2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Quick update on the Autoflex shaft. I am really starting to get the hang of this thing. It wasn't a performance issue as much as th feel was so different I don't think I trusted it. Played a practice round yesterday hitting several drives on each hole on the front 9, then laid a one man 2 ball scramble on the back and shot a 30. The irony being 2 of the 4 holes I didn't birdie or eagle, were the par 3's. 

... Then today I shot a 67 and only missed 1 fairway. Hit two of the longest drives I have hit on two holes. The 2nd was 310 😱  As you all know I can't come close to 310 but the 12th is 408 and I had 88 yds to the middle. My normal drives hit on a flat area, then bounce onto a downslope and can roll to the bottom flat area. This one just carried over the flat and hit on the downslope propelling it down past the flat and onto the upslope. It was a few inches off the fairway because that line is usually good but I hit it so far it rolled up the slight dogleg and it took us awhile to find it. 

... I am thinking this Autoflex Dream 7 has a very good chance of staying in my bag, something I would have never thought after the first 3 rounds. As an added bonus my pard turned 82 last week and shot a stroke under his age! 

521scorecard.jpg.0c82f1e2b815af8b78e81448d3cee1da.jpg

Congrats to your partner.

And the $700 question is, if it weren’t free would you buy one knowing what you know?

31 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Quick update on the Autoflex shaft. I am really starting to get the hang of this thing. It wasn't a performance issue as much as th feel was so different I don't think I trusted it. Played a practice round yesterday hitting several drives on each hole on the front 9, then laid a one man 2 ball scramble on the back and shot a 30. The irony being 2 of the 4 holes I didn't birdie or eagle, were the par 3's. 

... Then today I shot a 67 and only missed 1 fairway. Hit two of the longest drives I have hit on two holes. The 2nd was 310 😱  As you all know I can't come close to 310 but the 12th is 408 and I had 88 yds to the middle. My normal drives hit on a flat area, then bounce onto a downslope and can roll to the bottom flat area. This one just carried over the flat and hit on the downslope propelling it down past the flat and onto the upslope. It was a few inches off the fairway because that line is usually good but I hit it so far it rolled up the slight dogleg and it took us awhile to find it. 

... I am thinking this Autoflex Dream 7 has a very good chance of staying in my bag, something I would have never thought after the first 3 rounds. As an added bonus my pard turned 82 last week and shot a stroke under his age! 

Congrats chisag. You are the dude to ask to test a driver shaft. Props player. 

• Like 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Then today I shot a 67

image.gif.cb7f7fb464ccba9a35654c35941ed924.gif

😂

Serious question though ... I don't know your swing at all but all I've read and heard about it; do you find having some ease a transition? Seems that's what it wants. 

Kind of bummed I didn't give one a go when I was at my fitting last week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

9 hours ago, chisag said:

I have never tried an actual Autoflex shaft, but I have tested less expensive shafts with similar specs.  When I participated in the Otto Phlex hack challenge, I struggled at first with the lightweight more flexible shafts.  However, once I slowed down my transition, I found these shafts easy to hit.  The best way for me to describe it is a more effortless swing.  In fact, I sold a Ventus Velocore blue driver shaft after participating in the challenge.  Through the testing, I have wound up with 2 driver shafts that are interchangeable for me.  One is a UST Mamiya MP5 in ladies flex and the other is Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 45 in stiff flex.  I know it is weird that one is a ladies flex and the other stiff flex, but I believe the MP5 plays more like a regular flex.  

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

Toura Golf CB 5-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° and Corey Paul wedges 52° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

Good morning, golfers!  

347395382_1696214847486470_2038805737353677630_n.jpg

• Haha 3

@chisag keep it coming on the Korea Hidden Technology!

On @DLeightonReid tip I’m trying my own ghettoflex experiment. Prolaunch Blue in L flex at my full 48” driver length. It will be fun and interesting….way back around 2000 I tried a couple Adams FW woods with the PL Blue….there is no such thing as a shot too high, but these things spun like a gyroscope for me and just did not work. That was a long time ago though. The shafts are not the same and my game sure isn’t either so for something well under a C note it will be fun to try. 

@touch the 9w and 11w force is strong! I am going to grab a G425 Max 9w to match my 5w and 7w. I wish Ping made an 11w, but that Callaway is a great stick. Do you recall the Ely Would? I think it was a 13 wood. 😁

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

10 hours ago, aenemated said:

😂

Serious question though ... I don't know your swing at all but all I've read and heard about it; do you find having some ease a transition? Seems that's what it wants. 

Kind of bummed I didn't give one a go when I was at my fitting last week. 

