Restoring Old Wilsons - Club Head and Which Grip?

Last year, my dad passed away and I am just now getting through most of his old stuff. One thing that I totally forgot about is that he kept my grandfather's old set of Wilson Dyna-Weight blades. They have a pretty decent patina on them (see photo) and the grips are as hard as a rock, but my dad and I always kicked around the idea of restoring them, and I'd like to do that now. I'm not really sure what the best way to proceed is, though.

Do I try to take off the patina and try to get them back to like-new-ish condition? Would it be better to just leave the patina on? And as far as grips go, I'm pretty sure I'm going with leather, but the current grips have this flat spot on them (has to be for hand alignment?) that I can't seem to find anywhere. Just go with leather and call it good?

Any thoughts/advice/guidance is appreciated. I'm planning on playing with these in an outing in June so I'd like to get a jump on it as soon as I can.

2024-03-25-09-06-43-934.jpg

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

18 minutes ago, spartan6910 said:

Last year, my dad passed away and I am just now getting through most of his old stuff. One thing that I totally forgot about is that he kept my grandfather's old set of Wilson Dyna-Weight blades. They have a pretty decent patina on them (see photo) and the grips are as hard as a rock, but my dad and I always kicked around the idea of restoring them, and I'd like to do that now. I'm not really sure what the best way to proceed is, though.

Do I try to take off the patina and try to get them back to like-new-ish condition? Would it be better to just leave the patina on? And as far as grips go, I'm pretty sure I'm going with leather, but the current grips have this flat spot on them (has to be for hand alignment?) that I can't seem to find anywhere. Just go with leather and call it good?

Any thoughts/advice/guidance is appreciated. I'm planning on playing with these in an outing in June so I'd like to get a jump on it as soon as I can.

If it were me, these clubs have a history which I wouldn't want to loose by over restoring to "new" condition. I would therefore go for a half way by cleaning up to remove the loose stuff. A lot of the rust speckles would disappear under a light clean with fine wire wool and some metal polish leaving the bag chatter, nicks and dinks created whilst your Grandfather enjoyed his golf with these clubs.

I imagine the shafts are in a similar condition and would also respond to a light clean?

The current grips with their "reminder", despite being rock hard, may respond to leather cleaners / reconditioners which is what I would try first before replacing. If you are not going to game them regularly then you may get just enough tackiness back for the occasional game you do play whilst retaining originality and same contact point as your Grandfather.

• Like 4

That is great advice. I really appreciate it!

• Thanks 1

Bettinardi Queen B #8

Lexol is one option to clean and soften those grips.  Grab a kit of their cleaner and conditioner, follow the directions and you may be quite pleased with the result.

i have a set of those irons, but lack a family history with mine.  I just like the way the look and play. Yours appear to be a year or two older.

IMG_0801.jpeg.27defa72188b82e378612ef6f54da6c1.jpeg

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

1 minute ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Lexol is one option to clean and soften those grips.  Grab a kit of their cleaner and conditioner, follow the directions and you may be quite pleased with the result.

i have a set of those irons, but lack a family history with mine.  I just like the way the look and play. Yours appear to be a year or two older.

IMG_0801.jpeg.27defa72188b82e378612ef6f54da6c1.jpeg

Unfortunately I never really learned the exact history of them. I know they were my grandfather's, but don't really know when he got them, how much he played, etc. He passed away when I was 3 years old so I didn't get to have those conversations. But we obviously kept them for a reason so I think it's time to spruce them up a bit.

Thanks for the Lexol recommendation. I'll look into that, too. I currently have some leather cleaner/conditioner that is intended for car seat use so I was going to try that first, but may give Lexol a go if that doesn't seem to work.

• Like 2

Bettinardi Queen B #8

18 hours ago, spartan6910 said:

Using the Kaplan Wilson guide, these irons first appeared as a "new" design in 1950.  With the '51 being the same.  

The original grip descriptive:  "Finest brown calfskin Gruv-Grip with Reminder feature".  Solid advice above on restoration.  Adding to the information. The first step is a thorough cleaning to remove year's worth of accumulated grim and grunge.  I'm hesitate to use so called one step cleaner/conditioners.  Don't find them to be entirely affective at either.  Achieve good results with saddle soap.  Using a sponge, a good lather on the grips, wipe, and let dry.  Repeat if necessary.  The grips need to be as clean as possible before applying a leather conditioner.  I'm a big believer in using Lexol (as mentioned).  It contains emollients that are absorbed into the leather, softening and conditioning.  After cleaning and a dry grip, apply with a rag (old cotton t-shirt) and let dry.  On really old and dry leather, I'll do a second application.  It's inexpensive, cut to the chase.  I'm amazed how old leather grips can be restored and made usable once again.  

