Help me pick new irons

hh2nd

I’m torn between new Mizunos or new Titleist. I’ve hit both, and love both. In the Mizuno, the MP 243 really feels great and I’m contemplating doing a combo set that is 4-6 in the 245 and 7-GW in the 243. A smidge of extra forgiveness and getting to play such a good looking iron in the 245 is very attractive. The T150 is also a great option. Would not do a combo set there because the T200 still has the plastic badge, no matter what Titleist says. 

numbers are great on both. Only problem is that I have not been able to hit the Mizunos outside. Turf interaction on the Titleist is good. 

I currently play JPX 825 Pro and the MP 32 before that. Haven’t upgraded in quite a while, but no exactly how far my current irons go. Have a lot of friends that play the new T150 and have been seduced a little with the shiny new clubs. 

the Maltby chart says the 243 and the T150 are both easier to hit than my current irons. 

I know there are several threads already here, but I may just use this thread as an unofficial poll. 

help me! What do I buy??

current index is a 7

There's a whole thread on exactly 243 vs T150. A lot of people liked the 243. You can't go wrong with either so just pick for the feel you like, bag appeal and how it fits your eye when you line up (head size, offset, etc).

I have T150's and really love them! They probably aren't as soft feeling as the 243s, but the feedback of strike is very good and if you are a good ball striker, I personally think it feels soft and powerful. 

Either way, you're going to love what you buy! One more I'll throw in there though... I recently hit the 245 and the Ping Blueprint S. It wasn't even close. Blueprint S is something else. If I was buying today, I would probably get the Blueprints 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bogeypro said:

Cleveland VAS.  

I'm always an hour or two late...

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag

I just ordered Ping i530s, but I hit both of these in fitting.  For me the MPs were much nicer off both turf and mats.  

That said, I opted for a little more help, which is why the i530s were better for me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 - Accra FX 3.0 100 Series 40g M3
Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping s159 52 S/12, 56 S/12 + 60 H/8
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

3 hours ago, hh2nd said:

Why combo at 4 and not 6?

- You won't need to bend them. 

- The 243 are already a blended set designed to play as a whole set

- Consistent look and feel from 5 iron to PW. The 243 & 245 were designed for different players with different needs. You either need what the 245 provides you or what the 243 provides you, but you don't need both. The 243 long irons are long and forgiving.

- The direction you go with the 4 iron will depend on how you use it and what you need to get out of it. 245 is great off the tee on short par 4s and long par 3s, but if you use your 4 iron mostly for low punch shots out of the rough then go with the 243 4 iron. It will get through the thick stuff easier. There's a lot of other different directions you can go at the 4 iron slot too. Driving iron, hybrid, fairway wood. I don't consider my 4 iron a part of my irons. I look at it as a driving iron that bridges the gap between my 5 iron and 7 wood. 

- Easier to resell a whole set

I went with this makeup with the 223/225 per the Mizuno rep's recommendations and have never had an issue with gapping. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hh2nd said:

Why combo at 4 and not 6?

The 243 is a blended set of it's own.  No need to blend or combo, it's such a fantastic club!   Same with T150, so forgiving for it's size

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, Frank Newport said:

- You won't need to bend them. 

- The 243 are already a blended set designed to play as a whole set

- Consistent look and feel from 5 iron to PW. The 243 & 245 were designed for different players with different needs. You either need what the 245 provides you or what the 243 provides you, but you don't need both. The 243 long irons are long and forgiving.

- The direction you go with the 4 iron will depend on how you use it and what you need to get out of it. 245 is great off the tee on short par 4s and long par 3s, but if you use your 4 iron mostly for low punch shots out of the rough then go with the 243 4 iron. It will get through the thick stuff easier. There's a lot of other different directions you can go at the 4 iron slot too. Driving iron, hybrid, fairway wood. I don't consider my 4 iron a part of my irons. I look at it as a driving iron that bridges the gap between my 5 iron and 7 wood. 

- Easier to resell a whole set

I went with this makeup with the 223/225 per the Mizuno rep's recommendations and have never had an issue with gapping. 

thank you. Great info here. I use 4 iron for 3 specific tee shots at my home course, and could use it for another one when fairways are firm. Sounds like 245 in the 4 iron may be the way to go. 

no, you'd blame me when they fail and give me bad vibes.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

21 minutes ago, hh2nd said:

thank you. Great info here. I use 4 iron for 3 specific tee shots at my home course, and could use it for another one when fairways are firm. Sounds like 245 in the 4 iron may be the way to go. 

It's a great alternative to fairway woods and hybrids if you're trying to avoid the long left miss. 

I agree with @Stavo - T150 and 243 are both amazing irons and you should go with what you like the look/feel of the most. I doubt you'll see a meaningful performance difference between the two.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I'm the guy who is on the record extolling the virtues of the T150. I'm a decent ball striker (5HC) and I have no problem with them at all. I've got Axiom 105s in them and they go high and straight. I have absolutely zero run out with these clubs on greens, so spin numbers are long forgotten (...with a 7 iron they were around 5K). This set up is easily the best I've ever had. I like them so much I've considered buying another set of heads. Love 'em.

