2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Racism at the Driving Range rant

While waiting for a station to open at the driving range another golfer strikes up a conversation with me. No problem, I am just stretching. The conversation turns to the people currently occupying some of the booths in front of us (happen to be Korean). He proceeds to call them "evil people" and "bad people" out of nowhere. He says all this loud enough for everyone in the area to hear it. They all turn around and look at us. Now I am guilty of "racism by association". I do not like confrontation and I kind of was wincing and turned my head away from him. What else could I have done? Do I confront him on his classless ignorance? How would you deal with this situation? This is not the first time this has happened to me (normally on the golf course).

For the record, both the offending party and myself are white.

I apologize in advance if this rant offends some people.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awkward... I think in that situation if you want to not be associated with said racist you need to stop him and clearly state you don't agree with his sentiments toward "evil koreans".. Sorry to hear that happened to you, its a sad thing when people are still so blind as to hold these disgusting beliefs.

Thank you for the reply. The only thing that came to mind while he was talking to me was "Just because I am white, doesn't mean I am ignorant white trash like you." I don't think that would have been "tactful" or resolved matters. He stopped talking when I turned away. I think he got the point but it still left me quite upset that I let myself get involved in an uncomfortable situation.

Awkward... I think in that situation if you want to not be associated with said racist you need to stop him and clearly state you don't agree with his sentiments toward "evil koreans".. Sorry to hear that happened to you, its a sad thing when people are still so blind as to hold these disgusting beliefs.

Thank you for the reply. The only thing that came to mind while he was talking to me was "Just because I am white, doesn't mean I am ignorant white trash like you." I don't think that would have been "tactful" or resolved matters. He stopped talking when I turned away. I think he got the point but it still left me quite upset that I let myself get involved in an uncomfortable situation.

There is no way to argue with that type of ignorance. Turning away, or better yet, walking away was the only way to deal with him. JMO

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I havent read any rplies yet, but I would have not allowed him to rant. As soon as he spit out of his mouth something offensive I would have chimed in. "Hey hey hold on now. Thats enough of that". or something like that and walked away. I dont let that type of stuff go down to long in my presense. I like to nip it quick and get out of dodge.

While waiting for a station to open at the driving range another golfer strikes up a conversation with me. No problem, I am just stretching. The conversation turns to the people currently occupying some of the booths in front of us (happen to be Korean). He proceeds to call them "evil people" and "bad people" out of nowhere. He says all this loud enough for everyone in the area to hear it. They all turn around and look at us. Now I am guilty of "racism by association". I do not like confrontation and I kind of was wincing and turned my head away from him. What else could I have done? Do I confront him on his classless ignorance? How would you deal with this situation? This is not the first time this has happened to me (normally on the golf course).

Good point EASYYY. If he had just walked away as I said, the guy may have been to ignorant to understand why!

Kevin

I havent read any rplies yet, but I would have not allowed him to rant. As soon as he spit out of his mouth something offensive I would have chimed in. "Hey hey hold on now. Thats enough of that". or something like that and walked away. I dont let that type of stuff go down to long in my presense. I like to nip it quick and get out of dodge.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

As his remarks were loud enough for them to hear,

then so would my reply be, something like "that is

stupid and I don't agree with you at all", then simply walk away

to distance myself from him.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

I would have walked away but I had been waiting for the person to finish up at this station 30 to 45 minutes and all 100 stations were full with about 40/50 people waiting for next. If I walked away I would probably have to wait another 30 to 45 minutes at another station. Besides, why should I inconvenience myself? This idiot should be the one to go.

It's funny that you mention that. My wife is Taiwanese. I guess in hindsight that would have definitely shut him up. The guy who builds my clubs, who is Korean, told me I should have said that, too. I get dumb when I am angry and can't come up with these things.

Let him have his rant and then Tell him your wife is Korean! - I've used this tactic several times and love to see their embarrasment - it always works!

Let him have his rant and then Tell him your wife is Korean! - I've used this tactic several times and love to see their embarrasment - it always works!

LOL, that would be something to see... :)

Yeah that's an awkward situation, especially if other people are around. I think like people have said already just turn away from him, ignore him, etc. It's a shame that some people are still like that...

It's funny that you mention that. My wife is Taiwanese. I guess in hindsight that would have definitely shut him up. The guy who builds my clubs, who is Korean, told me I should have said that, too. I get dumb when I am angry and can't come up with these things.

I've used the "My mom is ______________" response before.

In truth, she's just as white as me, but people like that p!ss me off.

I get dumb when I am angry and can't come up with these things.

This happens to me all the time. Somebody says or does something stupid and I am so shocked and/or startled by their actions that I completely blank on what to say/do. I would like to say that I would have stopped the guy, or shut him up. But I probably would have walked away speechless.

