Mevo plus & pro package vs Garmin R10

Babydaddy

I use a launch monitor exclusively outdoors on the driving range. I am most interested in using the launch monitor to improve my swing.

I’m seriously thinking of getting the flight scope, it appears that in someways the flight scope software is a bit more professional and its presentation. But I’m wondering if people that have the pro package have compared it to the Garmin in terms of accuracy of the club data?
Overall, I’ve been pretty happy with my Garmin, but I do wonder about the accuracy of the club data. I also like the idea that scope allows you to adjust for range balls in the app. 
Another thing that has me interested in the flight scope is the multi camera options.

If you are a Mevo plus owner with pro package have you been happy with the software and the performance of the unit?

Do you trust the ball and club data?

Happy M+ w PP here. IMO the ball data btw the units is pretty comparable. The testing I’ve seen would indicate the club data is more reliable / accurate with the M+. That additional accuracy will help with better spin axis readings indoors but outdoors won’t matter. Having good path and face to path data is very helpful when practicing. 

I searched out this thread because of seeing the attached YouTube review of the Garmin R10 yesterday.  Had had no idea that "club data" was included with the R10!  BTW, thought the review was great. He put a crazy amount of work into it.

We had been using a PRGR on our lanai "range" with foam balls in combination with a "divot board" type of mat insert and video - primarily DTL.  We came to the conclusion that the differences that we were seeing with on-course results could likely be sussed out via path and face data.  *And*, figured the type of balls really shouldn't make much, if any, difference.  So, with FlightScope's 30 day free return policy, we decided to pull the trigger and give the Mevo+ with Pro Package a test. 

Turns out that getting it to match up with our Pixel 7's took some fiddling, but once we got going with their tech support folks over the phone, we worked through all the issues and, after about ten days now, are mostly thrilled with the results.  I've learned precisely what I wanted to know about the source of my most bothersome misses.  I was miles off base in my assumptions, and a couple of different teaching pros were, let's say, less than perfect with their diagnoses, as well.  This article explains a *lot* and we've found it to line up precisely with what the gadget's club data has been telling us. https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws  BTW, those results line up precisely with what I studied and learned on my own via video with tennis balls and the relative effects due to swing path and racquet face angle.  There's a reason why you won't find any good descriptions on line about how to match those two parameters up for producing a topspin lob.  Well, if you dig into my stuff deep enough on Tennis Warehouse forums. . . 🙂

I feel like I've wasted months trying to "pretty up" my swing when it turns out that I was *already* able to control my swing path within a couple or three degrees of "straight", as well as pretty well control whether it had a bias "inside out" or "outside in".  Was blown away by the relative importance of face angle. It immediately sent me to work on finding ways to control same. I have some right wrist issues that had to be factored in.  Bottom line, with a little warm-up time on the lanai range, I can now already throw up a reasonably tight pattern of shots with a 7 iron on the phone screen "review". The wifey, a new golfer, is also making amazing progress since this gadget arrived.  She's a software wizard and may be addicted to the thing.  She's also already narrowed her dispersion patterns.

There's something called FlightScope Cloud where you can also see a spreadsheet type view of all of your shot data "myflightscope.com".  It's cumbersome, but I can "sort of" copy and paste this data to a spreadsheet. I get a kick out of "sorting" the data via the various parameters.  Sadly, unlike with Trackman's data (I'm pretty sure), rather than giving the data positive and negative numbers depending on whether they are to the right or left of the target line, the numbers come listed with an "R" or an "L".  Neither my wizard wife nor FlightScope's support found a means of batch converting so that there are no letters in the cells.  Interestingly, I believe I saw in Zach's video that Garmin's number have the positive and negative signs.  Hmmm. . .

Also, after finishing a session with the Mevo+, you apparently have to not only "end the session" on the phone app, but must also "log out" before the data can show up on their Cloud.  "Can" does not, apparently mean "shall" - at least not necessarily with the succeeding 24 hours.  When the data becomes available via cloud has been mighty random.  We can both access our shot data once it finally arrives.