One's person's "patina" is another person's rust.  Do as you choose, but I would give them a mild restoration by removing the rust spots.  I use a coke soak over night, then a scrub with #0000 steel wool.  A brass brush for stubborn spots.  Not much one can do with rust pitting.  Tidy them up, it's easy.  Don't bother with character marks, for reasons already mentioned.   An application of metal polish to shine and protect.  I like Simichrome, but others will do.  If your adept, shine up the ferrules with Acetone.  Otherwise, a cloth with a dab of toothpaste.  Use #0000 steel wool on the shafts to remove surface rust spots.  You won't scratch the chrome plating.  Needless to say, avoid shaft labels if present.  

Then place them in the bag and play.  Knowing that in your hands is a connection back in time to your Grandfather.  One Spartan to another.  Go Green.  

A photo of the reference page if you're curious.  

DC3D655E-48D0-48D5-91B3-6777EFA8E7E2_1_201_a.jpeg.3ddbf9e5034c75eb2e0d6bfbfa02a5b7.jpeg

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

@spartan6910

Do you have the persimmon woods to go with the irons?

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Using the Kaplan Wilson guide, these irons first appeared as a "new" design in 1950.  With the '51 being the same.  

The original grip descriptive:  "Finest brown calfskin Gruv-Grip with Reminder feature".  Solid advice above on restoration.  Adding to the information. The first step is a thorough cleaning to remove year's worth of accumulated grim and grunge.  I'm hesitate to use so called one step cleaner/conditioners.  Don't find them to be entirely affective at either.  Achieve good results with saddle soap.  Using a sponge, a good lather on the grips, wipe, and let dry.  Repeat if necessary.  The grips need to be as clean as possible before applying a leather conditioner.  I'm a big believer in using Lexol (as mentioned).  It contains emollients that are absorbed into the leather, softening and conditioning.  After cleaning and a dry grip, apply with a rag (old cotton t-shirt) and let dry.  On really old and dry leather, I'll do a second application.  It's inexpensive, cut to the chase.  I'm amazed how old leather grips can be restored and made usable once again.  

One's person's "patina" is another person's rust.  Do as you choose, but I would give them a mild restoration by removing the rust spots.  I use a coke soak over night, then a scrub with #0000 steel wool.  A brass brush for stubborn spots.  Not much one can do with rust pitting.  Tidy them up, it's easy.  Don't bother with character marks, for reasons already mentioned.   An application of metal polish to shine and protect.  I like Simichrome, but others will do.  If your adept, shine up the ferrules with Acetone.  Otherwise, a cloth with a dab of toothpaste.  Use #0000 steel wool on the shafts to remove surface rust spots.  You won't scratch the chrome plating.  Needless to say, avoid shaft labels if present.  

Then place them in the bag and play.  Knowing that in your hands is a connection back in time to your Grandfather.  One Spartan to another.  Go Green.  

A photo of the reference page if you're curious.  

DC3D655E-48D0-48D5-91B3-6777EFA8E7E2_1_201_a.jpeg.3ddbf9e5034c75eb2e0d6bfbfa02a5b7.jpeg

This is fantastic stuff, thank you! I love the info sheet...that's a big help with this history of them!

Go White

Bettinardi Queen B #8

2 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

@spartan6910

Do you have the persimmon woods to go with the irons?

I do. Not the same brand, but he had a 1-3-5 set of Cleveland Classics. I actually hit the 1 at my sim league last night and it feels so damn pure.

• Like 2

Bettinardi Queen B #8

35 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Caution on using those, some have silicone in them, you don’t want that, slippery.   

Appreciate that. I'll definitely check the ingredients list.

• Like 1

Bettinardi Queen B #8

39 minutes ago, bcstones said:

gotta ask - says who? The USGA? The R&A? Since when do they push their way into personal play between friends or any such play on any course that is not a sanctioned event?

Yes, the USGA and R&A.  Not a case of pushing.   They set the rules for The Game of Golf.    If you do post scores using their handicapping system, GHIN etc. those scores are required to be played in conformance with the Rules, even in non-sanctioned events.  

You’re absolutely free to play the game as you see fit, they won’t come after you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, st1800e said:

Yes, the USGA and R&A.  Not a case of pushing.   They set the rules for The Game of Golf.    If you do post scores using their handicapping system, GHIN etc. those scores are required to be played in conformance with the Rules, even in non-sanctioned events.  