... I think any kind of Young/Hidecki transition just wouldn't work with the AF. I have a slight pause at the top and wish I could start down faster but after trying different things and speed training through the years I am just stuck in the 95-99mph max swing speed. Starting down quicker only destroys my tempo. If my back is tight I can get a little quick at the top but I almost always have a smooth type transition. A little too smooth (slow) imo but it is what it is at this point. 

... It is the over all feel combined with waggling it like a fly rod that just gave my brain mixed signals. It has taken me a good 5-6 rounds to truly trust my swing and ignore the completely different feel. Once I finally got to that point, I can swing as fast as possible and it stays with me. Again that is under 100mph so not that fast, but increasing it 3-4 mph is fast for me. On demo days once I am warmed up it is a sickeningly consistent 95mph almost every swing. A few drop to 94. The irony being when a fitter asks me to really go after one, it can drop to the low 90's because I just swing harder and not faster. 😱

... I hope you get a chance to demo one because you are a range guy and would probably do well with a demo of something radically different, dialing it in with your swing. But chances are you would still need some time on the course with it to fully trust it. After 3 rounds I would have abandoned mine of I weren't doing a review. My very first round was brutal. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

I have never tried an actual Autoflex shaft, but I have tested less expensive shafts with similar specs.  When I participated in the Otto Phlex hack challenge, I struggled at first with the lightweight more flexible shafts.  However, once I slowed down my transition, I found these shafts easy to hit.  The best way for me to describe it is a more effortless swing.  In fact, I sold a Ventus Velocore blue driver shaft after participating in the challenge.  Through the testing, I have wound up with 2 driver shafts that are interchangeable for me.  One is a UST Mamiya MP5 in ladies flex and the other is Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 45 in stiff flex.  I know it is weird that one is a ladies flex and the other stiff flex, but I believe the MP5 plays more like a regular flex.  

... Good stuff. I have experimented a couple times with a ladies flex and hit some awesome drives but they had a tendency to balloon as well as producing too high a trajectory. The AF is producing a really nice mid/high trajectory and the spin seems excellent as I am getting nice carry and roll. It certainly isn't ballooning. The AF works great with easy swings and definitely hits it farther than that slow of a swing should produce so I can see slow swingers loving it, but I want max distance (haha who doesn't) so I want to swing it as fast as I comfortably can and it is responding now. I think it was just a matter of trust as I certainly didn't trust that unique feel for the first 4 rounds. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Lunch at work on a normal Wednesday. 

Southwestern spiced chicken with peppers over rice with mixed vegetables.

Black Forest Cake. 

Now today is a normal day but the remainder of the week will be anything but normal for me. Tomorrow thru Memorial Day is our biggest tournament of the year. 80 two man teams battling on the golf course both mornings and afternoons. Three meals a day will be provided to the participants. The Jess Sweetser Memorial Tournament means lots of golf and lots of drinking. The excitement level will be high. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good stuff. I have experimented a couple times with a ladies flex and hit some awesome drives but they had a tendency to balloon as well as producing too high a trajectory. The AF is producing a really nice mid/high trajectory and the spin seems excellent as I am getting nice carry and roll. It certainly isn't ballooning. The AF works great with easy swings and definitely hits it farther than that slow of a swing should produce so I can see slow swingers loving it, but I want max distance (haha who doesn't) so I want to swing it as fast as I comfortably can and it is responding now. I think it was just a matter of trust as I certainly didn't trust that unique feel for the first 4 rounds. 

Have you experimented with lowering the loft on your driver paired with the Autoflex shaft?  With these lightweight, high launch shafts, I hit my driver best with the loft set at 7.5° or 8°.  Simply put, I am tryling to launch it high with low spin for maximum distance.  

Edited by DLeightonReid

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, dashanks said:

That's some good Hollywood dish right there.  Always like to hear good things about celebrities. (And bad things).  Most of the glitterati I've met seemed pretty decent.  And by "met," I mean crossed paths with.   Ran into a lot of them working the street in New York.  Only a couple were humpy.  Markie Post blew me off like I was a POS, and I swear I wasn't trying anything cute with her.  I would have. She was gorgeous.  But I think she had some presidential level concerns at the time.  The Democratic convention was in town.  When I saw her on the street, I was kinda surprised, of course.  So I blurt out something like "Hey, Night Court lady."   And she looks at me with this kind of sneer like she just smelled a turd and goes "uh, yeah."   But, I've gotta say most of my fleeting encounters with the rich and famous went pretty well.

I always thought Markie Post was amazing to look at.  This is disappointing, but not wholly surprising.  I am not sure I have ever run into a famous actor, and I suspect if I did I wouldn't recognize them and at this point in my life, and I would certainly not know their name.

The folks I have actually spoken with tend to be sports stars and happen organically via someone else.  Sometimes by accident.

