2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Early Extension Issue

2 hours ago, colu41 said:

This one I'm a little excited about. Worked on some drills on the takeaway suggested in the videos in this thread. And I think I'm very close to getting that feeling down for it! EE is back in full force but, I keep trying to tell myself, "One thing at a time" 🤦‍♂️

Best takeaway yet by far, good job!

Curing the EE is above my pay grade, would highly suggest hiring a good instructor for that. If you want to continue spot-checking videos here, make sure to include a good face-on view in addition to the DTL.

• Like 1

Embarrassing question (there are no stupid questions, only stupid people)…I battle EE as well. I’m going to start putting the bag off of the left hip and turning into it through impact. I think often overlooked is the upper body component. 

I want to get a tripod and stick a pool noodle on it to have up against my head so I’m not pulling away from the ball through impact and straightening my spine.

What kind of tripod should I buy and how do you attach the noodle to the top of the darn thing? Seems ridiculous to spend $300 on some online chochki when I have no doubt I could make the same thing for thirty bucks on Amazon with a tripod and pool noodle. Thoughts? Any engineers on here? 

ETA or am I better off just grabbing one of those alignment rod plates (found one for $40 on Amazon), sticking a driveway wand in it then sliding a pool noodle over the top (and maybe gluing part of another one to the top of one noodle isn’t long enough)? I really just want something so I have some awareness of if my head is pulling up and I’m losing posture through impact. 

Edited by GDTBATH

15 hours ago, GungHoGolf said:

Best takeaway yet by far, good job!

Curing the EE is above my pay grade, would highly suggest hiring a good instructor for that. If you want to continue spot-checking videos here, make sure to include a good face-on view in addition to the DTL.

I've figured out "how" to relieve the EE, its just a matter of doing it. 🤦‍♂️ But I've been scolded for trying too many new things too fast so I started with the first issue which was my takeaway. I feel I can that sorted out mostly within a few more sessions. EE will be next. I may see another instructor later this year but for now, want to see what I can do for myself. Im headed in the right direction I think.

Callaway Rogue St Max 9* Fujikura Pro 70 X-Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 3Wood

Maltby KE4 Max 4 & 5 Iron Dynamic Gold 105 S

Rogue ST Pro 6-PW PX Rifle Tour Flight 105 S

Vokey SM9 Wedges (48),52,56,60

Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Black

Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag

Bridgestone Tour RX

On 3/29/2024 at 6:00 PM, colu41 said:

Well got out today for a bit working on trying to not roll my wrists wide open. This will take awhile. Even in this video it feels like my club is miles away from me as I'm drawing a circle in the sky but. Will focus on this exclusively until someone tells me, "Yup, that's it!" 🤣

now you're back to no depth haha.  Have you been doing the Dan C. stick drill Monte recommended?  The great thing is you can do that with full swings and it basically makes you get depth while not rolling your wrists and getting the clubhead laid off behind you.  (sorry, I had missed "day 10," which does look better

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chigolfer1 said:

now you're back to no depth haha.  Have you been doing the Dan C. stick drill Monte recommended?  The great thing is you can do that with full swings and it basically makes you get depth while not rolling your wrists and getting the clubhead laid off behind you.  (sorry, I had missed "day 10," which does look better

Am working on it for sure. I need to get some alignment sticks. And this weekend will be building a new hitting mat if the snow melts 😆

Bridgestone Tour RX

On 3/29/2024 at 4:49 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

From one of my lessons with @MonteScheinblum where my setup was COMPLETELY wrong (way too much forward bend), the checkpoints he gave me were:

1. Forward bend somewhere in the 35-40 degree range from vertical (tough to draw the line perfectly, but as long as you're close it should be ok).
  2. Draw a line from the center of your shoulder, straight down. That should roughly bisect your hands. 
  3. Draw a line from the butt of the club straight down. That should be outside your toe line. 