You’re absolutely free to play the game as you see fit, they won’t come after you.

first off, I figured that st1800's mention of grips w/the flat side referred to "reminder" grips, which USGA/R&A did make "non-conforming"....for use in their sanctioned events. 

next, this section of WRX is "Classic Golf"....depending on your definition of "classic" (mine is all clubs 1993 & earlier...others may say pre-2000) I'm guessing that most, if not all, "classic" clubs are non-conforming to USGA/R&A current rules, so "illegal" is irrelevant to "sanctioned" play (just to be clear - I'm using "classic" to mean the same as "vintage"). I can't think of any course that would refuse to allow me to play w/my Dad's 1940s Spalding set of clubs on a normal day.

As for scoring/handicapping....I don't care much, again it matters pretty much in "sanctioned" events.

I'm curious - just what is a "non-sanctioned event" that plays by current USGA/R&A rules?

oh, gotta thank you for the laughter when I read the last sentence "You're absoluteluy free to play the game as you see fit, they won't come after you"....absolutely hilarious!🤣

• Like 2

7 hours ago, st1800e said:

One of the reasons our league uses the I cap system. On equipment we do not use USGA or R&A guidelines.

Now if one wants to argue about the handicaps being legit there is latitude in the Rules about what is deemed by a local committee. I have always stood by the fact that most of our vintage clubs like Wilson Macgregor etc. were conforming on the date of manufacture. Most of the time according to the rules a club is simply "non conforming" because it has not been tested and submitted for approval. A good example for conforming "Vintage" clubs is the Hogan 99 Apex. Someone somewhere submitted a set and they checked ok and were approved. I will also submit that most of our vintage irons if they were to be tested would pass. Now I will not go into the Ping rabbit hole here because I am not a Ping expert and get easily confused on the "plus no plus thing". As far as I am concerned you can play what you want to if you play golf with me.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

first off, I figured that st1800's mention of grips w/the flat side referred to "reminder" grips, which USGA/R&A did make "non-conforming"....for use in their sanctioned events. 

next, this section of WRX is "Classic Golf"....depending on your definition of "classic" (mine is all clubs 1993 & earlier...others may say pre-2000) I'm guessing that most, if not all, "classic" clubs are non-conforming to USGA/R&A current rules, so "illegal" is irrelevant to "sanctioned" play (just to be clear - I'm using "classic" to mean the same as "vintage"). I can't think of any course that would refuse to allow me to play w/my Dad's 1940s Spalding set of clubs on a normal day.

As for scoring/handicapping....I don't care much, again it matters pretty much in "sanctioned" events.

I'm curious - just what is a "non-sanctioned event" that plays by current USGA/R&A rules?

oh, gotta thank you for the laughter when I read the last sentence "You're absoluteluy free to play the game as you see fit, they won't come after you"....absolutely hilarious!🤣

It goes on the lines of what I said years ago when I drew my line in the sand against the USGA and R&A-----

What are they going to do if I am playing a round with my "non conforming" vintage Macs or Hogans? Send a drone to gun me down on the first fairway?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Even to the point that for our Persimmon Revival Open and other P&B events in the UK you are free to play whichever ball size you prefer.

The scores do not get added into the handicapping system.

Which is the way we like it.

Speaking of the small balls I hit the ones you sent me on the Par3 course a few shots. That course is right by the ocean so it gets good winds thinking on the lines of St Andrews or Carnoustie here. The greens are elevated and are small and have a lot of undulation. Tricky to putt. The longest hole is only like 110 yards. I played it that one day and it was windy with the small balls and just a 5 iron and putter. LOL putted a 10 footer all the way off of one green. Had a 10 footer going down and a 45 ft going up the hill for the par. LOL I even barely nudged it with a toe putt off of a Bullseye. Really for me when doing this it is all about the fun and not the score. I always use either a balata ball or a wound Maxfli Elite 90. I always play it with vintage sticks. I have played it with everything from my FC-4000s to my 3800 Pyratone Tommy Armours. I have also played a couple of rounds with my mismatched hickory sticks too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Speaking of the small balls I hit the ones you sent me on the Par3 course a few shots. That course is right by the ocean so it gets good winds thinking on the lines of St Andrews or Carnoustie here. The greens are elevated and are small and have a lot of undulation. Tricky to putt. The longest hole is only like 110 yards. I played it that one day and it was windy with the small balls and just a 5 iron and putter. LOL putted a 10 footer all the way off of one green. Had a 10 footer going down and a 45 ft going up the hill for the par. LOL I even barely nudged it with a toe putt off of a Bullseye. Really for me when doing this it is all about the fun and not the score. I always use either a balata ball or a wound Maxfli Elite 90. I always play it with vintage sticks. I have played it with everything from my FC-4000s to my 3800 Pyratone Tommy Armours. I have also played a couple of rounds with my mismatched hickory sticks too.

