2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Left wrist issue at transition and trouble extending through ball

uscheese

Two things I’m really struggling with right now are 1 - my wrists break down at top of backswing and left wrist cups and gets me steep…I’m sure I’m pulling the handle too hard but really struggling to fix this and 2 - I’m chicken winging or short arming through impact and my left wrist cups even more causing pretty massive hooks…I fought a slice for years and I think I’ve naturally over compensated…

seeing anything obvious here besides an ugly swing?  13 hdcp, early 50s…frustrated 😫

oh don’t mind the mess or the planemate attachment on the club!

Edited by uscheese
Attachment

Not getting enough arm depth on backswing via arm connection to torso.  Folding the right arm properly earlier is a start to helping the depth issue.  No need to be so enamored with capturing more width in backswing. 

Edited by BALLYBUNION

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

8 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Not getting enough arm depth on backswing via arm connection to torso.  Folding the right arm properly earlier is a start to helping the depth issue.  No need to be so enamored with capturing more width in backswing. 

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it....I'm a bit confused though.  Are you saying I should have more depth (keep the right arm straighter?) in the backswing?  Or that I'm just bending it incorrectly?  Your last line was what is throwing me off.

Will do this is steps.   For address, place an alignment stick on the ground touching the trail shoe parallel to the target line, like this.  The stick end should be touching the outside edge of the shoe where that little bump is on the outside of your foot below the little toe.   Like this:  

s-l1600.jpg.46f2248607c8fca8496338c00fe5ade5.jpg

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

You lift the club away from your body versus use your body to swing the club.   Your trail wrist needs to extend, ie bend backward - you don't so your lead wrist extends..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CArLoP8llFa/

Or use a stick

On the trail wrist

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

21 minutes ago, glk said:

You lift the club away from your body versus use your body to swing the club.   Your trail wrist needs to extend, ie bend backward - you don't so your lead wrist extends..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CArLoP8llFa/

Or use a stick

On the trail wrist

good stuff I 100% suffer from the suck inside…Will work with these

@uscheeseBasically what you're looking for is when the club shaft reaches first parallel it is DIRECTLY over the orange stick both actually AND perspective wise from your point of view.   In fact, if you were to freeze at first parallel and very slowly lower the club downward you would find it falls directly on top of the orange stick with the butt end touching the shoe at the same point the butt of the orange stick does.   You suck it inside because you don't know how to get inside without sucking it in.  This will help and is a basic way to do so.  

That's the objective, fiddle around, and see what you come up with sequence wise to accomplish this.  

Edited by BALLYBUNION

Yea your arms work away from you some initially, but they get to a good place eventually at the top.

Yea, you’re a little cupped at the top from a late wrist set, but again, not terminal.

The issue is your arms sequence late because your right hip fires out very early and doesn’t allow your arms to ever link up and they trail badly as a result.

Your supposed to extend your lead wrist through import, yours is just too much because your arms are so far behind.

You can make a case that the arms working away from you and wrists setting late are part of the cause of this, but again, you’re not in a terminal position and even if your takeaway and wrist position at the top were perfect, this issue will still remain.

Posting a face on will show a lot more.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

26 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

@uscheeseBasically what you're looking for is when the club shaft reaches first parallel it is DIRECTLY over the orange stick both actually AND perspective wise from your point of view.   In fact, if you were to freeze at first parallel and very slowly lower the club downward you would find it falls directly on top of the orange stick with the butt end touching the shoe at the same point the butt of the orange stick does.   You suck it inside because you don't know how to get inside without sucking it in.  This will help and is a basic way to do so.  

That's the objective, fiddle around, and see what you come up with sequence wise to accomplish this.  

would this drill action be correct?

That point where your arms go from going up to going up and away from the ball...at that exact point, start moving down with the chest and a tiny bit with the legs.

Your butt moves toward the ball in the downswing. You want to downshift the upper body and legs. A bit of squat feeling and a bigger feeling of chest going toward the ground.

