2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mack Daddy Grooves = WOW

philfan316

You balls are better off being thrown in a wood chipper
I have heard various reports of the Mack Daddy Grooves on the Callaway wedges really tearing the cover off the ball. I thought these reports were coming from people like the guy in the Slazenger commercial that says "Yeah, Ready to get pounded." Ya know, real digger, 150 mph types.

I swing it about 70 to 80 mph or less with the wedges, and it didn't matter.

I was taking the cover off of Top Flite range rocks. Seriously, I had to pick shards of plastic out of my grooves.

I fear for my Pro V1's. They will die.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you have to hit lots of bunker shots or hit lots of range balls first to make those bad boys less hungry.

Even then the MD grooves tear up balls. I got tired of it. One of the things I love about my Scratch wedges is that spin almost as much as my old Callaway did but the ball doesn't get torn up. I can actually use one ball for the whole round now.

Scott

the very first round i played with my x-forged 60*, i hit a half wedge shot on the first hole, the ball stopped dead, when i went to go mark it it looked like someone took a cheese grater to it. but after a few visits to the range to break in the grooves i now get the same stopping power but with no ball shredding. but i would agree with JDorfler about the e5's, during the winter i played the e5+'s and they are a great ball, and the spin i found is right in the middle of nxt tour and prov1, more spin than nxt tour, but longer (in my experience) than either the nxt or the prov1's, great winter ball or just overall good ball if you're on a budget, and they don't shred, even with the soft urethane cover.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

YES!

I tore the cover off of a Pinnacle Exception and Pinnacle Extreme that I played one. SHREDDED a TM TP Black and Pro V1. So much so, that I could see the layer just under the cover.

To be honest, I'm on a budget these days and frankly, I let my buddy borrow it indefinitely, because I just got tired of putting a new ball into play every 3rd hole. I've since switched to a Scratch wedge and get incredible stopping power w/o paying the price of tearing the cover off of a golf ball.

The one caveat is that I knew EXACTLY where I hit the ball on the clubface, because part of the ball was still on the wedge! Ha-ha-ha...

Yep, you have to hit lots of bunker shots or hit lots of range balls first to make those bad boys less hungry.

Even then the MD grooves tear up balls. I got tired of it. One of the things I love about my Scratch wedges is that spin almost as much as my old Callaway did but the ball doesn't get torn up. I can actually use one ball for the whole round now.

Scott

;) so after the next 40 boxes of balls you buy, you'll start saving $$!!!

i keed i keed.....just sounds funny talking about scuffed balls and dropping $400 on a wedge

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

the HARDER the cover the MORE they will shred and the SOFTER the cover the LESS they shred. That is why you wear be grabbing pieces of range balls and 2 piece balls out of those wedges but not as bad with a urethane cover.

Do they do some damage? Yes, but not as much on premium balls and also even the cover durability will vary from ball to ball and manufacturer to manufacturer.

This is going to keep me from buying this wedge. I was eyeballing the X forged with the C grind as my next 60* wedge but I really like the fact that my chrome RACs don't do anything to my balls except put them where I want them. I still get plenty of spin with the small amount of milling they come with. I did have that same problem with Cleveland 588s and they don't even have any special grooves.

Scott

;) so after the next 40 boxes of balls you buy, you'll start saving $$!!!

i keed i keed.....just sounds funny talking about scuffed balls and dropping $400 on a wedge

Who dropped $400 on a wedge? The Scratch wedges I bought cost $80 more than the Callaway that has a grind that does not suit my game. I will save a lot more than $80 in balls over the life of the wedge.

Scott

the HARDER the cover the MORE they will shred and the SOFTER the cover the LESS they shred. That is why you wear be grabbing pieces of range balls and 2 piece balls out of those wedges but not as bad with a urethane cover.

Do they do some damage? Yes, but not as much on premium balls and also even the cover durability will vary from ball to ball and manufacturer to manufacturer.

The MD grooves on my X Forged wedges ate a TM TP Black for an appetizer, the Pro V1 for dinner and a Pinnacle Exception for dessert, all in the same round.

And that's after hitting tons of range balls with it. Yes, for max spin, these wedges are no joke. Just be prepared to up your golf ball spending.. that's all I'm saying.

I play a Spin Milled sand wedge and scuff up balls as much as anyone I know on full shots and pitches.

I manage to clean off the frilly bits and use the same ball for a round of golf whenever I play with no discernable effect on performance, even after half a dozen or more shots that scuff it up.

No offence, but the days of making a ball unuasable with a single shot are long gone - ever since proper balata balls. And, even then, it took a thinned 7 iron to kill one.

Maybe I'm less fussy than many others, but I can't remember the last time I retired a ball after one or two well-struck wedges.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I play a Spin Milled sand wedge and scuff up balls as much as anyone I know on full shots and pitches.

I manage to clean off the frilly bits and use the same ball for a round of golf whenever I play with no discernable effect on performance, even after half a dozen or more shots that scuff it up.

No offence, but the days of making a ball unuasable with a single shot are long gone - ever since proper balata balls. And, even then, it took a thinned 7 iron to kill one.

Maybe I'm less fussy than many others, but I can't remember the last time I retired a ball after one or two well-struck wedges.

i gotta agree with mat562 here....i play entire rounds, maybe even two, with a single ball (at most 2) and i use SM wedges. if you're going through 4-6 balls a round, you're either doing something wrong or are insanely picky. even the pros rarely go through more than a sleeve in a single round.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Gettin rid of my callaway wedges too. They are just to expensive to use. Plus, I am just not good enough to predict how far they will suck back. I have yet to have one just stop and sit still. My Pings are predictable. I hit it the ball plops where it lands, not forwards or back. Just Right

Ping G400 LST 10*
Titleist TS3 15*
Taylormade UDI 2 
Callaway MB 2018 3-W
Titleist Vokey 54*/60*
Bettinardi BB2

i gotta agree with mat562 here....i play entire rounds, maybe even two, with a single ball (at most 2) and i use SM wedges. if you're going through 4-6 balls a round, you're either doing something wrong or are insanely picky. even the pros rarely go through more than a sleeve in a single round.

I'm in the same boat as you two. A little scuff never hurt anybody. I love the spin that the MD grooves give, so I hit them as little as possible at the range. I want my wedges to spin from anywhere, and the MD grooves are great at that.

I love my C-grind 60* with MD grooves. They rip the ball apart and I love it. I can hit flop shots from 35yds and spin the ball back a few feet. I don't mind the ball getting eaten up. That is why they come three to a sleeve or 12 to a dozen. Norman once went through 11 balls in one round. I love them and will keep using them as long as they are legal. You can hit it long and spin them back from around the green, whats better than that? Just hit it long and hook that fish.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I don't know where you getting the idea that the pros are rarely playing more than a sleeve of balls in one round. The few guys that I have played with that played on the Nationwide or PGA tour have taken a ball out of play if it had one little mark on it....and they are putting marks on them.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

Yes I gave a pair a try over the winter. They tear up Pro V's so bad they lasted 2 weeks and I sold them. Just to much peeling.

Mizuno MP series and TP Y cutter TM wedges only for me now.

Great performance and not a lot of Chew!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

i might be the only one here, but every pitch and flop shot ive hit with the 56 and 60* xforged w/ md grooves doesn't bite as hard as i thought it would. i used to have a ben hogan sure-out and cleveland 900 wedge (2 seasons old) that bit much more consistently and much harder. full shots w/ the md is a different story. ive really liked full shots and 3/4 shots. i bought the clubs to have pinpoint accuracy w/ short shots, though, so im undecided as to how much I like them.