Bethpage Black

coopizzez

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

[quote name='klehrkeyes' post='1855713' date='Jul 31 2009, 02:08 PM']What are the odds of getting on red or black as a single walk on tomorrow morning (without camping out the night before)?[/quote]

Really nice swing - is that you? Anyway, there's a shot as a single to get on one of the 5 courses without having to camp out [as you say]. I'm assuming that you've played there before since you're from NY, so you know about the TV screens. Only bad thing thing is that it's a weekend and you might have to sit around for awhile.

EDIT: While you're there, why don't you register to make reservations since you're from the state? You will need your driver's license.

i'll add my thoughts about Black to this thread as well. my review will make a bit more sense if you know a little about my golf game. i'm a 6 handicap, and hit it quite long and very high. about 270-280 with a solid drive, and 190-200 with my 5 iron. solid short game and putter. my short irons are probably my weakness.

i live in manhattan, and had only played the black twice before this summer. because of the Open, 3 buddies of mine flew in and we planned to play Black 4 times over 2 days. (after the Open) That's right - 36 holes on Black two days in a row.

i won't bore everyone with the details of car camping (ask me if you have questions), but we were able to do it, logistically and physically. first day we teed off at 709am and 145pm, and then 830am and 248pm the second day. all 4 rounds took about 5.5 hours. the last round was almost 6 hours.

the reason i love Black is because it requires a lot of strategy and discipline to score well. The combination of the long par 4s, the rough, greenside bunkers, and the elevated greens is pretty awesome. To explain, let's say you drive it 250 into the rough on 15. you'll have about 170 left into a green 40 feet above you. do you go for it? you'll need to judge the lie, and an honest evaluation of your chances of getting it on the green. you'll have to judge your bunker game, because while the bunkers are deep, it's not impossible. also, if the pin is in the back, being in the bunker is no good at all. so after taking in all these factors, you'll need to make a decision. that's fun, and rarely do courses make you think so much. there are at least 2 other holes like this, number 5 and 13, where you'll have to decide whether to go for it or not. in the case of 13, clearing the cross bunker. but on almost every non-par 3 hole, if you're in the rough you'll have to decide what club you can hit. if you are consistently too greedy, you'll have a long day. if you play smart and take what course gives you, you'll have a chance to score.

another thing about the rough which is fun is chipping. no one has mentioned this so far, but when you have a bad or so-so lie in the rough, it's difficult to gauge how the ball will come out. yeah, it makes the course more difficult, but also more fun. you have to study lie, and make an educated guess.

I have to qualify all this with the fact that the Black suits my game pretty well, since i hit it long and high. Obviously being in the rough hurts, so when i drive the ball well, i can score on Black. Also, i'm 30 yards longer than most people so being 140 in the rough is a lot different than 170.

One piece of advice which another guy also mentioned - get some hybrids before you play the Black! As Mike Weir showed, hybrids are your best friend when you're 170-200 yards out in the rough. There's no way you can hit the same shot with a long iron. NO way.

For the record, i shot 82, 89 (85), 77, 82 (80). The scores in parenthesis are my handicap (ESQ) adjusted scores. I had 36 putts in my 77 rounds as well. it could've been a career round!

Lee

[quote name='lc4jlc4j' post='1865348' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:33 PM']i'll add my thoughts about Black to this thread as well. my review will make a bit more sense if you know a little about my golf game. i'm a 6 handicap, and hit it quite long and very high. about 270-280 with a solid drive, and 190-200 with my 5 iron. solid short game and putter. my short irons are probably my weakness.

i live in manhattan, and had only played the black twice before this summer. because of the Open, 3 buddies of mine flew in and we planned to play Black 4 times over 2 days. (after the Open) That's right - 36 holes on Black two days in a row.

i won't bore everyone with the details of car camping (ask me if you have questions), but we were able to do it, logistically and physically. first day we teed off at 709am and 145pm, and then 830am and 248pm the second day. all 4 rounds took about 5.5 hours. the last round was almost 6 hours.

Lee[/quote]

Lee,

Just wondering what two days you played? During the week or over the weekend? I'm going out there one of the next couple weekends and was wondering how early the night before I need to get there to get a two-some in the morning.

Thanks for any info you can share. And great rounds you played! Especially back-to-back! Did you have a caddie or did you carry all 4 rounds? Do you have a superlight bag or what?

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

[quote name='HiJon89' post='1866389' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:11 PM']Got a tee time for next Tuesday at 3:15pm, trying to decide if I should play Whites or Blues. Does it really play to the full 7300 yards from the blues?[/quote]

The course is a beast!
If you have never played there before, I strongly suggest playing from the white tees. Although on the first few holes there difference in tees is minimal, it will show its face possibly from hole 3 on.
Nevermind the course being 7300 yards, if you miss the fairway on all but one of the par 4's from #5-17- your chance of hitting the green in regulation is nearly 0. The rough at Bethpage is THICK and very tough to advance a low lofted club out of.
Im pretty long off the tee (300+ range) and there are many instances where a crooked tee shot results in a pitch back out to the fairway for my second shot.
The course is long and the rounds typically play slower than what you expect- but by slow it just takes everyone a long time to play the holes- you are never waiting over shots

[quote name='HiJon89' post='1866389' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:11 PM']Got a tee time for next Tuesday at 3:15pm, trying to decide if I should play Whites or Blues. Does it really play to the full 7300 yards from the blues?[/quote]

I don't think they ever put the blue tees all the way back. I think the blue tees probably play somewhere around 6900 actual, but I think the course plays longer (not a lot of roll and so many forced carries).

