2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Launcher XL Driver! See What Members Are Saying!

519278495_CLEVELANDDRIVERMEMBERTESTINGSEEWHATMEMBERS.png.c8f9e8d8bac81c1d81a39de5f72ebfd9.png

We have five members testing out the Cleveland Golf Launcher XL Driver! It is called the Launcher XL because it’s really big and so is the sweet spot. That makes it extremely forgiving. The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

Learn more about the Cleveland Launcher XL Driver here.

The testers are:

@Andrew0425

@PhilsFanDrew

@jholz

@mbry429

@chfd098

Special thank you goes out to Cleveland Golf for putting on this member testing event!

• Like 2

Looking forward to posting my first impressions on the new Cleveland Launcher XL.  Just got back from Vacation this morning and heading to the firehouse for my 24 hour shift tomorrow.  Had to put a shipping hold on the driver since it was coming the day after I left for Florida, just my luck.  Would have been nice to take out for a spin down there.  Unboxing and first impressions on Thursday, hopefully with a range session with my daughter.  Thanks. GolfWRX  and Cleveland Golf for the opportunity! 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 460 9* w/ ProForce V2 72gr stiff tipped 3/4"

Fairway: Calloway 2017 Steelhead XR Strong 4 wood

Irons: Wilson Staff Ci chrome 4-GW stiff

Wedges: Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Wilson Staff Balance Fit Kirk Currie III

First off huge thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland for the opportunity.  I provided my current driver specs (TSi4, 8*, Tensei white, X-stiff) and was sent a XL in 9* with an Evenflow Riptide 6.5.  Very excited to get this to the range and on course in the next few days.  Unfortunately a crisis at work derailed my plans to be there this week.

I have never played a Cleveland club but the driver looks good at address, the paint looks nice and cant find anything bad to say about the club. 

I will get it to the range, course and launch monitor in the next week or so, plus a buddy with a different swing speed who has a PXG driver wants to try it so Ill post his feedback as well.  Please let me know what specific questions anyone has so I can try to answer them as I test the club.

Thanks again! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, Alright, Alright…There was finally a break in the rain and an opportunity to get to the driving range for some initial test.  As I mentioned before I plan to get this on the course soon and to a launch monitor for some comparison to my TSi4.

A little note about my game:

I have always been a recreational player and play to about a 12 handicap.  Swing speed is around 112 with the driver and have been playing the TSi4 that I was fitted into for almost 9 months now.  I am usually either good with the driver off the tee or good around the greens but almost never both in the same day.

The Club and initial impressions:

Again a huge thanks to Cleveland and GolfWRX for providing this opportunity.  In some messaging back and forth with GolfWRX I sent my current specs and was excited to see what Cleveland sent my way.  I was very excited when I received the club.  The head cover is nice, easy to put on but not a wrestling match to remove.  It has a nice lining that seems to do a great job providing protection.  The club is adjustable from 9*-12* and came preset at 9*.  It was sent with an Evenflow 6.5 shaft that felt very smooth and stable.  The head on this driver is larger than my old 915D3 and new (now new-ish) TSi4…but I knew that going into this.  It appears the extra CCs really come in the overall stretch of the club.  It has a nice pear shape and does not appear overly exaggerated in any one direction.  Overall based on looks I would put in the bag.

Onto the range:

It was still a bit wet but I took my time to warm up as normal and made sure I hit 10 or so solid drives with my current gamer before moving over to the XL.  The club felt a little lighter and I felt like I may have had a little more club head speed with the XL than I did my TSi4.  I’ll wait until I can get on a launch monitor to verify but as one of the other testers noted there may have been some philosophy borrowed from XXIO with the lighter=faster.  First hit was a little on the toe side and below the equator…I was shocked when I looked up and saw the ball flying much higher than my TSi4 (8*) and slicing.  The other thing Id note is the sound from the club.  It is distinctively louder and higher pitched than the TSi4.  Not like the old Nike Sasquatch but something that you notice when switching between clubs.  The driver felt great especially on solid strikes and felt very stable on those strikes that weren’t in the center.  It seems that all the technology Cleveland has put into the driver works.  Over the next few swings I got the ball flight straightened out and I’ll say that the ball flew noticeably higher but I can’t yet say how that impacted distance.  While I suspect it is spinning more the ball did not seem to “climb” while enroute to its apex so much as it stayed on more of a straight line.  It appeared that the range balls were landing/bouncing in the same area as my TSi4 so I am very excited to see what the on course performance is and what the launch monitor says with gamer ball. 

Feedback-Ill update after the course and launch monitor.

The club sits at a lower price point than many of the other OEM clubs on the market.  Given that this is near the opposite end of the spectrum as my TSi4 I can’t say the performance is far off.  The adjustable hosel gives plenty of loft options but no face options.  Don’t overlook this club if you are shopping…it may surprise you.

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Andrew0425
  • Like 2

Unboxing and Range Day:

Out of the box I will say the Cleveland Launcher XL is a nice looking driver.  The overall look of the club is appealing with a very clean look at address. The look down the shaft from address is clean with all of the text on the back of the shaft so as not to distract you if you change the loft or lie of the head.  

