2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How many practice off a mat?

AAL

[quote name='rony' post='893599' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:28 PM']I practice off of mats at the range in the Winter, because here on Long Island, thats all there is. In the Summer, I go to a big football practice field, close to my house and work with the wedges only. Mats are no problem for good ball strikers. You just can't take or observe your divots. But, if your swing mechanics are flawed and you hit fat for example, you will feel it. Also forged irons and mats don't get along. LIE angles get bent, especially once again, if you're hitting fat. With the Driver, because the balls are like rocks, just work on your tempo and form. Pay no attention to yardage. I agree that those rubber tube Tees are NG! However when you can't get on the course due to inclement weather, the "Mats" are better than nothing. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I take your point but I'd rather hit out of a shallow bunker than use a mat (they are the [i][b]bedlinen of Satan[/b][/i]) :wacko::beach:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mats are no problem for good ball strikers. You just can't take or observe your divots.

Nope ... wrong info. Even a GOOD ball striker can't get any feedback from a mat. I know several professionals on a personal basis, and they will each and every one tell you that a mat will screw up a good swing in a heartbeat. ZERO FEEDBACK. Not to mention the pounding that your joints and clubs take ... black%20eye.gif

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I practice off a mat. Nearest grass range is 20 minutes without traffic. I don't buy the statement a mat makes a bad strike look good. The sound/feel is significantly different when you make bad contact. Fluffier mats are better than the cheapo Persian rug variety. I would still practice on grass if I could.

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016317' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:05 AM']I practice off a mat. Nearest grass range is 20 minutes without traffic.[/quote]

20 minutes? Why is that too far to go practice? It's 20 minutes to the grocery in most cases ...

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016317' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:05 AM']I don't buy the statement a mat makes a bad strike look good.[/quote]

I don't know what your experience is and how many 1,000's of balls you have actually hit off of mats, but the cold hard FACTS are that better players absolutely [u]refuse[/u] to hit balls off a mat. The reasons are numerous and valid. Now ... remember that there is a huge difference between just pounding balls and actually [i]practicing[/i]. If you just want to pound balls your mats should do just fine.

I can understand this if the player has no other alternative (like up north in winter) but otherwise it's a poor practice to use them. The arguments against it are overwhelming.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='Hidalgo' post='2016391' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:43 AM'][quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016317' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:05 AM']I practice off a mat. Nearest grass range is 20 minutes without traffic.[/quote]

20 minutes? Why is that too far to go practice? It's 20 minutes to the grocery in most cases ...

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016317' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:05 AM']I don't buy the statement a mat makes a bad strike look good.[/quote]

I don't know what your experience is and how many 1,000's of balls you have actually hit off of mats, but the cold hard FACTS are that better players absolutely [u]refuse[/u] to hit balls off a mat. The reasons are numerous and valid. Now ... remember that there is a huge difference between just pounding balls and actually [i]practicing[/i]. If you just want to pound balls your mats should do just fine.

I can understand this if the player has no other alternative (like up north in winter) but otherwise it's a poor practice to use them. The arguments against it are overwhelming.
[/quote]

Relax Silverback. I guess all of us "mat" guys are just wasting our time. Let us know when the charge of the light brigade in the valley of mats is going to happen.

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016487' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:31 AM']Relax Silverback. I guess all of us "mat" guys are just wasting our time. Let us know when the charge of the light brigade in the valley of mats is going to happen.[/quote]

I'm relaxed plenty Liquorhead. As for wasting your time, that's your personal decision. And FWIW, I was putting info out there for the majority of the membership to read and do with as they see fit ... I don't know why you took it so personally unless you feel that you could possibly be wrong? Regardless, your statement about [i]The sound/feel is significantly different when you make bad contact[/i] is way off point for the vast majority.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='*sigh*' post='1656347' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:09 AM']Real grass is definitely preferable, but some grass ranges aren't very good either. Especially since they are reseeding them so often the ones here are very soft and sandy, when the courses around here aren't like that.[/quote]

That's a great point. A local course, Empire Ranch, in Folsom has pretty bad grass. It's like hitting out of a fairway bunker with clippings tossed in. They have a "special" area for instruction (and employees :( ), but don't dare go there when it's empty.

Mats are just about the only thing going for the next few months.

