2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MI Fitting - Miles of Golf vs. Club Champion

jmkorting

Time for a driver/fairway/hybrid fitting.  It has been several years.  At least 3 or 4 (definitely pre covid).  Last driver I was fit for was Callaway Mavrik and last hybrid was G410 when they 1st came out.  So yea been a min. 

I am happy with my irons, and wedges will be next year cause I am waiting on the new Cleveland wedges to be released.  With that being said does anyone have any experiences with both of these places?

Been fit at Club Champion twice, but several years ago.  I understand they are expensive, but I also know they have a vast selection of shafts and a few companies I am keen on trying (VA Composites and Kinetixx).  Never done a fitting at Miles of Golf before.  Differences?  One better over the other?  Any thoughts on either place is welcome and thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/4/2023 at 1:22 PM, jmkorting said:

Time for a driver/fairway/hybrid fitting.  It has been several years.  At least 3 or 4 (definitely pre covid).  Last driver I was fit for was Callaway Mavrik and last hybrid was G410 when they 1st came out.  So yea been a min. 

I am happy with my irons, and wedges will be next year cause I am waiting on the new Cleveland wedges to be released.  With that being said does anyone have any experiences with both of these places?

Been fit at Club Champion twice, but several years ago.  I understand they are expensive, but I also know they have a vast selection of shafts and a few companies I am keen on trying (VA Composites and Kinetixx).  Never done a fitting at Miles of Golf before.  Differences?  One better over the other?  Any thoughts on either place is welcome and thanks in advance.

In the same boat. Did you end up going with either?

What about Carl's? Right up the street from CC.

One of my playing partners got fit for a TSR3 at Carl's in the fall.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

13 hours ago, bbury10 said:

In the same boat. Did you end up going with either?

I went to Mile's back in late Nov.  The establishment is nice.  The fitter I worked with was nice.  The customer service was great.  Overall good experience.

Here are my personal take aways from the fitting.  I understand everyone's expectations of a fitting are different so take my thoughts with a grain of salt as they are what I want or want to see during a fitting.

• Use ball I use on course during fitting
    • I enjoyed hitting in their bay out on to a range vs into a SIM screen.  I wasn't a fan of the balls they had to use.  To me they seemed like your everyday yellow range balls that you hit when going to a range.  I didn't inspect them to verify if they were a prov or anything like that.  I am just basing that off the fact they were a yellow (some faded yellow) and there was an abundance of them.  Normally when I am indoors doing testing I use the ball I use on course.  So that was a something I noticed.  This is also something I get to use (my preferred ball) during a CC fitting.
  • Not all product was available
    • I went during a time (late Nov) when my swing felt good, but they were getting read of a lot of their product in preparation for new 2024 products.  So, my ability to hit certain brands were not offered to me.  This was a disappointment.  I understand why they weren't offered, but I would have liked to of been told prior that not all products were available.  This also goes to show that even though that time of year may be good to do a fitting (cause coming off the season and your swing is feeling good) that the fitting establishment may not have all products available.
  • Website is not updated w/ who they are an authorized dealer for
    • I wanted to hit VA Composite shafts during my fitting.  I have tried a few on my own, but wanted to see if I would be fit into them.  I also like some of their shaft profiles.  These shafts are only available to try through an authorized dealer.  Their website showed they were a listed authorized dealer for them.  This was something that lead me to try them.  But upon going there and asking about them I was told they are no longer a dealer for them.
  • Didn't feel the fitter listened to my thoughts
    • I had expressed during my fitting that I wasn't a fan of shafts that had a boardy feel to them.  An example being anything Project X Hzrdus.  I find them to feel like a board no matter what flex.  That I liked to feel the shaft load in transition and that through my testing (my way of saying through my clubjunkieness) that I found a shaft with a softer handle section is what I gravitated towards liking the feel of.  I kept being handed shafts that were the complete opposite of what I liked.  Got handed a few Hzrdus shafts during the fitting.
  • Only offered OEM stock shaft offerings
    • All shafts that they had me test were all stock shafts available through the OEM of the club I was hitting.  I would have liked to of tried something other than OEM offerings.  This could be on me as I didn't push to try anything I was just going w/ what the fitter handed to me.
  • Fitting time wasn't scheduled correctly
    • I scheduled for their MAXX driver/fairway fitting.  Which is 1.5 hours.  However, during my fitting I was told I only had an hour.  That limited my time and what I was able to hit after hitting my 6 iron and then the only other fairway/hybrid club I have at the top end of my bag.  I was left with time to only hit 3 clubs (G430, Paradym, and TSR2).  All hybrids and all meant to be club after my 6 iron.  I didn't have enough time to gap/figure out any other portion of the top end of my bag which is sole reason I went there.
  • Asked to come back to complete fitting
    • Because they only had an hour scheduled for me I was asked to come back on another day to complete the fitting as we ran out of time.  They also didn't charge me for that day and said I would get charged when I came back.  This was nice, but only bad thing was I had to drive about an 1 hour 20 min to get there.  So I would have to drive back a few days later.  Only to hit what seemed like 3 brands (Ping, Callaway, and Titleist).  After getting back home and talking over the experience with my wife I came to the conclusion I wasn't going to go back.  When I called to cancel my scheduled fitting time for a few days later I offered to pay for the time I spent there that day, but they said no worries and to just come back in 2024 and they would just charge me then.  This was what lead my great customer service comment in the beginning.

Overall, there were good things and bad things about my fitting experience from my perspective.  I however, don't believe I will be going back there when I schedule my 2024 fitting in next couple of months.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the detailed response - it is super helpful.

I’ve probably set my expectations way too high for getting fit for clubs. I’ve done a fitting once a few years back for a driver at Carls in West Bloomfield and was left disappointed. Guy essentially had me hit two drivers, said ur swing speed is X so you should use this shaft and that was it.