PXL_20220630_174520310.jpg.68d32de696a732856654e073054d077b.jpg

PXL_20220630_190011471.jpg.281f02d55a65a531e848b66a2e12e5e3.jpg

PXL_20220630_174513897.jpg.7a8fceb5b6bad06addf9411ec94db25f.jpg

PXL_20220630_174531544.jpg.6472832441f262d2f8473388fca00314.jpg

Initial Opinion:

This driver is light compared to what I have been swinging currently.  My current gamer is a Nike Sasquatch with a Proforce V2 72gram shaft in stiff flex that is tipped about 3/4".  The shaft out of the box felt a little "whippy" to me compared to my V2 but that is probably a combination of the lighter shaft and the fact that my old driver shaft was tipped slightly.  This driver is also almost 1" longer than my current gamer but I opted for the standard Launcher XL build over the accuracy build to try and take advantage and evaluate all of the technology that Cleveland has put into this club.  It took me a while to find the sweet spot for my swing and stance with this longer driver.  Despite it being longer I had a hard time hitting the ball up on the face of the driver and would frequently hit it low on the face even when teeing it up high.  I finally found the right stance which for me was a little more upright and narrow with the ball a touch further back than I play my Nike.  The last few drives on the range had a really nice ball flight to them.  

Adjustability:

Unless I have missed something in the post on Cleveland website the adjustability of this driver is limited.   Essentially all three driver's the 9*, 10.5* and 12* are the same club they just ship it with the club preset to the loft you want.  This was a little disappointing for me as I picked the 9* hoping to be able to play with the loft up and down to adjust the ball flight.  My main issue was that the 9* sits slightly open and flat at address.  In order to get a square setup at address you have to go up to 10* and to get a squad and neutral lie angle you have to go up to 10.5*.   I felt like advertising the choice of club lofts was a little deceptive on Cleveland's part, it doesn't matter which version you pick up, only the flex changes based on the shaft flex you pick.  

After playing around with it for a while and trying the original 9*, 10*, 10.5*, 9.5* and 9.5* flat I finally settled on the 9.5* option for my setup.  the 10.5* Square setup was nice too but man did I launch the ball high, which is expected since that is the design of the club.  Overall, this was my first adjustable driver so I could be off on my assessment of what I was expecting, but I was hoping for more options since I know I normally launch the ball fairly high.  

I saw another reviewer was able to get a 6.5 shaft in his club which I wish now I had asked for also.  I thought about it but they said as close to stock as possible in the initial post so I went right off Cleveland's website.  

Performance:

Initial performance for me was a bit mixed.  It took me a while to find the right stance and swing for this driver.   I am used to being able to go after my Nike and really jump on it, I could not do that at all with the Cleveland (not bad though in the end).   The one thing I noticed is that I had quite a few snap hooks with this driver, which for me was the reason I reshafted my Nike with the Proforce V2 in the heavier shaft.  Once I settled into a solid stance and swing for this club I hit way less hooks, only when I tried to really get after it did I hook the ball.   For the longest time at the range I really struggled to hit the ball up on the middle to upper half of the face, which was really throwing me off since this club was longer than my current driver.    Even still the ball flight off the bottom of the face was still really good.  Once I found the right stance which for me ended up being a little more upright, despite the club technically being a touch flat and I moved the ball back in my stance more than I would normally do I found the sweet spot.   When you connect with this club it definitely launches.  I really found myself easing off my swings and letting the club do the work to drive the ball.   The one huge benefit of this was that I could transition back over to my irons and fairway wood a little easier that I normally do at the range because I wasn't (or rather couldn't) jumping on this driver.  My last few drives with the 9.5* setting and a nice smooth swing were big, with a very nice ball flight.  

I'm not sure how the counterweight in the grip performed but I will say that the overall perceived swing weight of this club is light.  I want to run the club on a simulator to see my swing speeds with this club vs my Nike, I feel like I was swinging too fast with the Cleveland initially and once I settle down a little, I hit it more consistent.  

My only concern right now is the consistency of the driver for me.  My Nike had two misses, I straight pulled it right (poor shoulder alignment) or a big high fade.   I found myself hitting everything from snap hooks to high fade/slices with this driver and a lot of straight pushes.  My next step is to take it to my local simulator to run some numbers with it next to my Nike and see how launches to dial in my settings. 

When I hit it clean this driver definitely flies.  I had miss hits off the low face or slightly off the toe as long as some of my Nike drives.  If I keep it in the bag I would probably look at a slightly stiffer or heavier shaft to help eliminate the snap hooks for me.  

PXL_20220630_174447600.jpg.1faee87076317e0c8002917fecfd6184.jpg

PXL_20220630_174605344.jpg.e47cb06d7ddaea5945b1374c4385f432.jpg

Thoughts:

As I said next up for me is a session on the launch monitor followed by a 9 hole round with both the Cleveland and my Nike in the bag.   I will post results from both sessions.  I am on vacation starting July 14th and I am going to try to take my clubs with me to play a round on the local course.  Overall, I think this club has a ton of potential with the right shaft in it.  For stock I think I swing a bit too fast for the Cypher 50 6.0 shaft to be consistent but I want to try to make it work.  When I connected and hit it straight I was carrying the ball across my local range hitting range balls, which is roughly 285+ yards.   That was swinging easy too, I would love to find my swing and be able to go after the ball with this club, I think it could be huge.  

I read a few reviews that mentioned the sound of this driver before getting it.  It is a very metallic sound off the face, but I am hitting a Nike Sasquatch currently, so it didn't bother me.   

I will post more in the coming weeks as I adjust to the new Cleveland Launcher XL.  This is my first new driver in over 15 years and the first off the shelf driver at that.   I do think there is a ton of potential here especially with an upgraded shaft to match my stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB:

11 hours ago, Andrew0425 said:

First off huge thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland for the opportunity.  I provided my current driver specs (TSi4, 8*, Tensei white, X-stiff) and was sent a XL in 9* with an Evenflow Riptide 6.5.  Very excited to get this to the range and on course in the next few days.  Unfortunately a crisis at work derailed my plans to be there this week.

