2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Pasatiempo is so underrated when it is being argued that $345 is too much for it. The amount of courses that are in the price range or more that have a 10th of the layout and design quality is insane.

I'll die on this hill, Pasatiempo is a top 10 public golf course. 

(just realized that isn't as hot of a take I thought, GD has it 15)

39 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Pasatiempo is so underrated when it is being argued that $345 is too much for it. The amount of courses that are in the price range or more that have a 10th of the layout and design quality is insane.

I guess in a world where too many other courses charge this much or close to it, Pasatiempo's price can be understood.  I have just played it many many times over many many years, and for several beginning years paid $25.  So how it is now just kills me.  I also tend to say the blasphemy of the more one plays Pasatiempo, the more the warts come out.  One sees that the layout is cramped and presents a very tough walk, and the design quality is overrated.  Told you it was blasphemy.  🙂

I shall not die on the same hill as you.  🙂

But to each his own!

In any case, it seems to be moot as Arg has played it before and has indicated he doesn't want to drive that far.

Edited by Mullenboy

53 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Pasatiempo could be a great golf course.  Restore 1-9, 6-7-8 properly and we can have that conversation.  Until then it's a shell of what MacKenzie designed.

Edited by StoutKing

4 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

Pasatiempo could be a great golf course.  Restore 1-9, 6-7-8 properly and we can have that conversation.  Until then it's a shell of what MacKenzie designed.

They may have done some or all of that... front 9 was "restored" last year.  Depends on what you mean by "properly" I suppose.  Given I am a cheapass I have not yet played the restored front 9.  I have seen a lot of pictures and heard from many who have and it is very neat.  It's sure not what MacKenzie originally designed though... 1 and 9 alone are very different... necessarily so given the presence of the driving range.

Going to take a pass on Pasa at this time. I'd like to play it after the renovation is complete. I'll certainly be back in the area in the future. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Going to take a pass on Pasa at this time. I'd like to play it after the renovation is complete. I'll certainly be back in the area in the future. 

As I thought, and as you said before... thus I had not suggested it.

What are the exact plans for the next few days?  Not sure if you are there in Gilroy yet but it poured rain the 2nd half of yesterday in south San Jose.  Very cold also.  Looking ahead you should have decent weather though.  Note also pretty much every course has punched greens within the last week or so.

Edited by Mullenboy

1 hour ago, Mullenboy said:

As I thought, and as you said before... thus I had not suggested it.

What are the exact plans for the next few days?  Not sure if you are there in Gilroy yet but it poured rain the 2nd half of yesterday in south San Jose.  Very cold also.  Looking ahead you should have decent weather though.  Note also pretty much every course has punched greens within the last week or so.

Getting ready to leave Monterey. I'll be in Gilroy in an hour. Coyote Creek Tournament tomorrow, and Cinnibar Hills on Monday. If the weather on Sunday looks decent I'll likely book a round at Pajaro or Spring Hills. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

They may have done some or all of that... front 9 was "restored" last year.  Depends on what you mean by "properly" I suppose.  Given I am a cheapass I have not yet played the restored front 9.  I have seen a lot of pictures and heard from many who have and it is very neat.  It's sure not what MacKenzie originally designed though... 1 and 9 alone are very different... necessarily so given the presence of the driving range.

It will probably never happen but I mean return 1-9 to a shared fairway with no trees in between.  Restore #1's fairway left where the range is now.  Take all the trees out at 6-7-8 and restore the shared 6-7 fairway.  A guy can dream...

Posted (edited)

Short drive north northeast to Gilroy. Pretty boring except for the 20 mph cross winds and the rough pavement on US-101 N. Thought it would be in better condition for a US highway. 

Middle of the road RV park. Spaces are tight, but at least I'm on a concrete slab. Got lucky with the setup. Just sat down to type this and the rain started pouring outside. Hate setting up camp in the rain. 

spacer.png

Yeah, tomorrow looks chilly. Overnight low will be in the mid 30s, and it'll only be in the high 30s when I tee off. It's shaping up to be an unpleasant round. Mandatory cart and cart path only? Hopefully someone with some common sense will let me walk, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Going to pay a few bills, take a short nap, and run into town for a drink. Promised Land Brewing Company looks interesting. 

Edited by Argonne69

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Getting ready to leave Monterey. I'll be in Gilroy in an hour. Coyote Creek Tournament tomorrow, and Cinnibar Hills on Monday. If the weather on Sunday looks decent I'll likely book a round at Pajaro or Spring Hills. 

Sounds good.  Plan for a LOT of traffic going to Cinnabar on Monday.  What's your tee time?  My club is closed.. you might have an internet follower join you.  Sunday weather looks fine.  II'm sure planning on playing that day.

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Short drive north northeast to Gilroy. Pretty boring except for the 20 mph cross winds and the rough pavement on US-101 N. Thought it would be in better condition for a US highway. 

Middle of the road RV park. Spaces are tight, but at least I'm on a concrete slab. Got lucky with the setup. Just sat down to type this and the rain started pouring outside. Hate setting up camp in the rain. 

spacer.png

Yeah, tomorrow looks chilly. Overnight low will be in the mid 30s, and it'll only be in the high 30s when I tee off. It's shaping up to be an unpleasant round. Mandatory cart and cart path only? Hopefully someone with some common sense will let me walk, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Going to pay a few bills, take a short nap, and run into town for a drink. Promised Land Brewing Company looks interesting. 

