2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mack Daddy Grooves = WOW

philfan316

I play a Spin Milled sand wedge and scuff up balls as much as anyone I know on full shots and pitches.

I manage to clean off the frilly bits and use the same ball for a round of golf whenever I play with no discernable effect on performance, even after half a dozen or more shots that scuff it up.

No offence, but the days of making a ball unuasable with a single shot are long gone - ever since proper balata balls. And, even then, it took a thinned 7 iron to kill one.

Maybe I'm less fussy than many others, but I can't remember the last time I retired a ball after one or two well-struck wedges.

I play a Spin Milled sand wedge and scuff up balls as much as anyone I know on full shots and pitches.

I manage to clean off the frilly bits and use the same ball for a round of golf whenever I play with no discernable effect on performance, even after half a dozen or more shots that scuff it up.

No offence, but the days of making a ball unuasable with a single shot are long gone - ever since proper balata balls. And, even then, it took a thinned 7 iron to kill one.

Maybe I'm less fussy than many others, but I can't remember the last time I retired a ball after one or two well-struck wedges.

i gotta agree with mat562 here....i play entire rounds, maybe even two, with a single ball (at most 2) and i use SM wedges. if you're going through 4-6 balls a round, you're either doing something wrong or are insanely picky. even the pros rarely go through more than a sleeve in a single round.

i gotta agree with mat562 here....i play entire rounds, maybe even two, with a single ball (at most 2) and i use SM wedges. if you're going through 4-6 balls a round, you're either doing something wrong or are insanely picky. even the pros rarely go through more than a sleeve in a single round.

I'm in the same boat as you two. A little scuff never hurt anybody. I love the spin that the MD grooves give, so I hit them as little as possible at the range. I want my wedges to spin from anywhere, and the MD grooves are great at that.

I agree with all the statements made by these guys except for pros using only a sleeve in a round. Pros get free balls and they make a living out of golf so they have the previleage to change them even with a single scratch on the ball. I have seen some pros go through roughly about 2-3 sleeves per 18 hole round. However, for normal golfers, we can still use scratched up balls. I just scored 80 two days ago and I used only one ball... Yup, and I use Vokey Spin Milled. In general all wedges these days eat up balls but they don't really hinder performance for normal golfers IMO. Unless of course the ball is damaged real badly...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about these wedges. I have the 58 and the 64 (freebe). Yes they can devour a ball on a full wedge into the green. They are also marvelous with half pitches and and short 15 to 25 yard pitches.

I also play with a 54* Cleveland DSG RTG wedge and they can cut a ball up too. It can get a little dishearting to see some groove marks on the ball but know my pitch topped where I needed too more than made up for it. Especially when a birdie can have the value of $45 on a Saturday with my golf buddies.

Usually i can get one round with a ball and then they turn into weekday balls.

Its all about scoring, I shot my career round last Saturday (74) and the wedges saved me 5 shots with some nice pitches and some dead eye shots from 100 yards. My score is what matters too me and the $$$ I can get in the skin pot. I dont play to save balls.

Its all about scoring... all about scoring.

I finally retired my CG10's and replaced them with the x-forged and the only problem i have had with them is getting used to playing my shots past the hole or needing to know if the green is sloped from back to front... these things are amazing, and with my bridgestone e6 i just rub off the plastic party streamers and on to the next hole :good: ... are they getting scuffed up sure but not enough to replace them more than once a round

• 2 weeks later...
Here the pics from my range session. I was hitting typical Top Flite rocks, fairly new. I was hitting off a mat as well.

Nice pattern. Hitting off mats never helps either...even if u fat it the ball is gonna contact the clubface cleanly. So you're gonna get tons of shred action even with an older wedge. My spin milled's are approaching 3 years old at this point, and they still demolish a ball if I catch it cleanly.

That said, I'm looking for new wedges this summer... and the X Forged are high on my list of wants currently so I appreciate all the feedback on the power of the grooves. :D

i used an xtour 58 pm last season and shredded the hell out of most balls i played... but weird thing was the callaway hx56 didn't really shred... now i'm not trying to say they didn't mark the ball... because they definitely did... but you didn't have to peel the flakes off like on other balls (or the pic with the leftovers in the grooves)

I have heard how hard the md wedges are on balls, does anybody like the way they feel especially compared to the Spin Milled or CG12 with zip grooves?Are they as clicky as the SM? I am thinking about a 52*-54* gap/sand wedge!Also do you think I could get a 56* bent to 52*or 53*, they have 14* of bounce and I generally cant play that much bounce,does it change the grind or just the bounce?Todd

I have heard how hard the md wedges are on balls, does anybody like the way they feel especially compared to the Spin Milled or CG12 with zip grooves?Are they as clicky as the SM? I am thinking about a 52*-54* gap/sand wedge!Also do you think I could get a 56* bent to 52*or 53*, they have 14* of bounce and I generally cant play that much bounce,does it change the grind or just the bounce?Todd

someone correct me if im wrong but i thought if you were to bend the 56* which has 14* of bounce to 52* or 53* that would change your bounce to 10* and 11* respectively.

