2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Is this a 68 Ballerina?

Jbarretta

7 hours ago, YouDaHamHider said:

To be fair isn't this as simple to understand as whipping a towel? Try whipping a towel with a lead arm accelerating off the chest and then try whipping a towel with just a shoulder turn. I haven't got fancy body motion sensors or access to the database of tour measurements but it just seems so obvious to me that the arms need to be accelerating off the chest like a Ferrari fueled with meth.

True in a sense but the golf swing is rotational not lineal. Ideally the arm doesn't "blast" off the chest, we want the club to "blast" around the ulnar bone at the end of the left arm. 

1 hour ago, Zitlow said:

True in a sense but the golf swing is rotational not lineal. Ideally the arm doesn't "blast" off the chest, we want the club to "blast" around the ulnar bone at the end of the left arm. 

I think it would be more accurate to say that some parts of rotational, some parts are linear. Take a look at that top down video of Rory. From P5 to impact, his lead shoulder moves in a very linear motion back and up (driven by that very strong lead leg). That linear vertical component is what drives most of the release of the club that is the source of real clubhead speed. As AMG has shown in a couple of their videos you can have near identical hand speed at similar points in the downswing, but they can create vastly different ball speeds just due to the way in which the release happens (or doesn't happen). 

Edited by Simpsonia

10 hours ago, Jbarretta said:

Experimented at the range today trying to close the gap at P6  had the intent of getting less lead arm adduction during backswing and downswing.  This before and after was the best I got.  Not sure why but when i set up open ( felt very open but when i put alignment stick down foot line wasnt an open as i felt) and had intent to get arm off chest and swing to the target  i had less gap at P6.  I believe the open stance made my brain not rotate the shoulder girdle as much in order to not pull the shot.  Almost felt like a push and felt repeatable.  

20221206_091401.jpg

Looks like you have made good progress by listening to the actual instructor posting on this thread.

• Like 2

OP if I remember correctly, you were working with Jake Gilmour in one of your other threads. How long have you been going at it and what kind of progress have you made? IMO, you have to find an instructor you trust and go all in. If you are seeing some improvement than trust the process. Second guessing will only lead to experimentation and spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naj959 said:

OP if I remember correctly, you were working with Jake Gilmour in one of your other threads. How long have you been going at it and what kind of progress have you made? IMO, you have to find an instructor you trust and go all in. If you are seeing some improvement than trust the process. Second guessing will only lead to experimentation and spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. Ask me how I know.

https://www.mattyungolf.com/

This is my guy   he was recommended on these boards   trained with gg and Dana   hes not a bender fan and I like bender   he advocates a pivot driven swing and turning the ribcage also strong grip and not rolling forearms unfortunately I've been around a 16 handicap for a while now mostly due to driver misses  I have a lesson tomorrow going to discuss p6

Edited by Jbarretta
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, Jbarretta said:

https://www.mattyungolf.com/

This is my guy   he was recommended on these boards   trained with gg and Dana   hes not a bender fan and I like bender   he advocates a pivot driven swing and turning the ribcage also strong grip and not rolling forearms unfortunately I've been around a 16 handicap for a while now mostly due to driver misses  I have a lesson tomorrow going to discuss p6

Nice! I think Dana's students have the prettiest swings. I did an online lesson with Josh Koch (also a Pupil of Dana's) a few years back trying to get that aesthetic. Ended up going back to the instructor who had me playing the best. Not a criticism on Josh, I just was able to relate to the other instructor more. 

Please post a follow up on your lesson. I'm sure he will get you squared away. These forums are both a blessing and a curse. They can help you find quality instruction but also get you chasing your tail if you're not careful. I'm at the point where I don't care how it looks I just want my index to drop. 

Met with Mattew yun my coach today and showed him the golfwrx thread.  He thinks i have a gap at P6 for a few reasons.  He thinks im too flat with the backswing, too much forearm roll (lead arm pronation) , i max out my rom with trail shoulder external rotation at top of backswing and that causes the trail shoulder to fire internal. And also i don't have a transition shallowing move and i just rotate from the top.  He solution was to work on a two plane swing

We first worked on backswing motion with a hula hoop.  If the hula hoop was a steering wheel there is no turning of the wheel.  just take it back with your ribcage and keep your trail shoulder internally  rotated and let the elbow fly.  back of lead hand glove faces the ground during takeway.  the from that potion at the top you have no choice but to externally rotate the trail shoulder and pronate the lead forearm in transition. 

