2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade Tour Burner & Tour Burner TP

TaylorMade continues its long running standard of excellence with the Tour Burner driver. Its SuperFast club Technology allows for incredibly fast swing speed, enabling golfers to blast the ball off the tee with supreme confidence.

The TaylorMade Golf Tour Burner TP Driver has a dual crown made of titanium, and the weighted power-base promotes increased distance. The lower and precision-placed center of gravity offers a higher launch angle and lower spin, while the .335-inch tip shaft with three weights offers an open clubface alignment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll start...

I don't have a lot of experience with the new Tour Burner TP, but I have hit it. I sponsored a demo day last Thursday w/ Nike, Ping, & Taylormade. My TM tech rep and just got the Tour Burner TP earlier that day and wouldn't take it out of his locked car.

After most of the customers had cleared out he let me and my staff take a few swings with it. All I can say is that this driver is very sweet. I got to swing it about 5 times and all shots were dead straight with a very nice launch angle and ball flight. It felt amazing and gave me confidence to just swing the dang thing.

The end result is that I purchased one for myself with the Diamana White 65 shaft. I'll have to put it on the lauch monitor and get some more data to post about.

For those who are interested, Taylormade said the new TP's are scheduled to ship out on May 9th.

Just had a staff demo night tonight and found the TP version quite to my liking, although I think I would prefer the Ozik in it compared to the Diamana. I used a 9.5* Diamana Stiff and I found the ball flight high at the range, it was into the wind but it looked like it was ballooning a little at the end - felt nice, but I'd say feelwise was not quite as good as the old Burner TP. I'd like to see it on the vector when we get them in, and figure out the right shaft from there :clapping:

can you confirm if the TP version is indeed 2deg open? And would anyone know if the non TP version is square or closed faced. Thanks for your help.

On average, it's closer to 1* open and 1* closed for the TP and non-TP versions, respectively. Both of mine came visually open at address, but I've heard some reports of people who got them and the TP was closer to square.

Home club just had their anual demo day and I was really disappointed with the Tour Burner Tps. I had actualy planned on ordering one but the three that were there were definately NOT 2* open. To my eye they looked closed, MAYBE at best square. Thought it was just me so showed it to 2 of our club pros and they agreed it looked closed. It was not as closed as the regular TB but still closed. Of the three shaft options the 75g rombax felt the best to me and the 65g whiteboard felt the worst. Weird, since the 07 Burner tp definatley looks slightly open to my eye. Also the Sumo2 Tour looked closed and it's advertized as 1.5* open. The only open heads to my eye were Cobra's L4v F and X and cleveland XLS tour. Nickent's 4dx was a pleasnt surprise but I'm sticking with my D2 and 905r and looking for that 909 to show up on the USGA comforming list.

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

definitly a better feel over last years burner tp. It really hides its size well. Finally found a good shaft and now i just hit high flat bombs. I did have to go grom 9.5 to 8.5 to get the trajectory i liked. Very forgiving as well

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

Just took my 8.5 TP out yesterday. Everyone said it hits it high so I went with the 8.5* and I think it was a good pick. It was real windy, cold, rainy, etc. and I only hit one balloon, and that was the swing on that particular shot. Has a 65-S diamana in it, I need and X, but got a good deal. First time hitting a whiteboard and although it was too light nd weak I still liked the performance. Could be the shaft if I can find a 73x or 83x.

Feel is def different from the Burner. I would say its closer in feel to the 510 TP more than anything, but still not exact. Mine appears to be about 1*open, I was hitting a nice little fade which I usually hit a draw, or big hook for a mishit (no big hooks thus far). Of course the weak shaft may have had something to do with this.

I have seen the non-TP version as well and although the TM rep told me that it is in fact square I dont believe it. I looked at about 5 different reg. Tour Burners and they all looked closed about 1* to me, could be due to the shape but who knows. So far I am very happy with the driver, Ive been having trouble finding one lately and this could be it, once I get the right shaft in it and a nice day Ill make my final decision. For now its staying in the bag.

The Tp is open 2* and the regular burner is square. But can anyone explain to me why the club face would be placed 2 degrees open, what's the result of doing that? It seems like it would exaggerate a slice if you came across the ball at all?

better players would use it to eliminate a pull hook, so that if you do play a draw it would pretty much eliminate the chance of duck hooking...like lee trevino once said, "you can talk to a slice, but a hook won't listen". but regular drivers are usually 1 or 2 degrees closed, because they're aimed at more of the average player, who usually tends to leave the clubface open at impact, so the closed clubface helps square it. but there are exceptions, like an average player who has problems hooking the ball.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I just got my Tour Burner TP 8.5 Stiff Diamana whiteboard. I have been hitting the old Burner TP 9.5 X Diamana Whiteboard. This club is a rocket ship however everything I hit with intentions of hitting long had a draw but the height trajectory was what I like. I am 43 yrs old and hit this new club as good as I have ever hit a driver. I will also say for being 2 degrees open you would never guess it by looking at it and right now I prefer the looks of my old Burner, yet I have thought this with every new driver I have purchased (liked the looks of the old one better) since the arms race began. My guess is I will get used to it.

