touch

2 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

R. Mcllroy

X. Schauffele

M. Fitzpatrick

Old guy younger than me   Adam Scott

4/ S. Lowry    5/ J. Spieth

old_course_1920_standrews_aerial.webp

When I played there the first time I birdied 18 with about 3 dozen people lining the back and watching from the road.

I almost reached the green then hit a putt from off the green that held its line well along the back finally coming to a stop a mere foot or so away for the tap in.

I got a really cool cheer and clap from the onlookers!

image.png.9eefed42b0924385f05ad0ff913c6e05.png

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 3

Why Is It Called Claret Jug?' - Major Details About the Open Championship  Trophy - EssentiallySports

Picks 

BSC          Lowry                Rory                    Zalatoris                      elder player     Paul Casey 

LP             Xander              Fitzpatrick          Fleetwood                   elder player     Justin Rose 

Chef         Xander              JT                        Spieth                          elder player     Tiger

CH            Xander              Rory                    Spieth                          elder player     Zac Johnson

TI              Rory                  Fitzpatrick          Hideki                           elder player     Adam Scott

NCL          Homa               Sungjae Im          Kisner                           elder player     Paddy

doc           Xander             Rory                   Cam Smith                     elder player     Justin Rose

P48          Li                       Wise                   Leishman                       elder player     Tiger

Q              Xander              Rory                   Fitzpatrick                      elder player    Adam Scott                   

*bonus pick this week is another Old Guys Rule selection, a player 40 years old or older. 

MAJOR Points are as follows:

Winner    ----------  20 points

Top 5      ----------    10 points

Top 10     -------- -    6 points

Top 20   ----------     4 points

Made cut ---------     2 point

Missed cut ------      -6 minus three points 

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

When I played there the first time I birdied 18 with about 3 dozen people lining the back and watching from the road.

I almost reached the green then hit a put from off the green that held its line well along the back finally coming to a stop a mere foot or so away for the tap in.

Neat story and way to deliver a fine long putt that brought thrills to your fans! 😀  I bet you didn't expect to be playing in front of crowd on you final hole that day. Now I need to ask what was you index the different times you played St. Andrews and what were your final scores. Possibly another tale or two on your experiences there?  

How's the knee recovery coming along Mr. Phoenix?  Are you cracking your drives 285 once again? 

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I almost reached the green then hit a putt from off the green that held its line well along the back finally coming to a stop a mere foot or so away for the tap in.

The day I had set aside to play was just ridiculous conditions wise. And wanted it to be a memory, not a serious task. I did play the course on the right of #1 which is more protected. Not alot of people out that day. Not sure of today but back then on Sundays course was closed and you could walk, bring picnic etc. Didn't want to walk it since I was playing it. Wasn't aware a whole day tornado/rain was showing up. And never got back there unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Anyone else play St. Andrews and has a story? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, touch said:

Anyone else play St. Andrews and has a story? 

I haven’t had the privilege but my good friend Alan, whom got me to The Masters this year, him and his father made the trip in 2012 with another friend of ours. They played The Olde Course, Kingsbarn, and Carnoustie. He said the first day they played St. Andrews. There was a wedding party there taking photos outside. They all stopped and watched his foursome tee off. 3 of them piped their drives while Alan topped his off the first tee about 25 yards. He said it was an amazing trip. 

#17 Road Hole

DE6D6FAC-4838-4ACA-8E78-A359503EE034.jpeg.1f653317e7421122a1b8aa9693e9709d.jpeg

The famous The Jigger Inn

E0D02A2B-CF6E-4534-A3EE-8D68A0B0D177.jpeg.22633cb93eec2b2c45f7b8eedf0c878d.jpeg

View from #17 tee box

AD08BE1C-AA77-40EA-8485-9AA122E3A691.jpeg.83eb9311882b337344a219e464989cc4.jpeg

Pot Bunker

DCA893F0-2CC3-4550-AE03-1A7F2C7F8E12.jpeg.caed6b4695dbfb8849bc1bb3f9089544.jpeg

Swilcan Bridge

11771922-986C-4061-BD88-98460EAEECB0.jpeg.cde2da333c1d349602f67f5f55870b65.jpeg

The Biddys & Bogens

F34EA4FC-4DBC-4C7A-8B76-32578ED01536.jpeg

Edited by CHuntsman
  • Like 3

When Parker is across the pond he enjoys seeking out one of the few remaining independent butcher shops that are still in existence in the UK. 