I got down this path years ago, I was so focused on "keeping my spine angle" that I actually made it worse.   I would start with too much bend, which then put me further and further from the ball.   Then when I started to swing, I was so out of position, EE was the only way I could get back to the ball and actually make contact.  But since my body was moving so far forward towards the ball during the downswing, I started shanking the ball.  So what did I think was the fix?  Move FARTHER AWAY from the ball, which then made things even worse. After finally watching some of  @MonteScheinblum's  videos on EE and starting to understand that EE was a reaction to other faults to allow you to actually make contact I started to finally get it. 

I started to hit practice shots by standing as close to the ball as I possibly could, and trying to stand much more upright at address.   The "fix" for this was actually to make a better swing, hips had to get out of the way and go back away from the ball, my spine then got into a better position at impact.  Your body kind of knows what to do to actually hit the ball and tries to compensate for errors made before you get down to the ball. It was very hard to grasp at first, but I at least got rid of the shanks.  Probably still EE compared to an ideal, but I don't have the moving towards the ball action anymore....

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Snow finally melted so got out again. I feel my takeaway is just about where it needs to be. My early extention seems OK as far as "standing up" in my swing, but my arms and shoulders are still tight, and I feel and look like I'm shrugging to get the club where it needs to be. Any tips on this? Is it as simple as "You're not rotating" and if so, what drills can I do to fix this? I feel that's what everyone says no matter the issue but, I need something I can feel, and practice.

Bridgestone Tour RX

You really should post face-on videos as well.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You really should post face-on videos as well.

I'll start doing that on my next one.

• Thanks 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

Heres a rear and front view. Working on shallowing out my downswing, and it seems to be opening up some other issues lol. Need to keep my left foot FLAT, and also took the club up to the top pretty steep. Looks though, that the club is much more shallow?

I'm glad I did front view. 😆 Looks horrendous!!

Bridgestone Tour RX

On 4/5/2024 at 6:41 AM, Mike_C said:

I started to hit practice shots by standing as close to the ball as I possibly could, and trying to stand much more upright at address.   The "fix" for this was actually to make a better swing, hips had to get out of the way and go back away from the ball, my spine then got into a better position at impact.  Your body kind of knows what to do to actually hit the ball and tries to compensate for errors made before you get down to the ball. It was very hard to grasp at first, but I at least got rid of the shanks.  Probably still EE compared to an ideal, but I don't have the moving towards the ball action anymore....

There's a YouTube video that I can no longer find. I'm not sure if it's a drill or just a "prove a point" sort of thing, but it's related to early extension and the worry that you don't have enough room to hit the ball.

Basically you set up with a pitching wedge with the ball either 12" or 6" in front of your toes, IIRC it was 6". Either way, it's MUCH closer than a typical setup. And you have to hit the ball. 

When you do it, your body will make room to allow you to hit the ball. IMHO you're so extended that close to the ball even to set up at address that you can't early extend further. 

I don't recall whether it's intended as a drill or whether it has value as such, and lost the YouTube link. But I think it has value to anyone who thinks that they can't physically do it properly to prove that they can. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

55 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Working on shallowing out my downswing...

Bill Hader Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

This is not the focus you want or need right now for several reasons. Correct "shallowing" in transition is almost never something you work on directly, and when you do it's *only* because half a dozen other things are already in a very fundamentally sound place. The reason for this is that a vast majority of the time any direct attempt to create "shallow" makes things worse, because lack of correct "shallowness" isn't a product of something that is missing that you need to create, it's a product of other things working directly against it. "Steepening moves" is how they've been referred to here, and the goal is to eliminate them to allow the correct downswing path. When you have moves that create steepness, attempting to "add shallowness" almost always breaks things, case in point:

olu41Takeaway.gif.4eaa57f2c250be0525855f9de472e930.gif

This backswing is very steep and lacking depth. Your throw the club way out in front of you which will only encourage a damaging loop where the club gets equally and oppositely stuck inside...

olu41Takeaway2.gif.9db79af1b97e559dcffe6ea4a784528b.gif

....which is exactly what happens here. This is textbook "dump the right shoulder -> lean back -> lose all tilt -> swing to right field" that gets you producing a clubface that is double digits from the inside:

olu41Takeaway3.gif.93db7aed72b8f010f454243af966d5d1.gif

Duck hooks and huge blocks are all that await you with this delivery, this is the reason for the "pump the brakes" gif as you've intuitively created a bunch of problems for yourself here that you'll just want to scrap. 

