Mizuno JPX 921 Forged vs Mizuno Pro 225

ME27

Anybody have any comparisons between these two? Feel, forgiveness, head size, etc? Going to demo these in a few days but want to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

I actually just had a fitting last Thursday with Mizuno. I played the 921 Forged all last year. I had to switch up my shaft last year to get the clubs 4 months after my order date. The place I bought them offered a refit to ensure I got what I wanted. Which was great customer service.

I went in thinking I was going to use the same head just get fit into a new shaft. Well I was wrong! I immediately noticed the new mizuno pro lineup laying on the fitting table. 
the long and short of it I tried numerous shafts and head combos. I ended up with the ProjectX LZ 6.0 in the Mizuno Pro 223. They were an absolute not out. Gained about 7 yards with the 223. And they felt great. I also tried the rest of the set.

placed the order along with the t22 wedges to match with the denim copper. Excited to say the least 

sorry it’s not your comparison but just put it out there 

Edited by NZ315
  • Like 1

Google search 'mizuno iron comparison chart' and you can look at various measurements for all of their current offering.  225 and 921 have almost identical measurements (head length, offset, sole width), with the main difference being topline thickness, where the 225 is slimmer.

I game the 921 F but have not hit the 225, so I can't offer a comparison.

I haven't hit them to compare, but here's the chart from Mizuno's site. Purplish line is the 225, red is 921 Forged. Fractionally smaller overall head in the 225s for the most part.

Screenshot_20220117-205621.png

• Like 1

2016 Taylormade M2 - 10.5°

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro Blue 70g

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW w/ TT DG X100 Tour Issue

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

12 hours ago, EagleThr33 said:

I haven't hit them to compare, but here's the chart from Mizuno's site. Purplish line is the 225, red is 921 Forged. Fractionally smaller overall head in the 225s for the most part.

Screenshot_20220117-205621.png

The I did hit the 225 they are very easy to hit. But for me too long. I was not getting the numbers I wanted out of the club. I was about 15yards longer then the 921f.

but again they felt really good. Tuff choice you got to hit them for yourself. It is worth a drive and time for a fitting. Believe That

3 hours ago, NZ315 said:

The I did hit the 225 they are very easy to hit. But for me too long. I was not getting the numbers I wanted out of the club. I was about 15yards longer then the 921f.

but again they felt really good. Tuff choice you got to hit them for yourself. It is worth a drive and time for a fitting. Believe That

Yea I have the fitting set up I was just looking for some opinions on them before I went in . Thanks for the replies. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

If I remember correctly the 225 is a hollow bodied iron that will be more close in comparison to the P790. There may be similar to the 921F in size but are built in a different way, which you may or may not care about.

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

I posted this pic on the other thread.  921 forged on the left, 225 on right.  I only got to compare the 7 irons but the 225 looked better and felt better.  I don't have launch monitor data to compare numbers unfortunately.  The 921s are very consistent for me and I know what I can get out of each club.  Love the 225 look and feel but after many years with the 900 forged and now the 921s I feel dialed in and am afraid to change sets right now.  

Screenshot_20220113-153724_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

JPX 921F is in a different class than Mizuno Pro 225. As stated above, Mizuno Pro 225 are moreso in the P790 and T200 class. JPX 921F would be more comparable to 223. Basically, 223 is a smaller compact version of the JPX 921F with some added tech. For 225 comparison though, 225 feels softer, a bit more forgiving, and longer distance. I’ve copied and pasted my response and analysis of 223 vs. JPX 921F from another thread below:

“I’ve hit and played with the whole set of 921F but only hit the 223 7-iron in a hitting bay several times at a few shops around here, so take my opinion for what it’s worth 

The 223 feels definitely softer than 921F, but not by a big margin. 921F still feels really nice and soft as well. It’s expected and not surprising the 223s would feel softer with the copper underlay. I imagine once you get to the 8-GW, the gap in feels on the 223 vs. 921F will be even moreso present since the build in the 223 short irons are the same as the 221 blades to include the absence of microslot insert. Again, the 223 is a smaller and shorter version of the JPX921 with a bit of more tech and weaker lofts especially moreso as you get to the 8-GW. But in the 7-iron comparison I was hitting the 223 longer than the 921F for some reason and thinking IMO they drastically weaken the lofts in the short irons because of the tech and thinner face (not confirmed, just my guess). What’s also interesting (in terms of what the 921F and 223 have in common), the gaps are separated by 5 degrees in the 8-GW. This may also be due to the tech in the heads.

As for toe shots and forgiveness between the 921F and 223, there wasn’t anything noticeable to differentiate between the two. For me personally, I tend to hit less toe shots on shorter blade lengths since it forces me to concentrate more on my shot whereas I can get a bit ‘lazy’ in the longer blade lengths.”