Here is an embarrassing story.  I was in LA for training, and the first night we went to a Mexican restaurant.  I don't know the folks I am with from Adam, but we met in the nametag line and decided to go eat after going to the bar.  One guy got absolutely trashed, like I figure he had never been out of town in his life and just went to crazytown.  In walks the Great One and his family.  This drunk guy just starts slobbering all over himself and talking loudly about how Joey Sakic is the true "Great One," etc.  Probably the last time this tool had been on ice he was spreading salt so he didn't fall down.  I was seriously embarrassed for our whole table.  The poor guy, Wayne, was at dinner with his family, including Paulina who was maybe 23 at the time and not famous.

I walked over to the table, apologized profusely for the toolbox at our table, mentioned I played on the table hockey game he gave Mario Lemieux (who lived briefly down the street from me with his billet family) back in '86/87 and I appreciated how he changed the way professional hockey was played.  I offered to buy the family a drink as an apology for the table as we were leaving.  Wayne said, No and was a little perturbed by the whole thing, and his wife, Janet said, "Wayne, clearly he isn't the cause of this, and we'd love to.  Thank you."  And there it is, my Wayne story.  Years later, and it still makes me cringe.  

Edited by Petethreeput
  • Like 3

Complaint/concern/question.  

I'm sick of going to golf courses that do not have a single bench anywhere on the course.  What is the reason? Fall apart? Too much upkeep, think everyone is in a cart so who needs a bench?   

I'm seriously considering designing a simple bench made out of Sapele or a tropical hardwood (Ipe, tigerwood, garapa, etc.) They would be heavy (not easily blown away nor destroyed) and would literally last 50 years with zero maintenance.   

Are courses willing to pay for nice benches?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mrgreen36 said:

I'm sick of going to golf courses that do not have a single bench anywhere on the course.  What is the reason? Fall apart? Too much upkeep, think everyone is in a cart so who needs a bench?   

I'm seriously considering designing a simple bench made out of Sapele or a tropical hardwood (Ipe, tigerwood, garapa, etc.) They would be heavy (not easily blown away nor destroyed) and would literally last 50 years with zero maintenance.   

I agree that there should be a few benches throughout the course, my course has 2, both on par 3’s, 1 of them is just behind the back tees and is useful, the other is near the trees, away from the tee boxes and is absolutely useless.  Now my regular group goes off early and normally have nobody in front of us, so we don’t have a need, but would still be nice to have a spot to sit even for a minute.

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

So we are down to the last 4 teams in the NHL playoffs.  Right now I’m leaning towards selecting the Dallas Stars to win the Cup.  My analysis on the 2 series.

Dallas/Edmonton:  if the Stars play defense like they did against Colorado they should be able to contain McDavid and his boys.  Goaltending advantage is with the Stars in this series. Dallas in 5

Florida/NY:  The Rangers definitely have the goaltending advantage, a lethal PP, but I like the grit Florida plays with.  Since I can’t stand the Rangers, I will take Florida in 7.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

31 minutes ago, Mrgreen36 said:

... Haha other than private courses, my experience is most courses don't wanna spend any money on anything unless they absolutely have to. Thankfully the excellent muni I play has some tacky benches on every hole that are sponsored by local businesses like shady Injury Lawyers and dubious Real Estate brokers. Small price to pay for a little comfort. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mrgreen36 said:

I have a set of teakwood Adirondack chairs on my front lawn.  Very heavy.  During the boisterous Winter winds everything else blows over... not them.  And not much maintenance.

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Haha other than private courses, my experience is most courses don't wanna spend any money on anything unless they absolutely have to. Thankfully the excellent muni I play has some tacky benches on every hole that are sponsored by local businesses like shady Injury Lawyers and dubious Real Estate brokers. Small price to pay for a little comfort. 

Oh, I hate those advertising benches.  When I go to the golf course I don't want to see tacky advertising or houses.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Oh, I hate those advertising benches.  When I go to the golf course I don't want to see tacky advertising or houses.

... Right there with you. But courses charge $250 - $400 here and those tacky benches help keep out $36 twilite sr walking rate at $36. When you play 4 to 5 times a week that can add up quickly.  Even the scorecard has tacky adds but at least the benches are off to the side and really not in plain view. Plus ya never know when you will need a good Injury Lawyer that will only take 50% of your settlement if they win after putting you in a fake neck brace. 🤑

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DLeightonReid said:

Have you experimented with lowering the loft on your driver paired with the Autoflex shaft?  With these lightweight, high launch shafts, I hit my driver best with the loft set at 7.5° or 8°.  Simply put, I am tryling to launch it high with low spin for maximum distance.  