I am returning the driver for an X stiff shaft reason being consistency...I am just not patient enough with the stiff however when I am its a "wow" but its missing to many fairways. My review of the club stands its definitly an improvement however the head does not look 2 degrees open...at all.

Can a driver head be bent open? lol

got it yesterday, if your on the fence, just try it at you local pro shop and or golf store...

the results will suprise you...

Background:

I currently hit a R7 TP 10.5, NVS 65X, weights from toe, 10, 2, 10 2

I know, old technology, but it worked and why switch just to switch...? (more later)

My only fault is that I tend to get quick from the top (hooky draw) and or hold on (straight push)... trying to stop the hooky draw... yuk!

I was lucky enough to hit the Burner TP 2008 last March because I was at the Kingdom in So. CA and was with my golf pro from my club and TM wanted to have someone who is a single digit and not a 0 or + to hit this new driver and get some feedback...

After signing a non-disclosure... I was able to hit the darn thing...

There were four different ones with slight variations in shape and weight... I don't know what they were, I'm a single digit and not a golf pro...

Anyway, version three was the one for me...

Burner TP 2008, 10.5, Diamana Whiteboard, 65X

Why?

average swing speed increased from 102mph to 109mph (consistantly)

launch angle moved into the 14.6, I was a little flat at 13.2 with my R7

ball spin rate dropped from 3,000+ to 1,700 to 2,000 (consistantly)

old carry, 250 yards, new carry 270 yards

carry plus roll out (my ball rolls a mile)

old, 250 carry, roll out of 20 to 35 yards depending on playing conditions, total (285 yards+, average)

new, 270 carry, roll out of 25 to 40 yards, total (305 yards+, average)

The results were proof enough that I wanted to get the new Burner TP, period.

I finally got it yesterday and went to play with it and I am getting the same results and or better...

My son was playing with me and even he noticed a difference in my game, which means I was in places that I had not been on my course hitting from the back tees, ever... at least a club or two difference going into a green, or going for it on par 5's

Summary,

Stop reading all these post and go to a pro shop that can measure your current driver launch specs and then hit this club...

If it works out better then great, if it does'nt then don't switch...

My belief is that there are so many drivers out there and most people do not take the time to get fitted, meaning, I am sure that if I go to Callaway, Ping or any other brand, that they could fit me into something that worked with their equipment...

I have tried other brands in drivers and I always come back to TaylorMade... that's just me...

hope this helps and good luck in your search for your next driver...

hit'em straight,

defilade

Am I to understand that almost everyone is going with a lower loft than previous models?? I'm on the verge of getting one, and now I'm confused about the lofts. It seems as if everyone thinks they launch high, which surprises me in the TP model. I would have thought the TP would launch lower, or more true to loft. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Just got my Tour Burner (regular) today... 9.5*, Pershing 65S, std. L/L/L. Can honestly say it is much better than my Superquad 8.5* that I've been playing for the better part of a year. First things first, I found it to sit very square. Its the second one I've handled and that was also square. I think it can look closed by the back of the triangle shape being more towards the heel. The face will also tilt closed if you hold your hands very low at address. I have smaller hands (med. glove size) so the TM grip with the rib near the 7:00 position was also causing me to slightly close the face with my grip... with all that said, the face is square.

As many have stated, it is a very low spin head so no need to elaborate on that. I went with the 9.5* wanting to get a higher launch than my SQ but I didn't find it to be very high launching... I'd say on par with the avg. launch you'd expect for a 9.5* head. I had no problems hitting fades/draws but would have to say it probably has a slight draw bias. I was actually surprised at how straight it was, even on mishits. The feel of the head striking the ball is just blissful, dead freaking solid. I've been getting tired of hitting drivers that while performing well, just seem so hollow on impact, and the TB is such a welcome change. Just was pleasing is the sound of impact.. soft, muted, the anti-Cobra/Nike SQ2/etc.

The ball comes off the face like a rocket... penetrating flight that gets downrange quickly. I can't wait to get on the course and see how it rolls. While not being on a course to compare total distances yet, I can safely say I'll be picking up at least 10 yards and working less hard to do so.

I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the look pre-release, but it has grown on me. Nothing strange to look at while addressing the ball, actually quite a confident look. The face is flatter (think R500 series) which makes it very easy to align. At 5'7" the 45.5 in. length is a bit much for me, but the size of the head front to back really hides the length. I did butt trim 1/2" off after the range session since I usually play my driver at 44.75", and frankly 45.5" is just counterproductive.

One word of caution regarding the design. The 'dual crown' is fairly sharp on the outside and I already chipped a small piece of paint on the back due to this... I guessing i'll be putting the cover back on after each tee shot. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. This club will be in the bag for quite some time. Great work, Taylormade. ;)

Just got my Tour Burner (regular) today... 9.5*, Pershing 65S, std. L/L/L. Can honestly say it is much better than my Superquad 8.5* that I've been playing for the better part of a year. First things first, I found it to sit very square. Its the second one I've handled and that was also square. I think it can look closed by the back of the triangle shape being more towards the heel. The face will also tilt closed if you hold your hands very low at address. I have smaller hands (med. glove size) so the TM grip with the rib near the 7:00 position was also causing me to slightly close the face with my grip... with all that said, the face is square.