As for the face on angle (which is very helpful) you have a combination of simply getting too crunched down into your right side which doesn't give you enough time to re-center and get back left combined with far too little wrist set at the top. Getting your wrists working and creating speed is key to creating lag and being able to sequence it for speed. 

ScreenShot2024-04-08at4_20_07PM.png.e8241bf4444576ea1469952f82b4abcc.png

That right wrist needs both radial deviate (hinge upwards) and extend (fold back) a lot more to reach what would be considered "set". It's a big part of why your hands are trailing this severely in the downswing, no hand speed:

ScreenShot2024-04-08at4_21_58PM.png.4fdc8243079a9d62c59cde2eb2ef02f7.png

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

52 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

This is not the focus you want or need right now for several reasons. Correct "shallowing" in transition is almost never something you work on directly, and when you do it's *only* because half a dozen other things are already in a very fundamentally sound place. The reason for this is that a vast majority of the time any direct attempt to create "shallow" makes things worse, because lack of correct "shallowness" isn't a product of something that is missing that you need to create, it's a product of other things working directly against it. "Steepening moves" is how they've been referred to here, and the goal is to eliminate them to allow the correct downswing path. When you have moves that create steepness, attempting to "add shallowness" almost always breaks things, case in point:

This backswing is very steep and lacking depth. Your throw the club way out in front of you which will only encourage a damaging loop where the club gets equally and oppositely stuck inside...

....which is exactly what happens here. This is textbook "dump the right shoulder -> lean back -> lose all tilt -> swing to right field" that gets you producing a clubface that is double digits from the inside:

Duck hooks and huge blocks are all that await you with this delivery, this is the reason for the "pump the brakes" gif as you've intuitively created a bunch of problems for yourself here that you'll just want to scrap. 

As for the face on angle (which is very helpful) you have a combination of simply getting too crunched down into your right side which doesn't give you enough time to re-center and get back left combined with far too little wrist set at the top. Getting your wrists working and creating speed is key to creating lag and being able to sequence it for speed. 

That right wrist needs both radial deviate (hinge upwards) and extend (fold back) a lot more to reach what would be considered "set". It's a big part of why your hands are trailing this severely in the downswing, no hand speed:

This is amazing stuff! The shallowing thing is new as of today honestly. I figured I had my takeaway down pretty well. But this video obviously negates that. So at the top of my swing, I should be hinging my wrists, as to have the shaft more horizontal? Instead of at a 90 like it looks in the video?

Bridgestone Tour RX

56 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

How does one do this without getting the club super laid off at the top? My trail wrist is a bit messed up from a previous injury but if I extend it to a "waiter" position, the club gets Rahm levels of laid off and Rahm I am not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

There's a YouTube video that I can no longer find. I'm not sure if it's a drill or just a "prove a point" sort of thing, but it's related to early extension and the worry that you don't have enough room to hit the ball.

Basically you set up with a pitching wedge with the ball either 12" or 6" in front of your toes, IIRC it was 6". Either way, it's MUCH closer than a typical setup. And you have to hit the ball. 

When you do it, your body will make room to allow you to hit the ball. IMHO you're so extended that close to the ball even to set up at address that you can't early extend further. 

I don't recall whether it's intended as a drill or whether it has value as such, and lost the YouTube link. But I think it has value to anyone who thinks that they can't physically do it properly to prove that they can. 

I went back out for 10 or so minutes to try this. Not quite 6" close but, split the difference from normal.  And it seemed to help. Not sure if this is something I should practice? Or just get the feel for. 

Bridgestone Tour RX

I'm no instructor. But it took me over a year of playing/practicing 4 days a week, I'm retired, to come close to moving my hips correctly. I had the same toe misses.  I did not hit a full iron in nearly a year working on this. Even when playing on the course I used 1/2 swings on everything.  Taking as much as 3 to 4 clubs extra on every shot. Practicing and changing required thousands of 8 irons to the 100 yard flag.  8 is my 140 yard club.  After a full year of practicing this move I can now hit some full shots.  Though the half shots are much more accurate so I still use them a lot.

26 minutes ago, colu41 said:

This is amazing stuff! The shallowing thing is new as of today honestly. I figured I had my takeaway down pretty well. But this video obviously negates that. So at the top of my swing, I should be hinging my wrists, as to have the shaft more horizontal? Instead of at a 90 like it looks in the video?

21 minutes ago, Laaandry said:

How does one do this without getting the club super laid off at the top? My trail wrist is a bit messed up from a previous injury but if I extend it to a "waiter" position, the club gets Rahm levels of laid off and Rahm I am not.

Great questions and these are connected. To the first @colu41, yes BUT I would encourage wrist hinging far earlier than that because *late* hinging can be just as bad as incomplete hinging. I recommend Padraig's wrist drill exercises to get them moving and creating speed a lot, especially in your case @colu41 because you're very stiff and "wide to wide" with your hands in the sense that you never fully engage them in the way they need to be engaged to create speed/lag/all that good stuff and thus your hands and arms lag behind. BUT, in doing this you often run into exactly what @Laaandry pointed out, which is where the other wrist comes in. Generally speaking the club gets across the line when the lead wrist (left in this case) cups, and this is often an automatic/sympathetic reaction to extending the right (trail) wrist more:

image.png.63b59f3d73d01a9a07bfddd81906f370.png

There are other reasons this can happen, but in the context of this convo it's the main one. This is where I recommend getting in front of a mirror and messing with your wrist conditions at the top of the swing to lineup what feels like what in relation to where the club is pointing. I know for me personally I have to keep a very close eye on my left wrist flatness because I have a tendency like most to let it get cupped in the backswing, and that is always bad for me. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

13 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Great questions and these are connected. To the first @colu41, yes BUT I would encourage wrist hinging far earlier than that because *late* hinging can be just as bad as incomplete hinging. I recommend Padraig's wrist drill exercises to get them moving and creating speed a lot, especially in your case @colu41 because you're very stiff and "wide to wide" with your hands in the sense that you never fully engage them in the way they need to be engaged to create speed/lag/all that good stuff and thus your hands and arms lag behind. BUT, in doing this you often run into exactly what @Laaandry pointed out, which is where the other wrist comes in. Generally speaking the club gets across the line when the lead wrist (left in this case) cups, and this is often an automatic/sympathetic reaction to extending the right (trail) wrist more:

image.png.63b59f3d73d01a9a07bfddd81906f370.png

There are other reasons this can happen, but in the context of this convo it's the main one. This is where I recommend getting in front of a mirror and messing with your wrist conditions at the top of the swing to lineup what feels like what in relation to where the club is pointing. I know for me personally I have to keep a very close eye on my left wrist flatness because I have a tendency like most to let it get cupped in the backswing, and that is always bad for me. 

I will start working on this tmrw! Will look into Padraigs exercises also.

Would this be the first thing you recommend I work on next?

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

13 minutes ago, colu41 said:

I will start working on this tmrw! Will look into Padraigs exercises also.

Would this be the first thing you recommend I work on next?

I don't want to step on anything that was said previously by just saying "yes focus on this only" because that isn't my place, but IMO the videos @GungHoGolf posted earlier, specifically this one at this time, contain a lot of the same things i'm getting at. The hinge, or lack thereof, is a common thread throughout your swings so far. You're very rigid and stiff from the elbow down and the inability thus far to create the proper hinging moves is definitely holding you back. Per that video above, your takeaways have all been varying degrees of "all turn, no hinge" and I like the 50/50 ratio Porzak mentions in that video. If you don't get the hinging right from P1 to P2 then it's often very difficult to introduce it later without things going off the rails. There are definitely high level golfers that don't adhere to this, but it's always due to deeply ingrained patterns from childhood that have been incorporated into their swing "DNA" and are never things we should consider as teachable. You've probably heard @MonteScheinblum address this via the "if 148 out of 150 tour players all do ______ similarly, you pay attention to that and not the two outliers", because those outliers are playing by a set of rules ingrained in them individually. 

The Padraig wrist drill stuff on the other hand is designed to get you basically doing the opposite of what you're doing right now IMO for the purpose of setting the extremes so you know where "middle" is, which is roughly where you want to be. Right now you're far too restricted in your hands/wrists and the Padraig video ideally gets you doing the opposite, all speed with just the hands and arms. If you can work with that to get a feel for how you need to be using those hands/wrists then it can be incorporated back into "full" swings. The Porzak blueprint of "hands always move in a straight line, half turn and half wrist hinge" can be the starting point for that.

One of the main lessons here is that hand path is sacred and you don't f*** with it to create different positions in the swing, and this is what tends to happen when the wrists don't hinge/load properly. Your takeaway and overall hand path was perfectly fine in the video you posted yesterday, but you completely changed it in the video today in an attempt to intuitively approach the concept of shallowing the club, and in doing so broke a bunch of things that wouldn't have broken if your takeaway and wrist hinging was working correctly.

• Like 2

Bridgestone 

6 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I don't want to step on anything that was said previously by just saying "yes focus on this only" because that isn't my place, but IMO the videos @GungHoGolf posted earlier, specifically this one at this time, contain a lot of the same things i'm getting at. The hinge, or lack thereof, is a common thread throughout your swings so far. You're very rigid and stiff from the elbow down and the inability thus far to create the proper hinging moves is definitely holding you back. Per that video above, your takeaways have all been varying degrees of "all turn, no hinge" and I like the 50/50 ratio Porzak mentions in that video. If you don't get the hinging right from P1 to P2 then it's often very difficult to introduce it later without things going off the rails. There are definitely high level golfers that don't adhere to this, but it's always due to deeply ingrained patterns from childhood that have been incorporated into their swing "DNA" and are never things we should consider as teachable. You've probably heard @MonteScheinblum address this via the "if 148 out of 150 tour players all do ______ similarly, you pay attention to that and not the two outliers", because those outliers are playing by a set of rules ingrained in them individually. 

The Padraig wrist drill stuff on the other hand is designed to get you basically doing the opposite of what you're doing right now IMO for the purpose of setting the extremes so you know where "middle" is, which is roughly where you want to be. Right now you're far too restricted in your hands/wrists and the Padraig video ideally gets you doing the opposite, all speed with just the hands and arms. If you can work with that to get a feel for how you need to be using those hands/wrists then it can be incorporated back into "full" swings. The Porzak blueprint of "hands always move in a straight line, half turn and half wrist hinge" can be the starting point for that.

One of the main lessons here is that hand path is sacred and you don't f*** with it to create different positions in the swing, and this is what tends to happen when the wrists don't hinge/load properly. Your takeaway and overall hand path was perfectly fine in the video you posted yesterday, but you completely changed it in the video today in an attempt to intuitively approach the concept of shallowing the club, and in doing so broke a bunch of things that wouldn't have broken if your takeaway and wrist hinging was working correctly.

I can't thank you enough for this. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

18 minutes ago, colu41 said:

I can't thank you enough for this. 

Cheers, look forward to the follow up! 

As it relates to the Padraig wrist drill stuff, I know you're just hitting into a net so you won't really be able to check this, but with shorter/mid irons you should only be about one club shorter using just hands/arms as Padraig states somewhere in that video. As the clubs get longer that will widen slightly, but it's important to understand how much speed really does come from the hands/arms. So much emphasis gets placed on all the "big muscle" body related moves + too many passing comments from pros and announcers talking about "taking the hands out" and having "quiet arms" that this gets overlooked to our detriment. The average pro that hits a "quiet hands/dead arm" iron shot is still deriving more speed from them than the average amateur an a stock shot, and certainly tons more than that same amatuer that hears those comments and shuts down their hand/arm action even further. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone 

21 hours ago, colu41 said:

Heres a rear and front view. Working on shallowing out my downswing, and it seems to be opening up some other issues lol. Need to keep my left foot FLAT, and also took the club up to the top pretty steep. Looks though, that the club is much more shallow?

