Arg's Travel Log

17 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

They've had those stakes there on 12 forever.  Methinks your young friend just wanted to ignore them.  🙂

And regarding the coach playing at Cypress, well... I am a high school golf coach.  I want to know who that team is.  I sure as hell have no chance of making that happen for my guys.  In any case, strong chance the host for this - or the club - required an adult to go with them.  

That’s probably the case, but he should have walked along, and let the kid play.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

That’s probably the case, but he should have walked along, and let the kid play.

I feel very confident he would have if they allowed such.

They are very very very strict about guests at Cypress Point.... what one can and can't do, where one can and can't go, etc.  I know for sure they do not allow walking spectators on guest days.  So... I am very willing to give this coach the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The coach could always caddie, no? Lol. 

Oh my gosh absolutely no way... the largest way they keep  their caddies employed is by giving them loops on guest days.  And they always double bag.  No way they let an outsider do this.

Of course... if they were able to get 8 guests on... maybe this was outside the normal rules... so who knows.  I just refuse to believe any coach would play instead of one of his players.

• Like 2

Just now, Mullenboy said:

I feel very confident he would have if they allowed such.

They are very very very strict about guests at Cypress Point.... what one can and can't do, where one can and can't go, etc.  I know for sure they do not allow walking spectators on guest days.  So... I am very willing to give this coach the benefit of the doubt. 

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't a one time thing. He mentioned that he'd get to play there next year as a sophomore, so it sounds like it's an annual thing. Motivation for the freshmen to make the team the following year.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just now, Argonne69 said:

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't a one time thing. He mentioned that he'd get to play there next year as a sophomore, so it sounds like it's an annual thing. Motivation for the freshmen to make the team the following year.

Sure... they likely do it annually.  That's not completely abnormal.  I did it way way way back when I was in high school.  The fact it's annual does not change the rules while they are there.

• Like 1

Looks like my string of good weather will come to an end for tomorrow's round at Del Monte. Forecast calls for a 73% chance of rain for most of the morning. Hopefully it's light. Wind will be 10+ mph. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

14 hours ago, caniac6 said:

If I was that kid, I’d be looking for a different school. A coach should never take an opportunity away from one of his players.

Nah. The opportunity is still there, just not for the freshman, and sounds like he gets it and took it in stride. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Looks like my string of good weather will come to an end for tomorrow's round at Del Monte. Forecast calls for a 73% chance of rain for most of the morning. Hopefully it's light. Wind will be 10+ mph. 

Bummer.  But Del Monte is not a large miss.  It's an OK course - very old fashioned - fun to some extent if you think of it that way.  But it, like most others in the area, is very overpriced.  You won't hate playing it... but I doubt you will love it.  And no way is it worth playing in the rain.

• Like 1

Well, that wasn't the most enjoyable round I've played. At least it was quick, as I was the first one out. Thought I might get lucky with the rain, as the radar showed scattered cells. Played a few holes in a very light rain, and then it stopped. Saw a little sun and a rainbow, and thought I was in the clear. Lol. Not a chance. Started raining again on the 12th hole, and by the 17th the wind had picked up and the rain was coming down heavy and sideways. Oh well. 

Del Monte today. Their claim is that they're the oldest continously operating 18 hole course west of the Mississippi, having opened in 1897. Honestly, not much of a course, even if you like old school layouts. Other than a small ridge at the 8th teebox, the parkland layout is dead flat. Fairway bunkering is light. The church pew bunkers on the 10th were a nice touch. Greenside was a tad better. A handful of gentle sweepers don't really help to break up the monotony. No water in play. 

Very easy off the tee with the light bunkering. Minor misses would catch the generous rough. Big misses were more trouble as they have large areas were they've allowed weeds or native grasses to grow. I assume that cuts down on water usage. Plenty of crummy lies in these areas. Approaches were moderately difficult due to the small greens. A handful were moderate sized, but most were quite small. Unlike Pebble Beach, they were very soft and receptive. Greens were about as boring as you could imagine. Little contouring and gentle slope. Putting was only made tough because the putting surface was slow and bumpy after a recent aeration. Up and downs were straightforward, although I did have a couple of iffy lies in the rough. 

Par 3s were tough, but rather boring. Three of the four were long with the 12th playing at a mid iron. Par 5s were even more boring. Nothing reachable and little trouble. Ditto the five short 4s. The 10th was halfway decent with the church pews. 

