2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Advice with iron shaft fit?

__jimmyd

Hey there,

Somewhat long story I'll try to keep short...

I had a PXG fitting a little over a year ago.  Came out of the fitting with Gen 5 311P irons, KBS Tour "Lite" Stiff shafts.  Within a month or two I had broken three shafts near the hozel and PXG asked me to get refitted.  Right before my fitting, the local fitter quit and PXG took some time to find a replacement.  Since they had no one local and I was in a rush, they committed to fixing my iron shaft issue, but asked if I could find someone else to do the fitting if I didn't want to wait.  A local shop Ive worked with was nice enough to help, and fitted me on a Mizuno system.  Results from a 7Iron attached.  They had me in a KBS Tour X 130, clubhead speed average 93.33.

Over the last year I've played with the KBS 130X shafts and in general they feel ok, but slightly heavy.  I was also on a Trackman recently and my 7i was consistently clocked around 91-92.  PXG helped me with a "spec check" and the fitter didn't have any major gripes with my fit, but did say in a few years, if I was to re-buy PXG, he might opt for a different head and shaft combo... but nothing worth replacing now.

Would I see any benefit going to the lighter, S or S+ shaft?  Is 125 vs 130 a major difference in feel?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

Capture.PNG

Edited by __jimmyd

10 minutes ago, __jimmyd said:

PXG helped me with a "spec check" and the fitter didn't have any major gripes with my fit, but did say in a few years, if I was to re-buy PXG, he might opt for a different head and shaft combo... but nothing worth replacing now.

Would I see any benefit going to the lighter, S or S+ shaft?  Is 125 vs 130 a major difference in feel?

Can you clarify this a little bit? Why would the fitter just not put you in the correct shaft now since that was the purpose of the re-fit?

Surely he can't change the clubhead if they are re-fitting just the shaft for repair purposes...but what was the logic in recommending the wrong shaft?

• Like 1

LTDx LS 10.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 14* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

TM Spider X Slant

15 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

Can you clarify this a little bit? Why would the fitter just not put you in the correct shaft now since that was the purpose of the re-fit?

Surely he can't change the clubhead if they are re-fitting just the shaft for repair purposes...but what was the logic in recommending the wrong shaft?

Its a good question.  His point was he didn't think the spec was far enough off it to be worth it to re-pay to get everything shafted.  I guess I'm right on the swing speed line. 

I also somewhat started the conversation with "I just want to check my swing with these shafts, but my goal isn't to spend money if I don't have to."  I think his point was I actually hit their 317 cavity back better than my current heads, but that would be a total new purchase.

3 minutes ago, __jimmyd said:

Its a good question.  His point was he didn't think the spec was far enough off it to be worth it to re-pay to get everything shafted.  I guess I'm right on the swing speed line. 

My understanding is that your irons had KBS Tour Lite S, (3) of the shafts broke, and now you are being fit into KBS Tour X - and that PXG is paying for a re-shaft of the entire set. If that is the case, why not re-shaft the set with the correct shaft for you?

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

4 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

My understanding is that your irons had KBS Tour Lite S, (3) of the shafts broke, and now you are being fit into KBS Tour X - and that PXG is paying for a re-shaft of the entire set. If that is the case, why not re-shaft the set with the correct shaft for you?

Sorry if I wasnt clear - PXG already made it good and replaced all of the shafts with KBS Tour 130X to fix the issue last year.  I've just been having second thoughts on the stiffness and weight of the shafts and wanted them to double check.  They just seem so beefy for a club head speed of 90-93.

Edited by __jimmyd

3 minutes ago, __jimmyd said:

Sorry if I wasnt clear - PXG already made it good and replaced all of the shafts with KBS Tour 130X to fix the issue last year.  I've just been having second thoughts on the stiffness and weight of the shafts and wanted them to double check.  They just seem so beefy for a club head speed of 90-93.

OK that makes sense now. I'd say you probably won't notice a big difference between KBS Tour 125 vs 130, but 120 would be noticeable. most people notice a 10 gram difference.

The # that stands out is the release factor of 9, which equates to a very early release. I'm guessing the shaft optimizer is seeing that and putting you in shafts with a stiffer handle. 

I swing a 7 iron 88-90 and got fitted to PX 6.5. Despite preferring the feel of softer shafts, that's not what produced the best results. The red/blue/green chart below is a little confusing but think of it as an R/S/X corresponding to red/green/blue.

