, but little trouble. 

Conditions were very good. Fairways were actually getting some rollout after the morning few burned off. Rough was thick, but a good height. Bunkers had plenty of sand. Greens looked fine, and probably rolling 9. However, I don't think there was a level putt put there. Upslope they felt like 8. Downslope they felt like 10 to 11. 

Played a Black/Blue combo at 6225 yds on the par 71 layout (70.4/121). Solid day driving the ball, but irons were poor coming off the numerous uneven lies. Couldn't buy a putt on the tricky greens. Eight bogies. Highlight of the day was my two playing partners, a grandfather and his college aged granddaughter. Both solid players, and great company. 

Going with 4 cows. Lovely piece of property that needs plenty of tweaks. Bunkering and risk/reward holes to start. I enjoyed the tricky greens, but they could use some contouring. The $45 senior walking rate was about right. Not a must play, and a little disappointing, but worth a visit if you're in the area. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Morro Bay GC, Morro Bay, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lol. Looking at these photos it appears that I was drunk when I took them, but that's the slope of the course. 

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://dl.dropbox.com/scl/fo/t2dgwkz246ftyseekiylw/h?rlkey=9zgdl8es8eqxbse7d8ukrndbv&dl=0

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Three Stacks and a Rock Brewing Company. Weird name, but when you stand outside looking at the ocean you get it. Lol. A dozen taps with a so-so mix. The A Beer Named Floyd American Strong Ale is a wee bit hoppy for an ale. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Morro Bay GC, Morro Bay, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lol. Looking at these photos it appears that I was drunk when I took them, but that's the slope of the course. 

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://dl.dropbox.com/scl/fo/t2dgwkz246ftyseekiylw/h?rlkey=9zgdl8es8eqxbse7d8ukrndbv&dl=0

This is why you're better at this than I would be Arg.  I see those views and I'm giving it a minimum 6 cows, even if it's a dog track. Of course not hitting a golf ball since October doesn't help much either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, eboettne said:

This is why you're better at this than I would be Arg.  I see those views and I'm giving it a minimum 6 cows, even if it's a dog track. Of course not hitting a golf ball since October doesn't help much either. 

The beauty of the course and surrounding views is definitely a part of the rating, but at the end of the day the design has to be challenging and force one to make strategic decisions or pull off tricky shots. Pounding driver or hitting approaches with zero risk gets boring quickly. Plenty of courses with great views that also have interesting and/or tough holes, so it's not an either/or proposition. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK, Californians. What is considered the border between northern and southern California? I noticed a placard at Morro Bay GC this morning that had "NCGA" (Northern California Golf Association) on it. I would consider Morro Bay to be SoCal, as it's 30 miles closer to LA than SF. 

I guess central California is the better option. 

Edited by Argonne69

16 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, Californians. What is considered the border between northern and southern California? I noticed a placard at Morro Bay GC this morning that had "NCGA" (Northern California Golf Association) on it. I would consider Morro Bay to be SoCal, as it's 30 miles closer to LA than SF. 

Some people even consider Ventura County central Cal not soCal.  You're definitely in the central area.  As for where Norcal begins?  Seems like Santa Cruz and above to me, but I'm not a native.

Edited by StoutKing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StoutKing said:

Some people even consider Ventura County central Cal not soCal.  You're definitely in the central area.  As for where Norcal begins?  Seems like Santa Cruz and above to me, but I'm not a native.

Morro bay is definately central CA if you ask a californian..  basically mexico to Santa Barbara is southern..  Santa Barbara to big sur is central..  Monterrey on up is norcal..  although if you divide the state in 3 SF would be central..  but were californian we dont operate on logic..  we operate on feel hahahah

and then there is the 909..  oh the dreaded IE

Edited by I3erto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I’m pretty sure NCGA covers north of San Luis Obispo. Then again I’ve always considered San Luis Obispo Central Coast. And maybe in the Central Valley, Fresno or Visalia is the cutoff point. But I wouldn’t bet on it. 😄  

And NCGA headquarters is at Poppy Hills.