Today I had the opportunity to hit the 243s and 245s paired w/ DG 105s. Compared to the T150s, my numbers with the 243s suggest that they're about 5 yards longer (carry) and deliver about 10% more spin (5.5K-5.7K) However, my descent angles (42*) were lower (lower peak height averages). I'm confident the Axioms will deliver a positive bump in peak height, so I'm not too worried about stopping power. Feel is subjective. I love my T150s, but the 243s feel better. Probably splitting hairs on the forgiveness front, but I think the 243s may be a little easier. That said, the comments about the T150s being good on thin strikes (low on the face) are 100% true.

After hitting the 243s, I expected the 245s would strike me as chunky at address. They didn't. They looked great. I hit them almost exactly as I should have --a 7 iron hit like a well struck 6 iron-- with about 12%-15% less spin than the 243s. Peak height and descent angles were about the same as the 243s. Again, my experience indicates the Axioms will deliver a higher ball flight. Maybe even longer --which would not be welcome. In terms of 245s vs 243s forgiveness, I must say that I didn't notice much of a difference. Both seem more forgiving on misses than the T150, but like I said, I don't have problems with the T150. In terms of feel, I do not agree with the prevailing opinion that the 245s feel better than the T150s. 243s (yes) 245s (no). I actually prefer the feel of the T150s versus the 245s.

This is a tough one. I have no business buying another set and there sure as hell isn't enough difference to objectively warrant a change. But tequila and golf clubs is where I spend my money. And as much as I like the change-of-pace-idea of never being short, I'm guessing that I will tire of being too long very quickly. I was an early adopter of the i500. Sailing over greens is bad. Watching your ball hit the green and roll off the back is worse.  FTR, I also see gap issues at the low-end of my bag with the 245s (a 140 43* PW followed by a SM9 48* that I can only hit 120-125...).

The 243s will give me a smidge more carry and more spin. It will feel better. It may roll out a few yards versus stopping on a dime (but I doubt it). It's such a boring choice. Please talk me out of it.

Edited by SeaIsland
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:24 PM, SeaIsland said:

Well, I'm the guy who is on the record extolling the virtues of the T150. I'm a decent ball striker (5HC) and I have no problem with them at all. I've got Axiom 105s in them and they go high and straight. I have absolutely zero run out with these clubs on greens, so spin numbers are long forgotten (...with a 7 iron they were around 5K). This set up is easily the best I've ever had. I like them so much I've considered buying another set of heads. Love 'em.

Today I had the opportunity to hit the 243s and 245s paired w/ DG 105s. Compared to the T150s, my numbers with the 243s suggest that they're about 5 yards longer (carry) and deliver about 10% more spin (5.5K-5.7K) However, my descent angles (42*) were lower (lower peak height averages). I'm confident the Axioms will deliver a positive bump in peak height, so I'm not too worried about stopping power. Feel is subjective. I love my T150s, but the 243s feel better. Probably splitting hairs on the forgiveness front, but I think the 243s may be a little easier. That said, the comments about the T150s being good on thin strikes (low on the face) are 100% true.

After hitting the 243s, I expected the 245s would strike me as chunky at address. They didn't. They looked great. I hit them almost exactly as I should have --a 7 iron hit like a well struck 6 iron-- with about 12%-15% less spin than the 243s. Peak height and descent angles were about the same as the 243s. Again, my experience indicates the Axioms will deliver a higher ball flight. Maybe even longer --which would not be welcome. In terms of 245s vs 243s forgiveness, I must say that I didn't notice much of a difference. Both seem more forgiving on misses than the T150, but like I said, I don't have problems with the T150. In terms of feel, I do not agree with the prevailing opinion that the 245s feel better than the T150s. 243s (yes) 245s (no). I actually prefer the feel of the T150s versus the 245s.

This is a tough one. I have no business buying another set and there sure as hell isn't enough difference to objectively warrant a change. But tequila and golf clubs is where I spend my money. And as much as I like the change-of-pace-idea of never being short, I'm guessing that I will tire of being too long very quickly. I was an early adopter of the i500. Sailing over greens is bad. Watching your ball hit the green and roll off the back is worse.  FTR, I also see gap issues at the low-end of my bag with the 245s (a 140 43* PW followed by a SM9 48* that I can only hit 120-125...).

The 243s will give me a smidge more carry and more spin. It will feel better. It may roll out a few yards versus stopping on a dime (but I doubt it). It's such a boring choice. Please talk me out of it.

What a wonderful world. Look for my post today on my experience doing a head-to-head between the 243s and the BPS. I think I found my next set.

I tried the 223's and 225's and preferred the 223's.  I also concur with comboing at the 4 ... you could also do the 5 if it's in your head and you just need the extra confidence.  223's were great - good compact head shape but very nice forgiveness and definitely not too short.  

Driver: Taylormade Qi10LS, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2024)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

2I: Ping iCrossover, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2024)

4I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.