I have never played a Cleveland club but the driver looks good at address, the paint looks nice and cant find anything bad to say about the club. 

I will get it to the range, course and launch monitor in the next week or so, plus a buddy with a different swing speed who has a PXG driver wants to try it so Ill post his feedback as well.  Please let me know what specific questions anyone has so I can try to answer them as I test the club.

Thanks again! 

I wish I had asked for a slightly stiffer shaft when I submitted my specs.  The original post had said as close to stock as possible, I think a 6.5 might have helped me adjust a little to the new driver.   Hoping to work out the kinks over the next week or two.  

WITB:

17 hours ago, chfd098 said:

I wish I had asked for a slightly stiffer shaft when I submitted my specs.  The original post had said as close to stock as possible, I think a 6.5 might have helped me adjust a little to the new driver.   Hoping to work out the kinks over the next week or two.  

Yeah, I tried to go with stock myself for the same reason.

Not that I'm complaining at all because - free awesome club and I'm fine with the Cypher - but it looked like one of the other reviewers got one of the aftermarket options in theirs.  

Sometimes it pays to be audacious...

As far as some of your initial results, it sounds a lot like my initial experience with the Cleveland HB I got a few years ago. That one was stock 46" and I play 44". 

I figured I'd give it a try. It was kind of as you describe. It was only after I started choking down to my usual length that I could do much with it. 

While I chose not to stick with it, I think the transition to a longer driver is a bit of a challenge for everyone - then adding in the counterweight, of course. 

I'll be interested to see how things work with a different shaft. The head seems very lively! I'm assume it takes Srixon shaft adaptors, but I haven't really looked. I'd be interested to know what you find out about the issue. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• 2 weeks later...

Update 7/11/2022

After a crazy past 10+ days I finally made it back to the range.   Between working my 24 hour shifts in the fire house, my daughter getting Covid and my wife ending up in the ER there wasn’t much time for golf.  But today I made it back to the range with the Cleveland Launcher XL and my 7 year old daughter.   

Today went much better.  From go I was striking the Cleveland much better and I had a ton more confidence with it.   Ball flight today was a mix of high launch and straight penetrating ball flight.   After gaining my confidence I took the driver back down to the 9* loft and was consistently launching the ball at a nice angle.   I also found the club more consistent today with only a few bad shoots. Most of which occurred while I was trying to work the ball, specially put a strong draw on it.    Overall my consistent ball flight was straight to very slight fade, which I expected given the slightly open face on lofts below 10.5.  

After my second range session I now have a ton of confidence in this club.   I think this club will be staying in the bag for the long hall, especially if I can learn to work it just a little bit(slight draw would be nice).  

I am heading on vacation Thursday and hope to put 18 holes in the books while away.   If I get out I will post pics and yardages from my round.   Right now I’m feeling that the Cleveland is slightly longer than the old Nike, and that is consistent even with off center hits.    

Edited by chfd098
  • Like 2

WITB:

On 6/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, Andrew0425 said:

Thanks again! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, Alright, Alright…There was finally a break in the rain and an opportunity to get to the driving range for some initial test.  As I mentioned before I plan to get this on the course soon and to a launch monitor for some comparison to my TSi4.

A little note about my game:

I have always been a recreational player and play to about a 12 handicap.  Swing speed is around 112 with the driver and have been playing the TSi4 that I was fitted into for almost 9 months now.  I am usually either good with the driver off the tee or good around the greens but almost never both in the same day.

The Club and initial impressions:

Again a huge thanks to Cleveland and GolfWRX for providing this opportunity.  In some messaging back and forth with GolfWRX I sent my current specs and was excited to see what Cleveland sent my way.  I was very excited when I received the club.  The head cover is nice, easy to put on but not a wrestling match to remove.  It has a nice lining that seems to do a great job providing protection.  The club is adjustable from 9*-12* and came preset at 9*.  It was sent with an Evenflow 6.5 shaft that felt very smooth and stable.  The head on this driver is larger than my old 915D3 and new (now new-ish) TSi4…but I knew that going into this.  It appears the extra CCs really come in the overall stretch of the club.  It has a nice pear shape and does not appear overly exaggerated in any one direction.  Overall based on looks I would put in the bag.

Onto the range:

It was still a bit wet but I took my time to warm up as normal and made sure I hit 10 or so solid drives with my current gamer before moving over to the XL.  The club felt a little lighter and I felt like I may have had a little more club head speed with the XL than I did my TSi4.  I’ll wait until I can get on a launch monitor to verify but as one of the other testers noted there may have been some philosophy borrowed from XXIO with the lighter=faster.  First hit was a little on the toe side and below the equator…I was shocked when I looked up and saw the ball flying much higher than my TSi4 (8*) and slicing.  The other thing Id note is the sound from the club.  It is distinctively louder and higher pitched than the TSi4.  Not like the old Nike Sasquatch but something that you notice when switching between clubs.  The driver felt great especially on solid strikes and felt very stable on those strikes that weren’t in the center.  It seems that all the technology Cleveland has put into the driver works.  Over the next few swings I got the ball flight straightened out and I’ll say that the ball flew noticeably higher but I can’t yet say how that impacted distance.  While I suspect it is spinning more the ball did not seem to “climb” while enroute to its apex so much as it stayed on more of a straight line.  It appeared that the range balls were landing/bouncing in the same area as my TSi4 so I am very excited to see what the on course performance is and what the launch monitor says with gamer ball. 

Feedback-Ill update after the course and launch monitor.