Edited by getitdaily

15 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Yea your arms work away from you some initially, but they get to a good place eventually at the top.

Yea, you’re a little cupped at the top from a late wrist set, but again, not terminal.

The issue is your arms sequence late because your right hip fires out very early and doesn’t allow your arms to ever link up and they trail badly as a result.

Your supposed to extend your lead wrist through import, yours is just too much because your arms are so far behind.

You can make a case that the arms working away from you and wrists setting late are part of the cause of this, but again, you’re not in a terminal position and even if your takeaway and wrist position at the top were perfect, this issue will still remain.

Posting a face on will show a lot more.

34 minutes ago, uscheese said:

would this drill action be correct?

@uscheese  Way better than before, back away from the ball a bit so you have 4 gently spread finger width between thigh and butt end of club.  Now, here's the more difficult part.

Take the hands and arms out of the process,  right now you are arms and hands to accomplish task, use big muscles of back.    Back up a little, move stick with you.     It's gonna feel weird, but see what you come up with.  Hint: lead shoulder will go down a little more than you are probably used to.  

Edited by BALLYBUNION

7 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

@uscheese  Way better than before, back away from the ball a bit so you have 4 gently spread finger width between thigh and butt end of club.  Now, here's the more difficult part.

Take the hands and arms out of the process,  right now you are arms and hands to accomplish task, use big muscles of back.    Back up a little.    It's gonna feel weird, but see what you come up with.  Hint: lead shoulder will go down a little more than you are probably used to.  

thank you!  I’ll give that a try…I often wonder if I’m too far away from the ball or too close and I’d love to get my shoulders less flat.

36 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

That point where your arms go from going up to going up and away from the ball...at that exact point, start moving down with the chest and a tiny bit with the legs.

Your butt moves toward the ball in the downswing. You want to downshift the upper body and legs. A bit of squat feeling and a bigger feeling of chest going toward the ground.

I would love to figure this out but anytime I try to “squat” I hit seven inches behind the ball…I def goat hump but I think it’s a reaction of awful hand or arm path.  Thanks!!!

15 minutes ago, uscheese said:

thank you!  I’ll give that a try…I often wonder if I’m too far away from the ball or too close and I’d love to get my shoulders less flat.

@uscheese  This is your start to closeness and flatness being tossed into the trash bin.  But remember, even though an arm set toward the top may find a top in not too bad a position it was continually loading under momentum to correct from starting inside from way outside, and that momentum then becomes a hard animal to corral in transition.  

Edited by BALLYBUNION

Rotating your right hip around and behind you better and delay when it comes out will help many of the other issues you are having.

However, getting your lead arm working correctly in transition is everything.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Rotating your right hip around and behind you better and delay when it comes out will help many of the other issues you are having.

However, getting your lead arm working correctly in transition is everything.

thank you Monte…I’m a broom force and no cast owner 😉

do you have a drill or feel for the lead arm?  I’m guessing I need to shallow but I’ve had such a hard time with that.

32 minutes ago, uscheese said:

thank you Monte…I’m a broom force and no cast owner 😉

do you have a drill or feel for the lead arm?  I’m guessing I need to shallow but I’ve had such a hard time with that.

The drill where you bring hands in front of right thigh before you turn 

• Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

If you can get you and the club on the proper plane going back you'll fix your flat baseball swing downswing. 

Your shaft and clubface are on a plane 3 feet above the ball. You can hit the ball hard and never fear where it's going to go if you get you, the shaft and face aimed properly in the backswing. 

280403870_June172023.mp4_snapshot_00.01_2023_06.18_08_57_38.jpg.1bada30a17d3d189d5b295af22fab3c2.jpg

More left side bend to get the shoulders on plane and get the club on the same plane as your left arm and hand going back.

The right arm should start folding as your hands pass your right foot. The right arm folding will cause the face to open and bring the shaft onto the inclined plane by P3.