2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

1 minute ago, aloha b. said:

Didn’t it open in 2000?

No clue. That's why I asked. Spent a couple years in Sunnyvale starting in 2002 supporting Lockheed on the ABL program. Played ER during that time period. It was very penal and not all that fun to play. At that time, if you could hit a 230 yard laser with a long iron, the course would be playable. Otherwise it was hit and hope.

9 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

No clue. That's why I asked. Spent a couple years in Sunnyvale starting in 2002 supporting Lockheed on the ABL program. Played ER during that time period. It was very penal and not all that fun to play. At that time, if you could hit a 230 yard laser with a long iron, the course would be playable. Otherwise it was hit and hope.

That's right on.. that's how it was.  It's still quite tough but.. a lot more doable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A real up and down day. Almost decided to take the day off. Woke up with my right knee throbbing. It hasn't been right since I hyperextended it last summer in Wyoming. Decided it was going to be too nice a day to sit around, so off to the course. Like yesterday, it was a wee bit chilly in the early going. Another 39 degree morning, but the sun felt great. Unfortunately I got a lot of it today. Know why rounds take 5+ hours? Because courses let the lead group play in 4:40. Very unpleasant round waiting on every shot. Stood on the teebox for 5 minutes on many holes. We were the 4th group out, and the two groups ahead of us had to deal with the slowpokes as well. Most of the holes on the back nine I'd walk on to the teebox and the group ahead were still waiting to hit. We got to know the group behind us as well. Lol. Not a ranger in sight. 

Anyway, on to the golf. Eagle Ridge today. Very enjoyable parkland course, albeit it could use without the housing. Actually, it wasn't half bad with many of the homes tucked behind the trees. Must have been a real looker before they were built. Very nice elevation changes with plenty of elevated tees and greens, and more than a few uneven lies. Still easy to walk, though, especially when one is waiting on every shot anyway. I counted water on 7 holes, but I might have missed a couple. A few ponds, but most red and yellow staked areas were dry gulches or small creeks. Only 4 holes with gentle left/right movement. Fairway bunkering was light, but effective. Probably for the best, as the course is tough enough. Greenside was decent, but you could see a few grass bunkers where sand used to be. 

Fairly tough off the tee with plenty of trees, sloped fairways, and a couple of forced carries. Minor misses would catch the nasty thick rough, but good luck finding the ball in spots. Big misses were goners, either in the heavy native areas, or in a backyard. Approaches were also tough with well guarded greens and many hit from uneven lies. Greens had plenty of contouring and slope. Not quite as tricky as Coyote Creek Tournament, but certainly not pushovers. Putting required concentration for sure. Up and downs were tough due to the tricky greens, and the nasty rough. A few steep uphill lies added to the fun. 

Par 3s were decent. Nice mix of lengths from the short 6th (gap wedge) to the long 13th (FW). Par 5s were disappointing. The gentle dogleg 7th and 17th could be reached in two with a solid drive over the corner, but little risk near the greens. The long 14th was tough with the added bonus of large trees pinching the fairway. Too far left or right off the tee and they'd block your 2nd. The two short 4s were mixed. The 1st was meh. The 15th with its elevated tee could possibly be driven, but a pond in front and a shallow green provided a ton of risk. 

Conditions were playable, but far from perfect. Several holes were cart path only for the riders. Fairways were shaggy with a few too many bare spots and weeds. The 9th hole had two traps for wild bores, so it looks like they were responsible for some of the damage on the 8th and 9th holes. Rough was very inconsistent in height. Cabbage in a lot of areas and plenty more weeds. Bunkers were excellent, other than a handful of rocks. I saw standing water in one, but otherwise it was plenty of fresh sand. Only gripe was that there were a few too many unraked footprints. You know, most of us complain about crummy bunkers, and when a course actually improves them some clowns decide that they're too good to pick up a rake. Greens were very good. I was told that they're aerating tomorrow, so they were quite firm. Speed was 10 I'd say. 