The club sits at a lower price point than many of the other OEM clubs on the market.  Given that this is near the opposite end of the spectrum as my TSi4 I can’t say the performance is far off.  The adjustable hosel gives plenty of loft options but no face options.  Don’t overlook this club if you are shopping…it may surprise you.

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Wow the Cleveland looks huge next to the TSi4.   It was hard for me to judge sound since I was coming from the Sasquatch but I think your assessment is spot on after my second session today.  I too found the ball flight today to be fairly straight line, almost penetrating at times with the 9* and that was with the Cypher shaft and the counter weight.   I was a little jealous when I saw you got a 6.5 Evenflow shaft, I almost asked for a x stiff shaft if it was available but decided to stick with stock.   Todays range session went much better for me and I was actually able to go after it a little with the Cypher shaft, although my misses were more dramatic when I jumped on it.   Good luck on the course with it.   

• Like 1

WITB:

9 hours ago, chfd098 said:

Wow the Cleveland looks huge next to the TSi4.   It was hard for me to judge sound since I was coming from the Sasquatch but I think your assessment is spot on after my second session today.  I too found the ball flight today to be fairly straight line, almost penetrating at times with the 9* and that was with the Cypher shaft and the counter weight.   I was a little jealous when I saw you got a 6.5 Evenflow shaft, I almost asked for a x stiff shaft if it was available but decided to stick with stock.   Todays range session went much better for me and I was actually able to go after it a little with the Cypher shaft, although my misses were more dramatic when I jumped on it.   Good luck on the course with it.   

Yes that was a very pleasant surprise when I opened the box.  I just gave the fine people at GolfWRX my current specs and said I’m happy to participate.  It’s really awesome that we are given these opportunities by both WRX and the various OEMs!

• Like 1

Ok was able to swing by Dicks sporting goods before picking up kiddo.  There was a little bit of a line to hit in their bay.  Got about 5 warm up swings then 5 with each club.  TSi4 was up first and in Red.  The Xl was second in white.   I had a few strikes with the TSI4 that were low heel.  The XL felt very solid and stable.

AF73C14C-099E-42B0-A300-A7A1D1083759.jpeg

B9BFB89D-6644-4BB0-8B75-582D98E6DCD3.jpeg

16 hours ago, Andrew0425 said:

Ok was able to swing by Dicks sporting goods before picking up kiddo.  There was a little bit of a line to hit in their bay.  Got about 5 warm up swings then 5 with each club.  TSi4 was up first and in Red.  The Xl was second in white.   I had a few strikes with the TSI4 that were low heel.  The XL felt very solid and stable.

AF73C14C-099E-42B0-A300-A7A1D1083759.jpeg

B9BFB89D-6644-4BB0-8B75-582D98E6DCD3.jpeg

Those are some pretty interesting numbers. Obviously carrying it a bit farther with the TSi4, but the variance in the numbers is greater - particularly spin.

Seems like if you could get the spin numbers just bit lower with the Cleveland - it'd be the driver for you.

Not that there's anything wrong with the TSi4...Killer club.

or
or

59 minutes ago, jholz said:

Those are some pretty interesting numbers. Obviously carrying it a bit farther with the TSi4, but the variance in the numbers is greater - particularly spin.

Seems like if you could get the spin numbers just bit lower with the Cleveland - it'd be the driver for you.

Not that there's anything wrong with the TSi4...Killer club.

Agree...was pretty shocked when I saw the numbers.  The stability and potential to keep it in play may further enhance the argument.  I agree...Id love to see the spin down 200-300 RPMs.  The TSi4 is phenomenal when you are striking it well.  Looking forward to seeing what some on-course performance looks like.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First off, wanted to thank GolfWRX and Cleveland for the great opportunity. And apologies for the delay on my review -- I chose the Launcher XL and was initially shipped a driver that measured 46.5"+, despite the stock being stated as 45.75", which was admittedly a bit concerning about their quality control if they send out drivers that much longer than what USGA allows (not that I'm playing any official tournaments 😅). Cleveland told GolfWRX that they'd ensure to double check the next one they sent me, but it's still a hair over 46" - wasn't going to send it back again. I also requested virtually anything besides the stock Cypher shaft because I knew it wouldn't be stiff enough - so like others, I'm a bit confused why one of the reviewers was granted an exception to their "rule" of nothing outside of stock, but beggars can't be choosers. It definitely affected performance, more on that below.

About my game

I've played recreationally since about 15 but typically only a couple of times of year up until ~2019, when I started to get more into the game. I now typically play 20-30 times a year. My hcp this year has fluctuated around 16.5-17.5 as I'm working through swing changes. I can generate decent swing speeds, last measured around 108-110 with driver about a year ago, but off the tee I'm not consistent round-to-round. I started playing a TourEdge C721 w/ Ventus Red VC 6s last year with good results, and posted some of my best rounds when I was able to play a relatively tight, high draw off the tee. My main issue has been getting too quick resulting in a pull hook, with the occasional block right when hands stay open or hips don't clear fast enough. I've also recently begun testing a Callaway Epic Speed TD DS with a Veylix Rome 688 that I have a feeling will be in the bag for a long time.

First impression / looks

For me, this driver is a tale of two looks - the top screams Kmart starter set to my eye, while I actually quite like the bottom and it's Rogue-type looks despite it being a bit busy. This driver, as others noted, is quite large and intentionally so (hence XL). I've included some pictures below compared to by TEE and Callaway I've been playing. I had always thought the TEE looked massive, but I think the matte carbon on Launcher XL top makes it look even bigger for some reason - it definitely has a more elongated look. I'm not a huge fan of the decals on the top and I get what they were going for, but think it's lacking in execution. Otherwise, I dig the color scheme and matching shaft.

