Kauai golf suggestion

CAT GOLFER

I plan to visit in March, and will likely only get one round to play amongst family time.  Looking at Poipu Bay, Puakea, or Hokuala.  Of the three, which is the best bet?

Princeville may be an option too if I can plan a day/parallel activities for the family.  Is it worth the drive though over the three mentioned?

Thoughts are welcome!

Princeville is worth the drive. You should be able to find things to do up there.  I would also suggest Wailua Municipal over Paukea. Hokuala is very nice. It’s been too many years to give any advice on Poipu.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I've played Makai. It's the only course I played on the island, but it does have a fantastic stretch of holes along the water near Queens Bath. IMO the north side of the island is best. Family could go to Hanalei Beach while you golf. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

16 hours ago, chinaski said:

I've played Makai. It's the only course I played on the island, but it does have a fantastic stretch of holes along the water near Queens Bath. IMO the north side of the island is best. Family could go to Hanalei Beach while you golf. 

How are the houses on the course?  Does it take away from the scenery?

1 hour ago, CAT GOLFER said:

How are the houses on the course?  Does it take away from the scenery?

No, I don't think so. It's a great course. Halalei Beach is my favorite beach on the island. Also there is a great hike to Hanakapiai Falls nearby. It's intense, and you need to get a permit, but 100% worth it. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

36 minutes ago, ESOX ZO said:

I'd highly recommend Poipu, 3 years ago we were there and loved it. Hole 16 is forever etched in my golf memory also Poipu Beach is the best beach I've ever been to and has an awesome sand bar. 

I’m leaning this way, but the photos of Makai and comments from @chinaski and @Springsteennut make it a tough choice.  It may just come down to timing.  I wish I had more time on island because I would play both, but not going to complain if I only get a single round.

1 minute ago, CAT GOLFER said:

I’m leaning this way, but the photos of Makai and comments from @chinaski and @Springsteennut make it a tough choice.  It may just come down to timing.  I wish I had more time on island because I would play both, but not going to complain if I only get a single round.

Don't make your decision on photos, in my opinion they skew things too much. 

That being said, Princeville is awesome as well. Hanalei town is just down the road and it's a perfect spot for your family to hang around while you are golfing there as well, my favorite town I've ever visited and feels more of a local spot with awesome food, great beach there and the iconic Hanalei pier. I wasn't too big of a fan of Makai, but that's mainly of the housing surrounding it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not to sway your opinion too much as I didn’t play it… but we visited Hanalei with some down time and I had to sneak some views of Princeville  I was super relieved to have not booked a round there. My pet peeve is paying good money to see someone’s back yard. No clue how great the course is but I would rather play wailua again to be honest. Maybe that’s dramatic but that’s just me. 

If I had time for more golf I’d have made it to poipu. Had to cancel a round at the ocean course after whale watching left me too sun burnt to move lol 

Edited by southpaw72
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, southpaw72 said:

Not to sway your opinion too much as I didn’t play it… but we visited Hanalei with some down time and I had to sneak some views of Princeville  I was super relieved to have not booked a round there. My pet peeve is paying good money to see someone’s back yard. No clue how great the course is but I would rather play wailua again to be honest. Maybe that’s dramatic but that’s just me. 

If I had time for more golf I’d have made it to poipu. Had to cancel a round at the ocean course after whale watching left me too sun burnt to move lol 

I would love to play them all, when in Kauai right, but so goes life. You get what you get so don’t get upset.

We are staying near Poipu, it’s likely going to be the round I end up playing.  Proximity rules in this case, especially when I need to get back to the family.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CAT GOLFER said:

I would love to play them all, when in Kauai right, but so goes life. You get what you get so don’t get upset.

We are staying near Poipu, it’s likely going to be the round I end up playing.  Proximity rules in this case, especially when I need to get back to the family.

From all accounts you will never regret playing poipu especially if you’re staying down there. You’ll have a great time!

If you’re staying near Princeville I’d stay with what you booked already. It can be quite a long ride from up north to Poipu up until bout 10 in the morning and in the afternoons coming back starting around 3.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

• 3 weeks later...

We are in the process of a full irrigation system renovation for the first time since we opened in 1991. The new irrigation system will conserve water, reduce labor, and keep the course in beautiful condition for years to come. During this project, the golf course will remain open and playable in a modified 18-hole form. However, a temporary hole will be in use beginning September 13, 2023. Please refer to our website for continued updates during the project. Select BreakAway Specials will be suspended during the renovation.

just saw this on the Poipu website….

Edited by CAT GOLFER

On 2/7/2024 at 3:40 AM, CAT GOLFER said:

I’m still a month out, let us all know how the conditions are when you play.

Condition at Makai were excellent.  Greens were very pure but rolled on the slower side.  Tee boxes, fairways, and rough in very good condition.  Overall a good round but some of the holes were forgettable.  The oceanfront holes were all fun.  

I was thinking about playing Poipu later this week, but the wife vetoed it bc the kids were getting unruly.

• Like 2

Been going to Kauai for 25 years, will be there for 12 days in 3 weeks. 

Depending on where you are staying would factor in to which course you should play. Traffic on the main road can be nasty. 

if you stay Kapaa north then go play Makai. It is fantastic

if you are in the south side oF the Island, Poipu Bay recently went thru a refresh. It is great and the final 3 hole stretch is among most picturesque views in the world. 

if you are near Airport/Lihue then Hokuala is pretty good. Back 9 has the views but front 9 is actually better golf holes

all of those have really gotten expensive. We used to get a 5 day unlimited  pass at Hokuala for $500. Similar  deals at Poipu & Makai. Now all 3 are north of $300 with no real multi play deals that provide any value

if you are on a budget, go play Wailua between Lihue & Kapaa. It’s the local muni but it is a stout golf course. We play it 4-5 times per trip now. We like to walk and it’s perfect for that. We also play Puakea which is a fun landlocked course with some really cool holes

My wife and I both play so we don’t play any of the expensive courses anymore. 

Kauai is a wonderful place. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

If anyone was interested, I called the course to get the scoop.  They have about 2-3 holes remaining to finish up irrigation.  Schedule currently puts them at end of month to complete.  While they are still doing irrigation, the hole they work on will be a “temporary” hole.  I am still a few weeks out, so I hope all the holes are finished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 4:21 PM, Serenity Now said:

if you are on a budget, go play Wailua between Lihue & Kapaa. It’s the local muni but it is a stout golf course. We play it 4-5 times per trip now. We like to walk and it’s perfect for that. We also play Puakea which is a fun landlocked course with some really cool holes

This is a really great course. I played it after some time on Maui and obviously on Kauai. I really like the change of pace from a resort course but also playing a well maintained course you have to put a little thought into. One of my favorite courses anywhere honestly just for how enjoyable it was . The price is just another benefit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, CAT GOLFER said:

Maintenance is done, course is back to normal.  Only remnants are the patches where irrigation lines were run, and those weren’t a big deal.  Greens were pristine, wind was howling, and Nene crap was abundant(if you know, you know).  Book with confidence going forward.

Awesome, 

Still my most memorable round with my wife on our honeymoon. Will be back eventually!