Maltby Irons TS4 vs TS1 IM vs TS1

Looking into Maltby irons. My current clubs are from 2009 and the technology seems dated. Now that the kids are older I'm planning on getting out more frequently once the snow melts! I hit the ball far and super high but tend to push and pull at times. Im looking into the TS4, TS 1 IM and TS 1. Which of these are blades? I don't think I want blades. I really like the look of the TS1 IM but was curious if they would be too difficult for me to hit consistently. I am a 12 handicap. Are those blades or considered cavity back with the polymer filler? Sorry, trying to get back into golf but there are so many options.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

The TS1 and TS1M are polymer filled, the TS4 is a muscle back with a toe side tungsten weight.

I have the TS1 and TS4.  Just started with the TS4 and like the feel slightly better than the TS1 but barely.  The TS1 is a touch more forgiving.  I think the TS1 at $40 each is a good value.  I haven’t looked up the cost of a Golfworks TS1 pack but I’m sure it will be decent

Edited by taki27
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, taki27 said:

The TS1 and TS1M are polymer filled, the TS4 is a muscle back with a toe side tungsten weight.

I have the TS1 and TS4.  Just started with the TS4 and like the feel slightly better than the TS1 but barely.  The TS1 is a touch more forgiving.  I think the TS1 at $40 each is a good value.  I haven’t looked up the cost of a Golfworks TS1 pack but I’m sure it will be decent

Is polymer filled the same as cavity back? I guess it would just be a filled cavity…!?

22 hours ago, Hkyglf28 said:

Looking into Maltby irons. My current clubs are from 2009 and the technology seems dated. Now that the kids are older I'm planning on getting out more frequently once the snow melts! I hit the ball far and super high but tend to push and pull at times. Im looking into the TS4, TS 1 IM and TS 1. Which of these are blades? I don't think I want blades. I really like the look of the TS1 IM but was curious if they would be too difficult for me to hit consistently. I am a 12 handicap. Are those blades or considered cavity back with the polymer filler? Sorry, trying to get back into golf but there are so many options.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

If you look at the MPF ratings and specs of those heads, they are not all that different.  A lot comes down to eye appeal and feel.  Do not rule out the KE4 Max and the STi2 heads or paks.  Both will be more forgiving and both look much better in person than the Golfworks images.  

Check out the very long "Maltby TS2" thread for lots of Maltby info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

I actually think the smaller than a shovel head helped me improve contact somehow.  

Agree. I hit the TE+ V4, TS3 and TS1-IM. I thought they were all very playable. The TS1-IM has the most retained ball speed (for me) on a mishit. The TS3s were good all arounders, except the CG was too low,  and I just didn't love their look -- TS1-IMs ended up being much better for my delivery. The TE+ V4 (DBM) looked awesome but I felt the CG was also too low for me in those which caused me hit these "dead" shots when I got a little steep. Even though they look very different, I think the main difference I saw in them was the vertical center of gravity which I found is ideally, for me, to be .750 - .775. 

All of the Maltbys will help vs most traditional irons because the hosel is shorter which moves the CG more central (I am a huge believer in this). Unless you have a ton of heel misses, the tungsten in the toe is amazing. I had Ben Hogan PTxPros before my TS1-IMs (which beat out a ton of other irons notably the Cobra MIM Tour, Mizuno JPX and MMC, Sub 70 639 CB, Callaway Apex Pro) and really liked those but the TS1-IM just gives me a little bit more help even though the sole is narrower and I have some cheaper shafts in it (FST 125). Just really liking these clubs and I actually sold off my Hogans even though I was confident I would keep them. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

5 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Agree. I hit the TE+ V4, TS3 and TS1-IM. I thought they were all very playable. The TS1-IM has the most retained ball speed (for me) on a mishit. The TS3s were good all arounders, except the CG was too low,  and I just didn't love their look -- TS1-IMs ended up being much better for my delivery. The TE+ V4 (DBM) looked awesome but I felt the CG was also too low for me in those which caused me hit these "dead" shots when I got a little steep. Even though they look very different, I think the main difference I saw in them was the vertical center of gravity which I found is ideally, for me, to be .750 - .775. 