IMG-5833.jpg.f6b32c9e8bdad414b3c31177364529fe.jpg

IMG-5838.jpg.d808d36ccad2263e3d06d640e4bf0574.jpg

IMG-5848.jpg.eaf5a28635eb3ca349e56d84dc65654a.jpg

Performance

I took the club to the range a couple of times and made some swings on course. As I mentioned earlier, it's not the right shaft fit and difficult for me to properly assess, but needless to say I missed many left and a couple to the right. I tried slowing my swing and tempo down but also found I was hitting a bit lower on the head than my normal strike pattern - could also be due to the length as I rarely playing anything over 45.25" in driver. Hard to judge with limited flight range balls, but I was losing some distance with the Cleveland compared to my Callaway - by my guess it'd be about ~15-20 yards shorter. The acoustics are decent, reminiscent of Ping G series and a little bit of that softball bat sound that older Cobra models like the F6 had (which some loved, others hated). Tried including a video below for sound, but apologies if it doesn't help much. Either way, the club does what it's intended to do - you're not going to win any long drive contests with it, but fit with the proper shaft it will go wherever the club face is pointing at the time of impact and can give you decent numbers as a fairway finder. The adjustability is a bit limited as others have noted, but I think it's perfect for who this driver is geared towards.

IMG-5842.jpg.f5e41ed6dc190b5d0a88de6c2b6a13c0.jpg

Conclusion

I think Cleveland is attempting to carve out a spot in the forgiveness market that could, in theory, work with the Launcher XL, but I don't see how this would beat out the TEE C721 at the $399 price point (at least in my experience), outside of it already having more brand recognition. Cleveland also benefits from deploying tech from similar Srixon products, which are gaining a lot of positivity as of late. Personally, I don't plan on gaming it and the overall experience was still a bit lacking IMO, but still think there's a target audience for this type of driver. 

Edited by mbry429
photos
  • Like 1

Just wanted to pop back in for a few updates. And thanks to the rest of the testers for your reviews. Very interesting reading, if not completely unsurprising. 

For me, I've got about a month into this club which should equate to 4 rounds and 4 range sessions, but a week out of town has knocked that down to three rounds and three range sessions.

So far, I see nothing wrong with this club at all. Distance is on par with anything out there. The shaft is light and lively, but it isn't out of control. Feels very stable and predicable for me. 

In my second round, I did feel comfortable enough to really go after the ball, and I did see a tendency for an overly left ball flight. But, I adjusted the club to a 10.5* Flat setting, and my third round was back to effectively turning the ball both ways, and a very controlled ball flight.  

So, I really like the club. It definitely works. After about 15 holes, people are asking me about it. I guess my experience is the exception. 

But, I also wouldn't call myself a "typical WRXer" when it comes to equipment. I don't have the money to worry about custom fitting or aftermarket shafts much. Any golf club I own is a gift. They all work well if you hit them right. That's how I approach it.  

I also think my experience with the Launcher XL has benefitted from two points of context:

1. I came to the Launcher XL from a previous generation Cleveland driver (2018 Launcher HB) and I think this gives me an advantage in terms of adjusting to the lighter construction philosophy. 

2. I chose the "accuracy build" which shortens the shaft by an inch and does away with the counter balance in the grip. 

So, I'm just playing a standard driver with a slightly lighter, and more lively, shaft. In that configuration, I'd put it up against anything on the market.

I hope some of you folks check this driver out. It is a very good product. 

• Like 2

or
or

On 6/30/2022 at 8:58 PM, chfd098 said:

Unboxing and Range Day:

Out of the box I will say the Cleveland Launcher XL is a nice looking driver.  The overall look of the club is appealing with a very clean look at address. The look down the shaft from address is clean with all of the text on the back of the shaft so as not to distract you if you change the loft or lie of the head.  

PXL_20220630_174520310.jpg.68d32de696a732856654e073054d077b.jpg

PXL_20220630_190011471.jpg.281f02d55a65a531e848b66a2e12e5e3.jpg

PXL_20220630_174513897.jpg.7a8fceb5b6bad06addf9411ec94db25f.jpg

PXL_20220630_174531544.jpg.6472832441f262d2f8473388fca00314.jpg

Initial Opinion:

This driver is light compared to what I have been swinging currently.  My current gamer is a Nike Sasquatch with a Proforce V2 72gram shaft in stiff flex that is tipped about 3/4".  The shaft out of the box felt a little "whippy" to me compared to my V2 but that is probably a combination of the lighter shaft and the fact that my old driver shaft was tipped slightly.  This driver is also almost 1" longer than my current gamer but I opted for the standard Launcher XL build over the accuracy build to try and take advantage and evaluate all of the technology that Cleveland has put into this club.  It took me a while to find the sweet spot for my swing and stance with this longer driver.  Despite it being longer I had a hard time hitting the ball up on the face of the driver and would frequently hit it low on the face even when teeing it up high.  I finally found the right stance which for me was a little more upright and narrow with the ball a touch further back than I play my Nike.  The last few drives on the range had a really nice ball flight to them.  

Adjustability:

Unless I have missed something in the post on Cleveland website the adjustability of this driver is limited.   Essentially all three driver's the 9*, 10.5* and 12* are the same club they just ship it with the club preset to the loft you want.  This was a little disappointing for me as I picked the 9* hoping to be able to play with the loft up and down to adjust the ball flight.  My main issue was that the 9* sits slightly open and flat at address.  In order to get a square setup at address you have to go up to 10* and to get a squad and neutral lie angle you have to go up to 10.5*.   I felt like advertising the choice of club lofts was a little deceptive on Cleveland's part, it doesn't matter which version you pick up, only the flex changes based on the shaft flex you pick.  

