TaylorMade Tour Burner & Tour Burner TP

So should you stay away from the stock shaft?

I'm gonna echo that. I have an old Burner TP 9.5 with a pro launch red. I kept reading on how legit the stock diamana 65-S that came with the TBTP. I seemed to lack distance when I bought it compared to my old setup. I let a local pro hit both- for comparison on someone with a more consitent swing/strike. He mentioned he felt more pop on the TBTP but did say that the shaft sucked compared to the pro launch red on my old burner. I'm gonna get rid of that bootleg diamana and get the real deal or another pro launch red. Any opinions on this?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I picked up a Tour Burner(non TP) with a factory V2 stiff, and at 45.5 with a D7 swingweight I was having a hard time with this club. Then I cut 1/2 in off and put my Tour Velvet grip.....this thing came to life for me. Its so straight and forgiving that its almost scary.....it may not be the longest driver I have owned but its not short by any means.

FWIW---3 out of my foursome have switched(the others have TP's)

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a taylormade TP burner with a 9.5 Fuji Rombax 75 IS THIS THE REAL SHAFT?

The guy from golf galaxy said it's the real deal?

Taylormade M5 10* Tensi Blue 70s
Taylormade  M5 15* Tensi Blue 65s

Taylormade M5 18* Tensi Blue 65s
Taylormade 4-PW R9 TP 
Taylormade 54, 58 Milled grind 
Taylormade TP Ardmore
Taylormade TP5X

WITB Link

The Diamana Whiteboard in the Tour Burner's is not the real thing!! If you read the fine print in the item description it is the same thing that Diamana did for Titleist. This shaft is nothing compared to the real thing.

Yea I would say it feels more like a Blueboard than a Whiteboard. To call it "nothing compared to the real thing" is a gross overstatement. It is a very solid stock shaft.

M2 Speeder 63 Tour Spec
Idea Pro 18* and 23*
TaylorMade MC 4-PW
Milled Grind 52* and 58*
Spider Tour Black

• 3 weeks later...

i got the tour burner tp 8.5 with the rombax 75x. i like the driver, it feels great and goes a long way. the only down side to it is that i have caved the face in twice in two months and the second time i got it back i hit it ten times that day then it happened again. i guess thats what happens when your swing speed is 130mph. so taylormade needs to make some mods to this driver

I have been playing a SQ TP with a Rombax 75 shaft since they hit the market a while back and have been nothing but thrilled with the results produced by that club. I kept the weights set to neutral, but cheated a little with it by using the two 6g weights out of the TP weight kit from my R5 TP. I was consistently hitting the SQ TP 270 straight when I did my part, and was convinced that I was maxed out at that point since I'm of fairly diminutive size (5'7" 120 lbs). I figured since the TBTP was getting such great reviews I'd take it for a spin. I tried it out with all three shafts and found the best results to be with the Ozik X-Con 5 stiff. The Rombax 75 was the second best. The WB came in last. For some reason that had the highest spin numbers of the three possible shafts for me. On the launch monitor it was about 500 RPM higher than the X-con and about only a 280 higher than the Rombax. The White Board was promptly eliminated. The X-Con had a higher launch angle than the Rombax but lower spin by 120 RPM and was 3 yards longer. Those numbers got me settled in on the X-Con even though I had my heart set on the Rombax since it has been such a solid performer in my SQ TP. I got to play the TBTP on the course today and all I can say is wow. Consistently 15 yards longer than the SQ TP on good and bad hits, and just as controllable. I was concerned that the TBTP would be more fade biased with being 2 deg. open as opposed to the 1 deg open on the SQTP. All in all I think I found the truly spectacular driver that I required for the SQ TP to be replaced. All in all a great stick, the shaft is a little different feeling for me being so light compared to the 74g Rombax that I have gotten used to over the last season and a half or so, but the results today are all the convincing that I need to indicate that it works well for me.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up a Tour Burner 10.5 R flex with the stock shaft a few days ago, and wow... This thing is HOT. Mishits are traveling far, and still very straight, along with purely struck balls just going and going and going. I haven't driven so good in months, after using a loaner $50 driver for awhile. Although I am not a huge fan of TaylorMade's marketing, there's no denying that this club is great IMO. Great club!!!

im searching for a new driver and mi pro talks only magic words about taylor made but i never hit one before and i believe its time to change my old and trusty mactec nvg tour 9* w/ fiji speeder quaddra action stiff 70gr i hit the ball to high and i lost distance, too much spin for me, i see the tour burner last week and i seriously think to buy the club but i don't know what loft or flex buy... my average final distance is 270 and im a fast tempo.. can any body help me!!! or shuold i'll go for a tity D2?

Just picked a TBTP up on the bay for a song can't wait to see if it is a legit one and if so see if all these great reviews hold water for me. I sure hope so.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome! First thing that has kicked out the R580XD. It sounds so good! Really awesome. It does straighten me out on toe-hits, and is barely closed at setup/address. Just make a good swing and it does the rest! The feel and the sound are great. The distance is unsurpassed... a steal these days.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

• 4 weeks later...

