2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno Pro 225 Reviews

jetmech879

On 4/17/2022 at 7:37 PM, jetmech879 said:

I went with a new set of T-22s 48, 53, & 58. I’ve was actually playing a sm8 set at 53 and 58 with a set PW at 48. I ordered my irons 1/2” long so my set pw is basically just like my old 9 iron. My distance gaps have been spot on. 

I went with a very similar set up as well.  I just got the 225s and went with the T-22s in a 49*, 54*, 58* due to the strong PW loft of the 225.  I haven't had a whole lot of play with them yet but so far the gapping seems to be pretty good.  I was previously gaming Ping Glides in 52*, 56*, and 60* 

WITB

Driver - Ping G410 Plus PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 

3-Wood - Ping G425 Max Aldila Rouge White 130

5-Wood - Ping G425 Max Aldila Rouge White 130

4-PW - Mizuno Pro 225 PX IO 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T-22 49/S Grind, 54/S Grind, 58/D Grind  DG 120 S300   

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab #7

2 hours ago, BushwoodCaddie said:

I went with a very similar set up as well.  I just got the 225s and went with the T-22s in a 49*, 54*, 58* due to the strong PW loft of the 225.  I haven't had a whole lot of play with them yet but so far the gapping seems to be pretty good.  I was previously gaming Ping Glides in 52*, 56*, and 60* 

So are you playing the 58 primarily now out of greenside bunkers instead of the 56 in the Glide set or something else?

6 hours ago, jt2gt said:

So are you playing the 58 primarily now out of greenside bunkers instead of the 56 in the Glide set or something else?

Yep exactly.  58 for greenside bunkers and if I am short sided to where I might need to get the ball up quicker.  49 mainly for full shots and the 54 for everything and anything in between.  

• Like 1

WITB

Driver - Ping G410 Plus PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 

3-Wood - Ping G425 Max Aldila Rouge White 130

5-Wood - Ping G425 Max Aldila Rouge White 130

4-PW - Mizuno Pro 225 PX IO 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T-22 49/S Grind, 54/S Grind, 58/D Grind  DG 120 S300   

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab #7

Is there any merit to combo 223 and 225 , or just go all 225 ?

I'm after a bit more spin from my shorter irons. 

Do the 223 shorter irons have appreciable better feel vs the 225 short irons ?  One can only determine so much from just the 7i fitting heads.

I'm thinking either:

A.

225 5-6-7  and  223 8-9-PW-GW

Lofts:  23-27-31.5  and  36-41-46-51

B. ( 2 x 8i -> I don't mind having shorter gapping from 8i to GW )

225 5-6-7-8  and 223 8-9-PW-GW

Lofts:   22-25.5-29-33  and  37-41.5-46-51

I could just order all 225 , see how it goes in the real world , and re-evaluate from there.

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2024  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I'm playing the 225's and I'm really liking them. They have (for now) kicked my apex 19's out of the bag. They check all the boxes for me; feel, looks, forgiveness, and some added distance. 

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

If I played 5-pw of these bent 1˚ weak, would a T22 49˚ and 53˚ work well as a wedge setup? I already have a 57˚ that I like.

By the way, I understand that the gapping seems fine as it would be 45-49-53-57, but was wondering of the hollow heads of the the Pro 225's would still be too strong for that setup?

Mr. Wolfe

On 7/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

If I played 5-pw of these bent 1˚ weak, would a T22 49˚ and 53˚ work well as a wedge setup? I already have a 57˚ that I like.

By the way, I understand that the gapping seems fine as it would be 45-49-53-57, but was wondering of the hollow heads of the the Pro 225's would still be too strong for that setup?

Mr. Wolfe

Not sure if you knew this but the 9-GW on the 225's actually are not hollow body clubs at all... instead they have a 1025e body with a 17-4 steel back piece on the lower section of the club. I enjoy the short irons in the set.

Mizuno Pro 225 - Technology

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dpavs said:

Not sure if you knew this but the 9-GW on the 225's are actually are not hollow body clubs t all... instead they have a 1025e body with a 17-4 steel back piece on the lower section of the club. I enjoy the short irons in the set.

Thank you. I did read that, but totally forgot. I am just now building my set and only have the 5, 6, & 7 iron so far.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a set of the 225s but just put my ZX5/7 combo set back in the bag. Came down to simply getting much better height on my long irons with the ZX5s than the 225s. I also find the ZX7s to be a touch more forgiving, but not by a ton...

I am sure in a couple months I will stick the 225s back in the bag, though temped to trade in for 223s or 923's when released. Assume Srixon due out for an update as well soon too...

On 7/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, sun said:

I'm looking to move from a set of 921 Forged with KBS $ Taper shafts to the 225. It looks like Mizuno doesn't offer these shafts anymore due to supply chain issues. Of the stock shafts, can anyone comment on what would be close? I was custom fitted to the $ Taper ones. 