Edited by tad950
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nickster135 said:

Fellow IT worker living in downtown Chicago (printers row area). Love the journey you are on, safe travels!!

Thanks. I lived in Dearborn Park, a block south of Printers Row, for 13 years before moving to Wicker Park, and then River North. Used to frequent several of the restaurants and bars in the area, including Blackie's, SRO, Amarit Thai, Edwardo's, and Kasey's. 'Looks like a few of the old places have closed.

13 hours ago, trilinkrealty said:

Morro Bay is the southernmost NCGA course.   At Sea Pines you get a SCGA handicap

I was a volunteer rater for the NCGA for 20 years.  That is exactly right - for how golf handicaps are determined.  That is, that is the divide between NCGA and SCGA.  It gets weirder near Nevada but... you didn't ask about that.  🙂

As for what is considered "NorCal" (and yes that "r" is correct) and what is considered "SoCal"... in terms of culture and how places are identified...there is no clear answer.  Depends on who you ask.  There really is no clear dividing line. nor does each state really claim half.  Arg for now just consider yourself on the "central coast" and you will be just fine.

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, I3erto said:

Morro bay is definately central CA if you ask a californian..  basically mexico to Santa Barbara is southern..  Santa Barbara to big sur is central..  Monterrey on up is norcal..  although if you divide the state in 3 SF would be central..  but were californian we dont operate on logic..  we operate on feel hahahah

and then there is the 909..  oh the dreaded IE

This nails it!  Far north is a separate region also... not sure there's a good name for it.  

The southern most NCGA course is San Luis Obispo County Club, about 15 miles down Highway 1 from Morro Bay. S.L.O.C.C. used to be SCGA but when the members realized the NCGA tournaments were held at Spyglass and Pebble (later Poppy Hills NCGA discounts sweetened the deal) they switched. 

Interestingly the Women's Club at Morro Bay is SCGA. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slocalifglfr said:

The southern most NCGA course is San Luis Obispo County Club, about 15 miles down Highway 1 from Morro Bay. S.L.O.C.C. used to be SCGA but when the members realized the NCGA tournaments were held at Spyglass and Pebble (later Poppy Hills NCGA discounts sweetened the deal) they switched. 

Interestingly the Women's Club at Morro Bay is SCGA. 

Yep that's correct.  I didn't remember that SLO CC is a little south from Morro Bay.  

Check out how it works in Nevada near Tahoe... some courses clearly in the state of NV are NCGA.. by choice... or at least used to be.

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another enjoyable morning. Thick marine layer on the early morning drive to the course, but luckily the course was fog free. Cypress Ridge today, a parkland layout on rolling terrain that routes through a housing development. The homes were set back far enough and there were enough trees to block most of them, so it didn't feel overly intrusive. Pretty looking course with plenty of native areas to lose balls. Water in play on just one hole, though. Not much left/right movement. The driveable par 4 16th was a dogleg, but there was a clear line of sight from the tee to the elevated green. Bunkering was decent. 

Moderately difficult off the tee. There wasn't a lot of danger out there, but the combination of mature trees and fairly narrow fairways gave one pause. Not a lot of room off the fairways, so minor misses could bring trouble. Big misses would generally be lost in the junk or OB, but a few holes on the front had adjacent fairways if one got lucky. Approaches were also moderately tough with decent greenside bunkering and a few elevated greens. That said, there were a few holes with practically no trouble near the greens. Greens had very little contouring, but they did have some slope. Not nearly as severe as Morro Bay, though. Putting was fairly straightforward. Plenty of uneven lies around the greens, so up and downs were trickier than average. 

Par 3s were OK. Good mix of lengths. The short uphill 13th was tough with solid bunkering. Three of the four par 5s were benign. The 9th was a very good risk reward with the green tucked left behind a pond. A good drive could be a green light special, but short or left was a no-no. They really should flip the 9s, as it would make a much better finishing hole than the current 18th. Short 4s were mixed. The three on the front were meh. The pair on the back were much better. The 16th was driveable, but could be much better with the addition of bunkering near the green. 