Conditions were on the soft side due to the rain. Fairways were aerated, but weren't an issue as I was playing preferred lies in the rain. Rough was thick and cut to a good height. Bunkers were excellent with plenty of groomed sand. Greens were soft and bumpy. Speed was decent at 10. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6210 yds (71.0/129). Iffy day ballstriking in the rain. Greens didn't make saving par an easier. Nine bogies. Highlight of the day was getting out of the rain. Lol. 

Don't want to be mean, but this one gets 3 cows. Monterey Pines got 4, and this one pales in comparison. Don't mind a good 'ol school layout, but this one nearly put me to sleep. Needs tons of changes to make it interesting. The $130 weekday walking rate is a ripoff. $50 to $70 would be more like it. Skip this one and play Monterey Pines next door. 

• Like 2

Del Monte GC, Monterey, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/7levoitxs61zjei4jobrm/AM5OCQeNAU1aTOCNohNO8LU?rlkey=71ufwbs2a3bggnrmvsu50iu5h&dl=0

• Like 1

Crummy weather today aside, I've had a great time in Monterey. Glad I saved Del Monte for today. Overall I couldn't be happier with the weather, and of course the courses. Monday's round at Pebble Beach was one of the best days on a course. 

Sitting here listening to the rain, and doing a load of laundry. Not sure if I'll head out later for a drink. Plenty of good stuff in the refrigerator. 

Packing up tomorrow and heading to Gilroy near San Martin. I have rounds booked at Coyote Creek (Tournament) on Saturday, and Cinnibar Hills on Monday. Unfortunately CC is mandatory cart. Not sure about CH. Sunday looks like a rainy day, but I'll make a decision on golf on Saturday. 

Saturday should be okay for you weather wise, slight chance of rain but mostly cloudy in Morgan Hill. The tournament course is on both sides of highway 101 and one side is slightly in the mountains. I like the tournament course but we’ll have to wait for your opinion. The practice area is really nice and you hit off the grass.

Sunday is supposed to be mostly cloudy and Monday is supposed to be sunny and in the upper 60’s to low 70’s.

I text my friend who’s a member at Cinnabar Hills and he said that carts are required and cart path only.

• Like 1

Told ya so re Del Monte.  🙂

And now you head quite close to my home.  I go to each of those courses all the time.  I was at Cinnabar Hills on Tuesday.

CC Tournament is mandatory cart because it would be insane to walk... there is a huge jaunt under the 101 freeway from hole 1 to 2... and then back again from 8 to 9.   It's a pretty good course.. has a lot of what you see to like.  5 cows would not surprise me.

Cinnabar Hills has 3 nines.  They are all pretty much equal... Lake is the most fair, Mountain is the easiest, Canyon is tricky and very quirky.  They don't tell you which 9s you'll play until you get there.  As for walking, it can be done but... there are a lot of hills... way too many holes that go down from the tee and up to the fairway... so walking is quite a chore.  My advice would be just take a cart.  They aerated three days ago.  Greens will be iffy when you get there.

Both of these are too expensive.  But that's CA.

I play these fairly often and could perhaps meet you at either.  My offer to host you at the 9 hole private I belong to also still stands.  Just let me know.  Seems like you prefer to be a lone wolf, and that is fine.  But if's a week off from school next week so no baseball (I umpire) or HS golf (I coach) so I have nothing to do.  If interested let me know when you're at each of these and maybe I can join you.

As for Sunday (and any other days)... tee times around here are a royal pain in the a**... so good luck! 

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

Saturday should be okay for you weather wise, slight chance of rain but mostly cloudy in Morgan Hill. The tournament course is on both sides of highway 101 and one side is slightly in the mountains. I like the tournament course but we’ll have to wait for your opinion. The practice area is really nice and you hit off the grass.

Sunday is supposed to be mostly cloudy and Monday is supposed to be sunny and in the upper 60’s to low 70’s.

I text my friend who’s a member at Cinnabar Hills and he said that carts are required and cart path only.

Carts are most definitely not required at Cinnabar... I go there all the time and the kids always walk.  I've also walked it myself several times.

And only in rainy times is it carts on path.

So it may well be that for Arg when he gets there.  If that's the case he should walk even despite the painful hills... carts on path would mean he ends up walking more.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Carts are most definitely not required at Cinnabar... I go there all the time and the kids always walk.  I've also walked it myself several times.