Now, the difference in price between the Garmin R10 and the Mevo+ with the extra pricey "Pro Package" (for the club data) is crazy.  This Mevo setup looks to be four or five times as costly.  

Setting the Mevo+ up on our little range takes some fiddling and some jumping around through numerous screens on the phone to get it all aligned just right, but if my impatient a** can learn to do it, then I suppose it's not unreasonable.  *However*, what I saw Zach do on the actual golf course in his review is never gonna happen with this red and white gadget.  It looked like he could just set it down "in the ball park" behind his ball and still get his numbers.  From what he showed, they're certainly not perfect, but if the "club path" and "face angle" numbers are even half way decent, I'd think someone looking to improve their game via this sort of feedback might be perfectly satisfied with the R10.  That difference in price is just crazy.  Oh, and it's another 500 bucks if you want the Mevo to tell you where on the club face you're striking it.  I'm sure it's mighty handy, but that buys quite a large box of foot powder spray cans.

I have no idea how to use simulator software.  I guess the Mevo+ comes with some of that kind of software with no subscription required.  Year round golf is readily available here in The Villages, so I'm not sure how motivated we'll be towards learning to use it.  Also, we're limited to an 8 foot ceiling on the lanai, so 7 iron is about as long a club as I can "fit" out there.  Oh, we *do* also have "batting cage" outdoor ranges readily available here and have successfully tested the Mevo gadget there, as well.  Haven't tried it at any of the available "regular" driving ranges.

Oh, and we haven't tested out the built-in camera features. I'm used to regularly using tripods and phones for FO and DTL video when desired.  ("Photos Legacy" is my preferred video software).  At this point, the main value that I get from such video is the commentary that I make to remind myself what particular "swing thought" I was pondering for that stroke or maybe where I might've been aiming a shot a little differently.  It is easily matched up with the shot that it goes with on playback due to the nice lady on the phone loudly announcing what your "carry" was on each shot. 🙂

I think there's a reasonably good chance that I will soon be hitting a pretty high percentage of intentional "push/draws" and "pull fades".  Interestingly, if that shape of shot falls inside certain number ranges, it's still just called a "straight" shot.  I'm sure those numbers vary with clubs and length of shot.

Oh, and I just gained some eye-opening knowledge about how changing the ball position in my stance has *far* more effect on the resultant ball flight than I would've ever guessed.  I shall be putting that new knowledge to good use under the right circumstances, too. 🙂

I guess we have a couple more weeks to play with this system, yet, before deciding whether to keep it.  Would love to hear more about the R10's "club" data capabilities.  PM's are just fine, too.

Edited by Kevin Bryant
I have anal retentive issues.

20 hours ago, Kevin Bryant said:

I searched out this thread because of seeing the attached YouTube review of the Garmin R10 yesterday.  Had had no idea that "club data" was included with the R10!  BTW, thought the review was great. He put a crazy amount of work into it.

We had been using a PRGR on our lanai "range" with foam balls in combination with a "divot board" type of mat insert and video - primarily DTL.  We came to the conclusion that the differences that we were seeing with on-course results could likely be sussed out via path and face data.  *And*, figured the type of balls really shouldn't make much, if any, difference.  So, with FlightScope's 30 day free return policy, we decided to pull the trigger and give the Mevo+ with Pro Package a test. 

Turns out that getting it to match up with our Pixel 7's took some fiddling, but once we got going with their tech support folks over the phone, we worked through all the issues and, after about ten days now, are mostly thrilled with the results.  I've learned precisely what I wanted to know about the source of my most bothersome misses.  I was miles off base in my assumptions, and a couple of different teaching pros were, let's say, less than perfect with their diagnoses, as well.  This article explains a *lot* and we've found it to line up precisely with what the gadget's club data has been telling us. https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws  BTW, those results line up precisely with what I studied and learned on my own via video with tennis balls and the relative effects due to swing path and racquet face angle.  There's a reason why you won't find any good descriptions on line about how to match those two parameters up for producing a topspin lob.  Well, if you dig into my stuff deep enough on Tennis Warehouse forums. . . 🙂