Ah, the true spirit of golf is alive and well in America. Great to hear Stu. Were the balls ok? Not too soft?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It goes on the lines of what I said years ago when I drew my line in the sand against the USGA and R&A-----

What are they going to do if I am playing a round with my "non conforming" vintage Macs or Hogans? Send a drone to gun me down on the first fairway?

When you venture into the ball rollback discussions in other sections of this place, it seems there are many who think the USGA and R&A have some sort of legally binding authority.  They don't understand that those organizations only have the authority which anyone chooses to grant them, whether that is an individual, a foursome, etc. all the way up to the professional tours.

That is why they have no ability to make any significant change to the rules regarding the ball.  If they attempted a truly significant rollback, the PGA Tour would just declare they are playing by their own rules going forward and the golf world would follow them, rendering the USGA and R&A even more irrelevant than they already are.

It used to bother me, but I don't care anymore.  After three back surgeries, along with being humiliated by Father Time, I need a ball that goes farther, not shorter.

• Like 3

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

4 hours ago, bcstones said:

depending on your definition of "classic" (mine is all clubs 1993 & earlier...others may say pre-2000) I'm guessing that most, if not all, "classic" clubs are non-conforming to USGA/R&A current rules

I am curious why you would think this?

If it's related to the groove rule, that "at least until 2024" provision has not been made active, which means all pre-existing clubs are still conforming.  There is an announcement that must precede any such action regarding those pre-2010 clubs that has not come.  When contacted, the ruling bodies indicated there would be a four year window (minimum) after said announcement, during which the clubs would still conform, before "full implementation" of the goofy groove rule would take place.

Aside from that, anything produced prior to 1985 is almost certainly conforming, if it hasn't been modified in some way.  While the square groove was approved by the ruling bodies in 1982, they didn't actually debut until the very end of 1984, with the Ping Eye2.  Everything sold then and earlier would therefore have V grooves. 

By their nature, V grooves are almost certainly conforming; it would take a catastrophically deep v groove to violate the volume provisions of the groove rule.  

All that posted with apologies if you're referring to something else entirely.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

the Ping rabbit hole

Hola Stu!

Since you mentioned Ping, I feel like making my usual comment about the Eye2.  🙂

The Ping Eye2, the original v groove model, AND the square groove model that caused all the controversy in the 80s, are deemed conforming by the USGA forever.  This due to the litigation settlement that related to the Eye2.

So if you've got Eye2 irons, you never have to worry.  

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The OP made a simple inquiry.  What could he do to tidy up his Grandfather's old set of Wilson irons to play at an upcoming outing.  The topic has no morphed into illegality of grips, conforming and non-conforming clubs, the hot button ball rollback, the influence (or lack thereof) of the governing powers that be, sanctioned and non-sanctioned.  Did I miss anything?

I get it.  These are weighty issues around WRX'ville.  And have been discussed ad nauseam.  In my golfing circle, you know how many of the hoi polloi have a modicum of understanding or pay the least bit of attention to this shizzle......Zero.  It's irrelevant.  Play your best however you want.  

I'm stocked up on 'go to far' balls, so I'm good.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

28 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

The OP made a simple inquiry.  What could he do to tidy up his Grandfather's old set of Wilson irons to play at an upcoming outing.  The topic has no morphed into illegality of grips, conforming and non-conforming clubs, the hot button ball rollback, the influence (or lack thereof) of the governing powers that be, sanctioned and non-sanctioned.  Did I miss anything?

I get it.  These are weighty issues around WRX'ville.  And have been discussed ad nauseam.  In my golfing circle, you know how many of the hoi polloi have a modicum of understanding or pay the least bit of attention to this shizzle......Zero.  It's irrelevant.  Play your best however you want.  

I'm stocked up on 'go to far' balls, so I'm good.  

Just some good conversation among friends.

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

10 hours ago, bcstones said:

First off here is a list of USGA “sanctioned” events.  
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/golf-schedule-scores-tickets.html

Lots of other events out there that play by the Rules of Golf.   Right down to club competitions such as club championships, match play brackets,   member guest etc. 

There's a difference between “sanctioned” and “by the rules of golf”. 

Classic/vintage clubs  from the ‘50’s and later , (leaving ping out of this discussion) would be conforming to today’s rules, grip design aside. Just because they haven’t been tested, doesn’t mean they’re not conforming. 

No “course” is going to prevent you from playing classic clubs, how would they do so, check everyone’s clubs on the first tee?

