2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger plays poorly

wwhitehead

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost think he tries too hard to start the tourney then he settles down on the weekend. Also he didn't play bad, his ballstriking was great for the most part. He just got out putted by Immelman. Who'd of guessed that? He also was just 1 of 6 from the bunkers, heck if he was 5/6 he wins the tourney. It all came down to him (TW) not making the putts and Immelman making his.

Putting!!! His putting was off. When he makes all those short makable putts he kills the field. When he does not make those putts, he does not win.

Hands down he is the best putter on the planet. When he is on he dominates. When he does not putt well, he does not dominate. IMO

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Agree......

Don't get me wrong...i'm a TW fan...he is awesome. But i feel like theres gonna be a tendency to examine when he doesnt win, and view the Champion in the light of Tigers failings. All this talk of 'if he'd putted half decent' and even his statement "i holed nothing". He holed a bomb on 11 and a pretty long one on 18 - and thats only refering to the sunday back 9. (i didn't see his front 9). Yes he missed one or two tricky knee knockers....but everyone does - we just analyse his. Obviously the 18th was irrelevant in context....but it isn't over the course of a round ! Phil had more total putts

Even the slam talk was a bit annoying (i think to his credit he's acknowledged how the press have had him on this).... if u considered his Major winning ratio to be say 30% (its not actually as high as that, but given the level he' splaying at NOW and probably a good reflection of his mormal win ratio) the probability of a Calendar Grand slam in any given year is upwards of 1 in 100 !

Immelman deserves the plaundits..simple as that

Imo Tiger really let one go this week, and it wasn't really even his driving that cost him. Sure he hit a few wayward drives which he will always do because he tries to hit it too hard but they didn't really cost him. It was more his short game and putting that cost him. He had several poor shots around the greens, like on friday on 2 he is like 40 out and puts it in the bunker, and only 1/6 from bunkers, his bunker shot on 10 today was very average. Then besides the putt on 11 he made nothing of substance that I saw, missed a short one at 4, 13, 15, 16, three putt on 14. Just not a typical performance around the greens for Tiger. He easily hit it well enough to win in my opinion. Trevor deserved the win and he probably wouldn't have dunked it on 16 without such a big lead, but he certainly didn't get Tiger's best shot and I don't think anyone can argue that.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I think this is not about giving Trevor not the credit.

To me, it is still amazing what Tiger does. If he plays poorly it is still as good as a decent day for 95% of the guys on tour. Playing a "lousy" as he did and finishing in 2nd place at the masters is just sick. Mind, when you listened to the commentators you really had the impression that he was hitting is poorly. Yes he putted poorly, yes Trevor very much deserved to win but to see Tiger play like this - 6 starts, 4 wins, one 5th and one 2nd place - please name one player that comes even CLOSE, just a little CLOSE to this kind of steady performance. And people are talking about Cink and the guys being consistent - its not even close. What we are seeing - even thou he does not win every single one he enters (and he shouldn't for the sake of the game and viewers) - is by far the most advanced golf ever seen. If he can keep this kind of "average" game (which is by far and away better than his average game in 2000/2001) - god lord, we are in for a ride.

But congrats to Trevor for playing 3 perfect rounds and one good-enough-one. His win was well deserved but to me, tigers consistency is more impressive than a masters victory.

Tiger himself said he was hitting the ball very well (that is not playing like crap). It was his putting that let him down.

Sheesh...some days they drop, some days they don't. Golf doesn't care if your name is Tiger Woods or Joe Six-Pack. That's golf.

He didn't play like "crap". Immelman played great. Give the guy his due.

nobody plays for second

nobody remembers second

It does not matter...and most of all it does not matter to Eldrick.

Be sure to bring this up when people mention Jack's record of second places.

On one hand, I agree, second is the first loser. On the other hand, this shows how close Jack and Tiger came to adding yet another first place finish.

I almost think he tries too hard to start the tourney then he settles down on the weekend. Also he didn't play bad, his ballstriking was great for the most part. He just got out putted by Immelman. Who'd of guessed that? He also was just 1 of 6 from the bunkers, heck if he was 5/6 he wins the tourney. It all came down to him (TW) not making the putts and Immelman making his.

I actually think that he focuses a little too much (if there is such a thing). Maybe I should say that he's too deliberate. Have you noticed in the last couple of years, particularly at the Masters how Tiger seems to play a lot slower than normal? Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember him doing that. Also, if there is anything that gets to him more than anything else, it seems to be swirling winds. As others have said, it was his putting that costed him, but those winds, not only make him grind harder, but forces him to a more precise shot.

Imo Tiger really let one go this week, and it wasn't really even his driving that cost him. Sure he hit a few wayward drives which he will always do because he tries to hit it too hard but they didn't really cost him. It was more his short game and putting that cost him. He had several poor shots around the greens, like on friday on 2 he is like 40 out and puts it in the bunker, and only 1/6 from bunkers, his bunker shot on 10 today was very average. Then besides the putt on 11 he made nothing of substance that I saw, missed a short one at 4, 13, 15, 16, three putt on 14. Just not a typical performance around the greens for Tiger. He easily hit it well enough to win in my opinion. Trevor deserved the win and he probably wouldn't have dunked it on 16 without such a big lead, but he certainly didn't get Tiger's best shot and I don't think anyone can argue that.

Tiger easily should've been in a playoff with Immelman if he makes those short putts that he normally doesn't miss. Again, not taking anything away from Immelman, but the story could be a whole lot different.

Nike Vr Pro Limited 8* w/Matrix Black Tie 6m3
Nike Vr Pro Limited 15* w/Matrix Black Tie 7m3
Nike Vr TW Blades w/TT X100
Nike Vr Pro 54/58 w/S400
Nike Method Matter B1-07

Trevor is getting "his dues" in all the Trevor threads... This thread is talking about a guy that started 6 shots back with 5(?) people ahead of him... putted incredibly poorly in his standards, and STILL came second...

This is a thread TALKING/DISCUSSION about Tiger still coming second... its NOT about taking anything away from Trevor...

If it wasnt "TIGER" we were talking about would this thread be OK in some peoples eyes??? Hmmm....

If it were anyone else saying they would have won had they made the putts we would be laughing at them. If Snedeker would have made some putts he would have won, same with anyone in the top 5. I mean this is like me saying if I was faster and stronger I would be a professional football player. In fact if it had been any other player on tour we would be talking about how the choaked by missing all of those "makeable" putts.

Truth of the matter is, he shot one of the better rounds of the day and the field came back to him. The difference is, he usually does somthign like this on Saturday and that is when he dominates.

If it were anyone else saying they would have won had they made the putts we would be laughing at them. If Snedeker would have made some putts he would have won, same with anyone in the top 5. I mean this is like me saying if I was faster and stronger I would be a professional football player. In fact if it had been any other player on tour we would be talking about how the choaked by missing all of those "makeable" putts.

Truth of the matter is, he shot one of the better rounds of the day and the field came back to him. The difference is, he usually does somthign like this on Saturday and that is when he dominates.

I did talk about his choking and he was

Ken

Once again Tiger didn't play like crap, tee to green he was great (he even said so himself), just like Immelman. He flat out putted poorly, that 4 footer on 13 didn't even scare the hole. How many times do you see that from Tiger? Immelman putted great and Tiger (although he made a couple bombs on 11 and 18) putted poorly, that was the difference. I should say Tiger putted poorly for him, his standards are obviously the best if not one of the top few in the world in putting.

When all is said and done, tiger had one of the more impressive masters compared to the rest. All of his rounds were par or better, that is pretty impressive. He made up some shots the last day, and honestly it looked like trevor was on the verge to collapse after he had a bogey or a double(dont remember) on either 15 or 16. However, he held it together. There were what, 3 or 4 others ahead of Tiger going into the final round and he caught all but one. I think its about time someone doesn't fold when the pressure is on. Tiger finishing second honestly could be better for him in the long run, it will motivate him to get even better.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I found it amazing that Tiger, who played poorly for his standards, still pulled off second. He missed numerous birdie putts that he would normally make and he had quite a few shots off of the pine needles, through the trees due to errant drives and yet he still came in second. I do not want to detract from Immelman's win, as he had an amazing week and came in first, but Tiger had a lousy week and came in second.

I found it amazing that Tiger, who played poorly for his standards, still pulled off second. He missed numerous birdie putts that he would normally make and he had quite a few shots off of the pine needles, through the trees due to errant drives and yet he still came in second. I do not want to detract from Immelman's win, as he had an amazing week and came in first, but Tiger had a lousy week and came in second.

Dont forget the roundes played by Snedeker, Flesch and Casey who shot resepctively +5 +6 and +7 the last round. So yea, Tiger reached 2. with a round on Par, but had the above mentioned players played on par, Tiger would finish 5th. This can go on for hours on end, but point being that Tiger didnt get to 2nd by his own play, but rather because of others bad play