After playing around with it for a while and trying the original 9*, 10*, 10.5*, 9.5* and 9.5* flat I finally settled on the 9.5* option for my setup.  the 10.5* Square setup was nice too but man did I launch the ball high, which is expected since that is the design of the club.  Overall, this was my first adjustable driver so I could be off on my assessment of what I was expecting, but I was hoping for more options since I know I normally launch the ball fairly high.  

I saw another reviewer was able to get a 6.5 shaft in his club which I wish now I had asked for also.  I thought about it but they said as close to stock as possible in the initial post so I went right off Cleveland's website.  

Performance:

Initial performance for me was a bit mixed.  It took me a while to find the right stance and swing for this driver.   I am used to being able to go after my Nike and really jump on it, I could not do that at all with the Cleveland (not bad though in the end).   The one thing I noticed is that I had quite a few snap hooks with this driver, which for me was the reason I reshafted my Nike with the Proforce V2 in the heavier shaft.  Once I settled into a solid stance and swing for this club I hit way less hooks, only when I tried to really get after it did I hook the ball.   For the longest time at the range I really struggled to hit the ball up on the middle to upper half of the face, which was really throwing me off since this club was longer than my current driver.    Even still the ball flight off the bottom of the face was still really good.  Once I found the right stance which for me ended up being a little more upright, despite the club technically being a touch flat and I moved the ball back in my stance more than I would normally do I found the sweet spot.   When you connect with this club it definitely launches.  I really found myself easing off my swings and letting the club do the work to drive the ball.   The one huge benefit of this was that I could transition back over to my irons and fairway wood a little easier that I normally do at the range because I wasn't (or rather couldn't) jumping on this driver.  My last few drives with the 9.5* setting and a nice smooth swing were big, with a very nice ball flight.  

I'm not sure how the counterweight in the grip performed but I will say that the overall perceived swing weight of this club is light.  I want to run the club on a simulator to see my swing speeds with this club vs my Nike, I feel like I was swinging too fast with the Cleveland initially and once I settle down a little, I hit it more consistent.  

My only concern right now is the consistency of the driver for me.  My Nike had two misses, I straight pulled it right (poor shoulder alignment) or a big high fade.   I found myself hitting everything from snap hooks to high fade/slices with this driver and a lot of straight pushes.  My next step is to take it to my local simulator to run some numbers with it next to my Nike and see how launches to dial in my settings. 

When I hit it clean this driver definitely flies.  I had miss hits off the low face or slightly off the toe as long as some of my Nike drives.  If I keep it in the bag I would probably look at a slightly stiffer or heavier shaft to help eliminate the snap hooks for me.  

PXL_20220630_174447600.jpg.1faee87076317e0c8002917fecfd6184.jpg

PXL_20220630_174605344.jpg.e47cb06d7ddaea5945b1374c4385f432.jpg

Thoughts:

As I said next up for me is a session on the launch monitor followed by a 9 hole round with both the Cleveland and my Nike in the bag.   I will post results from both sessions.  I am on vacation starting July 14th and I am going to try to take my clubs with me to play a round on the local course.  Overall, I think this club has a ton of potential with the right shaft in it.  For stock I think I swing a bit too fast for the Cypher 50 6.0 shaft to be consistent but I want to try to make it work.  When I connected and hit it straight I was carrying the ball across my local range hitting range balls, which is roughly 285+ yards.   That was swinging easy too, I would love to find my swing and be able to go after the ball with this club, I think it could be huge.  

I read a few reviews that mentioned the sound of this driver before getting it.  It is a very metallic sound off the face, but I am hitting a Nike Sasquatch currently, so it didn't bother me.   

I will post more in the coming weeks as I adjust to the new Cleveland Launcher XL.  This is my first new driver in over 15 years and the first off the shelf driver at that.   I do think there is a ton of potential here especially with an upgraded shaft to match my stats.

I had the exact same experience with this club. It was either a massive monster drive further than I’ve ever hit before, way right, or snap hooked left. The massive two-way miss is killer, but when you connect and properly square the face up you could easily Dechambeau it and win the long drive in a scramble. I hit this driver to places I’ve never been before…both in the middle of the fairway…and way right and way left of the fairway…

On a slightly related note, the Launcher XL irons with the catalyst 6.0 shafts are the best GI irons I’ve ever used…form both a feel and performance perspective. 

Edited by jonradus

18 hours ago, jonradus said:

I had the exact same experience with this club. It was either a massive monster drive further than I’ve ever hit before, way right, or snap hooked left. The massive two-way miss is killer, but when you connect and properly square the face up you could easily Dechambeau it and win the long drive in a scramble. I hit this driver to places I’ve never been before…both in the middle of the fairway…and way right and way left of the fairway…

On a slightly related note, the Launcher XL irons with the catalyst 6.0 shafts are the best GI irons I’ve ever used…form both a feel and performance perspective. 

Yes, I will readily admit that the Launcher XL is a much "loser" club when compared to recent Cleveland designs. It will produce a big miss to both sides if you aren't careful.

That's one of the reasons that I think their marketing is for this club is pretty bad. It may look like a "game-improvement" driver, but it really isn't. That's what the XL Lite and XL Draw are for.

In practice, the Launcher XL is really more of a "players" club. I really believe that. You can work the ball all over the place with it and it really hits it a long way. It's a trade off - more versatility, greater distance, but...