Conditions were good. Fairways weren't perfect, but better than average. Rough was thick and cut to a good height. Bunkers had just enough wet sand to be playable. Greens looked fine, but were slow. Probably 9. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6240 yds (70.3/126). They had an official combo, but I felt it was too short at 6140 yds, so I moved back to the Blues on a handful of holes. Driver didn't do me any favors today. The low left miss was back. Irons were OK, but too many long approaches. Couldn't putt on the sluggish greens. Seven bogies and a double. Highlight of the day was simply having the course to myself after playing through two groups early in the round. 

Going with 5 cows here. Nice looking parkland course, especially for one tucked in a housing development. Could use another risk/reward par 5, and some bunkering on the short par 4 16th. The $60 senior walking rate was fine. Drinking water on the course would have been nice. Can't say it's a must play, but it's worth a visit. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cypress Ridge GC, Arroyo Grande, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Go or no-go on the par 5 9th 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/e7je7kn8zyq01cwf5a6fu/h?rlkey=uxolicz87xcjbpx6j2stf9nn6&dl=0

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A slightly different schedule today. I stopped at Blast 825 Brewery in Arroyo Grande for a beer, but they were unexpectedly closed for a couple of days. 

So, I headed over to a smog testing facility. Lol. Illinois requires periodic emissions testing, and the Honda is due. Without a test, I can't renew the plates. Since the vehicle is no longer in state, I can apply for a waiver. However, if the vehicle is located in a state that requires testing, then one must submit a certificate of testing. Grrr. I'll be in Nevada next month, but the state also has emissions testing, so I got it out of the way here. 

Got a scare last night. I was watching TV and was distracted/annoyed that a light was flashing to my left. I initially thought that my neighbor was using a flashlight, and the light was coming through the living room window. It was occurring regularly. I walked out of Bessie's door on the opposite side of my neighbor, and I continued to see the light flashes in my left eye. Uh oh. I've had floaters in my eyes before, and the occasional flash that I chalked up to stray cosmic rays smacking my retina or optic nerve, but this flash was more than just a random thing. It was occurring several times a minute. PWoke up this morning and the flashes were still occurring. They're more noticeable in the dark than in daylight. I also have a sense of pressure in my left eye that isn't painful, but is noticeable. After getting back to the RV park and waking up from a nice nap, the flashes were back. Now, I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, but this has me spooked. If the flashes are still around tomorrow I'm going to head to an immediate care facility for a CT scan. My paranoia has me thinking that there's something pressing on my optic nerve. Probably aged related changes to the eye, but can't be casual about it. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

A slightly different schedule today. I stopped at Blast 825 Brewery in Arroyo Grande for a beer, but they were unexpectedly closed for a couple of days. 

So, I headed over to a smog testing facility. Lol. Illinois requires periodic emissions testing, and the Honda is due. Without a test, I can't renew the plates. Since the vehicle is no longer in state, I can apply for a waiver. However, if the vehicle is located in a state that requires testing, then one must submit a certificate of testing. Grrr. I'll be in Nevada next month, but the state also has emissions testing, so I got it out of the way here. 

Got a scare last night. I was watching TV and was distracted/annoyed that a light was flashing to my left. I initially thought that my neighbor was using a flashlight, and the light was coming through the living room window. It was occurring regularly. I walked out of Bessie's door on the opposite side of my neighbor, and I continued to see the light flashes in my left eye. Uh oh. I've had floaters in my eyes before, and the occasional flash that I chalked up to stray cosmic rays smacking my retina or optic nerve, but this flash was more than just a random thing. It was occurring several times a minute. PWoke up this morning and the flashes were still occurring. They're more noticeable in the dark than in daylight. I also have a sense of pressure in my left eye that isn't painful, but is noticeable. After getting back to the RV park and waking up from a nice nap, the flashes were back. Now, I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, but this has me spooked. If the flashes are still around tomorrow I'm going to head to an immediate care facility for a CT scan. My paranoia has me thinking that there's something pressing on my optic nerve. Probably aged related changes to the eye, but can't be casual about it. 