As many have stated, it is a very low spin head so no need to elaborate on that. I went with the 9.5* wanting to get a higher launch than my SQ but I didn't find it to be very high launching... I'd say on par with the avg. launch you'd expect for a 9.5* head. I had no problems hitting fades/draws but would have to say it probably has a slight draw bias. I was actually surprised at how straight it was, even on mishits. The feel of the head striking the ball is just blissful, dead freaking solid. I've been getting tired of hitting drivers that while performing well, just seem so hollow on impact, and the TB is such a welcome change. Just was pleasing is the sound of impact.. soft, muted, the anti-Cobra/Nike SQ2/etc.

The ball comes off the face like a rocket... penetrating flight that gets downrange quickly. I can't wait to get on the course and see how it rolls. While not being on a course to compare total distances yet, I can safely say I'll be picking up at least 10 yards and working less hard to do so.

I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the look pre-release, but it has grown on me. Nothing strange to look at while addressing the ball, actually quite a confident look. The face is flatter (think R500 series) which makes it very easy to align. At 5'7" the 45.5 in. length is a bit much for me, but the size of the head front to back really hides the length. I did butt trim 1/2" off after the range session since I usually play my driver at 44.75", and frankly 45.5" is just counterproductive.

One word of caution regarding the design. The 'dual crown' is fairly sharp on the outside and I already chipped a small piece of paint on the back due to this... I guessing i'll be putting the cover back on after each tee shot. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. This club will be in the bag for quite some time. Great work, Taylormade. :)

just wondering how you got that shaft in there?

I am looking to replace my R7 SuperQuad with the new Tour Burner but I am not sure about the deg - today I use a TM R7 SuperQuad in 10,5 deg and I hit it sooooo high (got the same swing speed as you approx 103mph). I have to close the R7 and almost quick hook it to get some length out of the beast.

I heard the Tour Burner is going even higher so I am very surprised to read that you found the 10.5 Tour Burner fitting your sving speed - have you compared it with the R7 SuperQuad?

• 2 weeks later...

I am typically a Ping guy. I had the SiTech driver, and the Si3 380cc driver. I have owned taylormade in the past, Burner Bubble driver, and then Ti2 Burner Bubble. I have also played the Callaway Big Bertha and Titleist 960D. Now my story...

I wanted to upgrade to a new driver. Instinctively I wanted to pick up the new G10. I look at Golf Digest Hot List and sure enough PING was there. But the Burner was not listed yet. I decided to do a launch monitor session with the Ping G10, Taylormade Burner Tour TP and standard Taylormade Tour Burner. After hitting all three drivers the Taylormade Burner Tour TP was the most consistent in terms of distance, ball spin, accuracy, trajectory and distance/roll.

Today I hit it for the first time at the range. I have a TM TP Tour Burner 9.5* Diamana 65 gram S flex. It is half an inch shorter than my Ping SI3, and the headsize took some time to get comfortable with. I am an old skool player and prefer a smaller head. It had a great feeling at contact, and it was very forgiving. I hit a few on the toe and heel and the ball flight remained straight to my suprise. I could feel on the club where the contact had occured and was shocked to see such good results. Trajectory was boring but deep.

On my Si3 7* loft and Blue graffaloy shaft, I could poke the ball out there around 270 yds with 5-10 yds of roll at best. With this new TM my roll has increased nearly 7-9 yds and i had no issues hitting it deep today. Overall I am very happy with this club and cannot wait to take it on the course! i would recomment the Tour Burner if you are looking for a forgiving club on missed hits, and good ball flight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from buying my Tour Burner. I haven't hit the course yet so I can't give it stars, but out of the 10 drivers I hit this one was the straightest by far and I was actually able to hit a couple of draws - I have not hit a draw with a driver... pretty much ever. Launch was a little low compared to some other drivers I tried but I hit the center of the clubface every time and it just kept going straight - Some of the drivers I tried, I simply couldn't hit the sweet spot once. It was weird! I went with the 10.5 and stiff shaft. I can't wait to get this bad boy on the links!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

to all you guys hitting the tp version, which is 2* open,, all i can say if you guys are hitting he 8.5* m then you must alway hit a fade!!! because if you clode that at impact, it makes that 8.5* now a 6.5*!!

i don't even think tour players use a 6-7* driver!! wow!!

Do you really think actual loft will be as per stated or lower?

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I traded for a new 9.5* TP with the Diamana WB 65X and hit the club really well, enough to knock my trusty MP-600 WB combo out of the bag. I pulled the shaft and installed a Matrix Ozik F6M2 and this good club became a GREAT one! The low launch/low spin shaft coupled with this hot head is fantastic.

First time out on the course, my 1st drive was so long I was too excited to measure the distance! On my 3rd drive, the ball carries to the middle of the green, a 300 yd par-4... WOO HOO!!! I haven't done that in years! :rolleyes:

This baby is going to stay in the bag for a long time!!! :black eye: