T.V. recommended for golf

playit

If your talking about seeing the ball off a driver or mid/long iron, I don’t think any TV will solve that problem. If you are struggling to see short pitches, chips, and putts, then maybe a bigger TV will help. Also try adjusting the picture settings into the TV and most of all make sure that 4K smoothing effect is turned OFF. 

This might help understand the picture adjustments. https://whatthetech.tv/change-the-out-of-the-box-settings-before-kickoff/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sp4zRX said:

what kind of TV do you have?

It is a Samsung 50 inch, I was thinking it is about ten years old but a web page says 2019? I don't recall buying it that recently... Model UN50RU7100FXZA. I don't recall paying but about $500 to $600. Page below says...

Samsung UN50RU7100FXZA FLAT 50'' 4K UHD 7 Series Smart TV, 50-Inch

Link to my tv -- https://capitaloneshopping.com/p/samsung-un-50-ru-7100-fxza-flat-/CGV696TGDF?run=36f395a5-bcb8-41ed-9a6d-c1ca7212b18d

The best tv picture I have ever seen was on a Sony and that was 15-20 years ago! The man could afford whatever and, wow, that picture was stunning. I don't know if TVs have gotten better or worse since then. Seems they would be better but they might have changed things due to price because TVs these days are pretty affordable. I tend to favor Samsung but I'm open to whatever. I also prefer not to spend megabucks. The place in my room for tv, I think a 65 inch would do nicely.

Edited by playit

1 hour ago, playit said:

It is a Samsung 50 inch, I was thinking it is about ten years old but a web page says 2019? I don't recall buying it that recently... Model UN50RU7100FXZA. I don't recall paying but about $500 to $6000. Page below says...

Samsung UN50RU7100FXZA FLAT 50'' 4K UHD 7 Series Smart TV, 50-Inch

My tv -- https://capitaloneshopping.com/p/samsung-un-50-ru-7100-fxza-flat-/CGV696TGDF?run=36f395a5-bcb8-41ed-9a6d-c1ca7212b18d

The best tv picture I have ever seen was on a Sony and that was 15-20 years ago! The man could afford whatever and, wow, that picture was stunning. I don't know if TVs have gotten better or worse since then. Seems they would be better but they might have changed things due to price because TVs these days are pretty affordable. I tend to favor Samsung but I'm open to whatever. I also prefer not to spend megabucks. The place in my room for tv, I think a 65 inch would do nicely.

This may or may not help you but costs nothing to try. 

Try setting the picture mode to ‘Movie’

Then in ‘Expert Picture Settings

Backlight 45

Brightness 0

Contrast 45

Sharpness 0
Color 25

Tint G/R 0
Auto Motion Plus Setting

-Set to judder reduction - 3

Contrast Enhancer OFF

Color Tone - Warm2

White Balance - Default

Gamma BT.1886

- set to 0

RGB only - OFF

Color Space - Auto

Depending on the brightness of your room you can try adjusting Backlight. Increase for brighter rooms, decrease for darker rooms. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, playit said:

And your TV is as good as anything else you can get. I don’t think a new TV will help. Another thing to consider is how you are streaming the golf content. Are you streaming from a Roku on Peacock or do you have Xfinity cable service, Verizon Fios, or Satellite TV? Internet streaming, while still decent, will give you the worst picture. The other services will provide the best pictures. 

Edit: Full Disclaimer - I am not a TV guru. I am just a guy that struggled with the picture on my Samsung TV too.

Edited by Sp4zRX
Disclaimer

16 minutes ago, Sp4zRX said:

And your TV is as good as anything else you can get. I don’t think a new TV will help. Another thing to consider is how you are streaming the golf content. Are you streaming from a Roku on Peacock or do you have Xfinity cable service, Verizon Fios, or Satellite TV? Internet streaming, while still decent, will give you the worst picture. The other services will provide the best pictures. 

Edit: Full Disclaimer - I am not a TV guru. I am just a guy that struggled with the picture on my Samsung TV too.

Ok, thanks, maybe it is the streaming because I just got Verizon internet. I have a Verizon internet box, whatever that is, and also a hotspot gizmo and I have used both to test them out. I couldn't tell a difference. I am coming from DSL internet through the phone company. I use youtubetv for all the channels. One thing I could do is look at it on DSL, same tourney, same golf shot and see how it looks, as I do still have DSL until I cancel it. Thanks for your info in this thread.

15 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

I sell TV's as part of my job.  Samsung is great, but Sony OLED is hands down the best on the market.

Murphy76, how much more expensive is a Sony OLED? I don't suppose Sony OLED was available 15-20 years ago was it? As mentioned in this thread, the best picture I have ever seen was back then and a friend had a Sony that was STUNNING in clarity.

I saw a 65 inch Samsung at Sam's the other day and it was $500. Model UN65CU7999DXZA, whatever that means... 65 4K CU7 UHD SMART is what it says. TIA.

EDIT:  Never mind, I see that they are $1900 to $2800. That is a LOT more lol.

Edited by playit

Picture is best on my very large Sony and the small one, is really good on my Samsung as well.  Just a matter of dialing in settings OP, the TV you have should be plenty good for golf - see advice above and doing some Googling about various settings and possible adjustments, can take some dialing in, but depending on lighting conditions at the tourney and angles it can be hard to see balls land on greens no matter what the TV is set to.  

There are some decent review sites out there as well so take a look at what they are saying about the particular TVs you are interested in.  

Edited by Hawkeye77

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Picture is best on my very large Sony and the small one, is really good on my Samsung as well.  Just a matter of dialing in settings OP, the TV you have should be plenty good for golf - see advice above and doing some Googling about various settings and possible adjustments, can take some dialing in, but depending on lighting conditions at the tourney and angles it can be hard to see balls land on greens no matter what the TV is set to.  

Yes, you are right about golf balls being problematic. The British Open each year is the worst for me. Not sure why. Lighting maybe. A more northern latitude?

Just now, playit said:

Yes, you are right about golf balls being problematic. The British Open each year is the worst for me. Not sure why. Lighting maybe. A more northern latitude?

Well, they do show up better when it's cold, wet and cloudy and yes, seems like links venues, late in the day, still bright and no clouds aren't ideal (which when you think about it, aren't ideal conditions for taking photographs either).  

Honestly unless you find a setting that can enhance I don’t think any new tv will help you.  The problem lies with the video being distributed, ie the people broadcasting the event.  They are only allowed certain camera positions and zooming in to track the ball whether in flight or on the ground is challenging, especially when dealing with something that is seconds long in duration.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 11:09 PM, playit said:

Does anyone know much about t.v. sets, is there any brand/model or feature that helps you be able see the ball better on televised golf?

Do you watch a lot of European events?  I find it much more difficult to follow the ball in their coverage.  Must be the equipment they use.