Right now you can get $ Taper shafts through Golfworks.  If you can order the 225's through a custom builder, they should be able to make that happen now.  I was fit for 225's back in mid July at smaller retailer here in NH and got them in about 30 days with PX LZ Blackout shafts (Chrome would have been backordered).  The place I bought them didn't bother even having me swing any KBS shafts because they knew they would backorder out.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but I've been playing them for a couple of weeks now and really like them coming from T100 forged. 

3 hours ago, SCOTT B NH said:

Right now you can get $ Taper shafts through Golfworks.  If you can order the 225's through a custom builder, they should be able to make that happen now.  I was fit for 225's back in mid July at smaller retailer here in NH and got them in about 30 days with PX LZ Blackout shafts (Chrome would have been backordered).  The place I bought them didn't bother even having me swing any KBS shafts because they knew they would backorder out.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but I've been playing them for a couple of weeks now and really like them coming from T100 forged. 

Thanks for the heads up!

I have been playing the 5, 6, & 7 irons and LOVE them. Everything about them - looks, feel, distance. I am going to order a 4 iron, 8, 9, & pw. I am considering trying the GW, but typically don't play a GW from a set very well (for some reason). Does anyone have experience playing with the GW and what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

I have been playing the 5, 6, & 7 irons and LOVE them. Everything about them - looks, feel, distance. I am going to order a 4 iron, 8, 9, & pw. I am considering trying the GW, but typically don't play a GW from a set very well (for some reason). Does anyone have experience playing with the GW and what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mr. Wolfe

I added the GW a few weeks back to my 5-PW, all have the same grips and shaft. (Project X IO 6.0)  I like the fact that it feels very consistent with the other irons but I do find that it may lack a bit of spin compared to some other 49/50* wedges out there. So to me if consistency of feel is the most important thing than I'd go for it but if you are looking to optimize spin.. then it may not be the best solution for you. If I was to venture a guess it would be that this probably could be said for most if not all set gap wedges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dpavs said:

I added the GW a few weeks back to my 5-PW, all have the same grips and shaft. (Project X IO 6.0)  I like the fact that it feels very consistent with the other irons but I do find that it may lack a bit of spin compared to some other 49/50* wedges out there. So to me if consistency of feel is the most important thing than I'd go for it but if you are looking to optimize spin.. then it may not be the best solution for you. If I was to venture a guess it would be that this probably could be said for most if not all set gap wedges.

Thanks, I will probably try the GW. I am playing them 1˚ weak so pw-gw would be 45-50˚. I am hoping one of my 54-58˚ combo of wedges will fit in well.

Mr. Wolfe

1 hour ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Thanks, I will probably try the GW. I am playing them 1˚ weak so pw-gw would be 45-50˚. I am hoping one of my 54-58˚ combo of wedges will fit in well.

Mr. Wolfe

I hope you enjoy it! I do like mine as to me having something consistent through 49* was more important than spin. If I need more spin, it's time to pull out the 56* or 60* I carry.

I'd be interested to know what your experience is once you have it in hand and have given it a whirl!

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Does anyone know if these can be bent to 3˚ flat? I am playing mine 2˚ right now.

Mr. Wolfe

Any experienced fitter should not have a problem with that. They are plenty soft. 

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I’m getting back in to golf after years off. Been playing with a buddy’s G710s. The golf shop did a shaft fitting on me and it was recommended to get Dynamic Gold 120g S flex or project x 5.5. 

Shop has a set of Rogue ST Max’s in stock with Tour Issue DG 120 S400s that they said would be great for me. I hit them well but like the looks of the 225s. They call to me. Think it would be dumb to try and play them? I demoed them and hit them pretty good. I like the looks at address because feels more precise setting up compared to big clunky clubs. They have 225s with DG 120 S300 shafts in stock. But then another part tells me to get the biggest most forgiving club possible. 

On 9/16/2022 at 12:35 AM, Lord Viking said:

In my opinion you have to like the way your clubs look and the more you play the more you'll be glad you got the 225s.

Get the 225s

Of course this advice is without knowing anything about you or your swing

I kind of agree. The 225's are incredible to hit if fitted correctly. They are VERY easy to hit for their size.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a set of used 225s in great condition to compare with my B’stone Tour-B. I only got the 6-PW but took to the range to compare anyways.

Feel is similar. Tour-Bs are softer but those 225s feel very good. I mean VERY good. Call me impressed.

Forgiveness is similar with a slight edge to the Tour-B but they are also a bit larger with a wee but more bulk visible at address on the 6 iron. The 225s appear to have slightly less offset as well.

I have the 223 Gap Wedge that blends well into the 225 short irons and I want to see if there is any difference in feel between it and the 225 PW. I would expect them to be similar.

The 223 GW is a great non-blades iron.

I thought the forgiveness of the 225s would lend itself to a slightly larger iron head than what it actually is.

They look like a Players iron. Again-very impressed!

