Bethpage Black

coopizzez

It didn't look tough...but damn
We camped out and got to play the Black course on Saturday. It was my first time down there, and all I can say is WOW! We get to the first tee, take a picture around the warning sign, and off we went. Honestly, the first hole didn't look all that intimidating. I cut my tee shot slightly and almost made it around the corner. I couldn't go at the flag due to a tree, but I hacked a nine iron out of the rough into a greenside bunker. I'm thinking...this rough isn't that bad. HAHAHAHA!!!!! I was WRONG. We got rained on hard on the second hole, which got the grass wet for a few holes. I could not believe this rough. It's not crazy long, it's just soooo thick. It definitely got in my head...overswinging and trying to advance the ball is just sometimes not an option. And the fairways are narrow. The greens were great, quick, but not too fast.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It kicked my a** both mentally and physically...as it was the most difficult course I've walked as well. So penalizing for lack of accuracy. It's long, very long, but the rough was the killer for me. One foot off the fairway could easily lead to big numbers. I am officially finding at least 1 or 2 hybrids to put in the bag by the next time I play at Bethpage, which I hope will be sometime later this year. A high ball flight, and something to get the ball up fast is key. I carry a strong 3 wood and 2 iron, and pretty much all the longer clubs, were simply useless out of anything other than fairway or off the tee.

I hope to get on some of the other courses as the local guys all said the red and blue courses were awesome as well. If you get the chance, and getting on the courses is a huge hassle (we got there at 7pm the night before and we were #5 in line - got a 7:09 tee time), but it is WELL worth it. We also played Great River Golf Club in CT on our way down...also a very nice course.

I tried to upload some pics, but my images are too large...will try to re-size and add some later.

Here's some pics...I hope they re-sized ok.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I played Bethpage Black on Wednesday and Thursday. I've never played a course with rough that thick. After our first round, I realized that the hard swings needed to get out of the rough were completely throwing off my timing. I reminded myself of this during the second round and played much better tee-to-green.

We arrived from Canada (900 mile drive to Bethpage) Tuesday night at 11 p.m. and were fourth in line. We got the 8:30 a.m. time on Wednesday. We were first in line for times Thursday morning and chose 8 a.m.

I was totally shocked that the guys in cars #2 & #3 on Thursday morning chose the Yellow course. I thought the big demand was for spots on the Black or maybe the Red courses.

Loved the entire experience - the sleepover, the golf, everthing. Its something everyone should do at least once in their lives.

We played the back tees...the blues. Par 71, 7387 yards. 76.6 rating, 144 rating. I did not strike the ball well at all and had several big numbers and shot 91. I hate to admit it, but my handicap is usually between 4 and 5. Damn that rough!!!! The rating/slope from the red tees is 77.6/152!!!!

One thing we noticed, several new bunkers that were not in the yardage book....quite a few large fairway bunkers were not shown in the yardage book...so we're assuming they're new. Also, there were a couple new tee boxes to make the course even longer...assuming those were for the 2009 Open as well.

I will be back and I will break 90 guaranteed.

One more thing...on the back of the score card, it says "New York State". Under that, "Governor Eliot Spitzer" blacked out with sharpie...I wonder how many score cards they had to do that to...haha.

I was at Bethpage last Wednesday for a Charity Tournament that my Company was the Presenting sponsor and played the Red Course. I have played the Black before and it is so worth it! The Red Course is AWESOME as well, great layout and the condition was Fantastic!!!! Does anybody know who designed the Red Course? If you wanted to Sponsor a 4-some on the Black it was $20k! They had 1 group pony up.

I will be heading back for a trip!!! What time do you think is best to get in line?

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

I was at Bethpage last Wednesday for a Charity Tournament that my Company was the Presenting sponsor and played the Red Course. I have played the Black before and it is so worth it! The Red Course is AWESOME as well, great layout and the condition was Fantastic!!!! Does anybody know who designed the Red Course? If you wanted to Sponsor a 4-some on the Black it was $20k! They had 1 group pony up.

I will be heading back for a trip!!! What time do you think is best to get in line?

Tillinghast designed the Black, Red and Blue at Bethpage-- though I think there was some controversy that surfaced during the 2002 Open over whether he actually did design the Black.

Played Red today and it was in pretty nice shape. Rough was thick and heavy and the course was set-up for the Long Island Open this Tuesday/Wednesday so it was playing tough. At almost 7100 yards par 70 from the tips and almost 6600 yards par 70 from the whites, the Red is course is definitely no slouch.

Ping G425 Max 9* 
Bridgestone HF1
Eidolon 57*
Lab DF 2.1

Another question..... If we decided to go on a tuesday night and arrive around 7:00pm would we have any problems getting on the course the following morning???

Thanks,

3puttforpar

I would think you would be one of the first ones in line. So it shouldn't be but you never know, that's the beauty of it! Play the Red if you can't get on the black. I thought you were busy working!?!?!

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Another question..... If we decided to go on a tuesday night and arrive around 7:00pm would we have any problems getting on the course the following morning???

Thanks,

3puttforpar

I would think you would be one of the first ones in line. So it shouldn't be but you never know, that's the beauty of it! Play the Red if you can't get on the black. I thought you were busy working!?!?!

Dbogey

Dbogey,

Dont you realize somethings are more important than work??? The new plan for our group is to show up monday night at 7:00 and try to get on the course tuesday morning.

