Racism at the Driving Range rant

in reference to the godzilla comment..

wtf is that. are you implying we are all midgets? the younger/later generation koreans are getting physically bigger, a lot of it has to do w/ diet difference between older generations of koreans and younger generations eating diets that promote physical growth. don't generlize that we're all midgets and physically inferior to all mighty whiteys like you.

i guess us nippers should stay on tourspecgolf.com huh?

dont' ppl understand every race has their share of trash? why even go to the level of generalizing of the entire race about anything?

Gee, you're reading way too much into that comment.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in reference to the godzilla comment..

wtf is that. are you implying we are all midgets? the younger/later generation koreans are getting physically bigger, a lot of it has to do w/ diet difference between older generations of koreans and younger generations eating diets that promote physical growth. don't generlize that we're all midgets and physically inferior to all mighty whiteys like you.

i guess us nippers should stay on tourspecgolf.com huh?

I don't think there was anything racial intended there... 6'7 towers over most people anyway, not just Koreans. Most people that meet him anyway would probably comment on how tall he is, so uhh, yeah. :)

To this point, this thread has been fairly civil. Please let's keep it that way. I'm sure alot of members here have seen similar instances with ignorance at the driving ranges.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

what's the point of using the godzilla analogy? what are you trying to convey w/ it? how else would you expect someone with a remote ounce of asian pride to interpret that?

TSi3 9

TSi3 15 3wd
GBB Epic 19 Hybrid / TSi2 21 7wd

Apex Pro 26
‘21 T100
MD5 50s/54X/58W/60T
PXG Blackjack/Odyssey 7/Futura 5S

I misinterpretted I guess. I didn't know the guy was just simply trying to wait for a spot. And then said those things.

Wouldn't his comments, however, lead you to believe that he just wanted to vent some frustration he had over time against some of the Koreans at your driving range?

You might consider refraining from posting in this thread before you are in too deep for us to pull you out!

:) :( :cheesy:

Kevin

I'm not condoning the guy's actions if that's what you're implying Kevcarter. Just an exercise in human psychology as to why people would say things at certain times to certain people. Obviously, it doesn't make it right to say anything racial. But he did. So I just wanted to know why. It's just too easy to say he's ignorant....even though he is in this case.

a dumb comment is a dumb comment or in this case an ignorant one. why would you want to psycho analysis this on the board? do you think the original poster stuck around to ask this person why he felt this way, or was he merely a bad day? think about it? arbitrage seemed to be fairly embarrassed and appalled by this person's comments, let alone, standing next to him for others around thinking that he shares this person's view. i don't think so.

ask yourself would say something like "evil people" so loud that everyone can you here you just cuz you were waiting for a spot, and you directed it towards another person of color? i don't think you would.

what's the point of using the godzilla analogy? what are you trying to convey w/ it? how else would you expect someone with a remote ounce of asian pride to interpret that?

So you are implying that any asian who is not offended by the Godzilla comment has no Asian pride? Or that only Asians view Tourspecgolf? He was making a satirical comment and maybe a PM to him expressing your feelings would be a better way to communicate than your current path.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

With all due respect - please stop race baiting. I'm Asian, and what you're doing is embarrassing. You're trying to pick a fight, imho, when there isn't any. There was no racism implied imho.

That makes us all look bad, b/c of your actions, imho.

Robb

SMGolfer,

Thank you for your feedback. You are correct that I was appalled and very embarrassed by the idiots commentary. Every eye in the area was locked in on him and then on me after finding out who he was speaking to. I was burning up inside that he got me involved in his public display of ignorance. I usually keep my mouth shut when I am angry because nothing "productive" comes out. I started this thread to see how other people deal with idiots at the driving range/course and had hoped it wouldn't devolve to the level of race baiting.

Thank you to everyone who showed me different methods of handling this situation.

Arbitrage

a dumb comment is a dumb comment or in this case an ignorant one. why would you want to psycho analysis this on the board? do you think the original poster stuck around to ask this person why he felt this way, or was he merely a bad day? think about it? arbitrage seemed to be fairly embarrassed and appalled by this person's comments, let alone, standing next to him for others around thinking that he shares this person's view. i don't think so.

ask yourself would say something like "evil people" so loud that everyone can you here you just cuz you were waiting for a spot, and you directed it towards another person of color? i don't think you would.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

He proceeds to call them "evil people" and "bad people"...

"Hmmm...Hey, what kind of irons are those," you ask as you pull his 9-iron out of his bag.

"I wonder if these were forged in Korea or China?," you ask rhetorically.

"They say you can tell by the feel," you preface as you whack him in the head using an over-the-top move.

"It's hard to tell," you say as you unleash a barrage of four-barrel hits to his crown.

"A little hollow feeling.....I'm thinking made in Korea," you muse, replacing the 9-iron and moving his bag aside.

"HEY, WE'VE GOT AN OPENING OVER HERE!"

:)

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

And then I woke up... :) My bouncing days are long gone. While it would give me great pleasure to use his head to demonstrate the one plane swing I think walking away or a comment that would single him out as an idiot would do in this situation.

"Hmmm...Hey, what kind of irons are those," you ask as you pull his 9-iron out of his bag.

"They say you can tell by the feel," you preface as you whack him in the head using an over-the-top move.

"It's hard to tell," you say as you unleash a barrage of four-barrel hits to his crown.

"A little hollow feeling.....I'm thinking made in Korea," you muse, replacing the 9-iron and moving his bag aside.

:(

While waiting for a station to open at the driving range another golfer strikes up a conversation with me. No problem, I am just stretching. The conversation turns to the people currently occupying some of the booths in front of us (happen to be Korean). He proceeds to call them "evil people" and "bad people" out of nowhere. He says all this loud enough for everyone in the area to hear it. They all turn around and look at us. Now I am guilty of "racism by association". I do not like confrontation and I kind of was wincing and turned my head away from him. What else could I have done? Do I confront him on his classless ignorance? How would you deal with this situation? This is not the first time this has happened to me (normally on the golf course).

For the record, both the offending party and myself are white.

I apologize in advance if this rant offends some people.

Tough spot you were in. I would have WANTED to tell the guy he is a jerk and then apologized to the people he offended, or maybe I would have just wanted to kick his butt.

I honestly probably would have walked away from him. I might have then told the people he offended to pay no attention to the ignorant fool.

Or the timeless classic "Bro, I just got out of prison after 10 years and you look good." If that doesn't clear the area, I don't know what will. :)

I would have said: "Bro, I just got out of prison after 10 years. You have not seen evil yet."

Dont ignore the guy or walk away...just ask him what he means and have him explain his position. I'm sure the only reason he thinks Koreans are evil is because that's what our media told him.

I love talkin to ppl that share different views than me, it give me an opportunity to learn why they fell 'that way'.

:)

Thats very funny

here's my take. I can't figure it out. I run a pro shop and am a starter 6 days a week. most are great, they give me tips and I play rounds with thier kids, and they are some of my best guests. but some...no matter how much I try to help, have no problem showing up right when my twilight rates start (busiest time of day) never calling and reserving a time. and when I tell them it's gonna be like an hour, they look at me like I am screwing them over. I explain to them politly, and usually after a couple weeks they get it. But honestly some never do. I treat everybody equal, it's my job but there are some people out there, all races that just don't care about anybody but themselves

I run into morons like that at the range by me too (may be the same range, i'm on the other side of the nassau/queens border). I usually turn to them, call them a rascist moron while taking out my sandwedge (I can hit anything with my sandwedge) and then turn my back to them. Morons exist everywhere and come from all backgrounds.

This incident happened at Spring Rock driving range.

I run into morons like that at the range by me too (may be the same range, i'm on the other side of the nassau/queens border).

This incident happened at Spring Rock driving range.

I run into morons like that at the range by me too (may be the same range, i'm on the other side of the nassau/queens border).

Over in New Hyde PArk?? I know it well, it is my offseason range. I don't get there that often, but as the weather warms, i hope to mroe often. I have run into anti-asian sentiment there a few times. Perhaps we will run into each other, i'm easy to recognize, my driver headcover is otto the syracuse mascot.

I think I have seen you before. I am the one blocking out the sun when I walk by your booth. I am taking lessons with Kirk Oguri. Kirk was 4 booths down from where I was waiting that day and that guy was annoying the crap out out him by taking practice swings that smacked into the ground right behind Kirk. In hindsight, this may have been what set the guy off. Who knows?

Over in New Hyde PArk?? I know it well, it is my offseason range. I don't get there that often, but as the weather warms, i hope to mroe often. I have run into anti-asian sentiment there a few times. Perhaps we will run into each other, i'm easy to recognize, my driver headcover is otto the syracuse mascot.

My next question is why does this crap always happen to me? Do I look approachable? Do I look ignorant? This topic has come up more then a few times during my rounds over the last couple of years.

Funny you say that, I, like you, also attract every racist from miles around. It must be a size thing, I am a bit larger than you and with a shaved head, these people seem to latch on to me. It does get very tiring after a while, usually ends up with some no-mark racist trying to pick a fight with me for being a lover of whatever race/nationalty/sexualy orientation etc I am choosing not to slate... Very small minds many people have.

The best way to deal with these people is either a swift LW to the head, or simply start windmilling him, it looks fun and is effective.

Thankfully, I don't have to hear stuff like that at my local range. The owner is Korean. He also happens to be a great guy to talk to.

The OP's story is sad because I have played golf with people from all walks of life, and it's always a pleasure to meet people that love the game the way I do. I always get to listen to and share funny stories about their lives on and off the course.

If you don't like what the guy is saying, change the subject or walk away with a "nice meeting you." You are highly unlikely to eliminate bigotry in a single conversation, much less if you attempt to get violent as others have suggested.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

My cop friend told me that when responding to a call the initial blame usually lies with the bigger person. Since I am the bigger person 99.44% of the time I choose not to get physical with people. Besides, I am an adult with responsibilities. I am not about to ruin my life for some ignorant inbred racist.

My next question is why does this crap always happen to me? Do I look approachable? Do I look ignorant? This topic has come up more then a few times during my rounds over the last couple of years.

Funny you say that, I, like you, also attract every racist from miles around. It must be a size thing, I am a bit larger than you and with a shaved head, these people seem to latch on to me. It does get very tiring after a while, usually ends up with some no-mark racist trying to pick a fight with me for being a lover of whatever race/nationalty/sexualy orientation etc I am choosing not to slate... Very small minds many people have.

The best way to deal with these people is either a swift LW to the head, or simply start windmilling him, it looks fun and is effective.