I feel like I've wasted months trying to "pretty up" my swing when it turns out that I was *already* able to control my swing path within a couple or three degrees of "straight", as well as pretty well control whether it had a bias "inside out" or "outside in".  Was blown away by the relative importance of face angle. It immediately sent me to work on finding ways to control same. I have some right wrist issues that had to be factored in.  Bottom line, with a little warm-up time on the lanai range, I can now already throw up a reasonably tight pattern of shots with a 7 iron on the phone screen "review". The wifey, a new golfer, is also making amazing progress since this gadget arrived.  She's a software wizard and may be addicted to the thing.  She's also already narrowed her dispersion patterns.

There's something called FlightScope Cloud where you can also see a spreadsheet type view of all of your shot data "myflightscope.com".  It's cumbersome, but I can "sort of" copy and paste this data to a spreadsheet. I get a kick out of "sorting" the data via the various parameters.  Sadly, unlike with Trackman's data (I'm pretty sure), rather than giving the data positive and negative numbers depending on whether they are to the right or left of the target line, the numbers come listed with an "R" or an "L".  Neither my wizard wife nor FlightScope's support found a means of batch converting so that there are no letters in the cells.  Interestingly, I believe I saw in Zach's video that Garmin's number have the positive and negative signs.  Hmmm. . .

Also, after finishing a session with the Mevo+, you apparently have to not only "end the session" on the phone app, but must also "log out" before the data can show up on their Cloud.  "Can" does not, apparently mean "shall" - at least not necessarily with the succeeding 24 hours.  When the data becomes available via cloud has been mighty random.  We can both access our shot data once it finally arrives.

Now, the difference in price between the Garmin R10 and the Mevo+ with the extra pricey "Pro Package" (for the club data) is crazy.  This Mevo setup looks to be four or five times as costly.  

Setting the Mevo+ up on our little range takes some fiddling and some jumping around through numerous screens on the phone to get it all aligned just right, but if my impatient a** can learn to do it, then I suppose it's not unreasonable.  *However*, what I saw Zach do on the actual golf course in his review is never gonna happen with this red and white gadget.  It looked like he could just set it down "in the ball park" behind his ball and still get his numbers.  From what he showed, they're certainly not perfect, but if the "club path" and "face angle" numbers are even half way decent, I'd think someone looking to improve their game via this sort of feedback might be perfectly satisfied with the R10.  That difference in price is just crazy.  Oh, and it's another 500 bucks if you want the Mevo to tell you where on the club face you're striking it.  I'm sure it's mighty handy, but that buys quite a large box of foot powder spray cans.

I have no idea how to use simulator software.  I guess the Mevo+ comes with some of that kind of software with no subscription required.  Year round golf is readily available here in The Villages, so I'm not sure how motivated we'll be towards learning to use it.  Also, we're limited to an 8 foot ceiling on the lanai, so 7 iron is about as long a club as I can "fit" out there.  Oh, we *do* also have "batting cage" outdoor ranges readily available here and have successfully tested the Mevo gadget there, as well.  Haven't tried it at any of the available "regular" driving ranges.

Oh, and we haven't tested out the built-in camera features. I'm used to regularly using tripods and phones for FO and DTL video when desired.  ("Photos Legacy" is my preferred video software).  At this point, the main value that I get from such video is the commentary that I make to remind myself what particular "swing thought" I was pondering for that stroke or maybe where I might've been aiming a shot a little differently.  It is easily matched up with the shot that it goes with on playback due to the nice lady on the phone loudly announcing what your "carry" was on each shot. 🙂

I think there's a reasonably good chance that I will soon be hitting a pretty high percentage of intentional "push/draws" and "pull fades".  Interestingly, if that shape of shot falls inside certain number ranges, it's still just called a "straight" shot.  I'm sure those numbers vary with clubs and length of shot.