My x-forged has a slightly duller sound than my father's sm's. As for feel fairly line ball... Both feel softer than the cg12's but this is not to say the cg12's feel bad, they have a nice crisp but still soft feel.

some good bunker sessions will ease up the ball shredding....

I had to spend a few hours in the sand before my Rac TPs stopped tearing apart the ball on full wedge shots.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I don't blame the grooves, I blame the balls, the durability is scandalous. These are the marks left by a full 6 iron, and full 9;

21133615.JPG

If you are a pro and full irons did this, never mind what full wedges off hard fairways,you would change every hole as well. And its not new, Norman was going through 18 110 compressions years ago. There is NO question that the wind wil do something to a ball with tears this bad. Bridgestones and Blackmaxs seem to be the worst, Callawys not far behind, Pro V1s are as good as any but they are all utter pants at resisting decent strikes. I do compress the ball, with blades, but I am only a 110 with the driver.

Played yesterday, first full round with Bridgestone B330-s balls. They still get cut up by the SM Vokey but they also showed marks from mid to high irons. They did fair better than ProV1x's and at $17 less per dozen, I'll stick with them and the vokey.

BB DBD 9 Rogue

BBA 16 Rogue

XHP 18* Fubuki 415

MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5

Bettinardi SS DASS 8

SM5 50, 54, 58 Px 5.5
B330S GHIN 6.0

i just got a 58 degree xtour with the MD grooves for my bday today. its lightly used so hopefully it wont shred the ball too badly

though i play with RAC Fe2o3 wedges now and i have never scuffed a ball (or at least never had shards of a golf ball in the grooves) before. so maybe i wont do it with these either.

are you guys not scuffing with other wedges and then starting to shred the ball with these wedges? or is the problem just made worse with these?

I don't blame the grooves, I blame the balls, the durability is scandalous. These are the marks left by a full 6 iron, and full 9;

21133615.JPG

If you are a pro and full irons did this, never mind what full wedges off hard fairways,you would change every hole as well. And its not new, Norman was going through 18 110 compressions years ago. There is NO question that the wind wil do something to a ball with tears this bad. Bridgestones and Blackmaxs seem to be the worst, Callawys not far behind, Pro V1s are as good as any but they are all utter pants at resisting decent strikes. I do compress the ball, with blades, but I am only a 110 with the driver.

Yeah, the Bridgestone B330s are the worst, the groove damage feels rough to the touch and doesn't look very aerodynamic and it picks up a LOT of dirt.

The cover reminds me of the Tour Editions that Greg Noman used... both these balls are not very durable and

the Cally/Titleist options are much much better!

• 1 month later...
All new wedges shred the ball.Thats you hit lots of range balls to deaden that effect

I agree. My scratch wedges don't claim to be shredders but I'm definitely picking out slivers of range balls. My old SM vokeys weren't tearing up Prov1s like my new scratch stuff is... granted the SM were well used. It's just a new wedge problem.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

i figure i'll take them out for a test run on the course tomorrow. if significant scuffing persists....i'll dedicate a couple of practice sessions to bunker play. lord knows my scoring could use it and from what i read here, the grooves could use some abuse.

either way....i got the similar results with the TM Rac, Mizuno MP, Titleist SM Vokey, somewhat with the PING Tour......but it faded pretty quickly with all of those mentioned once they got some shots under their belt. the scuffing is to be expected in a new wedge....with the groove technology and the soft covers on the balls...what do you expect?

i'd also like to add that the previous wedges that i mentioned absolutely ate the HX and ix balls....i got much better results with the Prov1's. Interested to see what these now sticks can do....

I'll be testing the MD grooves against my new CG12 in a few days. They are replacing a 7 year old 56* 588 and a 3 year old 60* 588. All I can say so far is my new 64* CG12 earned a permanent place in my bag last Friday during a quick 15 holes afterwork.

Sure it had been drizzling all day (San Diego) and I was playing w/ an 07 and 08 Nike Platinum but I have NEVER put spin on a ball like that before. I must have had at least 4 or 5 putts for birdie or par that were a direct result of being able to "fire at the pin".

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Are they actually called "Mack Daddy Grooves"?

yeah. cleveland has zip grooves, vokey has spin milled, cally has MD grooves.

I still have my X-Forged Wedges, but I put them on the shelf because they tear my Pro V1s and Cally Ix Balls. I've switched to the CG12s, and these are "kinder" to the ball covers, with just the same amount of spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter