2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ryan Faust drill to make use of the ground. Should cure early extension.

Nels55

Well this drill seems to work.  I did several sessions last night and then worked on it a bit this morning before squeezing a round in between rain storms.  LOL I shot the second best round of my life an even par 71.  Coincidence?  Of course but then again I did hit the ball fairly solidly and on a reasonable line on most shots.  LOL I was also incredibly lucky including pitching in from about 40 feet after hacking 3 shots in a row on the last hole.  

Fluke round aside I am encouraged by how this drill seems to help me to get through the ball better.  I have been working on the same movement pattern mostly with Milo Lines hockey stick drills for some time and this drill fits in very nicely for me.  I almost felt confident over the ball at times today...

Edited by Nels55

Overall, a good video. I'm not a big fan of feeling it as "down" with both knees/legs, preferring more the front leg do more so that you "fall" or "shift" forward (target ward), but overall… one of the better BBG vids.

I'll list the small things on which I bumped a bit, and hopefully it's taken that way: as small things. Doing a live video is tough, and particularly when you're talking about one student and his or her feels, and exaggerating things.

Bumps

In the first two minutes… Brendan said it, not Ryan, but I don't like to "think of the center of mass as an inch below your belly button" because it moves around a good bit during the swing. Stand with your arms down and raise your arms up and the center of mass moves a decent bit (depending on your size). He could have just talked about the center of the pelvis (which we can see on GEARS). Tiger's COM doesn't move quite like his belly button shows. (GEARS can show a "center of mass" dot, too, but it's obviously not measured as it doesn't know individual segment weights.)

At 3:40, Ryan says that when you're "coming down into the ground" (lowering), you're getting heavier. A scale (or a pressure plate) beneath your feet would register the opposite: you'd exert less force overall and "weigh less" in that phase. You're creating some downward momentum, so that when you do push back up (or slow down the rate at which you're dropping) you'll have to exert more force than if you didn't go down, but you're lighter when you're dropping, not heavier.

Same deal at 6:45 or so (and 7:30)… but it depends on how you interpret "the most force going into my lead leg." That's not when pressure or forces spike if you're still going down. It's when the left knee extends or "jumps" that you spike that force. That peak force occurs in the early middle of that left (lead) knee extending, not at the max "down."

Finally, even though at about 3:11 Ryan will say "what's key is that the upper half is not doing that [going down and up]," nearly every demonstration of this has the head dropping 12"+ or something. It's exaggerated, but even 3 or 4" is a significant, notable drop.

I use a drill that's pretty similar, and Ryan knows too that you're not still going down until nearly P6 as demonstrated, so he's not entirely wrong about when you exhibit the peak force. It is at about P5.5 or so (depending on the golfer), because that's when you're exploding back upward. In other words, the feel isn't the same as the real, and the way to teach it isn't even the same as the real, because you're super exaggerating one thing over the other.

But on the whole… good video. I am not as big a fan of the right (trail) knee adding so much flex so early, because that will lower your upper center, but it's not something I avoid like the plague or anything, either.

Anyway… 🤞🏼

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Not to pick on this particular video, there are many other ones like it which elicit the same reactions (to me). Reactions like 'wtf', or 'gee, I'm not doing anything like that' (or am I?), and many others.  In the end the only suitable reaction is this stuff is dangerous.  And this mainly applies to videos from Milo and the like with these exaggerated GRF/pressure moves.

It's these kinds of videos that are NOT one size fits all.  There are so many variables to consider.  You absolutely need an instructor to help you with this.  A good instructor can see/measure where you are starting from, then apply these principles as it fits with your swing.  Doing it on your own is more likely to introduce another layer of complexity causing more problems than it's worth.

The other thing that perplexes me when golfers want to try some new move that is a big departure from their current swing - how do you know that you are doing it?  Because the ball zips off the face with a different sound so that must be it.  I rarely see anyone at the range working on a drill, recording it, going back and watching the replay to verify, then back to the drill.  But I sure hear a lot of golfers saying something different to themselves and then hitting the same shot they always hit.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, CasualLie said:

Not to pick on this particular video, there are many other ones like it which elicit the same reactions (to me). Reactions like 'wtf', or 'gee, I'm not doing anything like that' (or am I?), and many others.  In the end the only suitable reaction is this stuff is dangerous.  And this mainly applies to videos from Milo and the like with these exaggerated GRF/pressure moves.

It's these kinds of videos that are NOT one size fits all.  There are so many variables to consider.  You absolutely need an instructor to help you with this.  A good instructor can see/measure where you are starting from, then apply these principles as it fits with your swing.  Doing it on your own is more likely to introduce another layer of complexity causing more problems than it's worth.

The other thing that perplexes me when golfers want to try some new move that is a big departure from their current swing - how do you know that you are doing it?  Because the ball zips off the face with a different sound so that must be it.  I rarely see anyone at the range working on a drill, recording it, going back and watching the replay to verify, then back to the drill.  But I sure hear a lot of golfers saying something different to themselves and then hitting the same shot they always hit.

I have not found this teaching to be dangerous as a matter of fact my lower back seems to doing fine while working on this stuff, so far anyway.  It is possible to do the movement pattern and synchronization at whatever physical level you are at.  Of course I am looking at video constantly so I would agree that it is a good idea to have a video setup or another set of eyes to provide feedback.  The movements are not complicated but also are not necessarily easy to do.  I posted a video in the Milo Lines thread with some exercises to do to try to increase mobility required to do the swing at a good level, I will also post it here:

I don't see these exercises as being particularly dangerous but I could be wrong.  What do you think?  I would say that if you cannot do the exercises at some reasonable level without pain it would be a good idea to seek professional help or to swing in a different manner...  Possibly one of the arm swing methods like Ron Sisson, Manuel de la Torre, Earnest Jones, Jim Venetos et al.  There have been and are currently successful golfers who do not swing in the way that Milo teaches so pick your poison I guess.

• Like 1

I didn't mean dangerous in terms of back pain / health.  I just find this sort of forced GRF a great way to mess up your timing and introduce other problems.

I'm more in the camp of working on setup, because if you mess that up, the swing is just a series of compensations.

Then work on takeaway, because again, mess that up and it is a series of compensations.

Then work on moved to the top, and first move/ intent out of transition, because if you mess that up, you are screwed.  There is no time for compensations, ball is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this video and have been using similar concepts/drills at home. My current go to feeling/sequencing is combining the @MonteScheinblum, "right hip back in the backswing, left hip back in the downswing" with this GRF feel. I've been really striking the ball well and in balance with this combination. Hoping it translates once its ingrained. 

• Like 1

Rotate the following:

Callaway AI Smoke TD Max 9* Denali Black 60gm 6.5

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1