Played the White tees at 6264 yds (71.1/130). Horrid day. One of the worst in recent weeks. Combination of cold temps, soft fairways, a bum knee, and frustration from waiting, I couldn't get off the tee early in the round. Barely made it to the fairway on a handful of holes. Got a little better late, and the putter warmed up, but the damage was done. Two birdies, eight bogies, and two doubles. There were a few highlights, though. Best shot of the day was my 3rd on the long par 5 14th, a 9 wood to 15' to set up my first birdie. Hit a nice drive, but it got hung up in the right rough. Gouged out a hybrid over the right trees that luckily kicked out of the right rough and on to a sidehill lie in the fairway. 

On the par 3 16th with a back right pin I hit an ugly low draw that slammed into the front slope in front of the PA, and instead of kicking left into the ravine like I expected, somehow kicked right and managed to make it up the embankment and on to the green. Making the 18' birdie putt was the cherry on top. 

The final highlight was my two playing partners from South Korea. Solid players both, they're here for a week golfing before heading back home on Tuesday. One of the guys had a couple of autographs on the top of his Odyssey two-ball putter. I asked about them, and one of them was my favorite pro, In Gee Chun. Get. Out. I showed him a few photos that I had with In Gee, and he one upped me by showing a couple of pics of him playing golf with her at a corporate event back in Korea. Color me jealous. Lol. 

Going with 5 cows here. Tough layout that could use some TLC in the conditioning department no doubt, but still playable nonetheless. Plenty of challenge without additional bunkering, but a few more wouldn't hurt. Needs a good risk/reward par 5 with trouble near the green. No walking rate, but at least they let you walk. $113 was a bit pricey, but not unreasonable for a weekend round. Can't say it's a must play, but it's worth a visit. Hopefully the conditions are trending upwards. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Eagle Ridge GC, Gilroy, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ofhsw1ffvycf3bhio66ny/AB3bMrn1jhOHSobU9oik6FM?rlkey=do9mfyk01f858ih34lhhd1yww&dl=0

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

WA real up and down day. Almost decided to take the day off. Woke up with my right knee throbbing. It hasn't been right since I hyperextended it last summer in Wyoming. Decided it was going to be too nice a day to sit around, so off to the course. Like yesterday, it was a wee bit chilly in the early going. Another 39 degree morning, but the sun felt great. Unfortunately I got a lot of it today. Know why rounds take 5+ hours? Because courses let the lead group play in 4:40. Very unpleasant round waiting on every shot. Stood on the teebox for 5 minutes on many holes. We were the 4th group out, and the two groups ahead of us had to deal with the slowpokes as well. Most of the holes on the back nine I'd walk on to the teebox and the group ahead were still waiting to hit. We got to know the group behind us as well. Lol. Not a ranger in sight. 

Anyway, on to the golf. Eagle Ridge today. Very enjoyable parkland course, albeit it could use without the housing. Actually, it wasn't half bad with many of the homes tucked behind the trees. Must have been a real looker before they were built. Very nice elevation changes with plenty of elevated tees and greens, and more than a few uneven lies. Still easy to walk, though, especially when one is waiting on every shot anyway. I counted water on 7 holes, but I might have missed a couple. A few ponds, but most red and yellow staked areas were dry gulches or small creeks. Only 4 holes with gentle left/right movement. Fairway bunkering was light, but effective. Probably for the best, as the course is tough enough. Greenside was decent, but you could see a few grass bunkers where sand used to be. 

Fairly tough off the tee with plenty of trees, sloped fairways, and a couple of forced carries. Minor misses would catch the nasty thick rough, but good luck finding the ball in spots. Big misses were goners, either in the heavy native areas, or in a backyard. Approaches were also tough with well guarded greens and many hit from uneven lies. Greens had plenty of contouring and slope. Not quite as tricky as Coyote Creek Tournament, but certainly not pushovers. Putting required concentration for sure. Up and downs were tough due to the tricky greens, and the nasty rough. A few steep uphill lies added to the fun. 

Par 3s were decent. Nice mix of lengths from the short 6th (gap wedge) to the long 13th (FW). Par 5s were disappointing. The gentle dogleg 7th and 17th could be reached in two with a solid drive over the corner, but little risk near the greens. The long 14th was tough with the added bonus of large trees pinching the fairway. Too far left or right off the tee and they'd block your 2nd. The two short 4s were mixed. The 1st was meh. The 15th with its elevated tee could possibly be driven, but a pond in front and a shallow green provided a ton of risk. 