Could you be better fit into 125 S+ KBS Tour? Maybe, perhaps. I think that could be what the fitter is saying. But doubtful that you would fare better with 120S. KBS Tour X seems like a much better fit than Tour Lite Stiff, which is way different that what the optimizer says.

https://www.golfwrx.com/286911/wishon-what-shaft-flex-should-i-use/

image.png.e65831e89052e1585be6c040f4b81079.pngimage.png.96f843cca0decfcbf5bcc75f40d998d3.png

• Thanks 1

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

I swing a 7 iron 88-90 and got fitted to PX 6.5. Despite preferring the feel of softer shafts, that's not what produced the best results. The red/blue/green chart below is a little confusing but think of it as an R/S/X corresponding to red/green/blue.

That surprises me. 

I played X-100, then 6.5, then PX 6.0 for 15+ years until 5+yrs back when I moved to composite.  From my 7i SS at +/- 85, to your 88-90, PX 6.5?  That's difficult to imagine being that close to PX 6.5.

I have a faster than normal temp/transition and have MMT 95S in 3i-4i, and 105S in 5-PW in T100 heads. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

If you like KBS Tour X profile but just find it heavy then I bet you'd be pretty happy with KBS Tour 120 stiff. Given you were playing Tour Lite before and the Mizuno optimizer numbers then it would probably be better than 130 X. It really just depends on your weight preference and you said 130 X feels heavy.

• Thanks 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

5 hours ago, __jimmyd said:

At your speeds test KBS Tour 125 S+ or $ taper 125 S+ first

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

That surprises me. 

I played X-100, then 6.5, then PX 6.0 for 15+ years until 5+yrs back when I moved to composite.  From my 7i SS at +/- 85, to your 88-90, PX 6.5?  That's difficult to imagine being that close to PX 6.5.

I have a faster than normal temp/transition and have MMT 95S in 3i-4i, and 105S in 5-PW in T100 heads. 

I thought the same thing. I've played project x in the past and had good results with PX 6.0, never even tested 6.5. I've had great results with 6.5 as well, to be honest I'd be happy in either flex. The fitter told me he liked 6.5 because it protected against my tendency to produce too much spin.

The only shaft I had truly bad results with was PX LZ. Thought it felt great at impact, but ball speed was all over the place.

• Like 1

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

16 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

OK that makes sense now. I'd say you probably won't notice a big difference between KBS Tour 125 vs 130, but 120 would be noticeable. most people notice a 10 gram difference.

The # that stands out is the release factor of 9, which equates to a very early release. I'm guessing the shaft optimizer is seeing that and putting you in shafts with a stiffer handle. 

Could you be better fit into 125 S+ KBS Tour? Maybe, perhaps. I think that could be what the fitter is saying. But doubtful that you would fare better with 120S. KBS Tour X seems like a much better fit than Tour Lite Stiff, which is way different that what the optimizer says.

https://www.golfwrx.com/286911/wishon-what-shaft-flex-should-i-use/

image.png.e65831e89052e1585be6c040f4b81079.pngimage.png.96f843cca0decfcbf5bcc75f40d998d3.png

Seems massive difference between kbs lite stiff and kbs tour x!

8 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

Seems massive difference between kbs lite stiff and kbs tour x!

It is. You see stories on WRX about different fitters putting people into totally different shafts in terms of weight and stiffness. I would question the KBS tour lite stiff fitting - that seems awfully light but I don't know the rationale behind that fit. 

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

It is. You see stories on WRX about different fitters putting people into totally different shafts in terms of weight and stiffness. I would question the KBS tour lite stiff fitting - that seems awfully light but I don't know the rationale behind that fit. 

The tour lite and the tour are basically the same shaft the kbs lite stiff is stilll softer than the kbs tour R flex.

The tour lite stiff is 4.0 the kbs tour x is 7.0 thats  3 flexes and a  30g weight diff

• Like 1

21 hours ago, svlido said:

Project X 6.5 might be worth a shot.

6.0 might even be good enough if it doesn't hurt his dispersion. I saw very little difference in dynamics and results between 6.0 & 6.5 in my fitting (again this could just be me), but I went 6.0 for the lighter weight on those gruellingly hot days on the course.

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

15 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

6.0 might even be good enough if it doesn't hurt his dispersion. I saw very little difference in dynamics and results between 6.0 & 6.5 in my fitting (again this could just be me), but I went 6.0 for the lighter weight on those gruellingly hot days on the course.

Unless you're trying to accomplish something like slowing a transition down or killing spin I always recommend going as soft as your dispersion will allow you to.  PX is stout either way so going softer and lighter isn't a bad idea.

• Like 1