3putt4par

Thanks,

3puttforpar

Dbogey

Dbogey,

Dont you realize somethings are more important than work??? The new plan for our group is to show up monday night at 7:00 and try to get on the course tuesday morning.

3putt4par

The Black is certainly one of them!!!

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played Black for my first time ever on Sunday, July 7. I'd played the other Bethpage courses but this was the first time I could get a reasonable starting time for more than a single. I have to say, it was the greatest golf experience of my life. I am a 29 Brooklynite with a modest income. I have played many nice courses in my life but had never been lucky enough to play anything truly "famous" or universaly notable (outside of Myrtle), let alone major championship tested. For someone of my profile, who relies on public transportation and reasonable rates, it is like Black was built for me, to hold me over until I am able to play the Pebble Beaches and St. Andrew's of the world.

I am about a 10 handicap, but I hit it long and my short game is solid enough, so I figured the worst the course has to offer wouldn't slay me too much.

The first tee was a truly incredible experience, unlike anything I had ever felt. From the warning sign, to the semi-gallery of people always watching with heightened interest, to all the lore and expectation (to my terrible warm-up on the practice range which had me re-thinking this decision). Add to everything my previous experiences playing Black on Tiger Woods PGA Tour and I was amped, shaking way too much to even tee up my ball, and nevertheless, in absolute heaven.

On to the round! I was so nervous I couldn't feel a muscle in my body. You know what? It was the greatest feeling I had had since I was a little kid, to be able to appreciate something so much it overwhelms your entire body. I got the hard part out of the way and hit a nice fade drive right down the middle to the end of the corner. I didn't even have to watch it, thank god. Again, I can't explain the feeling. Well, fast forward, I stayed super nervous for the first 4 holes and wound up being 1 under to that point. Once I got comfortable, however, normalcy returned.

I hit the ball well all day but, like the man said, you miss the fairway or green by a foot and it's an adventure. Personally, I was thankful for that, made me concentrate more on what I was doing. After an opening nine 42 my goal was simply to break 90. The back nine had other ideas for me, though, and despite 2 text-book pars and a string of 4 very acceptable bogeys, I wound up getting the full taste of the beast on the other three holes: two Triples and a Double. Plain and simple, I lost two balls in rough just off the fairway, and tried to do too much with another couple balls in the fescue. So, I scored a 90 and still was definitely happy with that for my first round on the Black.

I can't wait to go back and have the feeling my friends and I will be gunning for Black every chance we get. Maybe I built the course up too much in my head but I dont care; that build up made it the most rewarding golf experience I have ever had to-date. I'm sure some people who've been all over aren't as easily impressed by Black as I was, and that's fine. But like I said, for someone where I am in life, this beautiful muni had all the glory and mysitque of playing Pine Valley. My only regret is I will never be able to play it for the first time ever again.

The Black is the most difficult course I've ever played. Love it. Played it twice. I'm a 12. Shot 98 and 115 from the blue tees. I can't really get why Great River is a 150 slope and the Black "only" 144. I found the Black much much tougher.

To me, the most difficult aspects of the Black part were the unforgiving rough and the long par 4s (a few short ones at 389, 408, 411, 430 and 435, and then the long ones at 460, 478, 478 uphill, 490, 501 and 502). With often long second shots to frequently elevated and always well bunkered greens, forget about par on par 4s if you're in the rough. Take your medicine and lay up. From the fairway, a good high 200 yard shot is essential to play the Black well. Mmm, I forgot, that 200 yard shot also has to be straigth, otherwise you end up in just unnameable stuff in high-lipped bunkers or around them.

What I especially appreciate about the course is how you have obstacles for every shot and how you really have to plan tee shots well and decide exactly where you should carry a bunker or place your ball in doglegs. Full attention is required for every shot.

With all the recent rain, the greens grab really well and don't roll as much as I imagine they could. The course must be tougher still in dry conditions.

Am planing a "Black Challenge" for next summer, to play the Black with 3 other buddies 3 times over 5 days.

If you're not impressed after the first 3 holes, just wait until you get to the 4th!

thank you dntrs4, i'm glad you enjoyed it. the post was certainly my bob costas moment.

i'm not certain how you meant it, but it's very very easy to get on Black, even if you are not in-state, and especially if you are a single. if showing up the night before is not your cup of tea just show up around 10am and keep an eye on the tee-time board. its no problem to find a reasonable single or twosome in the early afternoon if you just hang out a bit. Black gets overbooked and definitely over-cancelled, especially on the day-of. not sure where you live, but if you can get to Bethpage, you can get on Black (if it's open).

One more thing...on the back of the score card, it says "New York State". Under that, "Governor Eliot Spitzer" blacked out with sharpie...I wonder how many score cards they had to do that to...haha.

That's pretty funny. I just checked a score card from last week, and David Patterson's name is now on the back.

also look to the right on #1 tee box. the big bill board has "Spitzer" all faded from the sun now covered up with David Patterson.

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics Coop, I live in PA where there are some tough walking courses and I walk almost all the time. I am 53 and in pretty good shape but walking BB was the hardest physicaly I have walked in a long time. I last played there about the same you did and the rough was so thick my hybrid would not cut through it. I tried the first few holes and the rough just grabbed the head and almost stopped it. I made out better with the irons but only marginaly. I played there last fall and the fairways were wider. They tightend them up for next year, just to make things tougher.

Thanks again for the pics your shot from the tee at 18 is my new screen saver.

Bill