Conditions were playable, but far from perfect. Several holes were cart path only for the riders. Fairways were shaggy with a few too many bare spots and weeds. The 9th hole had two traps for wild bores, so it looks like they were responsible for some of the damage on the 8th and 9th holes. Rough was very inconsistent in height. Cabbage in a lot of areas and plenty more weeds. Bunkers were excellent, other than a handful of rocks. I saw standing water in one, but otherwise it was plenty of fresh sand. Only gripe was that there were a few too many unraked footprints. You know, most of us complain about crummy bunkers, and when a course actually improves them some clowns decide that they're too good to pick up a rake. Greens were very good. I was told that they're aerating tomorrow, so they were quite firm. Speed was 10 I'd say. 

Played the White tees at 6264 yds (71.1/130). Horrid day. One of the worst in recent weeks. Combination of cold temps, soft fairways, a bum knee, and frustration from waiting, I couldn't get off the tee early in the round. Barely made it to the fairway on a handful of holes. Got a little better late, and the putter warmed up, but the damage was done. Two birdies, eight bogies, and two doubles. There were a few highlights, though. Best shot of the day was my 3rd on the long par 5 14th, a 9 wood to 15' to set up my first birdie. Hit a nice drive, but it got hung up in the right rough. Gouged out a hybrid over the right trees that luckily kicked out of the right rough and on to a sidehill lie in the fairway. 

On the par 3 16th with a back right pin I hit an ugly low draw that slammed into the front slope in front of the PA, and instead of kicking left into the ravine like I expected, somehow kicked right and managed to make it up the embankment and on to the green. Making the 18' birdie putt was the cherry on top. 

The final highlight was my two playing partners from South Korea. Solid players both, they're here for a week golfing before heading back home on Tuesday. One of the guys had a couple of autographs on the top of his Odyssey two-ball putter. I asked about them, and one of them was my favorite pro, In Gee Chun. Get. Out. I showed him a few photos that I had with In Gee, and he one upped me by showing a couple of pics of him playing golf with her at a corporate event back in Korea. Color me jealous. Lol. 

Going with 5 cows here. Tough layout that could use some TLC in the conditioning department no doubt, but still playable nonetheless. Plenty of challenge without additional bunkering, but a few more wouldn't hurt. Needs a good risk/reward par 5 with trouble near the green. No walking rate, but at least they let you walk. $113 was a bit pricey, but not unreasonable for a weekend round. Can't say it's a must play, but it's worth a visit. Hopefully the conditions are trending upwards. 

Sorry to hear about your throbbing right knee, I hope that it gets better.

Really good review as always! You should write a book on golf courses in your spare time 😋.

Who would have thought that one of your playing partners golfed with In Gee your fav pro.

Have fun tomorrow at Cinnabar, the weather is supposed to be warmer.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

At a casual pace I move at 3 mph, or 20 minutes a mile. When I step on it I can cover the mile in 15 minutes. A 440 yds par 4 is roughly 4 minutes. 

When I played Black Jack's Crossing I was told the course was 9 miles. They must have been consuming some seriously good magic mushrooms. A 7800 yds course is only 4.5 miles. To reach 9 miles there would have to be a 450 yd gap between every single hole. Sorry, but there's not an additional 17 par 4s wedged into the layout. 

I've walked over 500 courses in the past 29 months. Pretty tuned into the distances involved. The vast, vast majority of course staffers seriously overestimate the length of their courses. I think part of the problem is that they measure the distances on the cart paths. Sorry, but I don't meander on the cart paths. My bag is set down near the edge of the green nearest the next teebox, and most of the time I'm making a straight walk to the next tee. 