All ya' gotta' say is this........"my friend, as Harvey Penick said, if your a golfer your MY friend....and those folk's are golfers" and turned around and gone back to your biz.......screw a-holes like that.......they piss me off.....he probably owns a convenience store and the competition is owned by Koreans........and the Koreans are working their asses off to be successful.......and they are kicking his a** in business......and he doesn't want to work THAT hard......:).......to bad a-holes like that are around, .but they ARE around.......and on "all sides of the ball"......hehehe

Sadly enough that is sad to hear that this day and age that people will say stupid and ignorant things in the open for everyone to hear, much less involve innocent by standers into the mix. Like most other posters by saying something to the affect that the comments are "unwarranted, uncalled for or I don't agree with you at all" would have put that person in his place, and made him walk.

Ignorance breeds ignorance!!

Your white acquaintance is actually not alone in his thinking. Maaany people feel similarly towards Koreans. The reason why there are stereotypes is because it is based on some sort of reality. You've got to admit. Some of these Koreans on ranges have notoriously bad etiquette range behavior. They act like they own the place sometimes. I asked my dad, who is a native Korean, as to why some Korean men in his generation act the way they do in certain situations. He mentioned the experiences he had while serving in the Korean army from ages 18-21. Some of the things they did were unthinkable. First starters, how bout' them prostitution farms they kept on their bases. Impressionable young men during their early 20s. No wonder that full into their 40s, 50s and 60s, they're still full of machismo sometimes.

That's about as awkward and unpleasant a situation as can get at a range. Just annoy him with manners and say, "Sir I do not share your opinion." and then turn away from him. He can't get mad at you because you were polite and the point is made. But I probably would have just said "wow" and ignored him.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

What does that have to do with people minding their own business, hitting balls at the range? The people hitting in their stations got their before I did and I have to wait like everyone else. It doesn't make them bad or evil people.

Evil would be if they had a mind reading probes that knew that I wanted to go to the range at 4:30PM and they all get in their cars to beat me to the range. That would be evil bad!

Your white acquaintance is actually not alone in his thinking. Maaany people feel similarly towards Koreans. The reason why there are stereotypes is because it is based on some sort of reality. You've got to admit. Some of these Koreans on ranges have notoriously bad etiquette range behavior. They act like they own the place sometimes. I asked my dad, who is a native Korean, as to why some Korean men in his generation act the way they do in certain situations. He mentioned the experiences he had while serving in the Korean army from ages 18-21. Some of the things they did were unthinkable. First starters, how bout' them prostitution farms they kept on their bases. Impressionable young men during their early 20s. No wonder that full into their 40s, 50s and 60s, they're still full of machismo sometimes.

I misinterpretted I guess. I didn't know the guy was just simply trying to wait for a spot. And then said those things.

Wouldn't his comments, however, lead you to believe that he just wanted to vent some frustration he had over time against some of the Koreans at your driving range?

What does that have to do with people minding their own business, hitting balls at the range? The people hitting in their stations got their before I did and I have to wait like everyone else. It doesn't make them bad or evil people.

Evil would be if they had a mind reading probes that knew that I wanted to go to the range at 4:30PM and they all get in their cars to beat me to the range. That would be evil bad!

I misinterpretted I guess. I didn't know the guy was just simply trying to wait for a spot. And then said those things.

Wouldn't his comments, however, lead you to believe that he just wanted to vent some frustration he had over time against some of the Koreans at your driving range?

You might consider refraining from posting in this thread before you are in too deep for us to pull you out!

:) :( :cheesy:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

We have a large group of Korean golfers at the range I go to most and they all seem very polite and friendly. the only problem I have is that I'm 6'7" and feel like Godzilla entering Tokyo harbor when I walk up :)

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

You might consider refraining from posting in this thread before you are in too deep for us to pull you out!

:) :( :cheesy:

Kevin

I'm not condoning the guy's actions if that's what you're implying Kevcarter. Just an exercise in human psychology as to why people would say things at certain times to certain people. Obviously, it doesn't make it right to say anything racial. But he did. So I just wanted to know why. It's just too easy to say he's ignorant....even though he is in this case.

My next question is why does this crap always happen to me? Do I look approachable? Do I look ignorant? This topic has come up more then a few times during my rounds over the last couple of years.

I am 32 years old and 6'3" 275lb. I bounced to pay my way through college. I guess I should stop shaving and grow my goatee again. Maybe then I will be less approachable.

My next question is why does this crap always happen to me? Do I look approachable? Do I look ignorant? This topic has come up more then a few times during my rounds over the last couple of years.

Post a picture of yourself...and your taiwanese girlfriend!

in reference to the godzilla comment..

wtf is that. are you implying we are all midgets? the younger/later generation koreans are getting physically bigger, a lot of it has to do w/ diet difference between older generations of koreans and younger generations eating diets that promote physical growth. don't generlize that we're all midgets and physically inferior to all mighty whiteys like you.

i guess us nippers should stay on tourspecgolf.com huh?

dont' ppl understand every race has their share of trash? why even go to the level of generalizing of the entire race about anything?

TSi3 9

TSi3 15 3wd
GBB Epic 19 Hybrid / TSi2 21 7wd

Apex Pro 26
‘21 T100
MD5 50s/54X/58W/60T
PXG Blackjack/Odyssey 7/Futura 5S