Oh, and I just gained some eye-opening knowledge about how changing the ball position in my stance has *far* more effect on the resultant ball flight than I would've ever guessed.  I shall be putting that new knowledge to good use under the right circumstances, too. 🙂

I guess we have a couple more weeks to play with this system, yet, before deciding whether to keep it.  Would love to hear more about the R10's "club" data capabilities.  PM's are just fine, too.

I got a Mevo plus with the pro package. I love it so far. 
I feel it provides more consistent results than my use of the R10 did. 
I think the software is designed by people who know what someone like me is looking for in terms of user experience. 
the calibration and alignment tools on the Mevo are worth the price of admission to me. The software feels and looks far more professional than Awesome Golf or Garmin to my eyes. The updates are easy for firmware etc… 

I am thoroughly impressed by the Mevo so far. Pro from to to bottom so far. 
the AOA appears to be more accurate and more consistent than the results I got from the R10. Now, how much of that is me? How  much is the calibration? 
For what I’m trying to do the Mevo Plus is perfect, but I see why it’s not worth the difference in cost to some

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Babydaddy said:

I got a Mevo plus with the pro package. I love it so far. 
I feel it provides more consistent results than my use of the R10 did. 
I think the software is designed by people who know what someone like me is looking for in terms of user experience. 
the calibration and alignment tools on the Mevo are worth the price of admission to me. The software feels and looks far more professional than Awesome Golf or Garmin to my eyes. The updates are easy for firmware etc… 

I am thoroughly impressed by the Mevo so far. Pro from to to bottom so far. 
the AOA appears to be more accurate and more consistent than the results I got from the R10. Now, how much of that is me? How  much is the calibration? 
For what I’m trying to do the Mevo Plus is perfect, but I see why it’s not worth the difference in cost to some

Very interesting. How long have you had it?  Also saw your reply in the other thread. Did you happen to watch Zach's video review? Would love to know how you think his experience compares to yours.  His ability to carry it out onto the golf course and just flop it down looked mighty inviting.  Didn't seem to register numbers that were all that far off from reality.  Have you used your R10 on the course?

We just this morning switched over to using an iPad with the gadget rather than the Pixel 7.  Major improvement.  It even went into a deeper dive with the alignment precision.  Caused me to experiment with moving the *mat* rather than the device for the adjustments. Much easier. 🙂 Oh, and the data went immediately to the cloud with the iPad rather than the (often) almost 24 hours with the Pixel phone.  Apparently the Androids are just not ready for prime time for this product.

My temptation for heading in the other direction, though, is partially colored by what I think I've learned in just the past couple of days about utilizing the path and face-to-path readings.  Felt like I hand kind of nailed down what I needed to do for my setup for playing a push/draw with my 7 iron and limiting myself pretty much to a one-way miss.  Confirmed it this morning, but work remains for narrowing the range on the range between the two key readings from the gadget.

*But*, it got me so cocky that I then went back out to see how close I might come to building a similar pull/fade.  After the first two shots with one of each parameter exaggerated too much, the next six shots were off the charts nice.  Scary how nice.  And, this shot pattern felt approximately *infinitely* easier to produce - almost "natural".  The sample size is obviously tiny, but playing mostly "executive" courses around here (nearly all par 3's), it appears it's just a question of how *many* holes-in-one per month to start expecting. 🙂 

The point is, if this new found knowledge actually holds and the swing continues to work and I can continue to be able to decipher *whence* came this or that miss, how much will I need to continue to bother with *any* device.  I'm sure that reality will slap me in the face (as usual), but I've *never* been this close to needing zero swing thoughts - once all my "setup" parameters are in place.  I've rarely had fewer than 15 swing thoughts in the past. 🙂

I note that in the other thread that you might be getting the "face location" software, too. Would love to hear how that goes.  Interestingly, the foot powder spray early returns for my pull/fade show far better average face contact position.  Wild. Shall be visiting an outdoor "batting cage" range shortly.  If I can pull off similar results with the longer irons. . .  Having visions of striping that 1983 vintage Ping Eye 2 one iron. 🙂