Scotland Trip questions.

ziqch

I am starting to plan a golf trip for me and my brother so will be two of us. Trip will be for about 6 days there. Planning on renting a car to be able to get around easy. Had couple of quick questions as I get started.

1. St Andrews 3 day pass seems attractive but is it worth it? seems like lot of time spent at St Andrew courses especially with a shortish trip?

2. If I end up buying the three day pass or not? do I need to advance book tee time for St Andrew courses in advance as well like other courses in the area, or this can be arranged day before? Understanding that TOC is different.

3. Thinking of few days at St. Andrews, then up north to Aberdeen or Dornock? More options in one over the other?

Once I have some form of basic structure, then I can start contacting golf courses for tee times. Looking for trip towards end of summer, early fall.

Thanks everyone.

My two cents (based upon my Summer 2022 trip) is:

Six days is probably too short for regions as far apart as St. Andrews and Dornoch because the 3-4 drive up and back will kill an entire day (1/2 day lost each way).  I was only in Dornoch for 2 nights (playing on the way up, and the morning we left) and it felt like a rushed part of the trip.  I can't comment on Aberdeen but that might be more doable.  

If you are only in St. Andrews for three days, I would not get the links pass.  With a car, I would take advantage of courses a short drive away especially Elie and even up to Panmure. If you do that, and factor in playing TOC, you are not going to get the value out of the links pass.  My only hesitation on this is that I believe if you get the links pass, you can book one course each day in advance (check to confirm this).  During our trip, we ended up having to call on the day before an open day to get a time on the New Course.  It worked out, but it was a bit of a hassle that might be able to be avoided. 

First figure out if you want to stay in St Andrews for more than a day or two. Second, you don't need to leave Fife for the entire trip. There are enough cool courses between TOC, New Course, Eden Course, Castle Course, Kingsbarns, Elie, Crail, Dumbarnie, Leven, Lundin, Kinghorn and Burntisland. Places like Carnoustie, Panmure and Gleneagles are a fairly easy day trip. 

You’ll have a great trip no matter the final plan. If you feel like driving to see the countryside this would be an option:

Day 1 Land at EDI drive to St. Andrews (1.5hrs) and play The New Course stay the night in St. Andrews

Day 2 Drive up to Aberdeen (1.5hrs) play Royal Aberdeen, OR to Cruden Bay (2hrs) play Cruden Bay stay the night

Day 3 Drive to Nairn (2hrs) and play. Either stay the night in Inverness (30mins) OR drive up to Dornoch (1.5hrs)

Day 4 Play Dornoch, in fact play 36 and stay the night.

Day 5 Drive to St. Andrews (3.5hrs) Play The Castle or Jubilee. Take a nap, then at Midnight go to the starter shack and camp out in line for a walk up spot the next day. 
Day 6 Play TOC then enjoy your last night in St. Andrews

Day 7 Drive to EDI and fly back.

If you don’t feel like driving as much, you could just stay in St. Andrews for 6 days with plenty of great options for courses. The New, Jubilee, Castle, Crail, Lundin, Kingsbarns. Then if you want to drive an hour or so Carnoustie and Panmure are options as well

The third option, and maybe the best option would be to spend 3 days in St. Andrews and then 3 days in Gullane.

Play New, Jubilee, and TOC in St. Andrews, Then play Gullane, North Berwick, and Muirfield when you’re in Gullane.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

This is why I love this forum, Very helpful and prompt with responses. Thank you everyone for their insight and suggestions. I think I am going to plan on staying around St Andrews and spend week there, With car available, should be able to small drives to course. Purpose of the trip being golf, will leave sight seeing for some other trip as suggested.

Also will hold off on three day St Andrew pass. However should I go ahead and book advance tee times for St Andrew courses like I will be doing with others.?

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, ziqch said:

This is why I love this forum, Very helpful and prompt with responses. Thank you everyone for their insight and suggestions. I think I am going to plan on staying around St Andrews and spend week there, With car available, should be able to small drives to course. Purpose of the trip being golf, will leave sight seeing for some other trip as suggested.

Also will hold off on three day St Andrew pass. However should I go ahead and book advance tee times for St Andrew courses like I will be doing with others.?

Thanks again.

Defintely book advanced tee time. If you want to play 36 on some days, the unlimited 3 day ticket is a great bargain because it gives you 1 advanced time each day AND any other rounds on those days based on availability. You’ll have 18 hours of daylight so plenty of time for extra round. Also keep in mind, you don’t have to play consecutive days. The playing days can be spread out over 7 days. On the other courses, I would definitely book early. Two reasons, first the exchange rate right now is very good so paying now will save some money, and second you can get your itinerary set. If you have any other questions, message me and I’ll be happy to help.

• Like 1

You have to be sure you want to play three days of Trust courses and play 36 at least one day to get any value out of the Links Ticket. I often avoid it because I want days open for TOC ballot and Elie. Although the New is a cracking course and I have a lot of time for Eden. The Castle is also good if the weather has been dry. 

When you make the pilgrimage to Anstruther for fish and chips be sure to play the 9 hole course. It has a few wonderful holes and it's a good setting. 

Be sure to play the Himalayas at least once. Walk TOC if you are there on a Sunday. Its wonderful to look at the course from different angles when you don't have a scorecard in hand. 

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, ziqch said:

Thanks again.

