Early Extension Issue

Been working on my swing for awhile now. I feel pretty happy about my take away. But I still struggle with early extension. In these swings I'm trying to feel like I'm keeping my head down on the ball, and you see the toe strike still 🤦‍♂️. Any drills or tips for this? 

I'm more of a feel type golfer.  So if there's a certain thing I should feel to help it, I'm all ears. 

Also my finish looks odd, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. Probably all cause by my EE?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by colu41
Typo

Callaway Rogue St Max 9* Fujikura Pro 70 X-Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 3Wood

Maltby KE4 Max 4 & 5 Iron Dynamic Gold 105 S

Rogue ST Pro 6-PW PX Rifle Tour Flight 105 S

Vokey SM9 Wedges (48),52,56,60

Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Black

Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag

Bridgestone Tour RX

• colu41 changed the title to Early Extension Issue
35 minutes ago, mudge said:

You're steep as a jeep on the downswing, that's why you have to EE

23 minutes ago, ALIF said:

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. Like the previous person said you are steep on the down swing coming from transition but I've seen way worse. Maybe work on some shallowing the transition type drills. Overall you have a pretty solid move.

I've recently started coming up more vertical in my takeaway to try and prevent that but, need to find some other drills to prevent how steep it is.

Bridgestone Tour RX

Your hands work away from your body too much and don’t get deep enough as a result.  Leads to steep downswing and EE.  Middle of your hands should be under your shoulder at least arm parallel and continue to turn back.

IMG_1334.png

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Your hands work away from your body too much and don’t get deep enough as a result.  Leads to steep downswing and EE.  Middle of your hands should be under your shoulder at least arm parallel and continue to turn back.

IMG_1334.png

So essentially need to flatten out my takeaway?

Bridgestone Tour RX

Just now, colu41 said:

Be careful that doesn’t get over done.  It’s easy to do.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, colu41 said:

You've barely turned by P3. Look at the face-on. Turn = depth. You're lifting the hands up, not turning particularly fast, and rolling the forearms to get the club to go around you a bit.

This is additive to what @MonteScheinblum has said.

I'd say "no" to "flatten out your takeaway" as you already roll it a bit. I'd say you need to actually TURN and stop sending the club around you so much with your arms.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I'd add to the above the the lack of depth + early extension is being encouraged by how far you're standing from the ball. 

ScreenShot2024-03-14at12_06_16PM.png.64da1b07949ae38a56a5b1efc91f1f75.png

We can see here at impact you hit it pretty far off the toe, so any efforts to gain more depth and keep the hips back would result in you just being "further" from the ball as far as your brain is concerned, exacerbating the toe strike tendency. A classic example of "if you did everything right you'd miss the ball". Your footing and the ground might be contributing to this as well, it looks like it could be somewhat uneven. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Posted (edited)

Yes, that was a terrible strike. My miss is definitely on the toe too so, that is an issue also.

I've contemplated moving closer to the ball, i will start with that.

The ground may be slightly uneven but, I've taken a few videos on a range, on course etc and the swing is the same.

I'll move closer to the ball and maybe take a few more videos and see if something changes. Thank you!

Edited by colu41
  • Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

16 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Yes, that was a terrible strike. My miss is definitely on the toe too so, that is an issue also.

I've contemplated moving closer to the ball, i will start with that.

The ground may be slightly uneven but, I've taken a few videos on a range, on course etc and the swing is the same.

I'll move closer to the ball and maybe take a few more videos and see if something changes. Thank you!

Bear in mind that Catch 22 you'll likely experience here, this was something I was attempting to illustrate for a client recently. 

When we haven't learned how to rotate/pivot correctly in a "right hip back -> shift -> left hip back" fashion, the tendency is to come towards the ball in some capacity. From there we simply learn to stand further away to make space for that, especially with the longer clubs. From this position you *can't* do things correctly as mentioned, the fundamental rotational issues have forced you into an improper setup position in a "two wrongs making a right" kind of way. Correcting the address position alone will usually make things worse because the rotation/pivot issues and the early extension the results won't just magically go away, you'll just be in a better position to start addressing them because the setup position no longer stops you from doing so. You will inevitably feel cramped and stuck until you learn how to maintain depth while rotating, something that is best done quite slow. The AMG Hip Turn video that i'm sure you've seen and Monte's resources on hip movement and sequencing are good places to start. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

27 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Bear in mind that Catch 22 you'll likely experience here, this was something I was attempting to illustrate for a client recently. 

When we haven't learned how to rotate/pivot correctly in a "right hip back -> shift -> left hip back" fashion, the tendency is to come towards the ball in some capacity. From there we simply learn to stand further away to make space for that, especially with the longer clubs. From this position you *can't* do things correctly as mentioned, the fundamental rotational issues have forced you into an improper setup position in a "two wrongs making a right" kind of way. Correcting the address position alone will usually make things worse because the rotation/pivot issues and the early extension the results won't just magically go away, you'll just be in a better position to start addressing them because the setup position no longer stops you from doing so. You will inevitably feel cramped and stuck until you learn how to maintain depth while rotating, something that is best done quite slow. The AMG Hip Turn video that i'm sure you've seen and Monte's resources on hip movement and sequencing are good places to start. 

Thanks a lot. I will definitely check them out!

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

So that AMG video was one of the most eye opening instructional videos I've ever seen. What are some good drills to accomplish it? I went out on the net for a quick half hour after work and knowing if I'm doing it properly or not is the issue. Any changes in the swing always feel weird so I just want to make sure it's a good, weird feeling.

Would using a chair, or a small makeshift wall be the best ways to do it?

Bridgestone Tour RX

Posted (edited)

I feel like it's improving, but not there quite yet. Still rolling my arms wide open though on the takeaway. 