You've got to have a fundamentally solid swing to get the most out of it. It's not going to mask misses the way the last two generations of Cleveland drivers have (Launcher HB and HB Turbo) - but the adjustable hosel can help.

I also think that the "accuracy build" is the way to go with the Launcher XL. I don't see a longer shaft and counterbalance weight doing much except make it more wild.

If you're really looking for controlled ball flight, I think the XL Lite and Lite Draw drivers might be better suited. They will probably give you a more predictable shot shape and produce a more reliable one-way miss.

All I can say is that the Launcher XL is all that I need it to be and I am very pleased with it. It's a very good club.

• Like 1

or
or

1 hour ago, jholz said:

Yes, I will readily admit that the Launcher XL is a much "loser" club when compared to recent Cleveland designs. It will produce a big miss to both sides if you aren't careful.

That's one of the reasons that I think their marketing is for this club is pretty bad. It may look like a "game-improvement" driver, but it really isn't. That's what the XL Lite and XL Draw are for.

In practice, the Launcher XL is really more of a "players" club. I really believe that. You can work the ball all over the place with it and it really hits it a long way. It's a trade off - more versatility, greater distance, but...

You've got to have a fundamentally solid swing to get the most out of it. It's not going to mask misses the way the last two generations of Cleveland drivers have (Launcher HB and HB Turbo) - but the adjustable hosel can help.

I also think that the "accuracy build" is the way to go with the Launcher XL. I don't see a longer shaft and counterbalance weight doing much except make it more wild.

If you're really looking for controlled ball flight, I think the XL Lite and Lite Draw drivers might be better suited. They will probably give you a more predictable shot shape and produce a more reliable one-way miss.

All I can say is that the Launcher XL is all that I need it to be and I am very pleased with it. It's a very good club.

Agreed. I cut the grip off, pulled the counterbalance weight out, cut the shaft down an inch, reinstalled the counterbalance weight, and regripped it. It’s a bit more controllable now and just as long.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to get on the course for 9 the other morning.  No warm up just straight to the 10th tee.  Off the tee I struggled, probably had something to do with thinking I could skip a warmup and range.  However I found the XL to be straighter than the TSi4.  This may have been because I hit it second and corrected but it was closer to the fairway.  By the 17/18 hole both drivers were performing well.  Both getting out to 290+. The TSi4 was longer on both the 17th and 18th.  The XL absolutely launches higher and I suspect didn’t get the same roll.

bottom line for me:  this club works when struck well.  It’s a different sound and launch but it works and the extra forgiveness is much appreciated.  

huge thanks to @GolfWRX_Official and Cleveland for this opportunity 

Although I'm not an "official" WRX tester, I was one of the lucky winners of the Launcher XL driver in the giveaway contest here so I wanted to share my initial thoughts in this thread to add some more input to the testing conversation.

I've been playing the Mavrik Max the past few seasons and I've been a huge fan of it's forgiveness. Getting off the tee hasn't ever been my strong suit and with the forgiveness touted by the Launcher XL, I want to see if it can stack up against the Mavrik Max as I put it through it's paces.

The driver arrived yesterday, I ordered the standard build with the Cypher R flex shaft. I didn't opt for the accuracy build, as I have the counter balancing in the HyWood and I absolutely love the feel of it.

Unboxing pics!

IMG_7846.JPG.278a2203b721ab0232e3df8099db68e2.JPG

IMG_7847.JPG.a42c5bea04e5d6290afbfe9ebee28b56.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG.d25c8772b461222b5f201ee3a3a81c30.JPG

IMG_7849.JPG.fc81e87bcddd6d415ae15c6745c7aa94.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG.f6f8a4ab907034fac5148e18fc08958b.JPG

IMG_7851.JPG.7fe3786fd8d68ef2dfe26f17a13838b8.JPG

Overall like the official testers noted, this is a sharp looking driver. The graphics on the crown are pretty understated and I honestly didn't notice them at all on the range this morning. The headcover is solid, if a little tight. I'm sure it'll loosen up over time. The driver shipped with a wrench, but no adjustment guide. Obviously it's easy to pull one up on the Cleveland website, but it's a little thing that would have been nice to have.

Range time!

I went to the range today and hit two buckets off of grass, so I could move the tee position and height around based on what I'm used to with my current driver vs. what might work better for the Launcher XL. After warming up with some irons and wedges, I hit 5 shots with my Mavrik Max to get a baseline for where my swing was today, then it was on to the Launcher XL. My Mavrik is in standard config: 10.5* Neutral, with the heavier weight in the back for max forgiveness. So I started the Launcher XL in the stated 10.5* loft.

Head comparison in the sunlight:

IMG_7852.JPG.8c716eb69345c9d6c81fde0d891bc600.JPG

I do really like the matte black on top of the Launcher XL vs the Mavrik, so definite points to Cleveland here.

I immediately noticed that the Launcher XL wants to go right on me. Unlike the Mavrik, the Launcher XL had a definite fade tail, at times a slice. It's rare for me to lose a ball right, my bigger miss is a hook, so this was surprising. I ended up bumping the driver loft to 11*, then 11.5*, which closes the face slightly per the adjustment guide. I was still missing right with nearly every shot and losing distance over my gamer.