When this is all wrapped up I feel like you should run in the Chicago Marathon. You’ve been unknowingly training for years now, plus throwing some resistance in there with the push cart. Have to wear the hat for sure! 😂

Safe travels and all the best!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another fine review - agreed.  Yes indeed Eagle Ridge was beautiful before the houses were there.  Bummer you waited on every shot, but that is very normal for any public course around here on a Sunday morning.   As for the weather, too bad you're leaving... look at the forecast for this week.  🙂

Strange to me that Eagle Ridge gets 5 cows where Monterey Pines gets 4 but... I've come to understand you like courses that are long and tough.   That's cool.  But man give me 10 rounds between these two and it's 8 at the course in Monterey.  🙂

You'll enjoy Cinnabar for sure.  Should be a lot less crowded.  There are plenty of fairway bunkers.  Interesting greens.  And each 9 can be quite challenging.  The kids always walk.  It's painful -so many times you trek down from a tee and back up to a fairway, it gets monotonous and tiring - but it won't faze you and although the cart is part of the fee, they sure let those who want to walk to so.  They punched a week ago... the high school kids did whine on Thursday.  But they're not that bad.  Have fun!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Anyway, on to the golf. Eagle Ridge today. Very enjoyable parkland course, albeit it could use without the housing. Actually, it wasn't half bad with many of the homes tucked behind the trees. Must have been a real looker before they were built. 

As I recall the course was built after development started. We went to look at the model homes. And I don’t remember going to the clubhouse to check it out. Something I definitely would have done. I don’t remember ever playing Eagle Ridge when there wasn’t a house under construction or completed somewhere.  I think it was just ranch land before development started, And there used to be plenty of that down here, so I never considered that area particularly scenic 😄. But it certainly looked better than all those houses. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tad950 said:

As I recall the course was built after development started. We went to look at the model homes. And I don’t remember going to the clubhouse to check it out. Something I definitely would have done. I don’t remember ever playing Eagle Ridge when there wasn’t a house under construction or completed somewhere.  I think it was just ranch land before development started, And there used to be plenty of that down here, so I never considered that area particularly scenic 😄. But it certainly looked better than all those houses. 

The course before the houses existed was just so prettily set against the hills... yeah it wasn't Cypress Point or anything but it was beautiful compared to our normal fare of San Jose Muni and Sunnyvale.  🙂

As I said before, picture the whole course looking like 8 and 9 do now.  It was cool.

That is now all gone.  It's not awful or anything.  And for a first-timer like Arg, it's likely not noticeable at all.  Just an old-timer like me longs for days gone by.  🙂

No houses at Cinnabar.  It's pretty out there.  I go there twice a week these days.  I'm guessing 5 cows with a possibility of 6. Might depend on which 9s he gets and how he feels about hitting over trees.  But Arg sometimes fools me.  

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on traffic this morning. Left early and there was an accident on US-101, so I wound up taking a scenic alternate route. 

Beautiful course. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

No sweat re traffic warning (I was one of several).  That section of 101 north is just about the worst traffic we have around here.

You're on the toughest hole on that Mountain 9... number 3.  Stay left - aim at bunker or just right of it.  🙂

Oh boy I could have given you a lot of tips.

4 and 5 are very fun holes.  6 is blah.  7-8-9 are pretty cool.  What will be your second 9?  If Canyon... prepare for a quirky thrill ride and some very severe hills.  If Lake... more standard.

Oh and it is a beautiful course indeed... that's kinda what Eagle Ridge looked like before the houses.  It's also rather amazing that that course is 15 minutes from the hustle and bustle that is San Jose.  We are lucky to have it.

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

No sweat re traffic warning (I was one of several).  That section of 101 north is just about the worst traffic we have around here.

You're on the toughest hole on that Mountain 9... number 3.  Stay left - aim at bunker or just right of it.  🙂

Oh boy I could have given you a lot of tips.

4 and 5 are very fun holes.  6 is blah.  7-8-9 are pretty cool.  What will be your second 9?  If Canyon... prepare for a quirky thrill ride and some very severe hills.  If Lake... more standard.

Oh and it is a beautiful course indeed... that's kinda what Eagle Ridge looked like before the houses.  It's also rather amazing that that course is 15 minutes from the hustle and bustle that is San Jose.  We are lucky to have it.

Yeah playing Canyon next. 

Just now, Argonne69 said:

Yeah playing Canyon next. 