And only in rainy times is it carts on path.

So it may well be that for Arg when he gets there.  If that's the case he should walk even despite the painful hills... carts on path would mean he ends up walking more.

My friend said that the cart is included in the fees. 
one thing that he mentioned is that they’re aerating right now and so the green fees should be reduced. 

Edited by aloha b.

7 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

My friend said that the cart is included in the fees. 
one thing that he mentioned is that they’re aerating right now.

Cart is indeed included with the fees.  But that is not the same as carts mandatory.  And I also did mention in my message to Arg that they aerated Monday.  We were there Tuesday and it wasn't awful.  But it is the full-hole aeration and that tends to get worse before it gets better.  Bottom line is Arg should go in expecting poor greens.

I sincerely doubt they decrease the prices btw... but it might be worth his asking.

• Like 1

How is Eagle Ridge in Gilroy? Better option than Coyote Creek Valley? Might play one on Sunday if the weather allows.

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

How is Eagle Ridge in Gilroy? Better option than Coyote Creek Valley? Might play one on Sunday if the weather allows.

Eagle Ridge, to put it nicely, relatively sucks.  At one time close to when it opened it was a pretty good course... always has been stupidly hard but back then had great conditions and good prices.  Now neither of the latter exist.  It's a mudpit with dirt bunkers and like the others is overpriced.  It used to be beautiful.. now is surrounded by McMansions. 

I would not recommend it.

A better option might be Gilroy GC.  It's 9 holes only but there are two sets of tees and two holes have two different greens so it plays decently as an 18.  It's low frills, mom and pop, conditions are what one would expect for that description.  But all this being said, the price is right, the people are very nice and it's always been good fun for me.

Do not get tempted to try Gavilan GC... the people there try hard and mean well but it is barely golf.

There are other options if you are willing to drive a little farther... each of Pajaro Valley and Spring Hills are not that far from Gilroy... and each have their charms... more so than Coyote Creek and REALLY more so than Eagle Ridge.

It's typically fairly easy to get an early tee time at Pajaro....

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Eagle Ridge, to put it nicely, relatively sucks.  At one time close to when it opened it was a pretty good course... always has been stupidly hard but back then had great conditions and good prices.  Now neither of the latter exist.  It's a mudpit with dirt bunkers and like the others is overpriced.  It used to be beautiful.. now is surrounded by McMansions. 

A better option might be Gilroy GC.  It's 9 holes only but there are two sets of tees and two holes have two different greens so it plays decently as an 18.  It's low frills, mom and pop, conditions are what one would expect for that description.  But all this being said, the price is right, the people are very nice and it's always been good fun for me.

Do not get tempted to try Gavilan GC... the people there try hard and mean well but it is barely golf.

There are other options if you are willing to drive a little farther... each of Pajaro Valley and Spring Hills are not that far from Gilroy... and each have their charms... more so than Coyote Creek and REALLY more so than Eagle Ridge.

Have you played Pajaro recently? I spoke with a local at Bayonet the other day and he said conditions at Pajaro were awful. 

Having never played P.G. I'm happy Arg and Mullenboy are in agreement, I have played everywhere in the Monterey area and never heard anything positive from people in the know, thank you for confirming past knowledge!

Curious how old the coach is, he does volunteer his time to help the kids, I think he should be able to play ahead of the kid! The 15 year old has plenty of years to get a shot at Cypress!

Just now, aloha b. said:

How about Pasatiempo since all 18 holes are open until April 21 when they close the back 9 for renovations?

I played it back in 2017. When is the back supposed to reopen? I'll be back in the area in the late fall.

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Del Monte GC, Monterey, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/7levoitxs61zjei4jobrm/AM5OCQeNAU1aTOCNohNO8LU?rlkey=71ufwbs2a3bggnrmvsu50iu5h&dl=0

The course gave you a rainbow! That's got to be a good for at least 3.5 cows. Or maybe you already took that into account.