Defintely get it checked out.  Take care

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Another enjoyable morning. Thick marine layer on the early morning drive to the course, but luckily the course was fog free. Cypress Ridge today, a parkland layout on rolling terrain that routes through a housing development. The homes were set back far enough and there were enough trees to block most of them, so it didn't feel overly intrusive. Pretty looking course with plenty of native areas to lose balls. Water in play on just one hole, though. Not much left/right movement. The driveable par 4 16th was a dogleg, but there was a clear line of sight from the tee to the elevated green. Bunkering was decent. 

Moderately difficult off the tee. There wasn't a lot of danger out there, but the combination of mature trees and fairly narrow fairways gave one pause. Not a lot of room off the fairways, so minor misses could bring trouble. Big misses would generally be lost in the junk or OB, but a few holes on the front had adjacent fairways if one got lucky. Approaches were also moderately tough with decent greenside bunkering and a few elevated greens. That said, there were a few holes with practically no trouble near the greens. Greens had very little contouring, but they did have some slope. Not nearly as severe as Morro Bay, though. Putting was fairly straightforward. Plenty of uneven lies around the greens, so up and downs were trickier than average. 

Par 3s were OK. Good mix of lengths. The short uphill 13th was tough with solid bunkering. Three of the four par 5s were benign. The 9th was a very good risk reward with the green tucked left behind a pond. A good drive could be a green light special, but short or left was a no-no. They really should flip the 9s, as it would make a much better finishing hole than the current 18th. Short 4s were mixed. The three on the front were meh. The pair on the back were much better. The 16th was driveable, but could be much better with the addition of bunkering near the green. 

Conditions were good. Fairways weren't perfect, but better than average. Rough was thick and cut to a good height. Bunkers had just enough wet sand to be playable. Greens looked fine, but were slow. Probably 9. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6240 yds (70.3/126). They had an official combo, but I felt it was too short at 6140 yds, so I moved back to the Blues on a handful of holes. Driver didn't do me any favors today. The low left miss was back. Irons were OK, but too many long approaches. Couldn't putt on the sluggish greens. Seven bogies and a double. Highlight of the day was simply having the course to myself after playing through two groups early in the round. 

Going with 5 cows here. Nice looking parkland course, especially for one tucked in a housing development. Could use another risk/reward par 5, and some bunkering on the short par 4 16th. The $60 senior walking rate was fine. Drinking water on the course would have been nice. Can't say it's a must play, but it's worth a visit. 

Originally the 9th hole was the 18th. The two nines were flipped a couple of years ago. Not sure why. 

Here's hoping your vision troubles aren't serious.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

You may want to be checked for a detached retina, if for no other reason than to rule it out. Your symptoms would warrant it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

You may want to be checked for a detached retina, if for no other reason than to rule it out. Your symptoms would warrant it.

I had the exact same thing a few years ago in my left eye that seemed to get worse if I looked to my left.

Called the eye doctor and their only real concern was a possible detached retina.

Once that checked out OK they said the flashes were pretty common in "older" folks and would probably go away in a couple of days and they did.

While I was there they informed me that I had cataracts so I ended up getting that taken care of over the course of the next year.

The flashes have never returned and I don't miss them.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Posted (edited)

I'll stop at the Urgent Care center after my round. Hopefully they can determine if it's a detached retina. Otherwise I'll be spending the day looking for an eye doctor. The white streaks are still there, but not as frequent there's no pain, but there is some pressure behind the eye. 

Standing on the 10th tee waiting to head out on the back nine at Monarch Dunes. They have a strict policy that doesn't allow play on the back until 9:15 am. I was the first one out earlier, so I'm forced to wait 20 minutes. First world problems. Lol. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Haha 1