I hit some balls this way very slowly.  On video you can see a major shallowing transition move.  I had a tight t-shirt so you could see the ribcage and shoulder crunching.  The problem was this move opens the clubface and you really have to pivot to square the face.  It felt tough to time the shallowing of the arms with the pivot  

Matt wants this to be my new swing for next season, he said its the first time he has ever saw me on video make a pro style transition shallowing move.  Im not exactly Matt Wolff, more like fred couples.   There was zero gap at P6 on video

He sent me the drill on ig

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClnFu9jje3Q/?igshid=ZmVmZTY5ZGE=

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 8:34 AM, Jbarretta said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/gallery/mike-bender-power-at-impact-with-zach-johnson/amp

Here is bender method accelerate arms and stop the pivot to create a slingshot.  Pretty much the opposite of soft arms and continuous rotation through impact.  Also promotes closed shoulders at impact.  

Here is a lead arm adduction move which for me gets my arms looking late on video

This a great video and the technique that I and my best friend use, however it is a consequence of the setup and takeaway sequence as opposed to any downswing thoughts, which I think is a lot easier on the body. Here is capture of my swing and my friend Javier's swing. This was the first day he used "Hogans" angled right leg to help him push off more of the right side. He generally fights a slice but this swing was only a slight push with no slice.

292346139_315338803_5550775978376034_737211437838413714_n.mp4_snapshot_00.03_2022_12.09_07_17_15.jpg.ab84434ebd1ec200c450d9ad380211d7.jpg

315567027_5552018378180954_4512432823660093139_n.mp4_snapshot_00.21_[2022.12.09_07.22.02].jpg

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

7 hours ago, Jbarretta said:

Met with Mattew yun my coach today and showed him the golfwrx thread.  He thinks i have a gap at P6 for a few reasons.  He thinks im too flat with the backswing, too much forearm roll (lead arm pronation) , i max out my rom with trail shoulder external rotation at top of backswing and that causes the trail shoulder to fire internal. And also i don't have a transition shallowing move and i just rotate from the top.  He solution was to work on a two plane swing

We first worked on backswing motion with a hula hoop.  If the hula hoop was a steering wheel there is no turning of the wheel.  just take it back with your ribcage and keep your trail shoulder internally  rotated and let the elbow fly.  back of lead hand glove faces the ground during takeway.  the from that potion at the top you have no choice but to externally rotate the trail shoulder and pronate the lead forearm in transition. 

I hit some balls this way very slowly.  On video you can see a major shallowing transition move.  I had a tight t-shirt so you could see the ribcage and shoulder crunching.  The problem was this move opens the clubface and you really have to pivot to square the face.  It felt tough to time the shallowing of the arms with the pivot  

Matt wants this to be my new swing for next season, he said its the first time he has ever saw me on video make a pro style transition shallowing move.  Im not exactly Matt Wolff, more like fred couples.   There was zero gap at P6 on video

He sent me the drill on ig

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClnFu9jje3Q/?igshid=ZmVmZTY5ZGE=

I agree with what he is saying for causes. All those can cause arms to trail and are things most am’s struggle with. Multiple ways to attack the issues.

2 hours ago, Jbarretta said:

We had 45 degree weather in NY so I went to my club.  Wanted to try and get a video of the new swing I've been working on  Mystery solved.  P6 gap was due to i maxed out my range of motion on lead forearm pronation and external shoulder rotation during the backswing.  Let the elbow fly and say goodbye to P6 gap!

( this shot was a beauty 175 yard 7 iron on a par 3)

nice one, night and day difference

5 hours ago, Jbarretta said:

We had 45 degree weather in NY so I went to my club.  Wanted to try and get a video of the new swing I've been working on  Mystery solved.  P6 gap was due to i maxed out my range of motion on lead forearm pronation and external shoulder rotation during the backswing.  Let the elbow fly and say goodbye to P6 gap!

Really nice change!

4 hours ago, michaeld_2020 said:

@MonteScheinblum

What are your thoughts on feet pressure & the shift that AMG talk about and this motion of the ballerina move? Do you think the lead domino is the correct pressure shift (surf move as they say) or do the arms have to lower first?

Shift first 

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 8 months later...
On 12/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, Jbarretta said:

Can you give a bit more detail here? The improvement in a few days is amazing.  Was it strictly changing your backswing which allowed you to get your hands that far forward in the downswing?