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

34 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm the golf nut in my family. My younger brother is the ski nut. I played Pebble Beach this week, and he's in Banff. I'll be there in August. Hoping for a little less precipitation. Lol. 

spacer.png

Golfing is basically my life. Met my wife through golf, spent our honeymoon in Scotland playing golf, married at our club at the time in Chicago... But man, skiing and being in the mountains come close. What a picture he took, I don't get jealous seeing golf pictures, but this one got me lol...  I've got to get the hell out of Missouri 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Eagle Ridge has sand in the bunkers. Renovation was completed a couple years ago. Eliminating several bunkers. And shallowing out others. Drainage is still an issue on a few holes. And a few bare spots. The new superintendent is trying to fix a couple decades of neglect by the previous head greenskeepers. Neglected sprinkler and drainage systems, etc. The only thing I liked about the old superintendent was that he kept the greens firm and fast. Also, if you’re over 60, there is a senior rate during the week. So not out line with with other green fees around here.

I played Pajaro twice a week for probably 10 years before I shifted over to San Juan Oaks (set to reopen in May, supposedly). In the winter it can get the look of a cow pasture. But I haven’t played there in several years. If you want a really quirky and relatively cheap course in the Watsonville area, try Spring Hills.

Arg, I remember you saying that you found traffic noise to be bothersome. If that’s true, I would suggest not playing both courses at Coyote. Just the Tournament course. 101 has 8000-9000 cars an hour. And it bisects Coyote. Then again, with that much continuous sound, kind of forget about it after a while. Finally, if you decide to play Coyote on a weekday, and have an early tee time, traffic is brutal from Gilroy. Starting around 6:00 am.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm the golf nut in my family. My younger brother is the ski nut. I played Pebble Beach this week, and he's in Banff. I'll be there in August. Hoping for a little less precipitation. Lol. 

spacer.png

I combined the two. When I took the train to Banff in the winter I was on the golf course adjacent to the Banff Springs Hotel... but I cross country skied on it. 

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

spacer.png

I’ve been to both. Canadian Rockies in the winter, and Monterey Bay. The views are hard to beat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tad950 said:

Eagle Ridge has sand in the bunkers. Renovation was completed a couple years ago. Eliminating several bunkers. And shallowing out others. Drainage is still an issue on a few holes. And a few bare spots. The new superintendent is trying to fix a couple decades of neglect by the previous head greenskeepers. Neglected sprinkler and drainage systems, etc. The only thing I liked about the old superintendent was that he kept the greens firm and fast. Also, if you’re over 60, there is a senior rate during the week. So not out line with with other green fees around here.

I played Pajaro twice a week for probably 10 years before I shifted over to San Juan Oaks (set to reopen in May, supposedly). In the winter it can get the look of a cow pasture. But I haven’t played there in several years. If you want a really quirky and relatively cheap course in the Watsonville area, try Spring Hills.

Arg, I remember you saying that you found traffic noise to be bothersome. If that’s true, I would suggest not playing both courses at Coyote. Just the Tournament course. 101 has 8000-9000 cars an hour. And it bisects Coyote. Then again, with that much continuous sound, kind of forget about it after a while. Finally, if you decide to play Coyote on a weekday, and have an early tee time, traffic is brutal from Gilroy. Starting around 6:00 am.

I was just at Eagle Ridge two weeks ago.  To call what they have in the bunkers sand is generous... it was hard packed dirt two weeks ago.  Perhaps with no rain it could be decent.  But it poured in the area yesterday.  Drainage there is AWFUL throughout the course - not just a few places.  I just can't imagine that course will be very playable for Arg in the next few days.  I guess we shall need to agree or disagree about the course.  🙂

Pajaro... I have played many times over many years but I haven't been there in a few months.  Conditions were fine when I was there.  If they have deteriorated  that's a shame because the greens there in particular have always been very good.  It also is a very interesting course where one can usually get an early time at a good price.  I have played it in the winter many times and never saw a cow pasture look.   Interesting the different impressions we have!  That's all good.  I also listed Spring Hills as a possibility for him but though I do love the place, if conditions at Pajaro are considered a cow pasture... Spring Hills would be for goats... being universally worse year round.

Coyote... funny I never notice the traffic noise.  Maybe I am just used to it.  🙂  In any case GREAT call about the traffic coming from Gilroy to there (and to Cinnabar or anywhere north) in the morning... that is the main commute route and will be BRUTAL every day, sometimes including weekends.

Pasatiempo has been suggested many times but it's $345, with only the front 9 renovated.  Maybe best to play it now because I was told it's going up to $450 after they finish the back 9 renovation!  In any case it remains a great course but I do not think it's worth $345.  More importantly, Arg has not indicated a willingness to drive farther from Gilroy then say Cinnabar Hills.  if he is willing to go a little further there are other possibilities, including Pasatiempo.

• Like 1