2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Do you mark (or use) a line on your ball for putting?

pkshooter

I am thinking about marking a line on my golfballs this year to use for lining up putts. Just curious how many of you use an alignment mark on your ball. I've tried it a handfull of times, but I find myself more of a "feel" putter and like to finalize the read when I am over the ball. That being said, my putting has been suspect, so I am thinking about making the change. Interested to hear any comments.

Also, I play Bridgestone E6 that has a small line and arrow on the ball. Is there any advantage to draw a more prominent line than to just use the graphic already on the ball?

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping i500 Recoil 5-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to work pretty good.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

I mark my balls with a thin blue line all around and align it with the aimline I want for my putts. I find it helps me concentrate on my stroke and aimline, and "forget" about the hole and the ball-track, which works for me. During the first few weeks I was never sure that I was aligning the ball on my aimline, but after a while I became quite confident.

it also helps show which way the putt broke and how the greens are rolling because if the line rotates continuously forward u know u hit the putt somewhat near where u were aiming.. it helps a lot in my opinion.. the <---prov1---> arrow isnt dark enough to know if u hit the putt on line as it isnt thick enough, but the ball is still fantastic lol

I'm a very feel based player, somewhat unorthodox as well, so I actually place the ball so that there are no visual lines or ball stampings visual at address.

My putting routine is different, I read the line from behind the ball to get a general feel for the break and make my more exact setup once I'm over the ball. Not having a cue to stick to also helps me adjust at address.

No judgment, we're all just different.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

Proper aligment isn't one of my natural abilities so I use a line traced over the manufactures arrows both of the tee and for putting. It has help me a lot both in terms of strokes and visual clues, ie: what proper aligment looks like, so I can transfer does visual cues when hitting a shot when using the line is not an option. Not mention the confidence it gives of knowing that I'm aligned corectly of the tee.

I used to use the manufacturer's graphic and would always select balls that had good size alignment aids. However, last fall I went to a TPI-trained pro who, as part of the golf fitness assessment, tested my "spatial awareness" using some building blocks. Based on the results, he said I may be hurting myself by using a graphic to line-up my putts and suggested I not use any line at all. His argument was that I am very much a feel player and using the alignment aid was hindering my mind's ability to "see" the line based on feel.

I only got to try it out on the course for a month so the jury is still out but it certainly speeded up my play :good:

God no!!! And I wish all the 10 handicappers would stop too!

I hate waiting behind someone who takes 5 minutes on the green because he is adjusting the line on his putt!!!!!!! :good:

Well I am not a 10 handicapper, but I do know what you mean in trying to keep the pace of play. But, what if that 10 handicapper makes more putts taking his time and making those dreaded 5 footers, does that not make play a little faster?

I hate waiting behind someone who takes 5 minutes on the green because he is adjusting the line on his putt!!!!!!! :good:

Well I am not a 10 handicapper, but I do know what you mean in trying to keep the pace of play. But, what if that 10 handicapper makes more putts taking his time and making those dreaded 5 footers, does that not make play a little faster?

No, because when he misses it and leaves a 14 incher, he goest through the same process and takes just as much time as the last 3 putts his stroked!!

The whole process bugs me because they NEVER get it lined up the first time and because they watch too much golf on TV they restart their 40 second preshot routine then another 30 seconds standing over the putt before they whiff it again!!!

Im not picking on all that do this, but more so the ones who spend 2 grand on a "tour" set, cloths staff bags etc and cant break 100!! It drives me insane!

No, because when he misses it and leaves a 14 incher, he goest through the same process and takes just as much time as the last 3 putts his stroked!!

The whole process bugs me because they NEVER get it lined up the first time and because they watch too much golf on TV they restart their 40 second preshot routine then another 30 seconds standing over the putt before they whiff it again!!!

Im not picking on all that do this, but more so the ones who spend 2 grand on a "tour" set, cloths staff bags etc and cant break 100!! It drives me insane!

I think speed of play is just about common sense, planning, and courtesy. I use the mfr graphic for most putts except the real short ones. I figure out my line while other people are putting, then when I place the ball and pick up my mark, I just place it so the line is pointing where I'm going to aim the putt. Takes maybe an extra ten seconds.

I don't use a line on the ball, since ever so often when I've tried it, it seems that I worry about wether the line is actually properly aligned and directly on top of the ball - this is probaly all in my head, but for obvious reasons I don't want anything further to screw things up.

I rather like to focus on the back of the ball and use the alignment markers (lines) on my putter (classic cavity blade-style putter) and just let the ball get in the way of a putter (hopefully) swinging on the right plane.

As another guy noted above, a line can be really useful on short putts though (for me as well).

One really cool thing about alignment lines: I remember reading an article on Tiger Woods once, on how he draws his line on his ball just before tee'ing off - WITHOUT anything but his steady hand to keep the line being marked straight. First tee jitters?! Damn...