All of the Maltbys will help vs most traditional irons because the hosel is shorter which moves the CG more central (I am a huge believer in this). Unless you have a ton of heel misses, the tungsten in the toe is amazing. I had Ben Hogan PTxPros before my TS1-IMs (which beat out a ton of other irons notably the Cobra MIM Tour, Mizuno JPX and MMC, Sub 70 639 CB, Callaway Apex Pro) and really liked those but the TS1-IM just gives me a little bit more help even though the sole is narrower and I have some cheaper shafts in it (FST 125). Just really liking these clubs and I actually sold off my Hogans even though I was confident I would keep them. 

DId you try the TE4? 

I was just wondering how they compare with the tungsten weighting in all but the 9-GW.   For what looks to be a blade, they appear to be very forgiving....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

DId you try the TE4? 

I assume you mean the TS4, I did not. I, too, am scared/apprehensive about playing "blades" especially as more and more tour players migrate away from them. To be honest, they would likely have been a better fit for me than the TS3 given the VCOG and the narrower sole. I am confident I could likely play them but I like the off center forgiveness the TS1-IMs have with the flex face and tungsten through the set. The only complaint I have, and it is minor, is that the TS1-IMs are a little hot to chip with vs a standard blade wedge (for obvious reasons). I have not hit any "low spin fliers" out of the fairway with them through 6 rounds. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I have played the TS1-IM and TS3.  I bought the TS3 before the TS1-IM's came out and really like them.  Like Vandyfan said, the amount of weight that has been moved to the lower part of the club and toe instead of being used in a longer hosel is noticeable.  It can, however, become a pain of sorts if you're trying to install a set of used shaft pulls.  I bought a TS1-IM 7 iron head to experiment with and found similar results on a launch monitor and from fairway lies, but the TS3 was a little easier to get a ball airborn out of the rough with it's lower center of gravity.  While I preferred the slightly smaller appearance of the TS1-IM (even though the blade length is actually just a hair longer), the actual results had me stick with the TS3's.  I'm about a 14 handicap for reference.  Had I waited and bought the TS1-IM's first, I probably wouldn't have enough reason to switch over to the TS3's.

• Like 2

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

9 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I assume you mean the TS4, I did not. I, too, am scared/apprehensive about playing "blades" especially as more and more tour players migrate away from them. To be honest, they would likely have been a better fit for me than the TS3 given the VCOG and the narrower sole. I am confident I could likely play them but I like the off center forgiveness the TS1-IMs have with the flex face and tungsten through the set. The only complaint I have, and it is minor, is that the TS1-IMs are a little hot to chip with vs a standard blade wedge (for obvious reasons). I have not hit any "low spin fliers" out of the fairway with them through 6 rounds. 

Yes I did, thanks.  Their MPF is shockingly high for a blade, don't know if that also applies in the 9-GW. I have thought of trying out a mixed set.  I demoed the TS1 IM in a shop and got very good numbers, but I also did pretty good with the TS3s, hadn't hit the TS4s.  I could see blending them though, TS4 7-GW, and one of the others in the mid/long irons....., but I could also see using the TE+ V4 in the short irons....  

I must say, just looking down at address they are all beautiful heads, and the feel off the face in the TS3 and TS1 IM was just wonderful.....

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I liked the TS4 the most over the TS1-IM and TS3. I have a set of TS3s that I liked but I sometimes feel that the VCOG was too low for me. When stuck pure they feel and perform great, but I tend to strike the ball a little higher in the face at times. I tested the TS1-IM and the TS4 this winter and after a few sim rounds with both 7 irons I went with the TS4. The TS4 doesnt look forgiving but I found it to be surprisingly forgiving for a blade. During my testing the TS4 spun more than the TS1-IM and still performed well on mishits. TS1-IM is still a great iron and I honestly wouldn't have any issue playing either iron I just liked the TS4 a little more.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 10:34 AM, Hkyglf28 said:

I have a ts1 IM 7i head I could send for you to try

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x