After my brief love affair with a TBTP shafted with the stock X-Con 5, I'm now back to using my trusty old Superquad TP. While the TBTP head seemed to work quite well, the shaft was a whole different story, it just didn't feel as good as the TP Rombax 75 in my Superquad. I intend to re-shaft the TBTP with either a Rombax 7Wo6 or a Diamana Blueboard 83. The unbelieveably light X-Con 5 just made it too hard to keep track of where the club was, hopefully the additional weight from one of the aforementioned shafts will give me some better weight feedback.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Tour Burner TP diamana stiff last season was a big time upgrade from my previous driver (r7425TP). For me, it is longer, and the open face made a big difference in preventing the "low left" shots I hit occasionally. I can hit a little draw with it, and I also have a high baby fade that is my "control" shot.

My launch angle went up about 2 degrees and my spin rate when down significantly with this combo.

In short, its given me some added distance and a go-to shot that I'm comfortable with when the pressure is on.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this bad boy last fall. Played it with the stock shaft for 2 months and thought it was way too whippy. Then started to try out a couple other options, the whiteboard and Proforce V2 were my favorites but i went with the V2. Absolutely love it now, 9.5º Tour Burner with the V2 shaft.

The V2 has a stiffer tip section, lost about 7 yards in distance but its still bombs it and now with more control.

I got my Tour Burner 9.5* with Fujikure e360 stiff shaft earlier today and took it for a spin. In short I think my experience is best summed up by what came out of my mouth after the first time I hit it: "Oh, s%$@!.... Wow".

My previous driver was a Superquad 460 10.5* with the stock Reg shaft. I always struggled with ballooning and control. The superquad was anything but consistent. Then I found out on a launch monitor that I had developed my swing into a 100-105mph SS and tons of backspin (~4500-5500) and high launch angle (>16*). My average distance was 220y (straight), which is ridiculous for the swing speed I have.

On the launch monitor the TB took almost 1000rpm off my backspin, 4* to 5* off my launch angle and eliminated my sidespin. Today on the range I went from barely carrying the 200 marker to carrying into the bottom of the back fence at 260y. I gained at least 30y with this club! The stiff shaft is also so much easier to control. I didn't see a single pull-hook and only one slice (my bad) while hitting about 30 balls. In general the dispersion was maybe 50 yards(25y either side of center), which is not bad for me.

I can't wait to reshaft the rest of my clubs with stiff shafts and replace my irons altogether. I have definitely outgrown my current set.

+1

I got the 10.5* with the stock Fujikura 60g shaft in R. I have been hitting several brands and finally narrowed it down to the Cleveland XlS, and TM Burner 460, Tour Burner and R7CGB Max. The only one i was consistently hitting on the sweet spot was the Tour Burner and was the one with the lowest launch angle that I could see.

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

HAPPY CUSTOMER:

I just purchased (2 weeks ago) the 2008 TaylorMade Tour Burner 9.5 with the stock Fujikura RE-AX SuperFast 60 Stiff shaft.

Paid $175.

I tested 5 other drivers (mostly last years models) and the Tour Burner stood out for me. There is not much I don't like about this club. I love the look, the weight, and the feel of the swing. It feels and sounds geat at impact as well. Yes it is long (if you hit the sweet spot, say "BYE BYE") but also surprisingly forgiving. Off-center hits were still getting out there as well. I really like the snap I get with this shaft. It is slightly on the "whippy" side for a stiff shaft but not in a bad way (for me).

I didn't compare clubs on a launch monitor so I don't have any spin numbers for you. The trajectory and carry distances were all in the same ballpark with a slight advantage to the Tour Burner (and TP). The back net at the Range I went is around 250-260 yards out. I was able to hit the net on the fly with all the drivers but more consistantly with the Tour Burners.

The Burner I purchased was the only one I took on the course and and marked distances (Sky Caddie). I gained a consistant 10 yards over my last driver with both controlled and full swing drives. Some of the clubs I tested were more forgiving (Cobra and HiBORE) but this had more distance and was forgiving enough. Plus I can fade or draw more comfortably than with those mentioned.

TP vs. Non TP:

I also demo'd an 8.5 stiff TP version (same shaft). To me these 2 heads were too similar to justify the $100 increase for the TP version. The TP is supposed to be slightly open but the demo I had (as well as others in the store) were nearly identical to the non TP's. I was getting similar flight paths and distances with both clubs even with 1 degree less loft. After playing a few rounds with my new purchase I am very happy with my choice and would not get the TP even if they matched the price.

This was my first club review. I hope it helps.

-JONES-

Former Driver:

2006 - Cobra F-Speed - 10.5' - Aldila - Stiff Flex - Mid Kick

Tested:

2008 - TM Tour Burner - 9.5 - Fujikura RE-AX SuperFast 60 Stiff

2008 - TM Tour Burner TP - 8.5 - Fujikura RE-AX SuperFast 60 Stiff

2008 - TM Burner TP 460 - 9.5 - Aldila Stiff

2008 - Cleveland HiBORE XLS Tour - 9.5 - Stiff

2008 - Cobra L4V - 9.0 - Stiff

2008 - Callaway Hyper X 460 - Stiff

Current Index: 10.0

I have a non TP 10.5 with a Fuji 60g stiff. I love the feel and forgiveness of this club - it beats my R7 460TP in both these departments easily, BUT I can't get the same height on my drives, hence I'm losing carry. What can I do to increase my initial launch?? Anything?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX