Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

[quote name='mat562' timestamp='1327850079' post='4172455']
Don't get me started.

A Surrey section plod should have been in the local nick's custody suite before now, with a 'Morning sarge. I've got two for you. Caring and Els, they're called. Both local. Both on suspicion of criminal damage to a classic golf course...'
[/quote]

I'm sure Lee Westwood agrees with you as well. I think Ernie's putting stroke has never forgiven him....

Paul, I've got that hour-long '87 Ryder Cup highlights video. And a couple or three '93 Ryder Cup VHS tapes are in my Fortress of Solitude, upstairs. If you're having a copying day anytime soon, let me know and I'll send you the tapes.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Wilco mate.

I'd do them myself and send you a few DVDs down, but my faithful old Toshiba VCR/DVD/HDD combo decided, a few months back, that it won't dub anymore - albeit mercifully the VCR element still works; the only VHS facility I've got nowadays. The bloody thing's only about 7 years old, I think. My father's old top-loading JVC video only conked out about four years ago, and he bought it in 1980. I purloined it in adulthood because it was the same video most of my really old tapes were recorded on, so the tracking was spot on when I sat down to watch a bit of classic golf. It worked perfectly up until about the time we last moved house. Even if it did weigh a ton, it racked up more than a quarter of a century of graft, that video. Clearly, they don't make 'em like they used to.

I've been meaning to do it for ages, but I'll have a ferret around and see what I can find, tape-wise. There must be dozens of VHS tapes of all sorts of stuff from the mid '80s to the mid '90s in various boxes.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

[size="3"]Gachet,if the current thread ever comes to a halt would you PLEASE consider doing the same for Woosie?
It's been a treat to see some of his play again and to listen to Clive AND the wonderful Alex Hay,brilliant insights into what was going on as well as technical appreciation.Sadly missed.

CHIP 75 Agree,but the ONLY way to preserve older courses for pro events is to change the BALL and maybe driver size.BTW my reference to my thread on Frank Stranahan was in response to Staffer's thoughts on NF and TW as golfing athletes.You may not be old enough to remember Gary Player but he was considered to be the first golfing athlete but Frank Stranahan even predated him by 10 years with a fantastic amateur record which included finishing 2nd behind Hogan in the '53 Open.He was also a champion weightlifter and has run over 100 marathons.THAT is athleticism!

Apologies Gachet![/size]

Yeah have a dig around mate and any interesting stuff I will copy onto DVD, no problemo !

It would be great if anyone out there has any footage from the Suntory or Toyota World Match Play Championships at Wentworth involving Faldo and that Tyrall one sounds quite appealing too................not forgetting the big five charity special ! ;)

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327855496' post='4172845']
[size="3"]Gachet,if the current thread ever comes to a halt would you PLEASE consider doing the same for Woosie?

It's been a treat to see some of his play again and to listen to Clive AND the wonderful Alex Hay,brilliant insights into what was going on as well as technical appreciation.Sadly missed.[/size]
[/quote]
No worries okesa, will do but it could be a while yet mate ! :crazy:

I just buzzed you an email with the list of Faldo vids. Let me know what you would like!

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1327855506' post='4172847']
Yeah have a dig around mate and any interesting stuff I will copy onto DVD, no problemo !

It would be great if anyone out there has any footage from the Suntory or Toyota World Match Play Championships at Wentworth involving Faldo and that Tyrall one sounds quite appealing too................not forgetting the big five charity special ! ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327855496' post='4172845']
It's been a treat to see some of his play again and to listen to Clive AND the wonderful Alex Hay,brilliant insights into what was going on as well as technical appreciation.Sadly missed.

CHIP 75 Agree,but the ONLY way to preserve older courses for pro events is to change the BALL and maybe driver size.BTW my reference to my thread on Frank Stranahan was in response to Staffer's thoughts on NF and TW as golfing athletes.You may not be old enough to remember Gary Player but he was considered to be the first golfing athlete but Frank Stranahan even predated him by 10 years with a fantastic amateur record which included finishing 2nd behind Hogan in the '53 Open.He was also a champion weightlifter and has run over 100 marathons.THAT is athleticism!

Apologies Gachet![/size]
[/quote]

Faldo has an interesting idea. Forbid tee pegs. Makes sense actually. I always thought the ball was the thing to regulate, but tee pegs are better because it is less likely to change the economy of the ball and club manufacturers/brands., thus less risk of losing money from the game.

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1327855506' post='4172847']It would be great if anyone out there has any footage from the Suntory or Toyota World Match Play Championships at Wentworth involving Faldo and that Tyrall one sounds quite appealing too................not forgetting the big five charity special ! ;)
[/quote]

I've got the highlights of the Matchplay for '91, '92, '94, '95, '96. Plus the Irish Open from 1992 and the Johnnie Walker event that Tiger shot low on Sunday to pip Els and Goosen, I thought Faldo's swing looked great that week but he had a rough Sunday. I'll try and pop over my brothers next week or the week after and borrow his DVD recorder.

[quote name='faldofan1980' timestamp='1327859569' post='4173173']
I just buzzed you an email with the list of Faldo vids. Let me know what you would like!
[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1327855506' post='4172847']

[/quote]
[/quote]
Cheers mate, just got in so will check it out now ! :good:

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1327867302' post='4173817']
[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1327855506' post='4172847']It would be great if anyone out there has any footage from the Suntory or Toyota World Match Play Championships at Wentworth involving Faldo and that Tyrall one sounds quite appealing too................not forgetting the big five charity special ! ;)
[/quote]
I've got the highlights of the Matchplay for '91, '92, '94, '95, '96. Plus the Irish Open from 1992 and the Johnnie Walker event that Tiger shot low on Sunday to pip Els and Goosen, I thought Faldo's swing looked great that week but he had a rough Sunday. I'll try and pop over my brothers next week or the week after and borrow his DVD recorder.
[/quote]
Chip, that would be great if you can sort something out when you can mate and just let me know what the damage would be ! :good:

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327869906' post='4174011']
[size="3"]Staffer,are you sure it wasn't April 1st when he said that?Very simple answer is to introduce a ball that replicates the old balata for flight,spin and distance and make that compulsory as a standard ball for pro events.[/size]
[/quote]

Well: http://www.golftoday.co.uk/golf_international_mag/features/sir_nick_faldo_interview.html

And I would love playing balatas again...trust me...

The downside is that the effect it would have on the ball industry is kind of unpredictable.

Removing tee pegs is a brilliant idea actually. There would be large side effects, but in a way that still allowed product development in balls and clubs to be a diversifying factor. Driver heads would become smaller (lower), balls would spin more, but in a way that didnt mean that every driver or ball was the same.

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327879859' post='4174757']
[size="3"]It would have no effect whatsoever.There would be a standardised golf ball for Tour events while the real world continues to play as normal.We must agree to differ because this is defo off topic.[/size]
[/quote]

My post was not off topic, it was about Nick Faldo attitude towards tee pegs. Fits right in.

But lets agree to disagree, marketing is a boring subject anyhow...and the more you know about it, the more boring it gets...trust me

This thread is just getting better and better...yahoo.gif

Certainly is. The 1987 Ryder Cup footage is wonderful. I'd love to see the concluding match of the second day (?) again. Lyle and Langer are playing Wadlkins and someone else; three pepper the flag on 18, then up steps Langer and hits it to two inchs for a gimmie birdie. Fantastic! (if memory serves, of course).

This thread is just getting better and better...yahoo.gif

Certainly is. The 1987 Ryder Cup footage is wonderful. I'd love to see the concluding match of the second day (?) again. Lyle and Langer are playing Wadlkins and someone else; three pepper the flag on 18, then up steps Langer and hits it to two inchs for a gimmie birdie. Fantastic! (if memory serves, of course).

Wadkins and Nelson as I remember, indeed that was a great night - was that a clean sweep that night 4-0 or 3.5-0.5.

This video is not actually of Faldo but he was present as he was Peter O'Malley's playing partner in the final round of the 1992 Bell's Scottish Open where he witnessed an incredible finish of POM shooting seven under par for the last five holes.

He went Eagle-Birdie-Birdie-Birdie-Eagle for a closing round 62 therefore snatching and winning his first European Tour Event at eighteen under par, two shots clear of Colin Montgomerie.

However, Faldo did go on and win The British Open at Muirfield a week later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGre9qIbvEo

What a shame the don't play at the Kings Course anymore. I know it's a little short, but the Gleneagles' PGA course really is soulless by comparison.

Monty was unluckly that year to run into that finish. That said, Monty was wearing an attention-seeking Scotland flag jumper that day.

LOL, I forgot about that !

Monty1992ScottishOpen1.jpg

Monty1992ScottishOpen.jpg

[quote name='faldofan1980' timestamp='1327651920' post='4160729']
I agree. However, 1990 was when he started to get the shaft really vertical in the backswing. I dont have the equipment but i have highlights from the '90 open and bbc coverage of the '90 masters 3rd and 4th round and certainly with the shorter irons his shaft at the half way position was vertical. Gachet might be able to post the second shot into the first from the '90 open 3rd round when paired against Norman, it shows the shaft vertical before being shallowed. In addition, if anyone has seen 'Faldo: its all in the Open' the doc on his Open career, you'll see more swings from '90 open with the same steep to shallow onto ball swing.

This really steep to shallow wasn't present in the mid-long irons and driver where the shaft was bisecting his right shoulder going back. I have a theory though about why it started going a little south in '93 onwards. Faldo always put massive emphasis on getting the club face moving in harmony with his body in the moveaway until his wrist set begun around the 8 o'clock position; This should he said in golf course 1 could make the cllub face look open but actually its just moving with the body. (check gachet's recent postings) It looks to me like he maintained this through to '92. There are many pictures of him just after the wrist set began with the toe up, i.e a neutral club face (even on the cover of 'The golf swing' by leadbetter). As all you guys know, this was to remove his tendency to drag the heel back first and close the club face. Which is why in the early years of the Leadbetter rebuild he actually fanned the face open to feel the toe and face moving fast.
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jun0ZP7A8k0&feature=player_embedded

With Regards Faldos takeaway and backswing: As we know he used to take it back shut pre leadbetter. Then from 87-circa 91 he had the face more open with the toe pointing up at the sky or a little toed in when at the 9 o'clock position. From 92/3 onwards he had the face more closed again. The leading edge matched his spine angle on the takeawat. I know modern teachers teach this takeaway rather than toe up to toe up. Maybe Leadbetter changed his opinion on the takeawy he wanted??

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328020878' post='4184301']
With Regards Faldos takeaway and backswing: As we know he used to take it back shut pre leadbetter. Then from 87-circa 91 he had the face more open with the toe pointing up at the sky or a little toed in when at the 9 o'clock position. From 92/3 onwards he had the face more closed again. The leading edge matched his spine angle on the takeawat. I know modern teachers teach this takeaway rather than toe up to toe up. Maybe Leadbetter changed his opinion on the takeawy he wanted??
[/quote]

I think you're right. I did read/watch something where Leadbetter states that he used to believe in toe straight up but had now changed his mind. I'll try to remember where.

I think for most of '92 his swing was in great shape. He did a big rebuild over winter 91/'92 and got it technically excellent again. I think his wrist problems had healed which helped. If you look at the euro year book from '92 his results were fanatastic, close to a win almost every time he teed it up. The driver swing from the 3rd round of the '92 open shows how neutral he had it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y03TTI9AC2s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y03TTI9AC2s[/url]

However, compare that to this driver swing from the ryder cup '93 and i think there are some little differences. A slight drag on the way back and slightly across the line at the top. Result was still great!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiRFRy0ws0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiRFRy0ws0[/url]

Below is his swing from '03 with a driver and i think he's ripping it. I followed him for every round at st georges in '03 and he was comfortably keeping up with poulter and rose all day for the first 2 rounds.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnerPh4jMQA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnerPh4jMQA&feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328020878' post='4184301']
[/quote]