... I do think many really don't understand how high a good drive should be. Although high launch, low spin isn't always the best combo as many need more spin to keep the ball in the air longer. The guys that carry the ball in the 300 range I have played with hit their drives insanely high and yes they have very low spin with that kind of swing speed, but the average Am's that carry it in the 190-220 range usually need more spin. Of course they think they cary it 220-250 🤪. I gave my 81yr old pard some Kirkland balls and his carry distance increased right around 10 yds because he was getting an appropriate spin for his swing speed while they spun too much for mine. 

... Answering your query, I play my Qi10 clicked down twice, which is where I played my Ventus Red that launched just a little  higher than my Autoflex. I really like the trajectory I am getting from the AF. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petethreeput said:

I always thought Markie Post was amazing to look at.  This is disappointing, but not wholly surprising.  I am not sure I have ever run into a famous actor, and I suspect if I did I wouldn't recognize them and at this point in my life, and I would certainly not know their name.

The folks I have actually spoken with tend to be sports stars and happen organically via someone else.  Sometimes by accident.

Here is an embarrassing story.  I was in LA for training, and the first night we went to a Mexican restaurant.  I don't know the folks I am with from Adam, but we met in the nametag line and decided to go eat after going to the bar.  One guy got absolutely trashed, like I figure he had never been out of town in his life and just went to crazytown.  In walks the Great One and his family.  This drunk guy just starts slobbering all over himself and talking loudly about how Joey Sakic is the true "Great One," etc.  Probably the last time this tool had been on ice he was spreading salt so he didn't fall down.  I was seriously embarrassed for our whole table.  The poor guy, Wayne, was at dinner with his family, including Paulina who was maybe 23 at the time and not famous.

I walked over to the table, apologized profusely for the toolbox at our table, mentioned I played on the table hockey game he gave Mario Lemieux (who lived briefly down the street from me with his billet family) back in '86/87 and I appreciated how he changed the way professional hockey was played.  I offered to buy the family a drink as an apology for the table as we were leaving.  Wayne said, No and was a little perturbed by the whole thing, and his wife, Janet said, "Wayne, clearly he isn't the cause of this, and we'd love to.  Thank you."  And there it is, my Wayne story.  Years later, and it still makes me cringe.  

Pretty cool meeting Gretzky, even under the crappy circumstances.   Like you, I don't think I'd recognize any of the modern day actors unless they were ones who had also been around for a while.  I've watched that show where the celebrities sing in those goofy costumes and every time there was a big reveal my reaction was "who the hell is that?"  Markie was an absolute smoke show in person.  Years later I heard she and Slick Willy were supposed to have been hooking up.   I'd have to give him props for that.  Big step up from Monica.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrgreen36 said:

As one who walks (when it's not too hot) I always appreciate a bench a few times a round.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petethreeput said:

... It is a career filled with constant rejection, especially early. Like Tom Brady that still festers being selected in the 6th round, but actors go through that multiple times a day. When you are a salesman it is easier to miss a sale because someone isn't interested in your product, but tougher as an actor when your product is you. I have found it basically produces two kinds of people. Those that are grateful for their breaks and success that almost always recognize the crew and extras. Or those that feel like they got a raw deal and have been mistreated, then once they become successful feel like the world owes them. They rarely recognize the crew and certainly not extras that are below them. 🙄 

... In other words the same thing I always say, people fall into one of two categories as they are considerate or inconsiderate. That pretty much covers all behavior and explains why some are good people and others are just unpleasant to be around in every walk of life. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

So we are down to the last 4 teams in the NHL playoffs.  Right now I’m leaning towards selecting the Dallas Stars to win the Cup.  My analysis on the 2 series.

Dallas/Edmonton:  if the Stars play defense like they did against Colorado they should be able to contain McDavid and his boys.  Goaltending advantage is with the Stars in this series. Dallas in 5

Florida/NY:  The Rangers definitely have the goaltending advantage, a lethal PP, but I like the grit Florida plays with.  Since I can’t stand the Rangers, I will take Florida in 7.  

Thank you BFish for your thoughts but you have dismissed the team that I think will hoist the Cup:  Edmonton Oilers! 

If (and I know it's a big if) they can get Skinner confident I like their chances.  They have the firepower to win some 5-3, 6-4 games.  I'm still not totally sold on Oettinger.

Edmonton in 7

Florida is well-coached, nasty, mean, hungry and have fantastic goaltending.  I think their physicality will wear down New York.  Barkov is amazing and will get chances on the PP as the Rangers lose their cool and retaliate against the pesky Panther pressure. 

Florida in 5

Edmonton over Florida in an epic 7 game battle for the Cup

Season 4 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

Edited by NCLancer
  • Like 2