Looks like you'll be eating tasty stuff this week Mr. Schauffle.

GO XANDER GO !  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏌️‍♂️

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

I suggested to the group that this week we play a course that we hadn't been to since last fall. I like Cummings Cove a good bit. It is a tight track that has many narrow tree lined holes, and there is also a good amount of elevation change. It is difficult course but it is fair. The greens are only semi slopped and not tricked up. We were happy to find great course conditions, Wahoo !  It was thankfully a much cooler day for golf compared to what has been the norm here in the mountains. The area south of Asheville that Cummings Cove is located in had recently seen a good bit afternoon showers day after day so it was cart path only. 

Partly cloudy with a temp of 74* with a breeze. 

At high noon on Tuesday Stan, Dr. Steve, Bill, and the blonde one sent our drives down the skinny first fairway. 

I started out playing rather steady but I couldn't get any birdie putts to fall. I missed 4 birdie putts from inside 8 feet. UGH. I had two single bogey's and the rest pars on the front. I made the turn 2 over. I started the back 9 with a par on a #10 a 175 yard par 3 over water and then on the next hole I pulled my tee shot OB and doubled #11. On #12 I ripped a driver straight down the middle then hit a 6 iron in to a foot and snagged my only birdie for the round. Always great to follow up a double with a bird.  Later on in the back 9 I tugged another tee shot into the trees and made my second double bogey. If I hadn't had the two disaster holes I would have shot a pretty decent score.

My numbers

9 fairways

12 greens

One birdie

Two penalty strokes resulting in two doubles

35 putts with two three whacks involved

I shot 79.

Our group just loved our afternoon at Cummings Cove so much that we have decided to play it the next few consecutive Mondays. Enjoy the photos of yet another beautiful golf course that can be found here in the mountains of Asheville, NC.  

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

@touch Why didn't we go there?

Because the conditions at Cummings Cove can be very hit or miss. I remember when we didn't play it for months on end because we found it too often in rough condition.  Back when you came they were doing some course repairs on a few holes due to some erosion issues and it was not it good shape. The very hilly design of the track leads to some easy damage when a heavy rainy spell hits those steep hills.  

If it is in decent shape at that time I will be sure to add Cummimngs Cove into our rotation should you decided to come to Asheville again and tee it up with me. 😉

Edited by touch

Why Is It Called Claret Jug?' - Major Details About the Open Championship  Trophy - EssentiallySports

Picks 

BSC          Lowry                Rory                    Zalatoris                      elder player     Paul Casey 

LP             Xander              Fitzpatrick          Fleetwood                   elder player     Justin Rose 

Chef         Xander              JT                        Spieth                          elder player     Tiger

CH            Xander              Rory                    Spieth                          elder player     Zac Johnson

TI              Rory                  Fitzpatrick          Hideki                           elder player     Adam Scott

NCL          Homa               Sungjae Im          Kisner                           elder player     Paddy

doc           Xander             Rory                   Cam Smith                     elder player     Justin Rose

P48          Li                       Wise                   Leishman                       elder player     Tiger

Q              Xander              Rory                   Fitzpatrick                      elder player    Adam Scott        

43 minutes ago, doctoro said:

Justin Rose is officially out of the Open. 
if I could switch to Casey I will since he’s not teed off yet 

If not that’s fine also 

That is fine doc and thanks for the heads up because I have Rosie as well. I will go find a replacement. 

Edited by touch

2 minutes ago, touch said:

That is fine doc and thanks for the heads up because I have Rosie as well. I will go find a replacement now as well. 

I'll take Tiger. 

Edited by touch

Picks 

* has been adjusted for the WD of Justin Rose in the old guy picks category for doc and LP 

LP             Xander              Fitzpatrick          Fleetwood                   elder player     Tiger 

doc           Xander             Rory                   Cam Smith                     elder player     Paul Casey 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🔥

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, touch said:

That is fine doc and thanks for the heads up because I have Rosie as well. I will go find a replacement. 

So am at work early this morning and have important golfers steadily arriving and give the thread a quick peek. I see doc's announcement that Justin Rose WD'd.

WHAT ??  Crap why did he ?, how could he? , Rosie wanted badly to tee it up in this one I just knew it. I also think because of his better play of late was a lock to win the older golfer bonus at St. Andrews. 😉  So I set a mental 10 minute stopwatch and went about my important tasks on the job. I come back to make my hasty replacement pick.  First I want Louie and look him up a find that he is only 39. Crap!   Next I want Paul Casey, wait doc just took him as his replacement, got to be diff.  I then think back to how I admired NCL's  pick of Paddy H.  I don't close the deal in my mind with the Irishman and instead take the popular choice of El Tigre' . Well after round one I can tell you that my chance of winning the elder golfer 5 point bonus is ZILCH! 😢

Thanks Rosie

Thanks Big Cat 

UGH  I'm sick about it all.   😄

One Second Vomit GIF - One Second Vomit Throw Up - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, touch said:

So am at work early this morning and have important golfers steadily arriving and give the thread a quick peek. I see doc's announcement that Justin Rose WD'd.

WHAT ??  Crap why did he ?, how could he? , Rosie wanted badly to tee it up in this one I just knew it. I also think because of his better play of late was a lock to win the older golfer bonus at St. Andrews. 😉  So I set a mental 10 minute stopwatch and go about my important tasks on the job. I come back to make my hasty replacement pick.  First I want Louie and look him up a find that he is only 39. Crap!   Next I want Paul Casey, wait doc just took him as his replacement, got to be diff.  I then think back to how I admired NCL's pick of Paddy H.  I don't close the deal in my mind with the Irishman and instead take the popular choice of El Tigre' . Well after round one I can tell you that my chance of winning the elder golfer 5 point bonus is ZILCH! 😢

Thanks Rosie

Thanks Big Cat 

UGH  I'm sick about it all.   😄

One Second Vomit GIF - One Second Vomit Throw Up - Discover & Share GIFs

Big Cat will tally tomorrow 

19 minutes ago, doctoro said:

Big Cat will tally tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watching this tournament is like no other golf experience. Number 18 at St Andrews is a surreal experience for these players.

'And now the stage belongs to Tiger Woods"

Even after a missed easy rare birdie you can feel the emotion of the moment.

That is something that the legend of Tiger Woods and the history of St Andrews can not be replicated anywhere else.  Golf moves forward while not forgetting it's past.

• Like 3

The Open Championship Picks 

My results after two at St. Andrews 

Fitzpatrick  -6           T12

Xander        -5           T18

Fleetwood  -3           T36

And one never had a chance tiger for my old golfer selection. 

I may not be able to pick the winner this week but at least I avoided any very costly -6 's 

So as this final major of the season concludes on Sunday my MC record in majors was a total for the year of two.

2 MC's for -12 points. I'll take it. 💥 🙂

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

STANDINGS SECOND NINE

PTS     W23   W24   W25   W26     MC1/-3     MC1/-6       TMC         M        TP

TI          59        30         5           1          5           2/-6             1/-6           3/-12       34       59

CH        57        11           0          16        3         10/-30        7/-42        17/-72      3         127

CHEF   50       34          9          -3       10         4/-12            0/0           4/-12       29       50

DOC     46       13          -1          4         9          12/-36        4/-24        16/-60     11        114

LP         46        14          2           -1       14         10/-30        2/-12        12/-42     42       193

P48      34        13         -9          8         6          15/-45        4/-24       19/-69     29        82

NCL      19         6           1             1          8         15/-45        4/-24        19/-69     32       105    

Q            17        10         1           -4        -5         16/-48        2/-12        18/-60     60       121

3 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

All four of my guys made the cut !!!!!!!!!      T3, T12, T23, and OG T8

lets-party-cats.gif.3c61eebc0a58b7472777a7dbbab532e8.gif

Firework-Display_b.jpg

Congrats Q on ending your skid. 🥂

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was very good day. I learned that Jamal won the Am division of the Asheville Skyview tournament and my coworker (assistant pro at BFCC) and great golf buddy Noah Ratner won the pro division for the 3rd time in his career. Noah shot 19 under for three rounds. 🔥

Way to go boys !

Hutch is a mighty proud poppa this weekend. ❤️

https://www.skyviewgolfasheville.com/leaderboard2021

Untitled (4).jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

Max missed the cut by a stroke and my other 2 (Im, Kisner) got in on the number.  My elderly pick of Paddy Harrington looked great yesterday (69, nice) but struggled today (78).  No bonus pts for me.

Fantastic tourney so far and for those with Direct TV the bonus channels have been excellent.  Looking forward to the week-end viewing!!  

Couch Potato Reaction GIF by CBS

• Like 2