Canyon is the quirkiest of the three by far.  I'll say little more.... just... try to keep a sense of humor.  It is a tough walk for mortals.  But you are not mortal.  🙂 BTW you could do far worse than staying for lunch and eating there at Cinnabar... that restaurant is really good... if it is open for lunch when you finish, it's worth a thought.  No BBQ to impress you nor special craft beers, but good stuff otherwise.

• Haha 1

I'm waiting to hear what Argonne says about Canyon #2.  Regarding the scenic route on the way, I'm hoping it was either Monterey HWY or Santa Teresa as opposed to going by Chesbro Reservoir and then on McKean.  If it was the latter, you may have heard banjos.   Hehe.  I kid!  I kid!

• Haha 1

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

6 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

I'm waiting to hear what Argonne says about Canyon #2.  Regarding the scenic route on the way, I'm hoping it was either Monterey HWY or Santa Teresa as opposed to going by Chesbro Reservoir and then on McKean.  If it was the latter, you may have heard banjos.   Hehe.  I kid!  I kid!

I'm waiting to hear what he says about Canyon #4!   🙂

Good call re the scenic routes.  😉 

2 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Canyon is the quirkiest of the three by far.  I'll say little more.... just... try to keep a sense of humor.  It is a tough walk for mortals.  But you are not mortal.  🙂 BTW you could do far worse than staying for lunch and eating there at Cinnabar... that restaurant is really good... if it is open for lunch when you finish, it's worth a thought.  No BBQ to impress you nor special craft beers, but good stuff otherwise.

Agree, the food is very good at Cinnabar! A couple of pics eating outside. 

If you want Q, Trail Dust BBQ in Morgan Hill is good and they also have craft beers.

If you want to save money and like tacos, Jack In The Box has two tacos 🌮 for .99 and I always get 4. I’ve been eating them since I was young!

20220705_122340.jpg

20220705_122323.jpg

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, imkirby34 said:

No, it wasn't Santa Teresa. Pretty sure it was Watsonville Rd to G8 (McKean) passing by the Uvas Reservoir. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aloha b. said:

Agree, the food is very good at Cinnabar! A couple of pics eating outside. 

If you want Q, Trail Dust BBQ in Morgan Hill is good and they also have craft beers.

If you want to save money and like tacos, Jack In The Box has two tacos 🌮 for .99 and I always get 4. I’ve been eating them since I was young!

20220705_122340.jpg

20220705_122323.jpg

Jack in the Box was in Chicago for a while. Loved the deep fried Super Tacos. Years ago on a golf trip to the west coast I brought back a handful on the plane for my brother. Lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

The course before the houses existed was just so prettily set against the hills... yeah it wasn't Cypress Point or anything but it was beautiful compared to our normal fare of San Jose Muni and Sunnyvale.  🙂

As I said before, picture the whole course looking like 8 and 9 do now.  It was cool.

That is now all gone.  It's not awful or anything.  And for a first-timer like Arg, it's likely not noticeable at all.  Just an old-timer like me longs for days gone by.  🙂

No houses at Cinnabar.  It's pretty out there.  I go there twice a week these days.  I'm guessing 5 cows with a possibility of 6. Might depend on which 9s he gets and how he feels about hitting over trees.  But Arg sometimes fools me.  

I thought about it after I posted and you’re absolutely right. The course was first. Because I grew up around here, really didn’t think about the scenery. To me it was the same thing I’ve been looking at since I was a kid. And I didn’t think it was important enough to correct myself. 

Edited by tad950
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Jack in the Box was in Chicago for a while. Loved the deep fried Super Tacos. Years ago on a golf trip to the west coast I brought back a handful on the plane for my brother. Lol. 

Don’t know why they discontinued the super tacos, I heard that they have an angry monster taco but I’m not sure. Did your brother like them?

Looking forward to your review of Cinnabar.