If you’re playing a competition or a game under the Rules of Golf, using a grip reminder feature, you’re not in compliance.  Simple fact.  

I’m not passing judgement, or saying you cant use them.  

“As for scoring/handicapping....I don't care much”. That’s all good, carry on and keep enjoying your golf.  I’m not saying, and I doubt anyone would say you can’t use them on a golf course.  

I wish I had kept my first few sets of clubs so I could play a few games with them again….Macgregor DX tourneys , Wilson K28’s (which had the reminder grips) and  Powerbilt Citations.  

Edited by st1800e
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Shallowface said:

When you venture into the ball rollback discussions in other sections of this place, it seems there are many who think the USGA and R&A have some sort of legally binding authority.  They don't understand that those organizations only have the authority which anyone chooses to grant them, whether that is an individual, a foursome, etc. all the way up to the professional tours.

That is why they have no ability to make any significant change to the rules regarding the ball.  If they attempted a truly significant rollback, the PGA Tour would just declare they are playing by their own rules going forward and the golf world would follow them, rendering the USGA and R&A even more irrelevant than they already are.

It used to bother me, but I don't care anymore.  After three back surgeries, along with being humiliated by Father Time, I need a ball that goes farther, not shorter.

I think most people within their respective groups play their own rules. My own League has some of their rules. We have a root rule where one is allowed complete relief from tree roots and is allowed to place the ball. Since our traps are poorly maintained and people do not rake we are allowed to lift and place in the traps one club length. If there is a rake present we are allowed to rake and place. We are also allowed one club length in the fairways. March 1 to Oct 1 it is down in the rough. Last summer I tried in a daily play to get them to play down everywhere and had the league President talked into it. Then someone remarked it was in the League by laws to improve lies in the fairway and the trap thing. Some of the guys keep a GHIN handicap and play other events. Someone brought up that it was not legit because of some of our league rules. I told them yes it was because of the provisions set in the rules about modified local rules. 

I can remember when the anchoring ban took effect. All the local leagues voted individually to disregard the ban. A lot of the retiree members had back problems and were going to quit the game all together. One other guy and myself were the only 2 putting with broomsticks. I never anchored to begin with and he putts with a 42 inch but is like an arm lock side straddle thing. I have went back conventional for now.

I can remember when the anchor thing was a hot topic. My buds and I got paired up with an older gentleman whom I had seen on the putting green with a broomstick. When the paired us up he said something like on the line of I putt with a long putter and I anchor. He started to explain why which I interrupted him with No one in this group gives two rips if you anchor or not or if you stuck it up your wazoo and putted with it. He looked relieved. He ended up riding with me that day. He told me he had been in an devasting accident and it was the only way he could play. What he told me next appalled me. He had actually been paired before with people that said something about it. I asked him if it was a US Open field or stipulated event? He said no. I asked if it was a money match? and he said no that he did not bet on golf. I could not figure what was wrong with people. We told him he was welcome to play with us at any time that no one in our bunch gave 2 rips what equipment someone played

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Hola Stu!

Since you mentioned Ping, I feel like making my usual comment about the Eye2.  🙂

The Ping Eye2, the original v groove model, AND the square groove model that caused all the controversy in the 80s, are deemed conforming by the USGA forever.  This due to the litigation settlement that related to the Eye2.

So if you've got Eye2 irons, you never have to worry.  

Now correct me on this if I am wrong. I know Karsten got an injunction against the USGA because he simply said he could break the USGA in court battles so he got the injunction.

Now when he passed his son John inherited the right to oversee the injunction. I was under the impression that John (which was his right) at urging of the USGA got the injunction lifted "for the betterment of the game" I do know now Ping was remaking Eye2 wedges that are conforming.

I may not have this per say correct and may be confused so you or anyone else correct me on this feel free to do so

10 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Now correct me on this if I am wrong. I know Karsten got an injunction against the USGA because he simply said he could break the USGA in court battles so he got the injunction.

Now when he passed his son John inherited the right to oversee the injunction. I was under the impression that John (which was his right) at urging of the USGA got the injunction lifted "for the betterment of the game" I do know now Ping was remaking Eye2 wedges that are conforming.

I may not have this per say correct and may be confused so you or anyone else correct me on this feel free to do so

The injunction was only an early step in the process , to delay the USGA enforcement banning those particular Ping clubs until the case was settled in court.  When it was settled by agreement of the USGA and Ping, some Ping clubs were grandfathered as conforming as part of the settlement. But not in R&A jurisdictions as the R&A were not part of the lawsuit or settlement.  

Here’s the current status as stated by Ping.   

https://ping.com/en-us/legal/groove-rule

• Thanks 2