TBH I will probably game the 8-PW in the 225 with the 5-7 in the Tour-B and see how they are on the course.

Tour-B flew a bit higher and shorter on  the range with mediocre balls so I’m anxious to see the course results. I would expect the 225s to be a club or more longer on the grass, but we shall see.

The 225s may push the Tour-Bs aside for the remainder of the season.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

I just got new-to-me set of 225s that I bought from one of the members here. They were almost new, such great condition!

I've only had a few range sessions with them but comparing to what I've been playing, the MP-57s, I was surprised by:

• The club heads were smaller on the 225s not sure why I was expecting them to be bigger than the MP-57s
  • The offsets were smaller also than the MP-57s
  • Almost a full club difference in loft, for example the MP-57 7 iron is 35* and the 225 is 30*

The 4-8 irons were a hair muted when i struck them well, they felt nice (nothing harsh) but wasn't the same feel I was used to. But the 9-G irons felt pretty much identical to the MP-57s, super soft. This makes sense:

On 7/5/2022 at 8:53 PM, Dpavs said:

Not sure if you knew this but the 9-GW on the 225's actually are not hollow body clubs at all... instead they have a 1025e body with a 17-4 steel back piece on the lower section of the club. I enjoy the short irons in the set.

Overall, love the look of them, feels great even for the lower clubs.

Can't wait to try them on the course, curious if I'll have similar issues with turf interaction others reported earlier. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AimingAtHazards said:

I just got new-to-me set of 225s that I bought from one of the members here. They were almost new, such great condition!

I've only had a few range sessions with them but comparing to what I've been playing, the MP-57s, I was surprised by:

• The club heads were smaller on the 225s not sure why I was expecting them to be bigger than the MP-57s
  • The offsets were smaller also than the MP-57s
  • Almost a full club difference in loft, for example the MP-57 7 iron is 35* and the 225 is 30*

The 4-8 irons were a hair muted when i struck them well, they felt nice (nothing harsh) but wasn't the same feel I was used to. But the 9-G irons felt pretty much identical to the MP-57s, super soft. This makes sense:

Overall, love the look of them, feels great even for the lower clubs.

Can't wait to try them on the course, curious if I'll have similar issues with turf interaction others reported earlier. 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying mine. For my part I also find them to be every bit as forgiving as any GI club I have owned. Perhaps just a touch shorter distance wise but from all I can tell the consistency is excellent which is a big plus over some GI's I have played.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was fit for a set of 225s in July 2022.  It took them 3 months to come in.  I had gotten a driver from the same fitter and it was working wonders so I was excited for the new irons to arrive.

I’ve played 11 rounds with them now and it’s been an unpleasant experience.  Right off the bat the distances and gapping were all over the place.  Today I played ok with them so I hope I’ll get back to where I was with my old clubs eventually.  However they certainly fly shorter.

here are the distances of my old pings first and the 225s second.

Ping,  Mizuno 225

pw 111,  104

9i. 132,  117

8i  140, 130

7i 154,  151

6i 165, 155

5i 173, 162

My 7 irons flys about the same which makes the drop off in all the other clubs confusing. 

The Mizuno’s sure do look nice.  But they are frustrating. 

Edited by likesgolf

54 minutes ago, likesgolf said:

I was fit for a set of 225s in July 2022.  It took them 3 months to come in.  I had gotten a driver from the same fitter and it was working wonders so I was excited for the new irons to arrive.

I’ve played 11 rounds with them now and it’s been an unpleasant experience.  Right off the bat the distances and gapping were all over the place.  Today I played ok with them so I hope I’ll get back to where I was with my old clubs eventually.  However they certainly fly shorter.

here are the distances of my old pings first and the 225s second.

Ping,  Mizuno 225

pw 111,  104

9i. 132,  117

8i  140, 130

7i 154,  151

6i 165, 155

5i 173, 162

My 7 irons flys about the same which makes the drop off in all the other clubs confusing. 

The Mizuno’s sure do look nice.  But they are frustrating. 

It sounds like something is off so when you get a chance you might want to have the lofts checked.  I do not have any such gapping issue with mine...so I will count myself as fortunate I guess.

I do agree that these are not power bats at all... I lost a yard or so in distance with them but what I gained was much better dispersion front to back.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, Dpavs said:

It sounds like something is off so when you get a chance you might want to have the lofts checked.  I do not have any such gapping issue with mine...so I will count myself as fortunate I guess.

I do agree that these are not power bats at all... I lost a yard or so in distance with them but what I gained was much better dispersion front to back.

Agree, something is not right with those clubs. Distances should be proportionate. The one thing I differ from you is these are the longest clubs I have ever played. Most recent irons played before these were PXG Gen3 P and Mizuno JPX921 HMP.

With my previous clubs, the 7i was around 155-160 and with the Pro225, I am 165+. I am also 1˚ weak from stock spec.

Mr. Wolfe