Posted (edited)

Same ol, same ol with the weather. Chilly start but plenty of sun. Wonderful morning. Gem of a course, welcoming playing partners, a nice workout walking the hills, and a sub 4 hour pace. Cinnabar Hills is truly a gem. As noted, I played the Mountain/Canyon nines. Lakes is the other nine. Mountain reminded me of lot of La Purisima with the rolling terrain with few trees. Always a sucker for elevated tees. Don't recall any water on the nine, but there were a few forced carries over staked junk that could have been wet at the bottom, e.g. #9. Other than the 9th, fairway bunkering was light, but greenside was pretty good. Canyon was a totally different animal. The tight, parkland nine still had plenty of elevation change, finishing with a sweet risk/reward dogleg par 5 with fantastic views of the valley below. Quirky describes it fairly well. Water on six of the nine holes, although it really wasn't in play on a couple unless you were severely offline. Fairway bunkering was also light, but the trees provided plenty of trouble. Only two holes with left/right movement. 

Overall I'd say it's tough off the tee primarily due to the forced carries. Even the short ones got in your head. Mountain #9 had a 220 yd carry from the Cinnibar (Maroon) tees, albeit from an elevated tee. Mountain #4 had a forced carry over an OB fence! Minor misses wound have to be quite minor to catch the rough, but while playable, the rough was very thick. Big misses were goners. On the Mountain side it was thick native areas, and Canyon had the trees. Definitely not a course for wild swings. Approaches were a little easier, but definitely no pushovers. Greenside bunkering was solid, and a number of greens were either shallow or long and narrow. Greens had a good amount of contouring and slope. Putting was anything but easy. Up and downs were also tricky with the addition of thick rough and plenty of uneven lies. 

Par 3s were very good. Plenty of trouble and a good mix of lengths ranging from a pitching wedge to a fairway wood. Par 5s were also very good. Mountain #1 was rather boring. Reachable, but little risk. The dogleg 7th was a good reachable risk/reward hole. Take on the inside corner and it could be reached in two. Canyon #6 had a very tough 2nd over a marsh to a narrow strip of fairway. Might be reachable for a long hitter. The dogleg Canyon #9 was a solid risk/reward hole from its elevated tee. Bite off the inside corner with heavy bunkering and a PA (creek?) and it could be reached in two. Short 4s were solid with plenty of trouble. Canyon #4 was fun with a tree staring you in the face sitting in the middle of the fairway. Canyon #2 was tough with a pond coming into play off the tee, and on the approach (left). 

Other than the greens, conditions were very good. Fairways were lush. Rough was thick, but cut to a good height. Bunkers were fine. Unfortunately the greens were punched last week, and putts spent a good chunk of time in the air. Canyon was heavily sanded. They did discount the round, though. 

Played the Cinnabar (Maroon) tees at 6202 yds (70.4/136). Thankfully I had a reasonable day off the tee, or it would have been a train wreck. Irons were spotty, but wedge play kept it together. One birdie and seven bogies. Highlight of the day was simply being out walking on such a picturesque course. Hit some quality shots, and a few meh ones, but the course itself was the high point. 

Easy 7 cows here. A real gem starting with the general topology. Rolling terrain and not a house in sight. Lol. Very tough, but fair if you keep it in play. As noted, wild players need not apply. I'd like to see a few more bunkers, and maybe a couple more ponds, but those are minor. The discounted $79 weekday walking rate was a steal. If I was a local I'd be teeing it up here every week. Definitely a must play. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Cinnabar Hills GC, San Jose, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mountain #4. Intimidating. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mountain #9. Bunkers? What bunkers? 

spacer.png

Canyon #2 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/i54y465j0gt31uxygn2dl/APBriykabTCNA_Mg2f_R5cg?rlkey=ka5ucc4777zz5fn80mm96y9k0&dl=0

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Same ol, same ol with the weather. Chilly start but plenty of sun. Wonderful morning. Gem of a course, welcoming playing partners, a nice workout walking the hills, and a sub 4 hour pace. Cinnibar Hills is truly a gem. As noted, I played the Mountain/Canyon nines. Lakes is the other nine. Mountain reminded me of lot of La Purisima with the rolling terrain with few trees. Always a sucker for elevated tees. Don't recall any water on the nine, but there were a few forced carries over staked junk that could have been wet at the bottom, e.g. #9. Other than the 9th, fairway bunkering was light, but greenside was pretty good. Canyon was a totally different animal. The tight, parkland nine still had plenty of elevation change, finishing with a sweet risk/reward dogleg par 5 with fantastic views of the valley below. Quirky describes it fairly well. Water on six of the nine holes, although it really wasn't in play on a couple unless you were severely offline. Fairway bunkering was also light, but the trees provided plenty of trouble. Only two holes with left/right movement. 