You are either a golf nut or a very brave man to willingly play Coyote Creek Tournament in that cold tomorrow.  It gets quite windy there also.  We are in a very odd cold snap these days... it was 70+ and shorts earlier this week.  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tad950 said:

Hey Arg, bundle up tomorrow for Coyote. 38 degrees at 7:00am here in South County. And it’s supposed to be colder tomorrow. But it warmed up nicely into the low 50’s when I finished my round at 10:05. Cart path only. 1.13 inches for this rain event. 

IMG_5243.jpeg

Eagle Ridge!  Those are two good holes... and it looks a hell of a lot better conditions-wise since I was there 3 weeks ago.  Maybe Arg should give that a go.  I think that if conditions are equal it's a better course than Coyote Creek Tournament... issue for me has been horrid conditions.  It's also painfully hard, but Arg tends to like that.  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StoutKing said:

It will probably never happen but I mean return 1-9 to a shared fairway with no trees in between.  Restore #1's fairway left where the range is now.  Take all the trees out at 6-7-8 and restore the shared 6-7 fairway.  A guy can dream...

That dream only comes true if the world gets rid of litigation.  🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm the golf nut in my family. My younger brother is the ski nut. I played Pebble Beach this week, and he's in Banff. I'll be there in August. Hoping for a little less precipitation. Lol. 

I have lived next to world-class ski resorts for 30+ years, but still haven't tried it.  Golf is my fun.  I mean, what if I break an arm or leg?  I won't be able to golf for a while. 😂 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Sounds good.  Plan for a LOT of traffic going to Cinnabar on Monday.  What's your tee time?  My club is closed.. you might have an internet follower join you.  Sunday weather looks fine.  II'm sure planning on playing that day.

I have a 7:30 am tee time on Monday at Cinnibar. Looks like it's 23 miles from the RV park. Current travel time is 26 minutes. Probably leave at 6:50 am. 

28 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

You are either a golf nut or a very brave man to willingly play Coyote Creek Tournament in that cold tomorrow.  It gets quite windy there also.  We are in a very odd cold snap these days... it was 70+ and shorts earlier this week.  Good luck!

Lol. It'll be mostly sunny with light winds, so temps in the low 40s are acceptable. Still hoping the pro let's me walk. Absolutely despise mandatory carts with cart path only restrictions. 

• Like 1

Promised Land Brewing Company in Gilroy. Small brewery with a dozen taps. Not much, but they do have a nice Moonlight Lady Imperial Pastry Stout. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I have a 7:30 am tee time on Monday at Cinnibar. Looks like it's 23 miles from the RV park. Current travel time is 26 minutes. Probably leave at 6:50 am. 

Avoid 101 if you possibly can.. that will be brutal Monday morning.  Enjoy!  Maybe I get a wild idea and go over there,  It would help to know your real name.  Send IM if you don't want that on here.

13 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. It'll be mostly sunny with light winds, so temps in the low 40s are acceptable. Still hoping the pro let's me walk. Absolutely despise mandatory carts with cart path only restrictions. 

Please trust me - it would be borderline insane to willingly walk that course.  Put it on google earth.., measure the distance from 1 green to 2 tee... and then back from 8 green to 9 tee.  It would be very foolish to willingly walk that.  I suppose if you can handle that,  the rest of the course is not bad... though there are a few other stupidly long jaunts from green to tee besides these.... in any case those two hikes on their own make it prohibitive.  Maybe it won't be cart path only???

23 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Please trust me - it would be borderline insane to willingly walk that course.  Put it on google earth.., measure the distance from 1 green to 2 tee... and then back from 8 green to 9 tee.  It would be very foolish to willingly walk that.  I suppose if you can handle that,  the rest of the course is not bad... though there are a few other stupidly long jaunts from green to tee besides these.... in any case those two hikes on their own make it prohibitive.  Maybe it won't be cart path only???

I've looked at the satellite images. Pussycat. I've walked 9 mile courses, and a layout in Yuma that had 1 mile between the two sections of the course. Still managed 3:20. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Booked Eagle Ridge for early Sunday morning. Looks like the rain will arrive later in the day. Doesn't seem to be a lot of quality options, so I may as well stay close to the RV park. Shockingly the course allows walking. Lol. My kind of course. 

Edited by Argonne69

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

spacer.png

Ugh CP only is bad, CP only with mandatory cart is the worst! Walkers would leave em in the dust!

Edited by ode
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomRUtah said:

I have lived next to world-class ski resorts for 30+ years, but still haven't tried it.  Golf is my fun.  I mean, what if I break an arm or leg?  I won't be able to golf for a while. 😂 

Several years ago I was about to play Pebble Beach with a couple of buddies from my high school and college teams.  But first I was in Park City, Utah for some skiing.  I remember being very dainty and careful not to break anything to cause me to miss Pebble.  My girlfriend at the time even mentioned it.  She said she'd never seen me ski with such caution.

• Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Well that's more like it. Been struggling to find some decent Q, but I stumbled across a halfway decent smokehouse. Barbecue 152 in Gilroy. Brisket was tender and fatty. Pork ribs were tender, but not falling off the bone. Hot link was very tasty. The sides were both very good. The white cheddar mac and cheese was creamy. The beans had a bit of a kick. The two sauces were quite good. I preferred the sweet sauce, but the spicy sauce wasn't bad, even though it had a little too much kick for my tastes. Definitely worth a visit, but be prepared for sticker shock. I remember fondly the days when a full rack of pork ribs with 2 sides was under $20. Now they're $39 for meat only. Ouch. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Looks really good and glad that you found a decent Q restaurant. Out in my area there's an award winning Q restaurant and in the past they've even been invited to different states to enter big Q. contests.

Too bad you couldn't play a round at Cordevalle Golf Resort in San Martin. The problem is that you have to stay overnight to get access to the golf course and it's not cheap.

• Like 1