• Like 1

19 HDCP here. I currently play the 921F and tested the 225 and 223. I hit all 3 models with the same shaft. 86 MPH club head speed. The 921F were flying further for me and just felt hotter off the face.

921F 170 Carry

225 165 Carry

223 160 Carry

I had a few 921F fly close to 180 most mostly in the 168-172 range. 

The grouping with the 225 was the best out of the 3 with miss hits and good shots being within 5 yard. 

223 I had miss hits flying 20 yards shorter. 

• Like 1

Got to hit the 225 again today and it is a gorgeous club, a hair smaller than my standard apex 2016 iron in my combo set and a bit bigger than the pro clubs.  Really hides its medium size well as it looks the same size as my Apex pro irons at address. Really gorgeous iron for its class.  I would have ordered a set today but unfortunately they have very few (1) sub 95 graphite shafts available, and they only offer it in regular flex.  I have been using high 70 to mid 80 iron shafts for 20 years and am used to that weight, particularly as i have to build my sets about 3/4 inch long (6 foot, long torso, T-rex arms).  The standard test 7 iron club felt 2 flat, and the 2 upright felt about standard to me.  Which is NORMAL FOR ME with Mizunos, the Mizuno Pro IIs with fujikura speeder shafts that I played for a decade were 1/2 long and 4 upright and they were perfect for me where most golf manufacturers I need 2 to 2.5 upright. Spectacular clubs that I will own someday, even if I have to buy a used set when the price comes off of the initial wow factor and reshaft. 

OP   With the 2 irons you mentioned I would go 225 all day, similar not identical forgiveness and feel, distance stronger for me in 225,  and looks its 225 allllllll dayyyyyy lonnnnnnnng!  Both great sticks, hope your fitting goes well.

I hit both and ended up with the 921 forged.  225 was as long or even longer but I felt the forged has a better blend of distance and accuracy.  The 223 was pretty good too but was less forgiving. All 3 are great options!  Good luck!

Titleist tsi3 driver Evenflow White 6.0

Titleist ts3 3 wood

Srixon hybrid

Titleist t100s irons with $ taper shafts

Vokey sm8 50-54-58

Evnroll 1.2 putter

Pro V1

34 minutes ago, smvolkma said:

I hit both and ended up with the 921 forged.  225 was as long or even longer but I felt the forged has a better blend of distance and accuracy.  The 223 was pretty good too but was less forgiving. All 3 are great options!  Good luck!

I felt the same with the 225. Then I was down the the 921forged and the 223. For me I was hitting the 223 better. Everyone is different. And all 3 are great options can’t really lose with either one. Mizuno puts out top quality in everything. Not sure if there will ever be another brand of irons in my bag

Everyone seems to hit it on the button above.

I have a 223 and 225, both in 7i, in Recoil 95. I have a blended set where I can go 225 in 5-6i and 223 in 7-PW but ordered a 225 7i just in case the 223 were tougher than I thought.

They both look great but I've been gaming a compact iron, and am more accustomed to the size of the 223. You might check this, but I had the feeling that the 223 went through the turf a bit easier. The 225 is a rocket and the 223 is similar with more spin. The 225 is stronger lofted. I will strengthen the 223 PW by one degree.

So after hitting them a few times, I ordered a 223 in 5 and 6i ... I just like the more compact head.

I did not see that much difference in forgiveness in 225 v 223 but many will discern a bigger difference and prefer the 225. I gamed the 919F previously, then HMB, and then a Honma TW-X and that head is compact - so the 223 fit in well, and it's slightly smaller heel to toe compared to the Honma.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 1/18/2022 at 8:36 PM, reider69 said:

I posted this pic on the other thread.  921 forged on the left, 225 on right.  I only got to compare the 7 irons but the 225 looked better and felt better.  I don't have launch monitor data to compare numbers unfortunately.  The 921s are very consistent for me and I know what I can get out of each club.  Love the 225 look and feel but after many years with the 900 forged and now the 921s I feel dialed in and am afraid to change sets right now.  

Screenshot_20220113-153724_Gallery.jpg

Judging by the ball marks on the JPX, your def not dialed in with them lol, j/k man!

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...

Hello, i started plaing golf with mp14, went through them all, mpp 33( my favorite by far) but almost 20 yrs later went to 919 forged, didnt like 921 sonstayed w 919g, then i saw the new pro line, i palyed all 3 sets,, verdict, and i am 57 now about a 10,, ironically, i hit the pro 221 amazing, straight, long enough to love, smooth soft, nippn modus 105 stiff shafts, keeping my 919f, may blend with pro 225, but those are just too long, cant dial in,, gows to show everyone is different, didnt think i would go back to a blade (ish) iron

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, AK2ID said:

That's great to hear. Trying to decide between these and PXG 311 Gen 5's.......

PXG all day.  Most consistent ball speed retention and carry distance in mishits. I love Mizuno but the PXG is just better performing and the feel in P series I game is outstanding.  

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1