I'm glad I did front view. 😆 Looks horrendous!!

I'm sorry but there's no way you've been doing the Dan C stick on the right side of your body drill with that backswing.     You are right back to no depth.   your hands are practically in line with your toes at lead arm parallel.    I feel like you are just chasing random things while never really correcting the original focus, which was getting more depth earlier per the start of this thread and Monte's suggestion to look at the Dan C alignment stick drill.  This is what Monte said in about the fifth post in this thread:

"Middle of your hands should be under your shoulder at least arm parallel and continue to turn back."

look at where your hands are in the above swing at lead arm parallel.

Edited by chigolfer1

21 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Spot on regarding dropping the right shoulder to shallow.    Monte shows this exact fault at the start of the below IG post.  (but like you also said, getting way ahead of himself anyway)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2Qot3UvFhk/

Edited by chigolfer1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chigolfer1 said:

I'm sorry but there's no way you've been doing the Dan C stick on the right side of your body drill with that backswing.     You are right back to no depth.   your hands are practically in line with your toes at lead arm parallel.    I feel like you are just chasing random things while never really correcting the original focus, which was getting more depth earlier per the start of this thread and Monte's suggestion to look at the Dan C alignment stick drill.  This is what Monte said in about the fifth post in this thread:

"Middle of your hands should be under your shoulder at least arm parallel and continue to turn back."

look at where your hands are in the above swing at lead arm parallel.

Yes I know. I was trying to implement what I was doing with my takeaway, along with attempting to shallow out my downswing and threw everything out of whack. Some of my previous videos showed a much better take away. 

I've also been suggested to start trying to hinge my wrists more in the backswing. So I've decided to work on that, along with the takeaway.

Here is my latest. Focusing only on my takeaway and wrist movement.

Edited by colu41

Bridgestone Tour RX

12 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Yes I know. I was trying to implement what I was doing with my takeaway, along with attempting to shallow out my downswing and threw everything out of whack. Some of my previous videos showed a much better take away. 

I've also been suggested to start trying to hinge my wrists more in the backswing. So I've decided to work on that, along with the takeaway.

Here is my latest. Focusing only on my takeaway and wrist movement.

nice job, backswing looks much, much better there DTL.  gotta work on the face on pivot (which I'm sure others will chime in on - you've got some hip sway/reverse pivot-y type action) but depth and wrist movements look a lot better

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

nice job, backswing looks much, much better there DTL.  gotta work on the face on pivot (which I'm sure others will chime in on - you've got some hip sway/reverse pivot-y type action) but depth and wrist movements look a lot better

Thanks. I'll probably just work on this, before moving to the next step. That is my biggest problem. Thinking I got something down, then move to the next issue.

Need to get some alignment sticks to actually do some of these drills properly also. I'll try to do that this weekend. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

Would also like to add, since I've seen a few comments on previous videos on my weight. 🤦‍♂️ I'm currently about 45 lbs down in the last two years, and am still going. In the next few weeks I should be sub 200 for the first time in 12 years. 🤷‍♂️ Although John Daly would disagree 😆, I think it can only help my swing in the future.

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour RX

45 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Would also like to add, since I've seen a few comments on previous videos on my weight. 🤦‍♂️ I'm currently about 45 lbs down in the last two years, and am still going. In the next few weeks I should be sub 200 for the first time in 12 years. 🤷‍♂️ Although John Daly would disagree 😆, I think it can only help my swing in the future.

Awesome! Keep up the hard work on both fronts (golf and fitness).

You should be proud of both, but like both, play the long game. Work hard at both for years……. Then they both become who you are rather than something that is work. 

• Like 1