Lee,

Dare I ask how long the afternoon rounds took to play? Both times I played I had early times and it was at minimum 4:45. When I played the Red one afternoon it was well over 5 hours so I can only imagine how long a PM round would be on the Black.

[quote name='adam62482' post='1866415' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:23 PM'][quote name='HiJon89' post='1866389' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:11 PM']Got a tee time for next Tuesday at 3:15pm, trying to decide if I should play Whites or Blues. Does it really play to the full 7300 yards from the blues?[/quote]

The course is a beast!
If you have never played there before, I strongly suggest playing from the white tees. Although on the first few holes there difference in tees is minimal, it will show its face possibly from hole 3 on.
Nevermind the course being 7300 yards, if you miss the fairway on all but one of the par 4's from #5-17- your chance of hitting the green in regulation is nearly 0. The rough at Bethpage is THICK and very tough to advance a low lofted club out of.
Im pretty long off the tee (300+ range) and there are many instances where a crooked tee shot results in a pitch back out to the fairway for my second shot.
The course is long and the rounds typically play slower than what you expect- but by slow it just takes everyone a long time to play the holes- you are never waiting over shots
[/quote]
Hmm, well it was quite a pain to get a tee time and I won't have a chance to play the course again for at least a year so I'd like to play from the Blues even if it kills me.

[quote name='HiJon89' post='1866616' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:52 PM'][quote name='adam62482' post='1866415' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:23 PM'][quote name='HiJon89' post='1866389' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:11 PM']Got a tee time for next Tuesday at 3:15pm, trying to decide if I should play Whites or Blues. Does it really play to the full 7300 yards from the blues?[/quote]

The course is a beast!
[/quote]
Hmm, well it was quite a pain to get a tee time and I won't have a chance to play the course again for at least a year so I'd like to play from the Blues even if it kills me.
[/quote]

If you are a single digit handicap then playing the blues (as they set them) should not be a problem. Like I posted before, the blue tees will not be set up at 7300.

[quote name='luxman' post='1866751' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:49 PM'][quote name='HiJon89' post='1866616' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:52 PM'][quote name='adam62482' post='1866415' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:23 PM'][quote name='HiJon89' post='1866389' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:11 PM']Got a tee time for next Tuesday at 3:15pm, trying to decide if I should play Whites or Blues. Does it really play to the full 7300 yards from the blues?[/quote]

The course is a beast!
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you are a single digit handicap then playing the blues (as they set them) should not be a problem. Like I posted before, the blue tees will not be set up at 7300.
[/quote]
Well my handicap is single digit in base 20 (where my computer/math people at?)

Sirvinim - we played on saturday and sunday, july 18/19th. we arrived in the parking lot at 515pm friday and was slot #8. on saturday we finished our round around 715pm and got slot #13. if you're just a twosome, you can probably show up by 9pm and still tee off before noon. at least 2 cars in front of us each morning didn't play the black.

my buddies got pull carts, and i carried my bag. one guy got a caddie for the last round since his feet were killing him. i'm in better shape than my buddies, but we all help up
pretty well physically.

Hijon89 - I played the blue tees back on july 4th, and calculated the yardage from the tees they were on after my round. it was around 7350. but, during my weekend of 4 rounds on the black, the blue tees were not nearly as far back during any round. i'd guess they were at about 6900 yards. i did see people play from the back tees, regardless of where the blue tees are setup. i've never seen a marshall on the course.

Luxman - saturday afternoon it took 5.5 hours. sunday afternoon it was 5.75, or 5 hrs 45min. but even our 830am round on sunday took 5.5 hours. unless you're one of the first 2-3 groups, it's going to take at least 5 hours. i'd say the average is 5.5 hours.

Lee

[quote name='lc4jlc4j' post='1866923' date='Aug 5 2009, 04:54 PM']Luxman - saturday afternoon it took 5.5 hours. sunday afternoon it was 5.75, or 5 hrs 45min. but even our 830am round on sunday took 5.5 hours. unless you're one of the first 2-3 groups, it's going to take at least 5 hours. i'd say the average is 5.5 hours.

Lee[/quote]

Lee,

Thanks. Both times I played I was one of the first groups out and played in just under 5 hours both times.

I'll be returning to the Black next weekend. Although it's a great course, the practice facilities (except for the putting green) are not that great.

I would like to know if anybody can point me to somewhere in the area where my foursome can practice. We're looking for a place (course or range) that has reasonably good quality balls, where we can hit on the grass and ideally, where we can practice short game as well.