The driver is also loud. Not Ping loud or Nike Sumo loud, but definitely not the muted "thwak" of the Mavrik Max. I didn't notice anyone on the range whipping their head around every time I hit a shot, so I took that as a good sign 😆

After a while I took a look at the driver face, the range I go to is part of a course and their balls are a mix of range balls and found balls from the course. I did my best to grab balls that were in decent condition and close to what I'd play during a normal round. The face showed that the majority of my contact was center to heel, which could help explain some of the fade I was seeing with the majority of the shots. It's got me wondering if I should have opted for the accuracy build instead. The Launcher XL is playing at the same length as the Mavrik and I don't see the heel shots with that driver, so it could also be the stock Cypher shaft vs. the Evenflow Riptide. I did feel like the Cypher was "looser" in the swing. 

IMG_7853.JPG.12d3f26f740f18719930af50fae7f1f6.JPG

Initial verdict!

I can't base anything concrete off of one range session. I was expecting a much straighter flight based on the initial impressions in this thread, and I was a bit disappointed. However like I said - one range session. I'll try this out again in a few days when it's not a soupy muggy mess outside, and try choking up a bit along with standing a little further from the ball. I will admit that I didn't really try and change my tempo any from my usual driver swing, as I tried not to make too many accommodations at the start to try and give a true apples to apples comparison. I'll update more as we go along, I plan on a range session Tuesday and hopefully a round on the course either Wednesday or Thursday.

Tonight I worked on setup with this driver, setting up with the ball at the toe of the club at address led to much more centered hits and a much straighter ballflight. I was pretty happy with the results tonight after the so-so performance during my first range session with the Launcher XL. The face makes it extremely easy to see where the ball is contacting the face (at least right now while it's still new!) and I definitely saw markedly improved shots with that slight setup change. Again, it makes me think I should have opted for the accuracy build, although I don't think I want to attempt hacking off an inch of the shaft on my own with that counter weight in there! But if I can keep this performance hitting a slight controlled fade I will be very happy. Distance was also pretty much on par with my gamer driver, although the balls at this range we went to tonight are notorious for being worn smooth or nicked all over. So don't want to judge length until I hit my usual balls on courses where I know my normal landing zones.

I let my teenager take a few swings and the sound difference between his shots and mine were noticeable. Ah, to be younger and flexible again! To the opposite of me, he was turning it over to the left too much but said he liked the feel and distance of the club. 

Hopefully I'll get some on-course feedback within the next few days. 

Edited by xkilgorextroutx
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 1:28 PM, jonradus said:

Agreed. I cut the grip off, pulled the counterbalance weight out, cut the shaft down an inch, reinstalled the counterbalance weight, and regripped it. It’s a bit more controllable now and just as long.

Going to give this a try and retest - what you and @jholz are saying makes sense with the added length. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mbry429 said:

Going to give this a try and retest - what you and @jholz are saying makes sense with the added length. 

It helped a lot. That head is pretty big and the “bigness” is accentuated with a longer shaft. I hit the longest drives of my life with the stock shaft length, but man were the misses way off and bad swings and funky ball flights were exaggerated. Cutting an inch off makes everything more manageable and it didn’t take much distance off…if any at all.

I also feel like this launcher xl club length is a half inch longer than the specified 45.75” shaft length. I cut exactly one inch off mine and it’s now 45.25” long. Maybe I’m measuring it incorrectly or something, but it’s definitely 1/2” longer than my SIM2 driver that was bought cut down 1 inch. They’re both supposed to be 45.75” length.

The rubber plug counterweight is a little tricky to get out. You really need to slowly work it out. It took a few minutes to get out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonradus said:

It helped a lot. That head is pretty big and the “bigness” is accentuated with a longer shaft. I hit the longest drives of my life with the stock shaft length, but man were the misses way off and bad swings and funky ball flights were exaggerated. Cutting an inch off makes everything more manageable and it didn’t take much distance off…if any at all.

I also feel like this launcher xl club length is a half inch longer than the specified 45.75” shaft length. I cut exactly one inch off mine and it’s now 45.25” long. Maybe I’m measuring it incorrectly or something, but it’s definitely 1/2” longer than my SIM2 driver that was bought cut down 1 inch. They’re both supposed to be 45.75” length.

The rubber plug counterweight is a little tricky to get out. You really need to slowly work it out. It took a few minutes to get out. 

I may give cutting the driver down a try as well.  I have been hitting it much better and more consistent lately but it is still way longer than my old Sasquatch was and I bombed that thing.   Also interesting that you cut an 1” off and it was still 45.25” afterwards, I read in another forum that a few people got clubs over 46” in length from Cleveland.   They were questioning whether there was some QC issues at Cleveland over the consistency of the builds.

WITB:

5 hours ago, chfd098 said:

I may give cutting the driver down a try as well.  I have been hitting it much better and more consistent lately but it is still way longer than my old Sasquatch was and I bombed that thing.   Also interesting that you cut an 1” off and it was still 45.25” afterwards, I read in another forum that a few people got clubs over 46” in length from Cleveland.   They were questioning whether there was some QC issues at Cleveland over the consistency of the builds.

I've decided that I'm going to cut mine down as well. Headed out tonight to pick up some solvent and a blue grip. I'll report back this weekend on the results. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chfd098 said:

I actually bought it “barely used” from 2nd Swing and they described it as 46.25” long, but all of the ones they were selling were described that way too. So I figured it was just a measurement discrepancy. Maybe all the ones sold on 2nd Swing were 0.5” longer than standard, but I find that hard to believe. You never know though. At 46.25”, it’s an atom bomber. At 45.25” long, it’s still a bomber.

Edited by jonradus

Very interesting note about the standard length on these drivers being long. I don't think I could get used to that head shape though. It is so elongated and then with the graphics on top too....

Edited by JDTex

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Wilson Infinite North Side

Titleist Pro V1X