Williamsburg in April/May

ChuckZ1956

Heading to Williamsburg late April/ early May. Will probably play five, maybe six times. I tentatively put Royal New Kent, Stonehouse and Club at Vinaterra on the definite list (Golden Horseshoe is probably too expensive and Kingsmill seems to be stay-and-play) and was thinking the remaining rounds would be among Brickshire, Kiskiack and Colonial Heritage. Any thoughts on the courses noted or any others I should think about?   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, ChuckZ1956 said:

Heading to Williamsburg late April/ early May. Will probably play five, maybe six times. I tentatively put Royal New Kent, Stonehouse and Club at Vinaterra on the definite list (Golden Horseshoe is probably too expensive and Kingsmill seems to be stay-and-play) and was thinking the remaining rounds would be among Brickshire, Kiskiack and Colonial Heritage. Any thoughts on the courses noted or any others I should think about?   

Just got back last week from my third golf trip down to Williamsburg, first one in September 2020. The must plays are RNK, Vinny, Brickshire and Golden Horseshoe Gold. The rates at the Gold course drop down to $79 at 3PM and if you can snag that time, it is totally worth it. The par 3's there are top notch and if you tee off at 3, you will finish in plenty of time. Played Kiskiack once and wasn't too big of a fan. Also played Colonial only once, it was the morning after a huge rainstorm, so I can't fairly judge it. There are a couple goofy holes and some blind shots, but it wasn't terrible.

Look into the two course at Williamsburg National. The Yorktown course is a really good track and the back 9 has 3 par 3's, 3 par 4's and 3 par 5's. The par 3 15th hole at Yorktown has one heck of a green and depending where the flag is, it changes the entire hole.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer. On our trip last May, we played 9 rounds in 5 days, it's a great golf destination.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. We are booked at Stonehouse ($63), GH- Green (at noon for $59), Royal New Kent ($42 on a GolfNow Hot Deal), Viniterra ($35 on another Hot Deal), Brickshire ($57) and GH-Gold (at noon for $139, rather than waiting for 3:00 rate reduction to $79). If I can get my swing back, should be a great time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, ChuckZ1956 said:

Thanks for the input. We are booked at Stonehouse ($63), GH- Green (at noon for $59), Royal New Kent ($42 on a GolfNow Hot Deal), Viniterra ($35 on another Hot Deal), Brickshire ($57) and GH-Gold (at noon for $139, rather than waiting for 3:00 rate reduction to $79). If I can get my swing back, should be a great time. 

Enjoy, you're going to love it. Hopefully the greens at Stonehouse have fully come back. They redid them two years ago and it took a while for them to come back. Weren't in the best of shape when I was there this time last year. Hopefully you've got a good bunker game, Vinny has a ton of them! $42 for New Kent is an absolute steal! Makes up paying $139 for GH-Gold. The most affordable, best golf courses, you'll ever play

On 5/4/2022 at 11:25 PM, cer5059 said:

Enjoy, you're going to love it. Hopefully the greens at Stonehouse have fully come back. They redid them two years ago and it took a while for them to come back. Weren't in the best of shape when I was there this time last year. Hopefully you've got a good bunker game, Vinny has a ton of them! $42 for New Kent is an absolute steal! Makes up paying $139 for GH-Gold. The most affordable, best golf courses, you'll ever play

Here is Stonehouse from a few weeks ago if you're curious. Still a few rough spots on the greens but mostly in good shape.

On 4/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, ChuckZ1956 said:

have played quite a bit of golf in WMBG.  You got the good ones and at great rates too. 

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

• 4 months later...

Heading down again next month and had a few additional questions about a few courses I haven't played yet.

Williamsburg Country Club and Two Rivers - My understanding is that they are both private but is it possible to get on either or both with a call from my club pro? How do they stack up against the better public courses, like GH-Gold and RNK? If we can get on either, any idea what they would charge for a reciprocal?

Of the public courses, I was planning on looking among GH - Green and Gold, RNK, Stonehouse, Brickshire and Viniterra. Any thoughts on these six, or any others that I should think about in place of one of these?

On 9/25/2022 at 10:05 PM, ChuckZ1956 said:

Just wondered if anyone had any info on the two private courses?