Anybody know of such a beast near Bethpage ?

Also, any tips on a good but not too expense motel/hotel to stay would be appreciated. Stayed at Bethpage Motel last year but found it too sleazy.

Thanks in advance,

[quote name='LucF' post='1875531' date='Aug 9 2009, 08:46 PM']I'll be returning to the Black next weekend. Although it's a great course, the practice facilities (except for the putting green) are not that great.

I would like to know if anybody can point me to somewhere in the area where my foursome can practice. We're looking for a place (course or range) that has reasonably good quality balls, where we can hit on the grass and ideally, where we can practice short game as well.

Also, any tips on a good but not too expense motel/hotel to stay would be appreciated. Stayed at Bethpage Motel last year but found it too sleazy.

Thanks in advance,[/quote]

You might want to do a search for "Wind Watch." It's about 30 minutes or so from Bethpage. I haven't been there for awhile but I hear they have a pretty good practice area and they also have a pretty nice golf course on the premises. You can also stay there. It's right off the Long Island Expressway - exit 57, I think.

[quote name='chas521' post='1875990' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:33 PM']You might want to do a search for "Wind Watch." It's about 30 minutes or so from Bethpage. I haven't been there for awhile but I hear they have a pretty good practice area and they also have a pretty nice golf course on the premises. You can also stay there. It's right off the Long Island Expressway - exit 57, I think.[/quote]

I did. Looks great. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

[quote name='LucF' post='1875531' date='Aug 9 2009, 08:46 PM']I'll be returning to the Black next weekend. Although it's a great course, the practice facilities (except for the putting green) are not that great.

Thanks in advance,[/quote]

In terms of a hotel I'd recommend the Days Inn in Hicksville is fine.

While I don't know of any practice facilities, here's an idea for you if you are camping out. Instead of getting an early time on the Black, get a late morning one there and book an early time on one of the other courses and use that time up to your Black tee time as a "warmup/practice" round.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='adam62482' post='1908378' date='Aug 23 2009, 01:22 AM']Pretty sure there isnt a twilight rate and the course is booked solid almost everyday except for a few walk ons and no shows since you have to be there 1 hour prior to tee time[/quote]

A buddy of mine and I are planning on heading down there this Wednesday night, getting in the queue for Thursday morning tee-time. Do they book extremely far in advance or is doing something like this feasible?

If you dont mind camping out overnight... you can try to use the telephone tee time system 516-249-0707 but good luck as tee time go within 5 minutes or so when they are released 1 week prior to the actual day. Your chances of playing the course by camping out are probably greater than using this telephone system.

[quote name='adam62482' post='1909631' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:15 PM']Camping out is your better option. Plus you have the Red course there which is also a great course. If you try to get a tee time from the telephone system you wont be playing if you are lucky until one of the last tee times of the day at 4:30. Camp out!!!![/quote]

I totally forgot about the Red. We'd be just as happy playing that.

Do they reserve a certain amount of tee times for people who camp out?

Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

If you arent picky as to what course you are going to play that day... You will have no issue getting out you might not even need to camp out... id register for the tee time system though... who knows you might even be able to play 18 on another one of their courses and get a late afternoon tee time on the black

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the reservation system ONLY for New York State residents? However, no matter where you call home, you can call the phone number and get an announcement prior to entering the registration part. The Green course was just aerated and The Black is coming up soon. There was no schedule posted yet so don't know about the others. I played The Blue yesterday and it wasn't in the best shape. The Red is not full yet [because of the US Open]. I think that #1 and #18 are still shortened. I played The Yellow last week and it was pretty good except for #10 but even that wasn't too bad.

EDIT: When I registered, I had to use my driver's license numbers.

NEW EDIT: Called Bethpage and listened to the entire message. Option 3 DOES give out-of-staters a chance to register. I've never gone past option 2 so I must apologize. However, out-of-staters are only given a 2-day reservation chance. That's gonna be very tough but not impossible.

If you camp out and get there the day before at around 5 PM, you will typically be in the first 10 places, which pretty much guarantees a tee time on the Black. The first 6 tee times of the first hour and one tee time per hour are reserved for campers.

If you camp out and you're with a buddy, the best scenario we found is to rent a room for the one not camping so he at least gets a good night of sleep. There is a Days Inn in Hicksville not too far that I used recently and was referred by someone here. Once the parking "marshall" has registered your car's license plate and the parking spot number you were in at 7 PM, you can take your car to bring your buddy to the hotel and come back to your parking spot within an hour. In the morning, you go pick up your buddy at 4:30 to make it at the parking in time for the marshall's 5 AM round where he distributes the bracelets and bakery tickets that allow you to get your tee time at the pro shop.

You can try the reservation system. You must register by fax first. You might get a tee time for 2 with the system because of cancellations, but it's a long shot. Another option is to just go see the starter at around 6:30 (the first tee time was 6:51 a few days ago) and see if you can get on, but unless you're alone, that's even a longer shot.