Everything Hammergolf said! But don't leave our Murcar before/after Royal Aberdeen (we share the same piece of land!). Super underrated and easy to get on. 

• Haha 1

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

So I ended up deciding to stay in Fife area and play the courses around here. Following is the list where I have booked tee time in the order of play/days.

TOC (walk up)

Jublee

Castle and Ellie

Kingsbarn

Lundin and Crail

Panmure

Need help with finding tow more courses to play last day. Trying to play New course but tee times are not available so will have to check with starter day before for walk in. Carnousite, Murifield and Dumbarnie all booked up. Other options? or should I just drive over evening before laast day and play Gullane? course 2 and 3 available, 1 is not.

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, ziqch said:

So I ended up deciding to stay in Fife area and play the courses around here. Following is the list where I have booked tee time in the order of play/days.

TOC (walk up)

Jublee

Castle and Ellie

Kingsbarn

Lundin and Crail

Panmure

Need help with finding tow more courses to play last day. Trying to play New course but tee times are not available so will have to check with starter day before for walk in. Carnousite, Murifield and Dumbarnie all booked up. Other options? or should I just drive over evening before laast day and play Gullane? course 2 and 3 available, 1 is not.

Thanks again!

There is Lundin and Leven. Plus, Gleneagles Kings and Queens. 

North Berwick, Gullane, or Kilspindie would be a good choice for the last day, plus if you stay there it will be closer to EDI to fly out.

23 minutes ago, ziqch said:

North Berwick all booked. Gullane 2 and 3 good courses? will look into Kilspindie.

All the courses at Gullane are good. Lots of good options in East Lothian.

https://scotlandsgolfcoast.com/top-scottish-golf-courses/

5 hours ago, ziqch said:

Thanks everyone. I will look at East Lothian courses for the last day and report back what I am able to book. 

One questions I had, off the list of courses I have booked, any course needs handicap proof except TOC?

The only courses I played that ask for it was TOC

Thanks again. Seems like flying in and out of Glasgow maybe a better choice from US pricewise. If I go with that route, would rather playing couple of courses on my last day near Glasgow. Any suggestions?

Also if flying through LHR still a mess with luggage, as hard as I may try, most flights out of Chicago tend to connect through LHR.

4 hours ago, ziqch said:

Thanks again. Seems like flying in and out of Glasgow maybe a better choice from US pricewise. If I go with that route, would rather playing couple of courses on my last day near Glasgow. Any suggestions?

Also if flying through LHR still a mess with luggage, as hard as I may try, most flights out of Chicago tend to connect through LHR.

Lots of good choices near Glasgow, my favs are Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailes, and Prestwick. Those courses are all an hour or less away Glasgow Airport. I’ve heard that the luggage situation has improved but even in normal times it’s a coin flip during the busy months. Either way, even if you stay in Gullane you’re still only an hour from Glasgow Airport.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, ziqch said:

I would still do Edinburgh courses and eat the extra drive. Edinburgh airport is now much better than Glasgow but ten years ago it was the opposite, I have no idea why but Glasgow lost a lot of routes to Edinburgh. Glasgow and Edinburgh are only 48 miles apart. I am bias to the East coast though, my wife is the opposite!

Airports are fine, I even had a seamless trip through Manchester(airport been under construction for years and years) this month so Heathrow must be fine!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, DrDon said:

Don't hesitate to play a course that you like a SECOND TIME.    I found that when playing a series of golf courses ONLY ONCE, you tend to miss something or forget your good experiences too easily.   

I agree with this, the courses I saw multiple times are much more burned into my memory. Also agree that for a week’s trip, I wouldn’t make the long drive north to Aberdeen. I was in St Andrews for 2 full weeks and felt I just started to get comfortable (restaurants, directions, the electricity of the town) the last few days, so I think you can easily do a week. 

That said, my week in North Berwick was the second best week of golf in my life (behind St Andrews naturally), and I can’t imagine going to Scotland and not finding a way to play North Berwick (I managed to play 36 holes twice and would have traded every other round other than TOC to play it again), so I’d suggest getting on a wait list or whatever possible. The nice thing is it’s certainly drivable from St Andrews if needed (2 hours) or could be your first or last stop in/out of EDI. 

Gullane 2/3 would give you a great feel of Gullane and I actually liked them better than 1, partially due to price but also character, quirk and charm. However I would not travel to North Berwick for just Gullane or Killspindie, I’d spend that time in St Andrews, on the Jubilee (my favorite non-Old), Eden, New, Elie, etc. 

Last thing, I would aim to give myself a chance at the Old every single day. I know it’s very expensive compared to others in Scotland, but I played it 3x and every single time, it revealed itself more. I can see why you can play it hundreds of times and not get bored. The first round was a complete blur given the excitement and emotion. The second time started to feel more like playing golf, albeit just hitting shots. And by the third round I actually started to open my eyes and appreciate the layout and start scratching the surface of how to play it, appreciate the design in a way I couldn’t. 

Going to be an amazing trip no matter what you decide. I’m so jealous!

• Like 1

As far as playing the same course twice- Kingsbarns had an offer that if you played 2 times in one week the second round was half off. This was in 2022 so not sure if that deal is still in place. You might find the same deal or close on some other courses.

We stayed in St A and played locally (St A Trust courses, Crail Balcomie and Kingsbarns 2x) and drove one day to play 36 (Carnoustie/ Panmure) It was worth the drive but you really can't go wrong playing/ staying in Fife.