I can't speak on Two Rivers as I haven't played it but my understanding is that it is a very solid course. I am a member of Williamsburg Golf Clubs sister course, it is a very good course, some decent elevation changes throughout the property and nice views of the coasters at BG that also make for nice aiming points on several holes. It is defiantly worth a play if you can get on. GH Gold to me is the best the course in Williamsburg, has always been one of my favorites, I really like RNK also but it's just in a different ballpark in terms of design, all of the Strantz courses are. Some people like/love them, and some people see them as gimmicky so it's tough to compare RNK to anything else. WGC has 17 really good/challenging green sites, the 16th green is one that I think needs to be blown up and redone. 

I would say it's worth it to have your pro call to see if you can at least get on, worst thing they can say is no and you just go play somewhere else. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

• 1 month later...

I'm working on putting together a long weekend trip for May 2023 and had a couple of questions.  There will be 8 of us that are spread out over the east coast, so we'll be driving in on Wednesday and leaving on Sunday.  Looking at a package for 2 condos at Greensprings Resort.  Has anyone stayed there before?  I think the plan will be to play golf Thursday, Friday, Saturday and take off Sunday morning.  Some of us might be up for 36, but most probably won't, so I'm looking at solidly booking Royal New Kent, Stonehouse (Big Strantz fan) and Golden Horseshoe Gold.  If we were to pick up an extra 18 one or two of the days, any recommendations?  Is Brickshire worth it while out at RNK?  We've played Kiskiack, Colonial Heritage and WN Jamestown before.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 1:50 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

I'm working on putting together a long weekend trip for May 2023 and had a couple of questions.  There will be 8 of us that are spread out over the east coast, so we'll be driving in on Wednesday and leaving on Sunday.  Looking at a package for 2 condos at Greensprings Resort.  Has anyone stayed there before?  I think the plan will be to play golf Thursday, Friday, Saturday and take off Sunday morning.  Some of us might be up for 36, but most probably won't, so I'm looking at solidly booking Royal New Kent, Stonehouse (Big Strantz fan) and Golden Horseshoe Gold.  If we were to pick up an extra 18 one or two of the days, any recommendations?  Is Brickshire worth it while out at RNK?  We've played Kiskiack, Colonial Heritage and WN Jamestown before.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  

Look to add Viniterra to your list. It's right up there with RNK and GH Gold. I'd say your next best option after Viniterra would be Brickshire. I also really like WN Yorktown, the back 9 is a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

Go look at the pnb golf guys channel. He plays everywhere in that area has playing video and flyovers. Its Very helpful. 

On 9/30/2022 at 12:50 PM, adam2883 said:

I can't speak on Two Rivers as I haven't played it but my understanding is that it is a very solid course. I am a member of Williamsburg Golf Clubs sister course, it is a very good course, some decent elevation changes throughout the property and nice views of the coasters at BG that also make for nice aiming points on several holes. It is defiantly worth a play if you can get on. GH Gold to me is the best the course in Williamsburg, has always been one of my favorites, I really like RNK also but it's just in a different ballpark in terms of design, all of the Strantz courses are. Some people like/love them, and some people see them as gimmicky so it's tough to compare RNK to anything else. WGC has 17 really good/challenging green sites, the 16th green is one that I think needs to be blown up and redone. 

I would say it's worth it to have your pro call to see if you can at least get on, worst thing they can say is no and you just go play somewhere else. 

I’ve played Two Rivers 5-6 times, wife’s grandparents live there. Pretty nice course but nothing special, few good holes but nice greens and pretty open. Wouldn’t hesitate playing whenever I get the chance to again. 

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

• 1 month later...

I live here and I've played all of these courses.  Brickshire isn't bad but Viniterra is better imo.

If your staying at Greensprings and looking for 36 a day I would book Yorktown or Jamestown course at National because it's literally part of the resort (2 min drive to clubhouse).  Plus they would be easier courses after you play RNK or Stonehouse in the morning.

36 a day for 3 days minimum travel:

Golden Horseshoe: Gold and Green

Stonehouse and Colonial Heritage/Kiskiak

RNK and Viniterra/Brickshire