Edited by colu41
Typo

Bridgestone Tour RX

11 minutes ago, colu41 said:

not there quite yet.

/me scrolls back to OP…

image.png.1b17281fa8288453e60d46fb45abfac0.png

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Of course it's not quite there yet. It might take months. Or longer. 😄 

• Like 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

/me scrolls back to OP…

image.png.1b17281fa8288453e60d46fb45abfac0.png

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Of course it's not quite there yet. It might take months. Or longer. 😄 

Smart assery is expected. LOL.  What I should have said/asked is, looks like I'm headed in the right direction? To me it looks better, but again, hopefully I am getting feel right as I don't want to practice something wrong for months 🤣

• Haha 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

17 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Smart assery is expected. LOL.  What I should have said/asked is, looks like I'm headed in the right direction? To me it looks better, but again, hopefully I am getting feel right as I don't want to practice something wrong for months 🤣

To be honest… and feel free to judge me as much as you want… I don't look at videos with bad camera angles all that closely. These aren't remotely close to the same camera angle:

It makes comparison very difficult if not impossible. I saw the different camera angle and chose to be a smartass (hopefully not in an offensive way as that wasn't the intent 😄) because nobody can really say too much about what's different given the difference in angles.

Even if you and I have different camera angles that we prefer, you've gotta at least use the SAME camera angle for yourself every time you practice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iacas said:

To be honest… and feel free to judge me as much as you want… I don't look at videos with bad camera angles all that closely. These aren't remotely close to the same camera angle:

It makes comparison very difficult if not impossible. I saw the different camera angle and chose to be a smartass (hopefully not in an offensive way as that wasn't the intent 😄) because nobody can really say too much about what's different given the difference in angles.

Even if you and I have different camera angles that we prefer, you've gotta at least use the SAME camera angle for yourself every time you practice.

I didn't have my tripod on the 2nd videos. I'll try to get more this weekend. 

Bridgestone Tour RX

Posted (edited)

Another swing. Decided I'm going to video a few every week all year, in hopes to see some changes

Edited by colu41

Bridgestone Tour RX

12 hours ago, colu41 said:

Another swing. Decided I'm going to video a few every week all year, in hopes to see some changes

Its looking better. Just need reps, and do loads of slow feel swings without a ball.

A good swing thought is to think of Tommy Fleetwood.

Also try some drills where you just do half swings with your right hand, back and through. then do the same but hitting the ball in to the net. it kind of forces you to transition and use your body properly. Little feel drills do work. Also standing closer to the ball is helping me too, its kind of forcing my brain to react and keep my butt back to create space, rather than lurching forward to get to the ball...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

37 minutes ago, jaffabell said:

Its looking better. Just need reps, and do loads of slow feel swings without a ball.

A good swing thought is to think of Tommy Fleetwood.

Also try some drills where you just do half swings with your right hand, back and through. then do the same but hitting the ball in to the net. it kind of forces you to transition and use your body properly. Little feel drills do work. Also standing closer to the ball is helping me too, its kind of forcing my brain to react and keep my butt back to create space, rather than lurching forward to get to the ball...

Thank you! Yes I need to start standing closer to the ball as well, as my mishits are still on the toe. A work in progress but I feel I'm on the right track. 

And the Tommy Fleetwood thing, I actually have that written in my notes. Especially for his follow through because mines all jacked up. Can't seem to keep my arm straight through impact 

Bridgestone Tour RX

1 hour ago, colu41 said:

Thank you! Yes I need to start standing closer to the ball as well, as my mishits are still on the toe. A work in progress but I feel I'm on the right track. 

And the Tommy Fleetwood thing, I actually have that written in my notes. Especially for his follow through because mines all jacked up. Can't seem to keep my arm straight through impact 

That could be a mobility thing though. You do look pretty tight, do you stretch much at all or have any old injuries? I have tight hamstrings and lower back so have to work hard on stretching too.

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

Posted (edited)

Tried today's swing standing closer to the ball. The early extension got worse. Will work on that for tmrw!

And I've never really had issues with stiff joints or anything but, I guess I don't really stretch out anything. I do some light weight lifting a few times a week and bike riding but nothing else really.

Edited by colu41

Bridgestone Tour RX

12 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Tried today's swing standing closer to the ball. The early extension got worse. Will work on that for tmrw!

Making full swings at full speed is not generally a great way to go about working on your golf swing. how are you actually working on your changes? Is it at slow speeds, with exaggeration and/or slow speeds?

Yeah, standing closer to the ball will make your EE worse if you don't actually move the hips... You have to EE more to hit it!

BTW since it hasn't been posted in this thread, the below is one of the most illuminating videos I've ever seen on how the hips are supposed to move. Getting there is a much harder job, but the below will help you understand what you need to do...

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, standing closer to the ball will make your EE worse if you don't actually move the hips... You have to EE more to hit it!

BTW since it hasn't been posted in this thread, the below is one of the most illuminating videos I've ever seen on how the hips are supposed to move. Getting there is a much harder job, but the below will help you understand what you need to do...

I believe this is the video I watched last week! It was extremely enlightening. I felt like I was getting the feel for it for the first (3 days of swings), but as soon as I moved the ball in my stance, I reverted back.

Bridgestone Tour RX

12 minutes ago, colu41 said:

I believe this is the video I watched last week! It was extremely enlightening. I felt like I was getting the feel for it for the first (3 days of swings), but as soon as I moved the ball in my stance, I reverted back.

You're dealing with motion patterns that are going to be STUBBORN AF to change. This fix will not be measured in days. 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

10 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

You're dealing with motion patterns that are going to be STUBBORN AF to change. This fix will not be measured in days. 

I completely understand that. That is why I started recording my swing and documenting it so hopefully by the end of this year I can see some good changes. 

Bridgestone Tour RX