Overall I'd say it's tough off the tee primarily due to the forced carries. Even the short ones got in your head. Mountain #9 had a 220 yd carry from the Cinnibar (Maroon) tees, albeit from an elevated tee. Mountain #4 had a forced carry over an OB fence! Minor misses wound have to be quite minor to catch the rough, but while playable, the rough was very thick. Big misses were goners. On the Mountain side it was thick native areas, and Canyon had the trees. Definitely not a course for wild swings. Approaches were a little easier, but definitely no pushovers. Greenside bunkering was solid, and a number of greens were either shallow or long and narrow. Greens had a good amount of contouring and slope. Putting was anything but easy. Up and downs were also tricky with the addition of thick rough and plenty of uneven lies. 

Par 3s were very good. Plenty of trouble and a good mix of lengths ranging from a pitching wedge to a fairway wood. Par 5s were also very good. Mountain #1 was rather boring. Reachable, but little risk. The dogleg 7th was a good reachable risk/reward hole. Take on the inside corner and it could be reached in two. Canyon #6 had a very tough 2nd over a marsh to a narrow strip of fairway. Might be reachable for a long hitter. The dogleg Canyon #9 was a solid risk/reward hole from its elevated tee. Bite off the inside corner with heavy bunkering and a PA (creek?) and it could be reached in two. Short 4s were solid with plenty of trouble. Canyon #4 was fun with a tree staring you in the face sitting in the middle of the fairway. Canyon #2 was tough with a pond coming into play off the tee, and on the approach (left). 

Other than the greens, conditions were very good. Fairways were lush. Rough was thick, but cut to a good height. Bunkers were fine. Unfortunately the greens were punched last week, and putts spent a good chunk of time in the air. Canyon was heavily sanded. They did discount the round, though. 

Played the Cinnibar (Maroon) tees at 6202 yds (70.4/136). Thankfully I had a reasonable day off the tee, or it would have been a train wreck. Irons were spotty, but wedge play kept it together. One birdie and seven bogies. Highlight of the day was simply being out walking on such a picturesque course. Hit some quality shots, and a few meh ones, but the course itself was the high point. 

Easy 7 cows here. A real gem starting with the general topology. Rolling terrain and not a house in sight. Lol. Very tough, but fair if you keep it in play. As noted, wild players need not apply. I'd like to see a few more bunkers, and maybe a couple more ponds, but those are minor. The discounted $79 weekday walking rate was a steal. If I was a local I'd be teeing it up here every week. Definitely a must play. 

My friend is a member at Cinnabar and does tee it up a lot. 

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your round!

Another well written review!

Edited by aloha b.
  • Thanks 1

It's Monday, so that means a salad and a sandwich back at Bessie. 😒

I'm a creature of habit, so it was back to The Running Shop and Hops for another pour of the Alpha Acid BBA Constrictor Vanilla Fudge Imp Stout. 

spacer.png

Off to Madera tomorrow. Not a lot of quality golf in the next 10 days, but I'll be in Vegas late next week, and it should be wonderful. 

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed Cinnabar!  It's been one of my home courses since before inception... yeah I used to go out there often to see it as it was being built.  I didn't want to be a homer and predict it, but 7 cows makes sense to me.  It is a gem - all three 9s.  Lake is great also.   A very smart architecture nerd I used to know (may he RIP) used to argue that it is superior to Pasatiempo, and I couldn't disagree.

I am a local and for a long time I DID play it pretty much weekly - they have great annual membership deals and outside of that one could nearly always get some sort of special.  Now I have joined a private club so I don't go there often.  It's been a joy to get reacquainted with it this spring as the team I coach plays it weekly.

Enjoy the trip east and south.  It's been very fun following you through the places I know.  I'll leave you alone now. 🙂

That being said.. I have played Madera.  And many courses in Vegas.  🙂

• Like 1