[b]TIP:[/b] Squirt some water on the mat where you'll be making impact. The club will slide a little better and you won't get the green plastic shavings stuck to your soles.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Hidalgo' post='2016501' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:39 AM'][quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016487' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:31 AM']Relax Silverback. I guess all of us "mat" guys are just wasting our time. Let us know when the charge of the light brigade in the valley of mats is going to happen.[/quote]

I'm relaxed plenty Liquorhead. As for wasting your time, that's your personal decision. And FWIW, I was putting info out there for the majority of the membership to read and do with as they see fit ... I don't know why you took it so personally unless you feel that you could possibly be wrong? Regardless, your statement about [i]The sound/feel is significantly different when you make bad contact[/i] is way off point for the vast majority.
[/quote]

I didn't take it personally. But we're not going to convince each other on the last point above so let's just agree to disagree.

IMO.

The quality of the mat is huge.

Most of the driving range mats are the commercial hard as a rock designed to last forever mats. They will kill you and your golf swing.

I do think there are some quality mats made that aren't too bad. Problem is they are not the ones at your local driving range.

If you're going to practice all winter it makes sense to buy a quality mat and net to put at your home. Downstairs, in the garage, back porch...

[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016521' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:52 AM']I didn't take it personally. But we're not going to convince each other on the last point above so let's just agree to disagree.[/quote]
[quote name='cb_golfer' post='2016487' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:31 AM']Relax Silverback. I guess all of us "mat" guys are just wasting our time. Let us know when the charge of the light brigade in the valley of mats is going to happen.[/quote]

You didn't take it personally? Then why the "name calling"?

We had already disagreed. That wasn't necessary and the smart-a** comment was uncalled for.

But you're right about the rest ... enough discussion I suppose.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BILL12x' post='940397' date='Feb 28 2008, 05:53 AM']I never hit off mats before a round.You can hit an inch behind the ball and the club will slide into the ball and make it feel like a perfect hit. If it's mats or nothing, I'll choose nothing and just take practice swings to warm up.[/quote]

I agree. Far better to practice pitches and chips from grass near the first tee than to lose one's feel for crisp contact by hitting off of mats. I suppose that if one is a sweeper of the ball that mat practice isn't too bad, but if one hits down on the ball aggressively, mats are bad for the swing and bad for the body. Sooner or later wrist and elbow problems will plague most of those divot takers who practice on mats. One might get away with it for 10 or 20 years but sooner or later the body will likely exact it's revenge for the abuse.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

• 1 month later...

[b]Brush-T limited flight golf balls. I just go down to the school behind me and can hit anything from a wedge to a driver. [/b] 70sSan0

[b]Their website is [url="http://www.fiberbuilt.com/"]http://www.fiberbuilt.com/[/url] if you want more detail.[/b] honketyhank

Thx for info. I find std range mats foul up my swing and hurt my lead elbow if I hit a full bucket, even a small one. Then I go on the course and hit it thin. I'm better off just working on pitching and putting and taking my chances w/o hitting balls before the round.

The only thing a hard old range mat is good for is to simulate playing on frozen turf. Both mediums promote a shallow divot ;-)

Guy's...If you all remember Steve Stricker resurrected his game by hitting balls back home in Wisconsin all winter long a few years back and pretty sure it was off mats...not much grass in WI during the winter....worked for him...in Chicago it is all we have and is better than nothing.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

[quote name='tschafehen' post='2149825' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:12 PM']Guy's...If you all remember Steve Stricker resurrected his game by hitting balls back home in Wisconsin all winter long a few years back and pretty sure it was off mats...not much grass in WI during the winter....worked for him...in Chicago it is all we have and is better than nothing.[/quote]

Looks like a mat to me:
[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/2008/03/stricker_wintergame"]http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/2008...cker_wintergame[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Below are two products to reduce stress on joints/elbows/etc... when hitting off range mats. I hate mats, but sometimes that is all you got. Just ordered the cheaper of the two below options myself.

[b][i][size="5"][color="#336633"][/color][/size][/i][/b][url="http://rangerelief.com/"][color="#0066cc"]http://rangerelief.com/[/color][/url][color="#0066cc"][/color]
[color="#0066cc"][/color]

[url="http://www.thegolfmat.net/store/"][color="#0066cc"]http://www.thegolfmat.net/store/[/color][/url]